Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:54 am

sintzu wrote:
Basako wrote:It may be about speed, so that could be a reason to go with SSG.
Blue is the next form so logically it's faster as well.
Not necessarily, the fitter body may be a sign of higher agility and speed. The blue is far stronger.
Heno heno kappa!

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 am

KingKaash wrote:I didn't like that Piccolo basically copied Rozie's ki blast trap attack in the same episode to eliminate Rubalt. A little more variety, especially for a tactician like Piccolo, would've been nice to see from the writers. Also Rubalt didn't show any special techniques so it doesn't look like Piccolo had much to worry about. But I guess I should be happy Gohan's mentor Piccolo wasn't eliminated.
Huh? Piccolo used that same tactic in his fight against Android 17 back in the Cell arc.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:08 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
KingKaash wrote:I didn't like that Piccolo basically copied Rozie's ki blast trap attack in the same episode to eliminate Rubalt. A little more variety, especially for a tactician like Piccolo, would've been nice to see from the writers. Also Rubalt didn't show any special techniques so it doesn't look like Piccolo had much to worry about. But I guess I should be happy Gohan's mentor Piccolo wasn't eliminated.
Huh? Piccolo used that same tactic in his fight against Android 17 back in the Cell arc.
Ok that's true. So then Rozie should've done something different. Seeing the same exact move being done twice in the same episode was not very entertaining to me
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 am

Rip Gowasu sama. What a depressing ending! I liked Obuni as he not only was pretty cool and strong, he was pretty respectful to Gohan. Perhaps it was a kind of invisible bond Obuni had with him since they both have a wife and kid. Gowasu telling him he did well at the end was heartbreaking...but they all took it like a boss.

I expect some reactions from Goku or at least our Kaioshin at the start of the next episode or it'll be pretty dumb imo...

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:23 am

I was honestly quite surprised Gohan didn't turn to the Omni-King and shout "Zeno-Sama, stop!!" possibly even firing a ki blast at the Zenos raised hands. Or, perhaps smarter, and more in his character, Gohan might have fell to his knees and said something like, "Omni-Kings, please, don't do this!!" before Universe 10 was erased. Leave it at that. No further begging or monologue about morality. Zeno hesitates for a moment, maybe Gohan even gets rebuked (smacked down? sealed in Hakai-energy temporarily? disqualified? #rekt?) for his comment, but the Zenos erase Universe 10 anyway without exchanging a single word with the young, half-Saiyan. Very surprised nothing of that sort happened.

Overall, though, really good episode. 17 is killing it.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 am

KingKaash wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Ok that's true. So then Rozie should've done something different. Seeing the same exact move being done twice in the same episode was not very entertaining to me
Yes the move originated from Piccolo back in Z. It made Piccolo's victory seem less than what it should been, seeing the same attack being used in an episode and him being the second one to use it.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:43 am

Finally, the best Goku form is back next episode

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:48 am

2 universes down now which did not even provide much of a challenge for any decent fighter.

Goku does seem to get himself into difficult situations and will surely have to stop being in his is base form. Was 17 at full power in this episode? If not was is the point of keeping these Universe 2 fighters around if they had no chance now. This is the same with Universe 6 Saiyans.

Botamo seems to react way too late to situations and relies way to much on his ability. This means Universe 6 have finally lost a fighter. Piccolo and Goku are the definition of really calm fighters.

Gohan is thinking too much and seems to think that everything is some kind of pattern which will damage him in the future. Also was that his Ultimate form already?

Piccolo seems to like gettng hit on purpose in Dragon Ball Super so he can finish people off quickly. Beerus and the rest on the side didn't even react to Piccolo getting hit and it was like they knew there was nothing to worry about.

Gohan and Piccolo seem to be just walking around as if it is some casual training session.

In the next episode why are Goku and Hit working together as they are suppose to be knocking each other out and why is Goku gping red when he has already gone blue. Are Dyspo and the other pride trooper really this strong? Hit looks like he is in trouble easily and that does not serm right to me. If Goku and Hit win will they face each other?

