Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Black_Liger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:I find it funny that everyone forgets about the good tracks when a bad track appears. it's like they really ignore that some of the soundtrack is actually great XD
:lol: Can't agree more.People are sometimes so hard and demanding.
IMO, about 70~80% of the tracks are great, but the remaining 20~30% ​​are particularly bad (gosh, the first 4~5 episodes :thumbdown: )...I sometimes wonder "Is it really from Sumitomo ? WTF :crazy: ".If you listen to his previous works (Shikabane Hime Aka, Shikabane Hime Kuro, Asura, Unfair : The Movie, Thermae Romae, Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna, just to name a few), it usually goes from the sublime to the ridiculously bad...this is perhaps why he's still one of my favorite composers, you never know what to expect with him.

I should remind everyone the Kikuchi score had those "TWOINK" Sounds that pretty much destroyed all seriousness in the scenes it played. For example. The sad music when Bora Died was destroyed by the Twoinks, and If I remember correctly, the Goku vs Freeza pre-match stare down had those twoinks. I regard that as a Fail in the soundtrack. The vibraslap, I can take, but those comedic crappy twoinks have no place in serious tracks. :P

*raises shield for stones*
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3920
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by kei17 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:51 am

Black_Liger wrote:I should remind everyone the Kikuchi score had those "TWOINK" Sounds that pretty much destroyed all seriousness in the scenes it played. For example. The sad music when Bora Died was destroyed by the Twoinks, and If I remember correctly, the Goku vs Freeza pre-match stare down had those twoinks. I regard that as a Fail in the soundtrack. The vibraslap, I can take, but those comedic crappy twoinks have no place in serious tracks. :P

*raises shield for stones*
And I'm the one who throws a stone first. The "TWOINK" sound you're talking about is Jew's harp, which was a major instrument among anime music until the 1980s. It WAS used for comical music back then, too, but it wasn't always supposed to sound funny. You can often hear its sound in serious moments in old anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3H9BWNdPgo

Things have changed since then, and Jew's harp rapidly became out-of-date. Today, you rarely hear "Twoinks" in anime music, and even when you do, it's always comical moments. You find it funny or unfitting because you don't know how it was supposed to be at the time. Don't make it out to be an absolute problem on the composer's side. It's the same as the orchestra hit sound which was often used in pop songs in the '80s. Now you find it extemrely cheesy or even funny.

Also, I think that the problem with that Bora's death scene is because of the music placement rather than the track itself. It has no problem in other scenes.

Incidentally, I quote my post:
kei17 wrote:I know that you're a very enthusiastic Sumitomo fan, but you don't have to defend him by critically referring to other composers every time someone criticizes Sumitomo's work. I've seen it several times before.
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Black_Liger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am

kei17 wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:I should remind everyone the Kikuchi score had those "TWOINK" Sounds that pretty much destroyed all seriousness in the scenes it played. For example. The sad music when Bora Died was destroyed by the Twoinks, and If I remember correctly, the Goku vs Freeza pre-match stare down had those twoinks. I regard that as a Fail in the soundtrack. The vibraslap, I can take, but those comedic crappy twoinks have no place in serious tracks. :P

*raises shield for stones*
And I'm the one who throws a stone first. The "TWOINK" sound you're talking about is Jew's harp, which was a major instrumental among anime music until the 1980s. It WAS used for comical music back then, too, but it wasn't always supposed to sound funny. You can often hear its sound in serious moments in old anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3H9BWNdPgo

Things have changed since then, and Jew's harp rapidly became out-of-date. Today, you rarely hear "Twoinks" in anime music, and even when you do, it's always comical moments. You find it funny or unfitting because you don't know how it was supposed to be at the time. Don't make it out to be an absolute problem on the composer's side. It's the same as the orchestra hit sound which was often used in pop songs in the '80s. Now you find it extemrely cheesy or even funny.

Also, I think that the problem with that Bora's death scene is because of the music placement rather than the track itself. It has no problem in other scenes.

Incidentally, I quote my post:
kei17 wrote:I know that you're a very enthusiastic Sumitomo fan, but you don't have to defend him by critically referring to other composers every time someone criticizes Sumitomo's work. I've seen it several times before.
Wow, so that was a trend back then? that changes things a lot, I still think it ruins the moment, but if it was a trend, then I consider it a necessary evil. My wording was a little rude, but I didn't intended it as a complete failure on the kikuchi score, my point was that people seem to over criticize, of course, there are BAD soundtracks in sumitomo's score, but the orchestral parts of the score are real good. If my comments offend you, I'm sorry. :O
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 pm

So the fight wrapped up in 3 episodes just as I predicted, this does not bode well for the Gotenks fight.

User avatar
Freeza Soldier #156
Regular
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:35 am

MR.Mark wrote:So the fight wrapped up in 3 episodes just as I predicted, this does not bode well for the Gotenks fight.
It's hard to say what's going to happen. If the rumors about the Japanese broadcast episode count are true, then we have just under 30 episodes left. This most recent episode has pretty much covered through DBZ 234 which leaves about 57 Z episodes left to cover. They still have about 30 episodes worth of material to trim down, so a lot of stuff still has to go.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:22 am

ShinGaijin wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:I find it funny that everyone forgets about the good tracks when a bad track appears. it's like they really ignore that some of the soundtrack is actually great XD
:lol: Can't agree more.People are sometimes so hard and demanding.
Nowadays, it's pretty much like that for everything, it looks like one rencent bad thing makes most people forget about all other good things.
People have a tendancy to focus on the one bad thing rather than the rest, they focus on the black cloud far away forgetting that 90% of the sky over their head is still pure blue and sunshine...
That tendancy is not just on the Internet, but of course Internet makes it easier to "feed each other" and make it even worse in some cases.

That new Boo theme seems to be more appreciated by French fans so far, they praise the fact that this composer - just like in Battle of Gods - acknowledges the author's influences (Egyptian for Beerus, oriental for several tracks of the Boo saga and the Boo theme).
On my part, without it being exceptionnal, I find it quite good and on spot to define Boo: it has a sense of weirdness (like Boo) through the electronic riffs, a sense of childish playfulness (like Boo) with the "triangle" stuff, a sense of potential danger with the melody (Boo always being potentially dangerous), all wrapped in some sort of distorted oriental vibe (representing what Boo is). Goes well to introduce that weird character showing his weird behavior.

Post Reply