Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spider-Man
Regular

Re: Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:56 am

A good episode
    The Good
      -Maji kayo is pretty cool and I like how jiren one shot him like a boss Also his joke was hilarious.
        -Frost is intimidating as a character.
          -The fight of Vegeta vs Frost and Magetta was awesome I love it.
            -The Elimination of Roshi was really sad he did a good of Saving Vegeta and he fought well in this tournament also poor Magetta.
              The bad
                -Do we really need a recap of the remaining fighter it felt like Padding.
                  -Ribrianne appear out of nowhere felt forced.
                    -Magetta is wasted through his battle with Vegeta was good.
                      Final Verdict
                        Overall this was a good episode Also I'm glad Vegeta did not got eliminated early and I'm excited for the NEP.

Lord Beerus
                        Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:51 am

Holy shit. Where the hell did this episode some from? This was sensational is every aspect. I didn't think the Episode 105 could be topped, but it just has been.

Frost really did steal the show and I so wasn't expecting that to be the case. His mannerisms, interactions with the cast and development with the battles progressions was wonderful. It made me see so much of Freeza in Frost, which was I'm sure the intention, but his character acting was also unique and dynamic enough to distinguish him enough from Freeza and be his own villain. He acted like this wonderful blend of card carrying villainy (King Piccolo), sadistic, vindicate spitefulness (Freeza) and a general demeanour of brutish thug (Super Boo).

Super has actually be really consistent with emphasising how much Frost has fallen. We see tidbits of the fallout of Frost's true colours being exposed in Episode 71 and Episode 91 and I'm really happy with how much the episode continued to build on that with Frost bargaining with Champa in the way he did. It makes me more invested in how his subplot with Freeza and the fate of war profiteering and planet selling scheme. This makes the revelation of Frost being the mastermind behind starting wars to profit from, as well as the fall of that grand pyramid scheme, also feel far more significant in the wider scope of the narrative because Frost has more of incentive to fight and survive. And it make Frost even more of a scumbag because he's far more concerned with his war profiteering and planet selling scheme then his is about the fate of his universe given that is was motivate his for the Tournament Of Power. It's those details that I really like about Super because it just adds the unexpected dimension to a character that you didn't think could be layered to begin with. The writing of Frost's characterisation was brilliant and far better than I expected since the Champa arc.

Once again, Super bring out the best with Roshi. I really loved how defiant he well as how well he interacted with Vegeta. Roshi tried his hardest to contribute in the tournament, and in the end saved Vegeta, who originally bailed out Roshi from Frost about to lobotomise him(?) What I really appreciate the most is the fashion of which Roshi exited the tournament. It was obvious he was running on fumes and instead of pointlessly killing himself, Roshi took the advice of Vegeta and eliminated himself so he could live to see how well his team would perform. Classy option, Super. I do question how Frost managed to, not only reverse the Mafuba, but redirect to a completely different person. Oh well. It lead to great character for Roshi and Vegeta, so I can forgive it.

Maji Kayo really brought a lot to the table in terms of characterisation but the one scene wonder that is Jiren, provided one of the best moments in the tournament so far with how he eliminated Maji Kayo.

You know, in my personal assessment of Dragon Ball Super, I made the specific comment about how the inconsistency of Dragon Ball Super can bring out the best and worst with Dragon Ball. And I made the example with regards to Roshi in how the show produced one of the worst episodes featuring him (Episode 89), but also made one of the best episodes featuring him (Episode 105). This episode is another prime example of Super's inconsistency in quality managing to work incredibly well in its favour spectacularly.

This was best episode of the tournament so far and one of Super's best episodes.

Noah
                        Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 pm

PMD wrote:Vegeta + Roshi. OMG. I never though I would see that alliance. So great line by Vegeta at the end: "Hey old man, this is where you quit. Eat a senzu bean before you die and leave the rest to me." SO BADASS, and it shoes Vegeta actually cares about Z Fighters. I loved the classic and nostalgic line: "Don't get the wrong idea", when he saved Mutten Roshi.
                        EXACTLY!

That's how you do Vegeta character for God's sake! This is not that hard! They can show him with his usual pose, but still showing signs that he cares about the guys he's fighting along, something we would expect from him after the Boo arc.
                        GodVegetto91 wrote:As for Jiren this episode, ......MINDBLOWN! he was absolutely phenomenal! I'm now even more convinced that he is the mortal Whis spoke about.
                        I don't think so as I think Whis would have said something if that was the case. I think this mortal is one of the hidden fighters they spoke about from U4. That's the only reason I saw Beerus so concerned about them, he didn't said a word about Jiren yet.
                        MajinMan wrote:Man, I love Frost. People wanted a good Freeza and hated that he was actually evil, but I really enjoyed it. He's so similar to Freeza, but he's so different at the same time. Next episode seems interesting too.
                        Like how? :eh:
                        乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Torturephile
                        Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I guess I got it wrong, but does Vegeta say "retire" to Roshi so that he should quit from the ToP, or from fighting in general?
                        From Super episode 113 thread:
                        MaskedRider wrote:
                        Torturephile wrote:
                        hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
                        namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
                        The fandom in a nutshell.
                        The duality of man.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
                        I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Torturephile wrote:I guess I got it wrong, but does Vegeta say "retire" to Roshi so that he should quit from the ToP, or from fighting in general?
                        I'm pretty sure he means from the Tournament of Power, since, you know, he's on the verge of dying.

