Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 pm

MCDaveG wrote:So it is like a project of some people you know? Like fan project? I don't get it at all, it's confusing.
dictionary.com wrote: Malarky
[muh-lahr-kee]

noun, Informal.
1. speech or writing designed to obscure, mislead, or impress; bunkum:

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Wow, hearing what GT should have been I am glad they fired that team. Ssj 6, 7 bla bla. I think the road Akira is currently taken, is the right one. Ssjgodssj no ssj more. But honestly a ssj4 would have been nice .

Gmez9

Post by Gmez9 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:36 am

No, they were made by toei.

After gts run, they still tried to reduce the damage (financial) by creating 7 more gt specials and other Dragonball related things that would follow (which some fell through, most never saw the light of day)

Around 1998 after the 10th anniversary special for Dragonball, they created the corruption of son goku specials. 6 part, 45 minutes each had location tests (private screenings) to test before putting them on the market. Scores were low, they were already over 800k in the hole, so to have it finalized, advertised, aired, DVD and vhs, would have put them over 2 million for something that would have lost them even more money.

Toei decided to cancel its release and to scrap the other gt specials. That was a wrap pretty much....

Then ultimate came about in toeis second attempt at trying to revive the series hiring a new team. Production for ultimate started second quarter 2002, but was conceived in late 2000- early 2001. Due to discrepancies, lawsuits, and other factors behind the scenes led to the misfortune of Dragonball Ultimate not being released despite being better than all previous series in terms of action, power, story of origin and explanations, and closure.

In 2004, investors decided to pull the plug on ultimate and invested into naruto and one-piece, as their manga series were very popular. They made their money, eventually had what you call the big 3, and moved on sweeping ultimate under the rug even after animating 3 entire sagas and majority of the side films.

Ironically, they claim that over the years, the particular warehouse they had the ultimates stored along with multiple other series got caught in a fire back in 2007.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:36 am

Your descriptions about how investors for these products work (and the crossover between franchises) is dreadfully inaccurate, nevermind the entire rest of what you're saying. Enough is enough. This is not the place (this thread, specifically) for this kind of nonsense, please and thank you.

EDIT: Your continued responses will just be deleted. I can't reinforce any more how this is not the appropriate place for your fairy tales.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

zcherub

Post by zcherub » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:48 pm

So, getting back to Super - why is the art not that good? I get the style is different (skinnier characters, etc), but the proportions being off is a consistent thing, particularly around their eyes. They're not even with each other (particularly when drawn with the character at a 45º turn, & they're frequently too far apart (they'll draw the brow "furrow", leave a gap on either side, then draw the beginning of the interior of the eyebrows resulting in a wide face with eyes too far apart & an overall derpy look). Any hope to have this fixed going forward? Would love to see good art with the nice animation...

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:56 pm

zcherub wrote:So, getting back to Super - why is the art not that good? I get the style is different (skinnier characters, etc), but the proportions being off is a consistent thing, particularly around their eyes. They're not even with each other (particularly when drawn with the character at a 45º turn, & they're frequently too far apart (they'll draw the brow "furrow", leave a gap on either side, then draw the beginning of the interior of the eyebrows resulting in a wide face with eyes too far apart & an overall derpy look). Any hope to have this fixed going forward? Would love to see good art with the nice animation...
Non-critical scenes being offmodel has happened all through DB/DBZ. I think they are just offmodel in a way people are not used to. My guess is that the stock animators are likely just not used to the DBZ art style so the mistakes they make are different than the mistakes animators made in the past (and what the audience considers a "normal" variation).

zcherub

Post by zcherub » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:29 pm

irreality wrote:
zcherub wrote:So, getting back to Super - why is the art not that good? I get the style is different (skinnier characters, etc), but the proportions being off is a consistent thing, particularly around their eyes. They're not even with each other (particularly when drawn with the character at a 45º turn, & they're frequently too far apart (they'll draw the brow "furrow", leave a gap on either side, then draw the beginning of the interior of the eyebrows resulting in a wide face with eyes too far apart & an overall derpy look). Any hope to have this fixed going forward? Would love to see good art with the nice animation...
Non-critical scenes being offmodel has happened all through DB/DBZ. I think they are just offmodel in a way people are not used to. My guess is that the stock animators are likely just not used to the DBZ art style so the mistakes they make are different than the mistakes animators made in the past (and what the audience considers a "normal" variation).
I get that - when the "B team" in 90s DB came on, their eyes weren't too far apart, bit too wide. I guess my concern in that we've seen no "A team" work on Super yet...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:48 pm

irreality wrote:
The industry is completely different from when Dragon Ball Z was made compared to Dragon Ball Super. The former had a regular rotation of sub-contracting teams and a mostly set in-house team, with occasional differences in key animators and later animation supervisors. Dragon Ball Super is produced in an era where series are being forced into production on too short a notice for animators to be recruited because so many series, films and specials are in production at once. Less staff, less time and less money makes for a worse product. It is only just now in the second quarter of broadcasting that some regularity and stability is beginning to come to Dragon Ball Super, as evidenced by Episode #18 supposedly retaining the same core staff as Episode #11.

Animation Supervisors Tate Naoki and Shimanuki Masahiro both worked on the first three series. Most of the other animation supervisors worked on Disk Wars: Avengers, which had Yamamuro Tadayoshi and Tate Naoki as the character designers. Yashima Yoshitaka and Kitano Yukihiro definitely have experience with Dragon Ball-esque designs, the problem is everyone is having to scramble just to get episodes out the door.
zcherub wrote:
irreality wrote:
I get that - when the "B team" in 90s DB came on, their eyes weren't too far apart, bit too wide. I guess my concern in that we've seen no "A team" work on Super yet...
There aren't set animation teams for Dragon Ball Super, it's whoever is available when the storyboard is finished. If there is ever going to be anything close to an 'A-team' for Super it will be one of Tate Naoki's episodes.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:07 am

Could one write in Japanese what is said at the end of the episode at about 21.27 m after Beerus and Goku laugh and fight?

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:44 pm

No one can help me

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:14 am

Lupin879 wrote:No one can help me
Well this is an archive of posts barely viewed by anyone anymore.
You should just ask in the translations thread instead, even though there isn't much activity there either.

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:22 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Lupin879 wrote:No one can help me
Well this is an archive of posts barely viewed by anyone anymore.
You should just ask in the translations thread instead, even though there isn't much activity there either.
Thanks so much but where is the translation thread please ?