Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
gofishus wrote:
omaro34 wrote:I don't believe these universes that get erased will be gone forever. They will get wished back after Goku wins the ToP.
kind of makes it anticlimatic dont u think
I think with the context of this arc, an ending like would work very well.
Why so? What's the point of Zeno(s) wanting to erase universes just to someone wish them back? Shouldn't he or the Grand Priest be mad about it?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Noah wrote:Why so? What's the point of Zeno(s) wanting to erase universes just to someone wish them back? Shouldn't he or the Grand Priest be mad about it?
It's like killing characters off, they do it to cause tension then they bring them back.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:38 pm

sintzu wrote:It's like killing characters off, they do it to cause tension then they bring them back.
Sure, but that's when the main cast abuse of the Earth/Namek Dragon Balls, we're talking about a tournament for the universes Zeno intended to erase with no warning for the balance of whatever. Someone wishing everyone back makes everything pointless. I think relocate everyone to U7 could work better I guess.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Toribot finally comes down from the heavens and says nope to Zeno.

But that would be funny :lol:
Yea, that'd be slummpy :lol:
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Noah wrote:
sintzu wrote:It's like killing characters off, they do it to cause tension then they bring them back.
Sure, but that's when the main cast abuse of the Earth/Namek Dragon Balls, we're talking about a tournament for the universes Zeno intended to erase with no warning for the balance of whatever. Someone wishing everyone back makes everything pointless. I think relocate everyone to U7 could work better I guess.
So how powerful are the Super Dragon Balls? Can someone just wish for every universe Zeno destroyed to be recreated? Can someone wish Zeno to be destroyed?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 pm

gofishus wrote:So how powerful are the Super Dragon Balls? Can someone just wish for every universe Zeno destroyed to be recreated? Can someone wish Zeno to be destroyed?

Well, it depends if this Zalama guy is an entity above Zeno, which we don't know yet.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:20 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I'll just copy and paste from the other thread:

This episode was terrible. It's one of those cases of events unfolding that, on paper, should be exciting, but the execution making everything horrendously anti-climactic and hollow.

-Having two different characters using that scatter shot technique seemed lazy. Both cases were rip-offs of Piccolo's original battle with Android 17, only with little emotion attached. You can call this a homage, but Super has been doing stuff like this so much, I'm convinced the creators have no imagination and are just reusing scenes from the superior show to compensate.

-So Gohan is over there punching Botamo for like a minute. Goku appears and is like "I'm sure Gohan has a strategy against Botamo." As you would expect from the guy who was hired as captain and has come up with other grand masterful plans in this tournament (e.g. hiding, and making a friend circle), Gohan does not disappoint: he punches Botamo EVEN HARDER. lol. Botamo just stood there taking it cause even he was dazzled that someone could concoct such a brilliant strategy. Seriously, these writers are terrible.

-Did anyone notice Gohan going ultimate? I know, I nearly missed it too. He might as well have burped to power up. It was the equivalent of Tien or Krillin powering up. No dramatic music, earthquakes, or even a change of pace. The battle just repeated the same afterimage, punch punch nonsense, only Gohan could endure a punch in the gut now. Goodness, they should NOT have revealed his ultimate form in that recruitment episode. The scene there should have been reserved for the tournament in a sequence where he is getting his ass beat, and he should have subsequently single-handedly taken out 5 Universe 10 guys on his own. That would have been much cooler.

-So Universe 10 just perished. You know, the only other universe we knew about prior to this tournament. Why was there hardly any emotion in this scene? Throwing in a little locket, reminding us of the obvious, didn't add to the fact that this was all so garsh darn hollow. Gohan was staring at it like, "Damn. That sucks...oh well, let's go Mr. Piccolo." Gohan's battle against Tournament Contestant #34 was a good opportunity to create a connection with said character that could have made all of this so much more impacting. In any other anime, this would have been the cue for Talk No Jutsu to be used against Zeno, or at least yell "Noooo!!!".

On a side note, they dropped the ball by not having Goku Black part of Universe 10. We already hit fan service category; one more wouldn't have hurt.
Wanted to post something but you honestly nailed what I was gonna post. This episode is really bad and feels amateurish with the fights and interaction. They really need to step their game up, I'm legit tired of all the poorly drawn punch scenes that get spammed over and over and the over usage of Scatter Shot.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:11 am

Kokonoe wrote:

This episode was terrible. It's one of those cases of events unfolding that, on paper, should be exciting, but the execution making everything horrendously anti-climactic and hollow.

