Super Episode 105 (27 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 105 (27 August 2017)

Post by LightBing » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Great episode!

Muten Roshi was great the whole episode and it was compelling. Him being inspired by his student justifying his return was the cherry on top.

The opponents while only being tools were still useful, Ganos did a bit more service. He was a bit more fleshed out and actually felt like a character, I didn't mind the balance. They were easily better than U9 scrubs.
His experience actually had an impact and was believable.

Well written episode, like the previous one. I would love if this was the standard for Super.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 pm

MainJPW wrote: Yeah, this also means Blue has asspull-y resurrection powers now.
Piccolo did the same thing with gohan. It isn't a SSJ Blue exclusive thing. It's basically just using Ki as a defibrillator.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 pm

roshi put in work, he gets mad props and respect for that. He thinks and fights like naruto chars do, if he was in that universe he'd be the strongest by far

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm torned with this ep,I loved & I hated it[spoiler]the beginning of this ep was cool,it show other side of the ring,they are people fighting but no one can see them due of the rubble.Of course Roshi got attracted with caway,thankfully he didn't fell for that & he managed to scare her off by threatened her? & 1 thing to note they used caway ability creatively with weapons made of out of ki unlike a certain someone
    Darkori steps in & her ability is nice suck she got wasted,the mafuba eliminating someone was awesome & it finally addresses that why Roshi is chosen over trunks/goten it was handled nicely
      Now the part that made me mixed with this episodes, ganos stepping in,his transformation look lame & his fight with Roshi was uninteresting but the moment where roshi declared his limits is not passed was amazing,this is one of the best moments in the Top & I have to admit i was kinda sad to see goku & krillin when he died,I would have prefer if he get killed off just to make things sad but at least we got a nice character moment with the student & master
        For crying out loud this tournaments is ridiculously one sided,it just suck they wasted ganos,at least his ability was used well in the context of the story,this tournaments should be called u6/7/3 member of u11 are amazing & everyone is a jobber,is ridiculously one sided & it makes this arc dull.Overall an ok episode, not better than last week but it was certainly enjoyable[/spoiler]
        Last edited by The gr on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
        Mostly active on discord.

Sandubadear
        I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 pm

If Ganos gets stronger just by being transformed, he should have transformed right at the beginning of the tournament...
        "The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
        --by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
        Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Taidow

Post by Taidow » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:16 pm

I loved this episode.

The Zeno were hilarious in this episode. "A lot" "It's neat, so it's safe."
        Roshi is now the MVP of Universe 7, three in a row without any help. I like how they had Roshi do a variety of attacks and pointed out the fault of many of the competitors in U7, where they are too straightforward and fall for tricky attacks. Beerus learned to respect Master Roshi at the end and I loved that. Beerus has always said that he gives respect where respect is due and now it shows.

That scene with Goku, Krillin and Roshi was so touching. I noticed that it took Goku to use deity ki to resurrect him. I am sure there are other ways that Goku and Vegeta could use the god ki for other purposes other than fighting. Hopefully one of them learns a healing technique.
        ブラストバーン > みずしゅ りけん
        効果はバツグン

precita
        Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:19 pm

I almost feel like the reason Toei is giving Roshi so many wins is because he should be the weakest character in the entire tournament, and it justifies him being there.

GreatSaiyaJeff
        Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Wow this episode was easily one of my favorites. Master Roshi not only took out three fighters but it was a real touching moment with him reflecting on his students. Such a wonderful episode and I really liked how Goku and Roshi walking towards the fighting was also touching.
        "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

MainJPW
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Zagacious wrote: Well he was shown healing by giving energy in regular SSJ before, but i think that was mostly in movies. It's probably just using a tiny bit of energy to defibrillate his heart so it's not too unexplained. I would have a problem with it if they used it on a stronger character like Vegeta and he was immediately back to full health without draining Goku in some way though.
        Good point.
        Boo Machine wrote: Piccolo did the same thing with Gohan. It isn't a SSJ Blue exclusive thing. It's basically just using Ki as a defibrillator.
        The way Goku was pumping ki into Roshi earlier was the same as Piccolo, but when the yellow ki turned blue, engulfed the screen in a giant blue flash of light followed by Roshi waking up just looked different:

It really seemed like he was raising the dead.

MajinMan
        Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Man, they did Roshi right with this episode. Him being one of my top 3 favorite characters made this a really enjoyable episode for me. I loved how wise and observant Roshi was. The final kamehameha scene was probably one of the best moments in the tournament so far.

One thing I didn't really like at all was Ganos. His transformation looked ugly (rip off of Rawk Hawk from Paper Mario TTYD, if you know who that is you'll agree), he constantly screamed, and had no special powers. It seemed like he would be a ninja type fighter from what we've seen of him, but he turned into a damn bird that shoots electricity.
        Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

DainIronfoot
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:37 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Wow this episode was easily one of my favorites. Master Roshi not only took out three fighters but it was a real touching moment with him reflecting on his students. Such a wonderful episode and I really liked how Goku and Roshi walking towards the fighting was also touching.

As well as his students really showing to the others how much they care about him. Even Kuririn was like to Beerus "It's not old man...It's MUTEN ROSHI SAMA!". Loved it.

nato25
        Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 pm

I was meh on this episode but well done Super with great writing you got me to care.

When goku was messing around with the goo guy i was like come on man turn blue and help roshi!!! And he did it too!!

The tributes to roshis past were great but he also made some great new strides in character development himself. Refusing to be called old and saying ill set my own limits.