FortuneSSJ
                        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Awesome episode!!

Universe 11 finally eliminated someone and he was not from U6 or U7. Still waiting for Toppo to eliminate someone, because it's obvious Jiren is only starting.

Frost was handled in a flawless way. This is by far the most interesting thing they did with his character.
                        Roshi is finally out! He accomplished more in this Tournament than in the rest of the franchise. 3 Mafubas and he's still alive...
                        Vegeta keeps eliminating other fighters, but somehow his fanboys will always complain.

I love how Beerus pointed out that the 3 U7 fighters eliminated so far are all bald. :lol:

-NEP-

I would like Piccolo or C18 to defeat Frost, but if he's gonna try to shoot Freeza in the back then it's over for him.
                        Cabba is back and Toppo is taking care of him.
                        Goku vs Ribrianne should be fun.
                        A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheOne
                        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:22 pm

It was a good episode surprisingly.

Still not a big fan of seeing an exhausted Roshi outperform a fresh Piccolo when fighting Frost.
                        How i predict the tournament will end:

Boo Machine
                        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:40 pm

I woudln't really call Roshi being Pummeled and tortured into the ground and Roshi catching Frost off guard for a second only to be smacked back down again, to be out performing piccolo.

Frost even comments about how hard it is to hold back, so it's not like Frost is exactly giving it his all and is fighting Roshi as an equal.
                        SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Hellspawn28
                        Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:09 pm

I personally like it. I knew that Vegeta would be thrown out of the ring so soon since they are probably going to do with something with the U2 Tsufurujin.
                        She/Her
                        PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
                        LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BlueBasilisk
                        I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:14 pm

I wonder if Cabba vs Toppo is going to be a thing or if it's going to be another one of those drive-by attacks like Magetta's brief cameo in 105?

MajinMan
                        Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Noah wrote:
                        MajinMan wrote:Man, I love Frost. People wanted a good Freeza and hated that he was actually evil, but I really enjoyed it. He's so similar to Freeza, but he's so different at the same time. Next episode seems interesting too.
                        Like how? :eh:
                        He's more sneaky than Freeza. He's a much bigger liar and two-faced. He's willing to work with his teammates, something Freeza has not done or shown to care about. He's smarter than Freeza is, at least I think so. Then there was that whole business scheme he had wher ehe pretended to be a good guy, something Freeza would also never do.

I did say that they are similar too, so I'm not saying that they're completely different. I just like all the small differences between them.
                        Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Hellspawn28
                        Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Frost seems to care about his personality as a good person. He pretends to be good while Freeza was never like that.
                        She/Her
                        PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
                        LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Greator

Post by Greator » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Stunningly incredible episode. Loved every second of it. Characters were so on point and animation was very, very nice.

Mafuba on Vegeta was clever twist too. I'm glad he isn't out yet though.

Lord Beerus
                        Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:54 pm

I also have forgot to mention that Beerus continues to the best written character in this arc. The fact that he has so much respect for his team and is going out of his way to remember the names of guys like Roshi is just fantastic.

precita
                        Banned

Post by precita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Beerus calling Krillin/Tien/Roshi, "The 3 baldies" honestly made me laugh so hard.

That was so damn funny. Haha, the baldies.

Lord Beerus
                        Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:09 pm

precita wrote:Beerus calling Krillin/Tien/Roshi, "The 3 baldies" honestly made me laugh so hard.

That was so damn funny. Haha, the baldies.
                        Beerus is self aware that there are many bald fighters in Dragon Ball. :P

KidGoku>3
                        Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Guess my opinion differs from, well almost everyone. Surprised to see many loved it. I thought it was another dull episode.

Dunno, in 10 years time when I rewatch DBS, I think I will skip at least 90% of the show. It's just stupid when they showed Goku rushing to Roshi then the entire battle Goku couldn't reach it ? Why even bother using Goku at all to convey that scene because it felt so disconnected from the rest. Just cut to Vegeta being the one to rush to Roshis aid would've at least made sense considering the rest of the scene. And honestly I knew Vegeta would get out of it somehow, I knew Frost was gonna try to trick Vegeta into it I saw it happening before it happened and then it happened and I'm just...meh. Fights are still boring as usual. Dunno I really felt bored through most of these last few episodes. Pretty much since the start of the episode tbh except a few moments here and there. And this whole SH1T of Vegeta being the same old stubborn cliche line of ''I'm just here because for me not for you BS''...then change it up to someone who cares. Can we just stick to ONE character motivation ? Can he move the F on from the same old lines and character motivation ? Surely the writers can do that. He isn't the old selfish, heartless, annoying idiot anymore. He's moved on. So why continuously fall back on those old patterns ? Vegeta has changed. He's a good guy now. Let's stick to that.

