Super Episode 105 (27 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Potanical Pardon
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super Episode 105 (27 August 2017)

Post by Potanical Pardon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:40 am

I haven't seen Goku give a shit about someone like that since he was a kid.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:40 am

The_Destroyer wrote:
And a regular melee is not interesting? Almost every attack that everyone uses is just some ki blast. Would it no be interesting to someone use a melee based move for one?
Yeah true he predicted his movements but he still won due to power. Being able to dodge someone's attacks requires you to be faster than them, therfore they are more powerful. Like FoolsGill said, Yamcha is supposed to be stronger than Roshi, therefore he would overpower the likes of Caway and Ganos. The fact is majority of this tournament is fodder and Yamcha could beat most of these opponents.
The problem is not that he has a regular melee,the problem is that Yamcha's moveset does not have utility,the Kienzan is not just a regular kii blast for example,its niche is that is like a blade in the form of a kii blast.
Also that depens,if the move does not do anything new then i don't see the point,it would look cool if anything.
Not always,base Goku did the same against the Hit who defeated ssjb Vegeta,Hit also did the same thing against Dyspo.

According to the latest events,Yamcha does not seem to be stronger than Roshi,also Roshi did not overpower Ganos(he said it himself that Ganos was stronger and faster)if anything he outdamaged him,the reason he even managed to do that was he predicted his movements in the first place.
FoolsGil wrote: Yes, it is groovy. You hater. But since you asked, Yamcha could just overpower them. Yamcha surpassed Master Roshi in Strength and Speed a long time ago, and that was before he trained with King Kai, something that Master Roshi hasn't done.

How's that for ya?
Yamcha could overpower someone who is stronger than him?Yamcha could overpower someone that has him pinned in one place unable to move?
Also Roshi has surpassed Yamcha now,i guess you are still stuck in the past.
I don't even hate Yamcha but for some reason (propably blind favoritism) you are ignoring what is shown.
Yamcha is a nice guy but that Roshi now is stronger and a better fighter than him is a fact.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 am

I'm so happy that Maji=Kayo wasn't defeated here. He seems strong (not SSB levels) and I want to see more of him in the U3 centered episode! :mrgreen:

YajirobiTheGreat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YajirobiTheGreat » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 am

Vegeta-Sama wrote: Thank you Toriyama giving Roshi a lot of great moments in his probaly final showing as a fighter in the series
Let's not say scary things like this.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 am

Potanical Pardon wrote:I haven't seen Goku give a shit about someone like that since he was a kid.
Yeah, Super is pretty awful at giving Goku character development or sometimes even with writing him in character, but this is finally some legitimate development. I always really wondered how Goku felt about Master Roshi, if he just viewed him as a friend and master or as more like a father, and I was happy to see it confirmed in this episode it's more like the latter which is especially telling given Goku doesn't really even show that kind of emotion towards his actual family.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:51 am

The_Destroyer wrote:
Zagacious wrote:
FoolsGil wrote: Yes, it is groovy. You hater. But since you asked, Yamcha could just overpower them. Yamcha surpassed Master Roshi in Strength and Speed a long time ago, and that was before he trained with King Kai, something that Master Roshi hasn't done.
As much as I appreciate the effort they put into giving Roshi an awesome performance, it's true it probably should have ended with the fight with Ganos. Someone else a little more powerful should have had to intervene like Piccolo or Tien. Roshi is an awesome character, but to say the strongest member of U4 is eliminated by a human (an epic level human, of course) is kind of surprising considering how relatively weak Humans have shown to be. While Nink wasn't very impressive, he was able to get Goku base form in body lock very briefly. I mean I guess it's possible that Universe 4 is generally on the same level or weaker than the original Saiyans were.

Even though I think Roshi has more strategic skill than Yamcha, I do believe Yamcha would have enough raw power to do more than Roshi would. Yamcha might struggle with opponents like Dercori, so it's not a mistake to choose Roshi over Yamcha when you already have many fighters with god level of power, but in raw power Yamcha would definitely outmatch him. Yamcha surpassed Roshi in Dragon Ball, fought Saibamen, and trained with King Kai. I believe he also trained in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber but unsure. That's enough to put Yamcha significant level above Roshi.
He never trained in the time chamber.
I swear I saw him leaving it once, maybe during a filler not during Cell, anyway I'll take your word for it. Even without that though that's enough to put Yamcha and Tien way above Roshi in power. Again, I'm not saying including Roshi was a mistake given the number of other fighters with god level power we have, but if you put Roshi against Yamcha, Yamcha would probably win just by outpowering him. I would say the same about Tien, although I believe Tien is a few levels above Yamcha, but not overpoweringly so.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:52 am

This episode just felt like such a waste.

Both Decori and Caway abilities were awesome, and seeing them get eliminated after displaying such abilities was horrible to watch. I always wanted a character to use ki to fight with ki weapons, so Caway was great. Decori whole fighting style was unique and should have been saved for later use in the tournament like they did with Caulifla/Kale and Brianne/Su Rose. Not U7 weakest member eliminating one with a gag (Caway) or an arguably illegal elimination (Decori). Nice to see Roshi hopefully last stand/battle, but he along with some other U7 members need to go soon. also I liked Ganos, so sad to see him go so soon.

These multple abilties being shown in the tournament should not just disappear, most of the main cast as far as techniques and abilities go have pretty generic and boring ki blast attacks. Hopefully they incorporate some of these skills into their fighting styles, or potentially future gen characters like Marron, Pan, Uub, and others Incorporate these techniques in their fighting styles, instead of ending with these characters.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:53 am

This episode was pretty good.
-Beerus was cute cheering for kame sennin. I liked everything he was involved in this episode: fighting with Quitela, cheering and finally asking Krillin about Kame Sennin's name. :D :D :D
- I actually was expecting another weird episode involving Kame Sennin but, even though we did get a little of it, it wasn't much compared to the rest of the episode that was so good imo.
- so much Dragon Ball memories in this episode :D
- Though I think Kame Sennin should have stayed dead. That would have left a greater impact. Still the scene with Goku trying to revive him and then hugging him after he revived was cute.

Next episode: what happened to the art!? It was so good up until now :shock:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:54 am

Whatever wrote: Yamcha could overpower someone who is stronger than him?Yamcha could overpower someone that has him pinned in one place unable to move?
I don't even hate Yamcha but for some reason (propably blind favoritism) you are ignoring what is shown.
Yamcha is a nice guy but that Roshi now is stronger and a better fighter than him is a fact.
You have no evidence that Master Roshi has surpassed Yamcha. You don't even know how strong the one guy stronger than Master Roshi was. And as for the person who pinned Yamcha, who's to say he would have caught Yamcha who's of course faster than Master Roshi? Yes if you throw power out of the equation, yes, Roshi is the better fighter. I'd even say due to Goku constantly letting down his guard, he's an even better fighter than Goku. But Power is in the equation, and any gains Roshi made in training while everyone was fighting in DBZ won't equate to him being a better fighter than Yamcha, even in Super.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 am

FoolsGil wrote:
Whatever wrote: Yamcha could overpower someone who is stronger than him?Yamcha could overpower someone that has him pinned in one place unable to move?
You have no evidence that Master Roshi has surpassed Yamcha. You don't even know how strong the one guy stronger than Master Roshi was. And as for the person who pinned Yamcha, who's to say he would have caught Yamcha who's of course faster than Master Roshi? Yes if you throw power out of the equation, yes, Roshi is the better fighter. I'd even say due to Goku constantly letting down his guard, he's an even better fighter than Goku. But Power is in the equation, and any gains Roshi made in training while everyone was fighting in DBZ won't equate to him being a better fighter than Yamcha, even in Super.
I'd say it's rather obvious Roshi is stronger than Yamcha since it's been implied Roshi has been secretly training for a long time and it's implied he's on the same level as base Goku. Meanwhile, Yamcha has been a gag character that has done nothing except be the strongest at baseball.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:58 am

I dont know why, but i burst in laughs when Roshi jumped for those titties and he screamed that robots name, even the robot was confused.

I have a weak point for Roshi, he and granda Gohan were my favourite characters in DB. I am curious to know what was Beerus up to for asking about him (his name), when Goku pushed that last-resort blue recovery stuff, it seemed like it caught Beerus attention.

It's learning and analysing until the big guns show out.

Where is Toppo and the YMCA troopers, on that bar again?
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 am

Asura wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
I'd say it's rather obvious Roshi is stronger than Yamcha since it's been implied Roshi has been secretly training for a long time and it's implied he's on the same level as base Goku. Meanwhile, Yamcha has been a gag character that has done nothing except be the strongest at baseball.
Base Goku LOL, gave me a good laugh there. I'd love to see where you think they implied this, episode and minute? Roshi has been a gag character for about as long as Yamcha has, the entirety of Z, except he was also doing lots of training and fighting in Z, Roshi was a gag character even in Super up until the ToP.
Last edited by Zagacious on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:03 am

Whatever wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
And a regular melee is not interesting? Almost every attack that everyone uses is just some ki blast. Would it no be interesting to someone use a melee based move for one?
Yeah true he predicted his movements but he still won due to power. Being able to dodge someone's attacks requires you to be faster than them, therfore they are more powerful. Like FoolsGill said, Yamcha is supposed to be stronger than Roshi, therefore he would overpower the likes of Caway and Ganos. The fact is majority of this tournament is fodder and Yamcha could beat most of these opponents.
The problem is not that he has a regular melee,the problem is that Yamcha's moveset does not have utility,the Kienzan is not just a regular kii blast for example,its niche is that is like a blade in the form of a kii blast.
Also that depens,if the move does not do anything new then i don't see the point,it would look cool if anything.
Not always,base Goku did the same against the Hit who defeated ssjb Vegeta,Hit also did the same thing against Dyspo.