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:58 am

Decent episode.
C17 again was badass.

But not one scene of Vegeta, Frieza or Jiren?

But we need to see more of Goku foolin around as usual

I really hope Goku vs Jiren isnt the Final Battle and Gokus overconfiedence leads to a Ringout at the end of the ToP.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:28 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Having two different characters using that scatter shot technique seemed lazy. Both cases were rip-offs of Piccolo's original battle with Android 17, only with little emotion attached. You can call this a homage, but Super has been doing stuff like this so much, I'm convinced the creators have no imagination and are just reusing scenes from the superior show to compensate.
So apparently characters reusing the same attacks suddenly became such a huge problem now?
fadeddreams5 wrote:So Gohan is over there punching Botamo for like a minute. Goku appears and is like "I'm sure Gohan has a strategy against Botamo." As you would expect from the guy who was hired as captain and has come up with other grand masterful plans in this tournament (e.g. hiding, and making a friend circle), Gohan does not disappoint: he punches Botamo EVEN HARDER. lol. Botamo just stood there taking it cause even he was dazzled that someone could concoct such a brilliant strategy. Seriously, these writers are terrible.

Yeah and that constant volley of punches succeeded in lifting up Botamo towards the edge of the ring for Gohan to knock Botamo out of the tournament stage. It was an intentionally wacky way to win the battle and I sure got in a few chuckles.
fadeddreams5 wrote:Did anyone notice Gohan going ultimate? I know, I nearly missed it too. He might as well have burped to power up. It was the equivalent of Tien or Krillin powering up. No dramatic music, earthquakes, or even a change of pace. The battle just repeated the same afterimage, punch punch nonsense, only Gohan could endure a punch in the gut now. Goodness, they should NOT have revealed his ultimate form in that recruitment episode. The scene there should have been reserved for the tournament in a sequence where he is getting his ass beat, and he should have subsequently single-handedly taken out 5 Universe 10 guys on his own. That would have been much cooler.

Huh? It was made obvious enough that Gohan transformed into his Ultimate Form. Not every transformation needs to follow the same pattern of dramatic atmosphere and music. The fight between Gohan and Obuni was well choreographed enough with Tate's fluid expressions and Obuni's ability to create feints of himself.
fadeddreams5 wrote:So Universe 10 just perished. You know, the only other universe we knew about prior to this tournament. Why was there hardly any emotion in this scene? Throwing in a little locket, reminding us of the obvious, didn't add to the fact that this was all so garsh darn hollow. Gohan was staring at it like, "Damn. That sucks...oh well, let's go Mr. Piccolo." Gohan's battle against Tournament Contestant #34 was a good opportunity to create a connection with said character that could have made all of this so much more impacting. In any other anime, this would have been the cue for Talk No Jutsu to be used against Zeno, or at least yell "Noooo!!!".
I'd say this is by far one of the most powerful scenes in Super. Not just because of Gowasu's depressing tone and the entire team accepting their erasure, but how much weight Onpi's locket held with it containing a picture of him and his wife and child.

Just the depressing music along with the sorrowful expression on Gohan's face upon laying his eyes on the locket belonging to the person he eliminated himself and seeing it then vanish out of existence. It's definitely something Gohan connects and sympathizes with considering he entered the tournament for the sole purpose of protecting not only his universe, but his family as well. Seeing another person sharing that same fiery determination and momentum to protect their dear ones just downright fail to keep said promise would definitely hit a nerve.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 am

Onibaku wrote:Finally, the best Goku form is back next episode
SS3 isn't back :P
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:50 am