I don't know man, I find the fights boring for the most part, abilities are lame, no curve balls, no shocks, no real stakes. It feels like as safe as things can be.
                        I would've enjoyed it if Vegeta for example would've been eliminated like that. Would've added some intensity, surprise. We know he's going to get eliminated what 2nd, 3rd or 4th anyway. It's the usual DB pattern. Why not throw a curve ball and change that up ? Not a single ''wow did that just happen ? OMG'' moment. I'm legit watching this just to see the Limit Breaker form. They better at least nail that JirenxGoku fight. Not holding my breath though.

Kinokima
                        I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Vegeta has changed. He's a good guy now. Let's stick to that.
                        And nothing in this arc has changed that. They are sticking to it. Vegeta is also a Tsundere who is never going to outright show affection or that he cares unless he isn't in control of himself. It's part of his character. It doesn't mean he is being selfish or only thinking of himself. With Vegeta his actions speak louder than his words.

Kataphrut
                        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 pm

I want to add one minor criticism, which is I don't think Vegeta's return at the end was satisfying enough. Like, Roshi breaking the bottle and Vegeta bursting out in SS Blue should've been the payoff, but all he does is blast Magetta's ears while Frost smokes out. There should've been a beatdown. Either he lays into Frost who has to be bailed out by Magetta, or he just beats up Magetta without needing to insult him. Frost can still escape, but I would've liked if they'd better conveyed the idea that Vegeta was going to make them pay for that trick.

Polyphase Avatron
                        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:06 am

Comments on this episode:

- I'm surprised they haven't even bothered to try to retouch the horrible Freeza animation in the OP by now. They've had plenty of time.
                        - I think this is the first time we've seen Champa and Vados' home, isn't it?
                        - Well you are the only Universe 6 fighter who has knocked out a Universe 7 fighter so far, so you're already off to a good start...
                        - I just noticed that Universes 3 and 11 basically are in opposite positions - one has lost only 3 warriors but that includes some of their strongest, and the other has lost 7 but their strongest remain. I wonder if that's intentional?
                        - So do the universe symbols mean anything? I don't remember seeing them before
                        - So even Beerus and Whis can't detect these stealth fighters from universe 4?
                        - I like how they're confirming my assumption that Dyspo is the third strongest Pride Trooper
                        - I wonder how they're going to translate this pun in the dub...
                        - Funny how they're playing heroic music for Jiren even though he's supposed to be the antagonist of this arc (also he doesn't seem to be acting very heroic so far...)
                        - Was that a One Punch Man reference right there?
                        - Come on, Roshi, it's a fight for the very survival of your universe. Methods like that are completely justified.
                        - You just know people are going to complain about the Roshi vs. Frost powerscaling... in fact I bet most of the posts on this thread are about that topic, lol
                        - This makes me wonder why they never tried the Mafuba against Buu. It would be a perfect counter to his regeneration, and it works on people stronger than the user. The excuses I've heard before are that Buu is too strong so it wouldn't work, but the way it's being used recently pretty much shoots that down
                        - Using something like senzu beans would count as outside assistance, right? Or does Beerus mean he thinks Roshi is about to be eliminated and he'll give him one after he is?
                        - I like the laser sight on Frost's finger, that's a neat effect
                        - I like the return of the Big Bang attack here
                        - Is he calling Magetta a cheater for blocking up his ears with magma, or is he referring to how Frost cheated in the last tournament?
                        - I'm surprised Roshi would fall for Frost's trick that easily...
                        - It makes absolutely no sense for Frost to know the reverse Mafuba technique after just witnessing the original technique for the first time - it woud make more sense to say that if he saw it coming he could just use his ki to deflect it, but actually saying he knows the counter? What?
                        - Also didn't the technique take Goku a lot of practice to master? Trunks one-upped him by learning it in a few minutes from watching a video, but Frost just went even further by copying it after seeing it used against him once...
                        - Roshi rarely uses generic ki blast techniques, doesn't he? This is actually the only time I can recall him doing so (unless you count that invisible wind attack against Yamcha in the 21st Budokai)
                        - So why can Frost disappear like a ninja again?
                        - I've noticed that Universes 6 and 7 seem to be losing fighters at an equal rate - every time one of them loses one the other one does too. That supports my theory that the final confrontation in the tournament will be between fighters from these two universes.
                        - I guess this also disproves the theory that the ending sequence showed the order of elimination of the Universe 7 fighters

I liked this episode overall, but I do think this arc is beginning to drag a bit
                        Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147