Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 pm

The way SSJ God going to SSJ Blue was animated felt rushed, I hope to see this transition better animated in another opportunity :)
Last edited by Noah on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
precita wrote:Kale knocked out that lizard guy in one punch makes no difference though, there was no way to gauge his power.
Not talking about him, I'm talking about th the fact it took SSB Kale (who's power is on a godly level) and SS2 Cauli to beat 4 of the Troopers in a beam struggle and Cocotte's powers were enough to tank the blast. Then it took Goku going SSb to be able to bumrush through Kunshi's threads.

So going by that just one of the Pride Troopers could have ended the entire Android arc on their own. Hell thats proabably just a days work for them.
I half-agree and half-disagree with you. I think Kunshi is definitely stronger than the other six, but Kahseral and his men are likely somewhere around Perfect Cell level individually (which technically makes them capable of the feats you describe), maybe slightly stronger. This arc has put a big emphasis on teamwork and coordination having massive advantages, even if it doesn't always portray that properly. Individually, the wolf trio couldn't do anything to Goku and Vegeta, but together? Well, you need a SSB Final Kamehameha to overpower that. Same thing likely applies to their "United Justice Stream." 18 also quite easily dispatched Tupper and 17 didn't seem to be having much trouble with Kahseral. I find it very hard to believe that 18 is somehow massively stronger than she was back in the Buu saga; stronger, yes, but not exponentially so.

Really though, the biggest determining factor is Caulifla. Kettle pretty much destroyed base Caulifla, so the question is how strong is base Caulifla? If she's weaker than base Goku, then everything I said likely applies. If she's supposed to be about equal to base Goku, though, then things get confusing.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

IKevinX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by IKevinX » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Daaamn. I loved this episode.
I'm one of the few who enjoyed Goku vs Hit on ep 72 and 73. Whenever there's a dialogue exchange it simply makes me happy.
Ever since 38 and 39 Hit has been one of my favorites. And SSJGod has always been aswell. Seeing it get some screentime was awesome albeit it didn't "fight" that much.

The balance inbetween fighting and explanation/gags was perfectly balanced much like episode 39 and 73.
Also found interesting the thing that Hit does before every Time-Skip because it "calls back" to the U6 Saga in the Manga where Hit can be seen twitching his hands before every Time-Skip aswell.

I was ecstatic with the fact that his 73 abilities kept on going despite being first shown in the "filler" episode. There were worries it would never appear again.

This episode also marks the first time ever since someone explicitly says faster than lightspeed though it's clear that speed has been broken a long time ago.
Playlist for my Deep Look series on DBS. Analysis Manga+Anime
Playlist for my Top 7 Best moments on DBS, per arc.

Awesome Goku Black Tribute
Goku SSJ4 vs Goku SSJ God

I don't know why Jpn loves the first Broly movies given then enormous amount of parodies, but I've come to love them aswell, hence the Paragus.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -You know who. (Not Voldemort)

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Glad to see SSG back, cool to see Universe 6 and 7 pairing up!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 pm

The lack of explanation for Goku using SSG again doesn't really bother me whatsoever. SSB is a superior form to SSG in almost every way except stamina and there haven't been any situations in which Goku needed to conserve stamina over using raw power. SSJ or SSJ2 is too weak for someone like Dyspo though, and Goku wants to conserve his stamina for the rest of the tournament, so he opts to use SSG instead. This is why he never used it after the BoG movie until now, and aside from never seeing the form again (until now) there was nothing to really suggest it was something that went away forever.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Here are the episodes I enjoyed so far:99,102 & 104,the one I despised the most are 98&100 and the rest are either average or boring,I have a feeling next week is gonna suck or is going to be boring so far 3 out of 8
Last edited by The gr on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:25 pm

I've liked virtually every ep of the tournament to some degree, although obviously some eps were a lot better than others. Least favorite is probably the Broli episode, but I like Caulifa/Kale's teamup in the ep after to make up for it.

I also don't see how the eps are boring. Each ep focuses on a different main character and a different opponent to fight, it's not like we're sitting through the same characters ep after ep.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 am

precita wrote:I've liked virtually every ep of the tournament to some degree, although obviously some eps were a lot better than others. Least favorite is probably the Broli episode, but I like Caulifa/Kale's teamup in the ep after to make up for it.

I also don't see how the eps are boring. Each ep focuses on a different main character and a different opponent to fight, it's not like we're sitting through the same characters ep after ep.
Different protagonist's or not,the fights need to be interesting, the antagonist need to be threatening & the narrative need to be consistent which I thought this episode nailed it,hit was a good protagonists, he didn't held back & he needed to use tactics to defeat an opponent like krillin & #17

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:01 am

precita wrote:I've liked virtually every ep of the tournament to some degree, although obviously some eps were a lot better than others. Least favorite is probably the Broli episode, but I like Caulifa/Kale's teamup in the ep after to make up for it.

Not finding the characters interesting, not finding the scenario's interesting, and the match ups being hit and miss help very much. I only like maybe 2 or 3 of the eight episodes as well. It's barely better than the Universe 6 Tournament for me.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Not finding the characters interesting, not finding the scenario's interesting, and the match ups being hit and miss help very much. I only like maybe 2 or 3 of the eight episodes as well. It's barely better than the Universe 6 Tournament for me.
Pretty much this,did you enjoyed this episode

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:05 am

The gr wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Pretty much this,did you enjoyed this episode
Yeah this was one of the better episodes for sure, but even then nothing about it is really all that stand out at all. This battle royale idea was a bad idea from the start honestly. Can't go on enough how the Dark Tournament was a million times better at having a larger cast, and being more interesting. The format is just incredibly hard to make work, without just feeling empty ironically.