-Did anyone notice Gohan going ultimate? I know, I nearly missed it too. He might as well have burped to power up. It was the equivalent of Tien or Krillin powering up. No dramatic music, earthquakes, or even a change of pace. The battle just repeated the same afterimage, punch punch nonsense, only Gohan could endure a punch in the gut now. Goodness, they should NOT have revealed his ultimate form in that recruitment episode. The scene there should have been reserved for the tournament in a sequence where he is getting his ass beat, and he should have subsequently single-handedly taken out 5 Universe 10 guys on his own. That would have been much cooler.
Wanted to post something but you honestly nailed what I was gonna post. This episode is really bad and feels amateurish with the fights and interaction. They really need to step their game up, I'm legit tired of all the poorly drawn punch scenes that get spammed over and over and the over usage of Scatter Shot.
Not all transformations need to be big events, the transformation in this episode was fine. Transformations, unless they're actually game-changers like SSG or SSB, really shouldn't have that much screen time devoted to them. Here, it was simply Gohan showing he was taking the fight seriously, it didn't need to be a big moment. fadeddreams5 suggestion almost comes off blind fanboyism.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:

Not all transformations need to be big events, the transformation in this episode was fine. Transformations, unless they're actually game-changers like SSG or SSB, really shouldn't have that much screen time devoted to them. Here, it was simply Gohan showing he was taking the fight seriously, it didn't need to be a big moment. fadeddreams5 suggestion almost comes off blind fanboyism.
I have no idea how it's blind fanboyism to want a transformation that hadn't been shown previously in the tournament to have a much more memorable first appearance, considering how much it was hyped up in the recruitment episodes. Kale got an epic transformation, despite us seeing it previously. SSJB always gets dramatic appearances, despite it being a tired transformation. And I'm sure Golden Frieza will be as over-the-top as possible. Gohan always gets the short end of the stick.

Ultimate Gohan, believe it or not, is a bigger deal than all the other transformations I mentioned, given how vocal fans were about it since episode 1 of the series. It finally returns in battle, but when it's used, it's reduced to a little kiai or whatever.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:57 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Kokonoe wrote: Wanted to post something but you honestly nailed what I was gonna post. This episode is really bad and feels amateurish with the fights and interaction. They really need to step their game up, I'm legit tired of all the poorly drawn punch scenes that get spammed over and over and the over usage of Scatter Shot.
I have no idea how it's blind fanboyism to want a transformation that hadn't been shown previously in the tournament to have a much more memorable first appearance, considering how much it was hyped up in the recruitment episodes. Kale got an epic transformation, despite us seeing it previously. SSJB always gets dramatic appearances, despite it being a tired transformation. And I'm sure Golden Frieza will be as over-the-top as possible. Gohan always gets the short end of the stick.

Ultimate Gohan, believe it or not, is a bigger deal than all the other transformations I mentioned, given how vocal fans were about it since episode 1 of the series. It finally returns in battle, but when it's used, it's reduced to a little kiai or whatever.
I really don't know what you mean. Ultimate Gohan has already had two big transformation sequences in 88 and 90. Your argument is based purely on fanboyism, as your inserting fan expectations of the impact of the form into the story, instead of looking at what the form actually means to the story(not really that much in comparison to the other examples you mentioned).
[spoiler]I'm sick while writing this, so I apoligise for any bad grammar.[/spoiler]

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 am

Lol Caulifla's transformations weren't dramatic at all in the tournament. they were just done well and cool. Gohan didn't need a power up to be dramatic. It's not even a transformation.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:40 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Not all transformations need to be big events, the transformation in this episode was fine. Transformations, unless they're actually game-changers like SSG or SSB, really shouldn't have that much screen time devoted to them. Here, it was simply Gohan showing he was taking the fight seriously, it didn't need to be a big moment. fadeddreams5 suggestion almost comes off blind fanboyism.

I really don't know what you mean. Ultimate Gohan has already had two big transformation sequences in 88 and 90. Your argument is based purely on fanboyism, as your inserting fan expectations of the impact of the form into the story, instead of looking at what the form actually means to the story(not really that much in comparison to the other examples you mentioned).
[spoiler]I'm sick while writing this, so I apoligise for any bad grammar.[/spoiler]
The form and character don't mean much to the story because of poor writing in general.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:34 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:

The form and character don't mean much to the story because of poor writing in general.
Okay, thats further proving my point. The form isn't that big a deal for the story since there are dozens of other characters which are way more powerful. It's not bad writing that the form isn't the most important thing ever like your making it out to be.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Let's hope this doesn't suck.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Let's hope this doesn't suck.
What? You mean you didn't watched this episode yet? lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Noah wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Let's hope this doesn't suck.
What? You mean you didn't watched this episode yet? lol
Sorry, I meant to post this on the main thread, and I was talking about this week's episode, which really did suck.
Caulifla best girl! :)