Kai Episode 114 (20 July 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 114 (20 July 2014)

Post by Hujio » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:19 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 114, aired 20 July 2014

最強はオレだ!激突 悟空VSベジータ
Saikyō wa Ore da! Gekitotsu Gokū Tai Bejīta
I'm the Strongest! The Clash of Goku vs Vegeta

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kai Episode 114 (20 July 2014)

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:33 pm

That J-World ad at the end. XD Mr. Satan's eyebrows! How different he didn't have one of those heads like they do with their Gokû, Bulma, etc. ones. And that Buu. Babidi looked awful though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:36 pm

I enjoyed that, pacing was good, and it really set things up for the battle just nicely. Hoping to get a nice action packed episode next week :D

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:59 pm

That was a pretty interesting episode. Horikawa is channeling a bit of old school Sabat this week! Incredibly gruff with his delivery. I'm really not sure how I feel about that compared to the far more refined original performance. It seemed to be teetering on excessive and campy - something I've criticised Sabat for a lot in the past. It's not really that big a deal and it's certainly in line with the generally more fierce approach he's taken to the character this time around. I'm still waiting anxiously to see how well he does the famous farewell speech!

Music was mostly good. Again, the 'end of the world, apocalypse inbound' track didn't feel hugely out of place considering the two most fearsome forces were facing each other for the first time in years. It's still not something I really wanted to hear until the more climactic moments of the arc but it gets a pass from me.

The most memorable piece of music was the brand new track featured at the end of the episode. It seemed entirely out of place despite not being a totally terrible track. After 20 minutes of very climactic and cinematic music, it just seemed to totally bring the episode to a very strange and abrupt stop. It's possible that, much like my reaction to many of the other tracks, it's the initial shock factor of hearing a new track that throws me off rather than the placement itself. I guess we'll see how I feel on a rewatch.

The green tint seemed particularly strong this week. I mean, really excessively green! I usually just glaze over and ignore it once I'm into the meat of the episode but it really seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, it doesn't really matter since the Korean broadcast clips look to all but confirm the tint is exclusive to the Japanese broadcast.

That's just a quick cast removal from some screenshots of the stream. Not cel accurate or anything but you get the gist of just how extreme it was.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:03 pm

Off topic but Ajay. Some episodes in the Korean broadcast do have the Green tint. Not all but some.
kei17 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Also, the BGM when Goku arrives is the same in the International Version but when he meets Goten a sweet music is playing there.
Though the dance music still sucks, it's done somewhat better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmsXopCeKcM

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Haven't watched the episode yet, but the green tint hasn't really bothered me too much. I must admit though, that is probably the worst I've seen it so far. Maybe it's because you have the comparison shots, but it's really noticeable this time around. Hopefully, I'll be too into the episode like usual to notice.

neowl

Post by neowl » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:04 am

This episode was very close to the Z counterpart. Only difference I noticed is that Vegeta first Ki blast into the crowd was put at the start of this episode, rather than at the end of the last.

The green tint really bothered me this episode, the first time its managed to do so. It might be because I watched the Dragon Box Z version not 2 hours before, for comparison's sake.

Good episode on the whole, looking forward to the "fated" battle. Am I right to assume there's a break from the show next week?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:11 am

neowl wrote: Am I right to assume there's a break from the show next week?
Yes. There will be no episode next week, July 27th. The next episode will air the week after on August 3rd.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04 am

The framing was a little sloppy.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:33 am

If this were an actual series produced in 16:9 that would've been a nice framing to give the scene some juice. :(
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:36 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:That was a pretty interesting episode. Horikawa is channeling a bit of old school Sabat this week! Incredibly gruff with his delivery. I'm really not sure how I feel about that compared to the far more refined original performance. It seemed to be teetering on excessive and campy - something I've criticised Sabat for a lot in the past. It's not really that big a deal and it's certainly in line with the generally more fierce approach he's taken to the character this time around. I'm still waiting anxiously to see how well he does the famous farewell speech!

Music was mostly good. Again, the 'end of the world, apocalypse inbound' track didn't feel hugely out of place considering the two most fearsome forces were facing each other for the first time in years. It's still not something I really wanted to hear until the more climactic moments of the arc but it gets a pass from me.

The most memorable piece of music was the brand new track featured at the end of the episode. It seemed entirely out of place despite not being a totally terrible track. After 20 minutes of very climactic and cinematic music, it just seemed to totally bring the episode to a very strange and abrupt stop. It's possible that, much like my reaction to many of the other tracks, it's the initial shock factor of hearing a new track that throws me off rather than the placement itself. I guess we'll see how I feel on a rewatch.

The green tint seemed particularly strong this week. I mean, really excessively green! I usually just glaze over and ignore it once I'm into the meat of the episode but it really seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, it doesn't really matter since the Korean broadcast clips look to all but confirm the tint is exclusive to the Japanese broadcast.

That's just a quick cast removal from some screenshots of the stream. Not cel accurate or anything but you get the gist of just how extreme it was.
What is causing the green tint, the remastering?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:24 am

So yeah...lots of excessive staring/reactions and scenery panning shots in this episode, my favorite kinds of filler...sigh.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Wow, surprised at how deep Horikawa's voice got for some of those lines. And those little evil chuckles! Undecided if it's too over-the-top or if I love it...I guess it can be both :lol:

It's really fascinating to hear all the changes in Horikawa's performance, even though when I asked him at a con if he was consciously trying to play Vegeta differently in Kai, he said he wasn't. Granted, that was in 2010, so he may have later decided to change up how he was portraying Vegeta, but I do have to wonder if the changes are being made purposefully, or he's just getting into the moment as he records and it turns out differently than before.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:06 pm

This episode once again proves that Nozawa and Horikawa can do no wrong. These two are considered voice acting legends for a reason.

There was a bit more of the long panning shots/staring matches than I would've cared for in Kai, but it didn't ruin the episode or anything. A fun watch.

This is the point in the Buu arc where things actually get fun and interesting.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 am

Great episode and that Horikawa roaring/deepen voice was breathtaking I'd have loved to hear him more with that type of vocal.

Still, I was disappointed with this episode because I expected to watch Goku Vs. Majin Vegeta and then it turned out this wasn't it yet.. Gotta wait for Sunday again to watch them battle it out finally.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 am

You'll have to wait even longer since it's not on this week!

Deadtuber.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm not entirely sure, I never bothered to confirm the reason. I'm just going by Hujio's joyous tweet.

Perhaps it's some sort of sporting event or holiday programming. I don't know.

Deadtuber.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:33 pm

This week on DB Kai: Everybody becomes a Legendary Super Saiyan.
Starring your hated friend: Green Tint!

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Why? The description says that episode 115 will air on July 27.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7vByDpzBjQ
It's hard to say for me since all I have to go on is a VERY rough Google Chrome translation, but the description does seem to imply that episode 115 will air on 7/27. Maybe someone who can read it could let us know. :)