When I look at giving an episode or arc with a high score, I think of something that would have to be so memorable it'd be remembered for years to come like with plenty of Ball/Z moments. I don't get that from anything really the series has done in general except for maybe 66 (even if I hate that one).
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:07 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Yeah this was one of the better episodes for sure, but even then nothing about it is really all that stand out at all. This battle royale idea was a bad idea from the start honestly. Can't go on enough how the Dark Tournament was a million times better at having a larger cast, and being more interesting. The format is just incredibly hard to make work, without just feeling empty ironically.
team battle are a way to go,way better than a mess with no rhyme,just for originality i prefer to have a 10v10 with two universe competing at a time

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:20 am

The gr wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
team battle are a way to go,way better than a mess with no rhyme,just for originality i prefer to have a 10v10 with two universe competing at a time
Biggest problem is I don't give a shit about most of the characters. I have no reason to care. Not to mention how a lot of them are completely interchangeable. There are stand outs in personality, very few and far between, but even then they tend to have their own things that make me stop giving a shit. I don't care about the opposition, the opposition tends to bore me to tears, therefore I don't care.

Only characters I tend to really care about are the Universe 6 & 7 ones. Everyone else is bleeeeeh! From the Pride Troopers of U11 to the Magical Girls U who gives a fuck, I don't care about any of them. At all.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 am

Asura wrote:The lack of explanation for Goku using SSG again doesn't really bother me whatsoever. SSB is a superior form to SSG in almost every way except stamina and there haven't been any situations in which Goku needed to conserve stamina over using raw power. SSJ or SSJ2 is too weak for someone like Dyspo though, and Goku wants to conserve his stamina for the rest of the tournament, so he opts to use SSG instead. This is why he never used it after the BoG movie until now, and aside from never seeing the form again (until now) there was nothing to really suggest it was something that went away forever.
I get where you're coming from, and I wish I could adopt the same mentality for enjoyment's sake, but my mind unfortunately doesn't work like that. When SSG is now back with no explanation as to when/why it's viable, it makes certain scenes in the past seem sillier to me. For example, if SSG was available as far back as the Universe 6 Tournament, shouldn't Goku have used that against Hit? Surely if Hit was powerful enough to take out SSB Vegeta, going SSG to deal with his abilities makes more sense than doing so in base form (I believe he does this in the manga). When he sparred with 17 and went SSB even though he "didn't intend to," that means he's now skipped 3 forms in that fight rather than 2, making 17's power jump possibly larger than previously thought. And if stamina is a major concern for the ToP, shouldn't SSG be considered by Goku before SSB when taking on opponents? Even if he's only turning Blue on for less than a minute, surely SSG is still a more sensible option than SSB in the long run.

Proper explanations stop thoughts like these from bouncing around my head; that's why I always prefer them over just making assumptions.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:25 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Biggest problem is I don't give a shit about most of the characters. I have no reason to care. Not to mention how a lot of them are completely interchangeable. There are stand outs in personality, very few and far between, but even then they tend to have their own things that make me stop giving a shit. I don't care about the opposition, the opposition tends to bore me to tears, therefore I don't care.

Only characters I tend to really care about are the Universe 6 & 7 ones. Everyone else is bleeeeeh! From the Pride Troopers to the Magical Girls U who gives a fuck, I don't care about any of them. At all.
They had the potential to make some character interesting sadly they got wasted,a user pointed my issues with the new character. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39657&p=1369100#p1369100 referring to Spider man speaking of which I would like to see your reply to that topic
Last edited by The gr on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 am

Noah wrote:The way SSJ God going to SSJ Blue was animated felt rushed, I hope to see this transition better animated in another opportunity :)
It would be okay if they simply don't show he's going blue in between, it would look like plain SSG fighting..
Kind of like Goku's using kaioken in short invisible bursts on namek..
Just show once what's happening with good animation and let other instances be up to the viewers imagination..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 am

The way Hit's voice actor said "Which will it be next? Use your ears and listen carefully." was so chilling. I really hope English dub Hit can pull off lines like that.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:53 am

Now there are 2 Zen-Oh's attendants as before. Where are the other 2 from the Future Zeno? Was it retconned again to them being just 2 or it's just for the Tournament?
Episode 104

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The way Hit's voice actor said "Which will it be next? Use your ears and listen carefully." was so chilling. I really hope English dub Hit can pull off lines like that.
I honestly see the dub not being able to match some of the Japanese seiyu's at all. Zamasu's, Jiren's, and Hitto's seiyu's are perfect.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 am

Jigurashi wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The way Hit's voice actor said "Which will it be next? Use your ears and listen carefully." was so chilling. I really hope English dub Hit can pull off lines like that.
I honestly see the dub not being able to match some of the Japanese seiyu's at all. Zamasu's, Jiren's, and Hitto's seiyu's are perfect.
I haven't heard Jiren enough to make a proper judgement, but Hit and Zamasu are pretty much impossible to match in the dub. Especially Zamasu.