Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:01 am

I had the feeling that Yamamuro was working on this episode when I noticed this:
A lot of Resurrection 'F'ish shots and I'm totally cool with that.

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 am

ekrolo2 wrote:It would still be better than turning him into some weird Cell & Buu Saga asshole hybrid he randomly is during RoF.
Frieza/Cell saga Vegeta is the best Vegeta. I loved his arrogance.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 am

So it looks like the arc ends next episode. I have mixed feelings. I expected a completely worse version of Battle of Gods, but ended up getting something very enjoyable and something that, until episode 12, I'd consider superior to BoG. I'll guess I have to wait until next episode for the final verdict, but it definitely ended up better than what I expected, even if I was disappointed in some aspects. Next episode doesn't look too promising, since we're getting our seventh Kamehameha in the arc, but maybe we'll get some interesting character stuff. Beerus acknowledging Goku by his name and remembering it, unlike in BoG where he forgot it, would complete his character arc very nicely and would definitely make the entire episode for me.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:41 am

Doctor. wrote:So it looks like the arc ends next episode. I have mixed feelings. I expected a completely worse version of Battle of Gods, but ended up getting something very enjoyable and something that, until episode 12, I'd consider superior to BoG. I'll guess I have to wait until next episode for the final verdict, but it definitely ended up better than what I expected, even if I was disappointed in some aspects. Next episode doesn't look too promising, since we're getting our seventh Kamehameha in the arc, but maybe we'll get some interesting character stuff. Beerus acknowledging Goku by his name and remembering it, unlike in BoG where he forgot it, would complete his character arc very nicely and would definitely make the entire episode for me.
How many kamehamehas were fired at the Cell Games?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:How many kamehamehas were fired at the Cell Games?
Seven as well. Two by Goku, two by Gohan, and three by Cell.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:02 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:So it looks like the arc ends next episode. I have mixed feelings. I expected a completely worse version of Battle of Gods, but ended up getting something very enjoyable and something that, until episode 12, I'd consider superior to BoG. I'll guess I have to wait until next episode for the final verdict, but it definitely ended up better than what I expected, even if I was disappointed in some aspects. Next episode doesn't look too promising, since we're getting our seventh Kamehameha in the arc, but maybe we'll get some interesting character stuff. Beerus acknowledging Goku by his name and remembering it, unlike in BoG where he forgot it, would complete his character arc very nicely and would definitely make the entire episode for me.
How many kamehamehas were fired at the Cell Games?
7, 9 if you count everything from the Android arc in total.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:31 am

Finally got round to this episode! And another fantastic episode at that too (for the most part), the animation in particular. Mr. Satan and Earth cutaways were handled pretty well, but my god that music in the last scene took me out of it :thumbdown: totally ruined the scene. The first time they used it I was like right whatever probably a one off but nope they keep using that annoying jingle at the end of each episode, why?!?!?!

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Whoever did this scene should be proud
Thank you Toei :clap:
This part looks awesome,i just hope the next episode will be a fast paced fight like this,This kind of fight is very epic to me,the biggest example is the Goku vs. Cell fight.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:51 am

Great episode, more episodes like this and I'll readily put this series above Z.

I noticed the animation gets much better once Goku gets a SSJ aura. I wonder if it's actually easier to animate SSJ than SSG? That might explain why they went to SSGSS too, as that's basically SSJ in blue, no nuclear glowing CG.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:54 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Great episode, more episodes like this and I'll readily put this series above Z.

I noticed the animation gets much better once Goku gets a SSJ aura. I wonder if it's actually easier to animate SSJ than SSG? That might explain why they went to SSGSS too, as that's basically SSJ in blue, no nuclear glowing CG.
The animation improves because the key animators employed for the second half of the episode are a little better. The aura for Super Saiyan God seems to be computer generated, but the aura for Super Saiyan is hand drawn.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:35 pm

I want battles to be as interesting as this again :C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9HhI6ctlc
Last edited by Black_Liger on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Black_Liger wrote:I want battles to be as interesting as this again :C

Original Dragon Ball was the most consistent in terms of animation of all series, and the battles were incredible well done
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:48 pm

Noah wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:I want battles to be as interesting as this again :C

Original Dragon Ball was the most consistent in terms of animation of all series, and the battles were incredible well done
Even if the battles where on an inferior scale, they still were more grand in design than what we have now, I mean, we now go around the atmosphere. but the style of animation and detail gave DB battles the punch that most battles in Super Lack, and there was actual martial arts. Now it's like, Punch-punch-power-explosion (or) Send flying-Explosion- Power up Rinse and Repeat.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:50 pm

I think Dragon Ball (the anime) has the worst fights in the series precisely because the animation is incredibly outdated, unlike Z's, which is more inconsistent, but its best fights still hold up really well today. That clip you just posted was not particularly impressive at all. The same frames being repeated over and over again.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think Dragon Ball (the anime) has the worst fights in the series precisely because the animation is incredibly outdated, unlike Z's, which is more inconsistent, but its best fights still hold up really well today. That clip you just posted was not particularly impressive at all. The same frames being repeated over and over again.
Execution brother, execution.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm

I don't understand. You say the older fights were better because they actually showed off martial arts, but that clip you posted doesn't show off martial arts, just a flurry of punches being thrown while the opponent dodges, the same few frames being repeated over and over again; just like in some of Z's fights. Super has interesting choreography that resembles martial arts, actually.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:38 pm

At least the new animation manages to keep the auras present a lot more often, making things more visually stimulating where as Z took every chance to get rid of them quickly.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:42 pm

This series continues its trend of terrible pacing and lackluster fighting. Sure, some of the animation in this one was okay, but only for short spurts, and the action never lasted long wnough. The way things are moving, I'm just bored out of my wits. They should have been at 100% two episodes ago, easily... but here we are, still "finally getting serious".
ekrolo2 wrote:At least the new animation manages to keep the auras present a lot more often, making things more visually stimulating where as Z took every chance to get rid of them quickly.
Believe it or not? I hate the auras. I feel like they clutter the action, are an unnecessary addition that also tax the budget, and often look really, terribly ugly. Especially the God auras.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Legit martial arts choreography is only exciting on a smaller scale, which is what Dragon Ball had (as well as other Shonen shows). Seeing characters progressively become faster (you know, visually, not by word of mouth) and leap up into the sky is pretty exciting, even if all that's presented are flurry of punches by that point. Eventually, however, the scales continue to increase until it's impossible to do anything new as far as traditional combat is concerned--it's already become less about super realistic choreography, and characters have gotten as fast and strong as you can possibly animate them. At this point, it becomes more about supernatural techniques, imo. For example, Buu. By that saga, we had seen everything as far as battles are concerned, but then this creature comes along (as well as Gotenks) and made fights interesting thanks to his plethora of erratic abilities.

Villains like Buu, Janemba, and Hirudegarn are desperately needed in the near future (i.e. monsters with unique abilities that provide equally unique experiences for the viewer). Otherwise, every single battle is going to be the same shit over and over, only with a consistently greater chance for universal (or multiversal) calamity each time, which will honestly get ridiculous very soon (it already has, tbh) unless they save it for the final fight.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Auras, especially if one wants for them to look cool, take extra time to draw, especially during movement. It makes sense for there to be so little use of them during action cuts.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter