Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Post by Basako » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 am

DainIronfoot wrote: That really doesn't count as a save. Gohan and Piccolo were hiding yes but they weren't sent out like 18 was about to be, Caulifla, Dyspo...etc. Those were actual saves. We can give credit to Tien for joining in the fight and begin his assault on the real sniper, but I only view a save as one like i mentioned. Otherwise, lots of others would be considered to have all these "saves" too just by joining in the fight, which is undermining an actual save itself.
Yes it does, it counts as two.

If you want to be so rigid, Krilin made one solo and two assists, Roshi eliminated the birdman and 18 Sosha. And Roshi may had trapped The Preecho, but the one taking him out was Tenshinhan, so that's an assit for Roshi and one more for Ten. Or maybe Roshi didn't eliminate Caway, she left by herself. And so on.
Heno heno kappa!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:57 am

First off, I'd like to say that the people who think this is a bad looking episode, obviously didn't watch last weeks episode, which was infinitely worse looking. This episode, though nothing particularly standout, looked completely serviceable and I would definitely rank it higher than #97 and #105 from a visual stand point.

Now onto the episode itself.

This episode was more middle of the road than anything. Content wise, I really enjoyed it, the scenario was very interesting and I liked how it relied a great deal on team tactics over brute force.

However, I felt like the episode was let down with it's direction and pacing. The first half did do a decent job of establishing the snipers as a threat and I think it was a very solid half episode. However, the second is where everything felt cobbled together. While I definitely enjoyed how they approached the situation and I didn't even mind the more questionable script decision(Goku and Vegeta throwing literal mountains), I felt that the direction is generally what made the events in the second half fail to have any impact.

Overall it was an okay episode with really solid content and a well executed first half, but a really dull and mostly uninspired second.
2.25/5

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:05 am

Basako wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote: That really doesn't count as a save. Gohan and Piccolo were hiding yes but they weren't sent out like 18 was about to be, Caulifla, Dyspo...etc. Those were actual saves. We can give credit to Tien for joining in the fight and begin his assault on the real sniper, but I only view a save as one like i mentioned. Otherwise, lots of others would be considered to have all these "saves" too just by joining in the fight, which is undermining an actual save itself.
Yes it does, it counts as two.

If you want to be so rigid, Krilin made one solo and two assists, Roshi eliminated the birdman and 18 Sosha. And Roshi may had trapped The Preecho, but the one taking him out was Tenshinhan, so that's an assit for Roshi and one more for Ten. Or maybe Roshi didn't eliminate Caway, she left by herself. And so on.

Sorry mate, but your view of it is simply different and we'd being going back in forth to no avail. Also, like i said, you can't really count it as an official save unless the person was about to clearly be ringed out. That to me is a save, as i mentioned the examples of 18, Caulifla, and Dyspo. For me personally, I only view a true save as literally stopping someone from being ringed out in that moment. Would you give Tien a point for saving Dr. Rhota as well? He was there watching Rhota KO'd on the ground and then proceeded to go find the sniper (even though it was evident the snipers were just there to knock the fighters unconscious). Going by your thoughts though, that would be a save right? I simply don't view it as such (unless someone came to toss Rhota out the ring and Tien stopped it).

Roshi via Preecho - Tien came in to knock out the paralyzed foe. That's not an assist for Roshi. I count it as more of a Duo KO since it was a combined action of our 2 fighters (Roshi and Tien) that caused the elimination. Same with Shousa. It wasn't really just a "18 elimination". It was a duo KO because it was a combined effort from her and Kuririn that did the trick. That's really the best way to look at it for those two in particular. Oh and it was due to the actions of Roshi that Caway was eliminated, so that's still a point for Roshi. It's cause and effect. Think back to Guru and Freeza in a way.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:17 am

DainIronfoot wrote: Sorry mate, but your view of it is simply different and we'd being going back in forth to no avail. Also, like i said, you can't really count it as an official save unless the person was about to clearly be ringed out. That to me is a save, as i mentioned the examples of 18, Caulifla, and Dyspo.

Roshi via Preecho - Tien came in to knock out the paralyzed foe. That's not an assist for Roshi. I count it as more of a Duo KO since it was a combined action of our 2 fighters (Roshi and Tien) that caused the elimination. Same with Shousa. It wasn't really just a "18 elimination". It was a duo KO because it was a combined effort from her and Kuririn that did the trick. That's really the best way to look at it for those two in particular. Oh and it was due to the actions of Roshi that Caway was eliminated, so that's still a point for Roshi. It's cause and effect. Think back to Guru and Freeza in a way.
Vegeta and Goku ringing out the Danger trio is a duo, or Kale and Caulifla with the Pride Troopers. Look, I'm not going to be rigid here, I think Roshi and Ten took The Preecho together, but the one taking the guy out was Ten, not Roshi. Just think about sports, soccer, basketball and many other, there is no doubt about what's an assistance or what's a goal.

What I mean, as you said, there are different ways of seeing the same thing. Saying this doesn't count as two saves for Tenshinhan, I deffinitely see it different from you. He literally saved them, with the assist of Goku and Vegeta, because it was teamwork, but Tenshinhan made the hard part.
Heno heno kappa!

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:19 am

Really good episode overall, above expectations based on the preview. The action was tense and kept one immersed with anticipation.

Other points:

Goku's and Vegeta's elimination was ultimately smart but funny at the same time.
Tien had a great sendoff, but like Kuririn's, felt a bit premature at the end.
Even if Piccolo did not get an elimination, his contribution felt significant today; suppose Gohan goes all the way, we may well count Piccolo's efforts as a "save".

Next episode preview looks very promising, supposedly, this is it for Roshi.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:19 am

I found the clones thing forced for one particular: we saw three clones being shot, and the one who is supposed to be the real Tien surviving and approaching the sniper, but the writers could have let the true Tien on the ring and the clones take care of the sniper, or let one of the clones on the ring to keep fighting, does them disappear after a certain time?

And I'm starting to find all those Piccolo saves pleasing like a punch in the nuts, stop them once for all dammit, give Greenie a badass role or let him fuck off with Krillin and Tien right now

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:22 am

This episode just cements how smart Piccolo is. Was hoping these snipers were gonna be the bugs, oh well. Next week looks so interesting, shame we gotta wait 2 weeks. :(

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:23 am

MrBlackFox wrote:I found the clones thing forced for one particular: we saw three clones being shot, and the one who is supposed to be the real Tien surviving and approaching the sniper, but the writers could have let the true Tien on the ring and the clones take care of the sniper, or let one of the clones on the ring to keep fighting, does them disappear after a certain time?

And I'm starting to find all those Piccolo saves pleasing like a punch in the nuts, stop them once for all dammit, give Greenie a badass role or let him fuck off with Krillin and Tien right now
I'm hopeful Piccolo will come into more play later on with the U6 Nameks. However, due to Tien going out before coming into interactions with the hidden U4 which he himself was the only one who detected them, I'm going to be cautious in regards to our Namek. He better not have lost too much stamina having to regain 3 arms :[. Poor Piccolo...

As for MrBlackFox, I too would of loved if that was the case. It would of been cool if while the clones were running it shows them fly off on their own or something and cuts off. Then we see a clone cornering Harmira and the same events happen, only to reveal that clone disappearing and Tien remaining on stage. That would of made me go "Got em!".
Last edited by DainIronfoot on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:25 am

Well....I guess Tien got a bit of spotlight?

Would have been nice to see a few more techniques from him first since Tenshinhan's greatest asset as a character is he's got an insane amount of abilities. Roshi got to show more of his moveset and that's rather disappointing for Ten-literally a bag of tricks-shinhan.

I thought my expectations were low for him coming into the tournament, but I was expecting him to eliminate both these guys at least. Instead Vegeta gets to KO two opponents and Tien gets one kamikaze take down. At least the clones grabbing the sniper was pretty fun even if I cannot work out how the strength of that sniper works. Rips Piccolo's arms off, doesn't even wind a 1/4 power Tenshinhan clone enough to avoid them ganging up on him.

Sidenote did Tien not watch Krillin save 18? He could have propelled himself upwards with a ki blast whilst the clones took the guy down since he had time to engage in conversation...
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

SuperHumanGod

Post by SuperHumanGod » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:30 am

Bitterly disappointed with how easily tien went out. He could jumped back up off the rocks, then used ki blasts for a final push. He barely did anything. Maybe I got my hopes up after the epic roshi episode. Well the humans are out and that sucks. Piccolo, 17/18 and frieza better not let me down.
I hope vegeta gets knocked out next, it'll be hilarious and horrific at the same time.
Jiren best new DBS character. Its done.
Fuck those awful U6 saiyans and their tingles too.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:32 am

A pretty neat episode, much more heavily focused on tactical standoffs, especially near the beginning.

The humour was appreciated at the end, too.

Don't worry, Dr. Rota, you'll get your chance to tell us what your ability is and why it makes you a doctor! Eventually! Maybe........

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:36 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Don't worry, Dr. Rota, you'll get your chance to tell us what your ability is and why it makes you a doctor! Eventually! Maybe........
I want to know...
Why do they do this.. dammit..
I think this question was raised by one of the guys at Toie on what makes him a doctor, and they decided to use this inside joke in the show itself..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:37 am

Quite an eventful episode. I expect Dr. Rota to become a running gag in the future, when we get an arc in U6 :D

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:39 am

DainIronfoot wrote:
MrBlackFox wrote:I found the clones thing forced for one particular: we saw three clones being shot, and the one who is supposed to be the real Tien surviving and approaching the sniper, but the writers could have let the true Tien on the ring and the clones take care of the sniper, or let one of the clones on the ring to keep fighting, does them disappear after a certain time?

I'm hopeful Piccolo will come into more play later on with the U6 Nameks. However, due to Tien going out before coming into interactions with the hidden U4 which he himself was the only one who detected them, I'm going to be cautious in regards to our Namek. He better not have lost too much stamina having to regain 3 arms :[. Poor Piccolo...

As for MrBlackFox, I too would of loved if that was the case. It would of been cool if while the clones were running it shows them fly off on their own or something and cuts off. Then we see a clone cornering Harmira and the same events happen, only to reveal that clone disappearing and Tien remaining on stage. That would of made me go "Got em!".

Imo the writers were in an unuseful rush to get rid of him, and this is a waste, cause he could have some other awesome fight, the start of his moment was great but too short to be memorable, I expected to have another episode or two at least to make him shine after a so long and painful wait, do you agree? :( They blueballed us badly, and I hope they'll not do the same with Piccolo, enter the namekians and BAM! After a revelation or two they get rid of him
He's too good at strategic fighter to not have a moment to be reminded in the years, prolly the most brilliant followed by Gohan ( think at him blind vs Lavenda)

But hey, we still have more Tien today than in the Cell and Buu sagas together, honestly I don't remember a so long Tien centered moment since the DB tenkaichi says, who also was the first Tien fight in the series

I say thanks Toei but...

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:42 am

Tien had no reason to sacrifice every single clone. Also, he didn't even do anything special, and Gohan could've taken out the shooter himself at that point. Someone on the writing team really doesn't like Tenny boy

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 am

This episode was weird.

Like, the episode incorporated a good amount of strategy and it paid off in the end with Tien using his multi-form technique to find the sniper and then taking him out with him. But I feel as though they dropped the ball with ball with Tien. Granted they did a horrible job with building up Tien to this tournament, but you'd think he'd contribute a bit more than he already has given the setting of the tournament. But... nope. Eliminates just one person, barely fights after that and then takes another character out of bounds while getting eliminated himself as well. Oh, man. Toriyama had nothing special planned for that guy.

And I'm staring to think that Toei are getting wise to how much fans complain about characters in the tournament are not getting a chance to properly show their abilities because Dr Rota felt like such a meta joke in that regard with how he was taken out before he could announce what his ability was and could actually do anything.

And other users have mentioned, the direction of the episode was so just so... off. Like nothing naturally flowed from one to another.

This episode was just... I don't know how to describe it. I mean, coming off of the high of last weeks episode, this is was a very disappointing entry into the Tournament Of Power. But it still manages to have some redeeming qualities to save it from being a bad episode outright. I guess this episode was fine, but... eh. Next!

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:50 am

MrBlackFox wrote: Imo the writers were in an unuseful rush to get rid of him, and this is a waste, cause he could have some other awesome fight, the start of his moment was great but too short to be memorable, I expected to have another episode or two at least to make him shine after a so long and painful wait, do you agree? :( They blueballed us badly, and I hope they'll not do the same with Piccolo, enter the namekians and BAM! After a revelation or two they get rid of him
He's too good at strategic fighter to not have a moment to be reminded in the years, prolly the most brilliant followed by Gohan ( think at him blind vs Lavenda)

But hey, we still have more Tien today than in the Cell and Buu sagas together, honestly I don't remember a so long Tien centered moment since the DB tenkaichi says, who also was the first Tien fight in the series

I say thanks Toei but...
True, I would feel different if he had made a neat win against Hermila, not sacrificing himself. Stop the clone technique then. So they would let him go all in against someone stronger like Frost next chapter, even losing then and whatever happens with Roshi and the Mafuba again. A waste.
Heno heno kappa!

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:51 am

We also didn't have the chance to see Tien engaged in an hand to hand combat, neither today of (iirc) in the Roshi episode at his school

Dafuq, the guy is a martial arts master, why?

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:58 am

Basako wrote:
MrBlackFox wrote: Imo the writers were in an unuseful rush to get rid of him, and this is a waste, cause he could have some other awesome fight, the start of his moment was great but too short to be memorable, I expected to have another episode or two at least to make him shine after a so long and painful wait, do you agree? :( They blueballed us badly, and I hope they'll not do the same with Piccolo, enter the namekians and BAM! After a revelation or two they get rid of him

I say thanks Toei but...
True, I would feel different if he had made a neat win against Hermila, not sacrificing himself. Stop the clone technique then. So they would let him go all in against someone stronger like Frost next chapter, even losing then and whatever happens with Roshi and the Mafuba again. A waste.

I hoped til the last second to see another secret clone being on the ring, giving him an awesome strategic victory, but once I saw him near Krillin and the others...damn

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:01 am

I was hoping for Tenshinhan to be clever and not fall next to the sniper but use the sniper's body while falling as "ground" to jump back into the arena. But no. He fell down next to him, talking.

I see no reason for Tenshinhan to have been included and Yamcha not. Now that makes it even more obvious.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"