It was awesome he knew his place as well. He knows his not the strongest or fastest but pinpointed fighters he knew he could take down.

And the mafuba worked on its intended target !!! Is that a first outside of the original time Mutaito used it?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 pm

MainJPW wrote: The way Goku was pumping ki into Roshi earlier was the same as Piccolo, but when the yellow ki turned blue, engulfed the screen in a giant blue flash of light followed by Roshi waking up just looked different:

It really seemed like he was raising the dead.
        True it did visually look a bit different. But it's still basically what piccolo did, the difference being that Goku is using his God Ki instead of regular Ki. It could be him reviving the dead I suppose, but until it says otherwise I feel like it's just more likely he was just using his God Ki as opposed to his Regular ki to do the deed. (Which probably helps a lot)
        Last edited by Boo Machine on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Chuquita
        Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:41 pm

Good ending. The bit with Gokû and Krillin worried Roshi'd died was well done.

The rest of the episode was ok, better written Roshi than that prep ep one.
        My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
        ---
        フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Wow, Adult Goku fucking cried, that alone made this episode for me.

JazzMazz
        I Live Here
        Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm actually slightly mixed on this episode.

While I really enjoyed Roshi doing stuff, I felt that some of the pacing and scripting could have been better at points.

I enjoyed Roshi examining the battle-field, it fit in really well with what he was trying to do by eliminating enemies that could become troublesome for them later on.

His fight with Caway, wasn't that good and I very much preferred his battle with Darkori was interesting, if cut a little short.

Roshi's battle with Ganoss was mixed for me,I liked the basic idea of Roshi out-predicting Ganoss, it shows how Roshi may be able to hold his own with powerfull but less experienced warriors, but I didn't enjoy how easily he was winning at the beginning and how he won could have been better explained.

The student speech was a little weird, but it was a solid character moments by having Roshi reflect upon how his former students have taught him about his own limits and reflecting on his resolve.

Really liked Goku showing emotion, it's something he hardly ever does, so seeing him emotional was unexpected.

From a visual stand-point, I would say it was probably the weakest in the tournament, though I wouldn't say it was out-right incorrigible.

Overall, a decent episode with some pacing issues and a weaker fight in the second half. Though I still think last episode was better, I'll say this was the second or third best episode in the tournament, a solid 3.1/5 for ratings sakes.

Whatever
        Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Noah wrote:
        JazzMazz wrote: - Ganoss really wasn't Goku's equal even in base(he fought the guy for all of 10 seconds). It was confirmed even by Roshi that Ganoss was stronger and faster.
        - Roshi used hypnosis on Goku during the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai. Goku recovers when Bulma says something about it being lunch time or something like that.
        - And kept growing as the time passed and yet Roshi managed to beat him, I guess his gowth is not that big so as his transformation.

- Thanks for clearing up! :thumbup:
        Whatever wrote:Also i am pretty sure Yamcha could not pull something like what Roshi did,both fighting and character wise.
        Just a reminder: edit my post if you're going only to answer a few sentences.

- I disagree about Yamcha, he's not a bad fighter. He surprised everyone in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai with his Sokidan and was really close to defeat Kami.
        He suprised Kami but he still was not even close to defeat him.He is better than the normal humans but Tien/Krilli/Roshi are better fighters than him.
        You said that Yamcha deserved a place in the team over Roshi,correct?

Do you think he could pull a win against even the talisman user,much less Ganos?
        Roshi did something in this episode that Yamcha could not even dream of doing.
        In this episode Roshi showed exactly why he deserved to be in the team over Yamcha.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 am

A surprisingly good episode, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Still, I'm really disliking the fact that U7 members keep handling one universe at a time. C'mon, throw some other universes in there, make it feel like a battle royale. But seriously, I legitimately think Roshi had two different writers this episode, because first he starts throwing more fucking rape jokes out, and then at the end he becomes the Roshi we all knew and love from the original Dragon Ball.

I really thought Roshi was dead there for a second. Goku hugging him and almost crying was really touching, he really does look up to Roshi like a father. I absolutely loved how Beerus was really proud of Master Roshi. Oh, and where the hell has this soundtrack been? Why didn't we hear it sooner?

My only complaints with the episode were the really weird ass rape vibes and even a rape joke in the first fight, that was just terrible. Also, the fact that Goku was struggling to get out of that guy's hold when he could have gone SSB at any time and saved Roshi. Like come on, at least show him struggling in SSB against the guy so it could be believeable.

NEP looks like a cool concept. Tien, Goku, and Vegeta seem like an odd team-up.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:11 am

MainJPW wrote:
        Hakaishin Liquir wrote:Roshi getting revived at the end kind of ruined the scene tbh. It would have been much more emotional if he stayed dead.
        Yeah, this also means Blue has asspull-y resurrection powers now.
        No it doesn't. It's the same way Piccolo was trying to revive Goku after Hit killed him. The blue light at the end I think was just to signify a "one last chance" sort of deal where he's putting everything into it out of desperation.
        Last edited by Asura on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

precita
        Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:13 am

Whatever wrote: Do you think he could pull a win against even the talisman user,much less Ganos?
        Roshi did something in this episode that Yamcha could not even dream of doing.
        In this episode Roshi showed exactly why he deserved to be in the team over Yamcha.
        But how do you know that? Before Roshi came back in Super nobody believed he would ever fight again given he did nothing for the entire span of DBZ. So by that logic you can't count any character out at being a fighter again because prior to 2015 if anyone said Roshi would be a main fighter in Dragonball again people would have laughed.