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:Look at the strategy Goku is using.
Why does he even need strategy against someone that weak ? he should've delt with her like he did recoom on Namek. Most of these characters could be handled like that but for some reason they're trying to create fake tension. Same thing with Piccolo, he could've easily turned that guy into dust before he even hit him but like Goku, for some reason he had trouble with him.
Goku flat out said he was studying the girls' fighting style. You almost sound like you're bothered when the show explains what its doing because you want it to go another way.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:53 am

fadeddreams5 wrote: -Having two different characters using that scatter shot technique seemed lazy. Both cases were rip-offs of Piccolo's original battle with Android 17, only with little emotion attached. You can call this a homage, but Super has been doing stuff like this so much, I'm convinced the creators have no imagination and are just reusing scenes from the superior show to compensate.
Goku and Gohan end numerous battles with a Kamehameha, it's all good. Piccolo uses the Hellzone Grenade more than once, everyone loses their shit :lol:

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:54 am

precita wrote:Goku flat out said he was studying the girls' fighting style. You almost sound like you're bothered when the show explains what its doing because you want it to go another way.
Expectations, the mother of disappointment.

It's scary how many people start a sentence with "i am expecting...this that..."
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 am

Pluto wrote:
precita wrote:Goku flat out said he was studying the girls' fighting style. You almost sound like you're bothered when the show explains what its doing because you want it to go another way.
Expectations, the mother of disappointment.

It's scary how many people start a sentence with "i am expecting...this that..."
I notice a general problem is a lot of people treat Super like their own fanfiction or want things to go whatever way they imagine it in their minds, and then when it doesn't happen in the show they get very angry or disappointed. I don't get it.

Nor do I understand why people think Piccolo's fight in this episode, against just a random opponent, needed to go on any longer than it did. It was essentially Piccolo's first fight against yet another fodder opponent. The main draw was Gohan against the strongest U10 fighter.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 am

sintzu wrote: These issues were never in the original. Goku was always a great fighter from day 1 yet out of nowhere everyone can get the drop on him.
Why is everyone forgetting how Majin Vegeta knocked him out?

Also, Vegeta's problem was not stated, but heavily implied. He was shown to train too heavily out of an obsession to surpass Kakarot and not resting properly.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:02 am

Saturnine wrote: Goku and Gohan end numerous battles with a Kamehameha, it's all good. Piccolo uses the Hellzone Grenade more than once, everyone loses their shit :lol:

That was the point, it wasn't Piccolo. We see Rozie (?) use it before him, and that move was kinda unique to him. Granted, the idea behind the move isn't so complicated that only he could come up with it, but still, you can't help but think they didn't bother to put more thought into creative ways the others could fight.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:06 am

Michsi wrote:
Saturnine wrote: Goku and Gohan end numerous battles with a Kamehameha, it's all good. Piccolo uses the Hellzone Grenade more than once, everyone loses their shit :lol:

That was the point, it wasn't Piccolo. We see Rozie (?) use it before him, and that move was kinda unique to him. Granted, the idea behind the move isn't so complicated that only he could come up with it, but still, you can't help but think they didn't bother to put more thought into creative ways the others could fight.
Yeah, her technique was indeed a touch too similar. But I wouldn't complain anyway - it's within the realm of plausibility that she independently came up with a similar form of attack. Also, the episode introduced a quite unique style of feints in the form of Obuni, so it's not all that bad. Of course it could have been better but oh well.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Re: RIP Obuni

Post by VintageSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 am

Ashkun wrote:Bye Obuni, you were my new favorite dude. :(
He and Gohan would have been solid buds

It wouldn't work with the plot or Gohan general smart characteristic.
But it would of been cool at the moment when Obuni and universe 10 were erased, Gohan just blows up in a rage "Why Does everything have to be erased!" and goes after the omnikings, beats the guards, the priest appears and Gohan then gets a hit on the priest and then the GP counters and sends Gohan flying through the stage.

Overall I enjoyed this episode more then previous weeks!

You mean Super actually having in character moments that would have an impact and progress the story?? Surely you're joking.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:26 am

terrible at the erasing moment, they reused the same scene from u9 episode and there was no comment from anyone about the erasing. youl think that with gowasu knows goku and vegeta they would react somehow. or at least shin. but no