According to the latest events,Yamcha does not seem to be stronger than Roshi,also Roshi did not overpower Ganos(he said it himself that Ganos was stronger and faster)if anything he outdamaged him,the reason he even managed to do that was he predicted his movements in the first place.

How's that for ya?
Yamcha could overpower someone who is stronger than him?Yamcha could overpower someone that has him pinned in one place unable to move?
The Wolf Fang Fist exists to look cool. If it was upgraded to allow Yamcha to hurt people stronger than him it would be useful,no? Plus an upgraded Sokidan would also be useful to take out multiple opponents.
It hasn't been stated that Roshi surpassed Yamcha and if he did fight in ToP he could have gotten an asspull power up too.
Roshi did clearly overpower Ganos with his kamehameha.
While it's true Base Goku did scratch Hit(who was caught by surprise), if all you need is to predict someone's movements, then Goku wouldnt have needed to transform to beat Hit. Roshi was able to clown Ganos in his base state, indicating he has enough power and speed to damage Ganos. Even though Ganos may have been stronger, Roshi still got up from his punches. Assuming Yamcha is still stronger, he could overpower him too.

I don't think you're hater, but I do feel as though you are downplaying Him. I can agree Roshi is a better strategist, but I disagree that Yamcha couldn't have managed himself here, especially considering how incompetent the majority of fighters are in ToP.
Asura wrote: I'd say it's rather obvious Roshi is stronger than Yamcha since it's been implied Roshi has been secretly training for a long time and it's implied he's on the same level as base Goku. Meanwhile, Yamcha has been a gag character that has done nothing except be the strongest at baseball.
Fighting Base Goku doesn't mean you're equal to him. You see how badly Goku sandbags. Do you think Krillin is SSB tier since he had a beam struggle with SSB Goku?

And Gag characters are SSB Tier according to Vegeta :P

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:07 am

Yamcha would have jumped off the stage if exposed to those illusions. Roshi is rocking this tournament - strongest kamehameha one of the best moments so far.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 am

Asura wrote:I'd say it's rather obvious Roshi is stronger than Yamcha since it's been implied Roshi has been secretly training for a long time and it's implied he's on the same level as base Goku. Meanwhile, Yamcha has been a gag character that has done nothing except be the strongest at baseball.
I don't think he's quite that strong as Goku easily dispatches Roshi without transforming, but Goku was impressed with how powerful Roshi had become and even Tien wasn't too surprised that Roshi was able to get the better of him in their brief clash. It's been pretty clear since Resurrection F that Roshi has been buffed significantly. The others considered him valuable to bring along but not Yamcha and Chiaotzu.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 am

This was easily one of my favorite episodes of Super. I love Master Roshi, he was such a bad*** throughout, he took out three fighters, and it tug at your heartstrings toward the end. My only complaint was they allowed him to use the jar for the Mafuba. Should've just aimed it out of the ring but oh well. I loved it!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:15 am

Asura wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Yes, he was secretly training. But at best he's somewhere between Nappa and Saiyan Saga Vegeta, and even if he's stronger there's no way in hell he can give Namek Era Freeza a run for his money because that's what you're implying with your "he's on the same level as base Goku" comment.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:30 am

Awesome episode. Roshi delivered.

But one question.I do not get the Magetta scenes.

First he attacked Roshi and left on 1 second and later we have seen him reacting again

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:35 am

Kishido wrote:Awesome episode. Roshi delivered.

But one question.I do not get the Magetta scenes.

First he attacked Roshi and left on 1 second and later we have seen him reacting again
The first one Roshi walked by him so Magetta took a swing. The second one was a gag. Magetta was reacting to the sound Roshi was making.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:36 am

This was an awesome episode, and the Tournament of Power (while still having all the faults I said in the past) is beginning to give me episodes that give me feels.

Roshi was awesome and the best way for Toei to tell us 'Power levels are bullshit' ... something which I'm all for. He gave us funny moments, serious moments and tear-jerky moments. It was good to actually show him work in a different way than the others. His weakness to act became his power to observe. He studied and marked his enemies and chose them wisely.

The end was the highlight. I LOVED the fact that the writers didn't make Roshi go 'fuck-all' to Krillin and only mention Goku in his farewell speech. Both students love him equally and both consider him one of the most important turning points in their career. And he returns the favor. He loves them both. He's like a father to them and it showed on this ep. Every member of the cast acted brilliantly. Krillin wanting to rush to his master's aid with tears in his eyes (and the Elder Kai protecting him), Goku saying 'fuck you, my master's in trouble' to Slimer then doing anything he can to bring him back, and holy shit - Beerus actually WANTING to remember his name. Best credentials Roshi could ever hope for. I really love how this tournament is making Beerus think higher of his team - he may be Chaotic Neutral impersonated, but he knows his stuff.

Next, we may finally see Tien actually do something ... c'mon, Triclops - it's time to justify your inclusion in FighterZ.

Also, can't wait for a Frieza-centered episode.