Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Sinestro » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 am

IntoTheFire wrote:Frieza remains my favorite fighter in the tournament. He was killing it. Jimiz disn't stand a chance.
I must admit I did believe that he went against the seventh universe, but this was a nice surprise.
Poor Frost. I was so shocked when he was erased.
I wish one of the universe 7 members would remeber to give Jimiz a senzu bean. It's not like he is any threat to them anymore.
Wait...we can type "Frieza" now?

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:35 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote: Yeah, I'm trying to avoid spoilers I'm just curious at how long the special is. So if it's 2 episodes aired back to back that makes about 44 minutes or so, yeah? Eh... it's not even an hour. Still seems pretty short for all of that to happen in terms of Goku already fighting AND using a spirit bomb on Jiren at the very least just going by the NEP, regardless of what else happens with the other universes with whatever those spoilers are.
Yeah, having what seems to be the climax happen with so many fighters still in the ring is pretty nuts. Guess we just have to see where it leads. Though of course the special means that next week is no new episode so it's going to be another long wait.
Oh really, we have to wait two weeks again? That majorly sucks. Oh well, as long as it's good I don't mind.

Also, doesn't the spirit bomb drain whoever gives energy to it? Since, y'know, they're giving their energy. Does this mean the rest of U7 is going to get fucked over trying to make this spirit bomb? Or perhaps they're going to exploit the fact that 17 and 18 have an unlimited supply of energy that they can give? I think Goku did say in the NEP "everyone give me your energy" though, so that probably isn't the case either.
UnknownPigWarrior wrote:Ready for Frieza to stay dead/get erased as soon as possible. He's ruining this whole arc. Only way his return (again) can be redeemed is if he becomes a good guy -even then it won't excuse this garbage episode.
Wait wait, weren't you saying before that Super is like, dead to you or something? Yet you want Freeza to be redeemed as a good guy? That just seems like such an odd thing to say from someone who clearly likes DBZ over Super.

UnknownPigWarrior

Post by UnknownPigWarrior » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:41 am

Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote: Yeah, I'm trying to avoid spoilers I'm just curious at how long the special is. So if it's 2 episodes aired back to back that makes about 44 minutes or so, yeah? Eh... it's not even an hour. Still seems pretty short for all of that to happen in terms of Goku already fighting AND using a spirit bomb on Jiren at the very least just going by the NEP, regardless of what else happens with the other universes with whatever those spoilers are.
Yeah, having what seems to be the climax happen with so many fighters still in the ring is pretty nuts. Guess we just have to see where it leads. Though of course the special means that next week is no new episode so it's going to be another long wait.
Oh really, we have to wait two weeks again? That majorly sucks. Oh well, as long as it's good I don't mind.

Also, doesn't the spirit bomb drain whoever gives energy to it? Since, y'know, they're giving their energy. Does this mean the rest of U7 is going to get fucked over trying to make this spirit bomb? Or perhaps they're going to exploit the fact that 17 and 18 have an unlimited supply of energy that they can give?
UnknownPigWarrior wrote:Ready for Frieza to stay dead/get erased as soon as possible. He's ruining this whole arc. Only way his return (again) can be redeemed is if he becomes a good guy -even then it won't excuse this garbage episode.
Wait wait, weren't you saying before that Super is like, dead to you or something? Yet you want Freeza to be redeemed as a good guy? That just seems like such an odd thing to say from someone who clearly likes DBZ over Super.
I like Dragon Ball the most, actually. I like Z and Super about the same. Super is dead to me but it can be revived.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:41 am

Frieza was tremendous again in this episode and really carried it. First off, the brutal point blank blast to Jimeze's face was brutal by the looks of Jimeze's face, but hey that's the ruthless Frieza which is nice to see. And I had a feeling he'd betray Frost but at least I wasn't completely sure throughout the episode. The thing I like most about Frieza is that he's got his sights set on the Gods of Destruction. He already messed around with Sidra during his revival. Whis says he may wish for Beerus' erasure with the Super Dragon Balls. He gave Helles an evil glare when she was stating how ugly Frieza was. And even Champa seems to be confused and wary of Frieza and his motives. I want to see Golden Frieza fight a God of Destruction. Heck we can even get that preview if we get that Golden Frieza vs Toppo match I've been waiting for. Anyways, I still don't trust Frieza and that's what keeps his character interesting.

So overall the episode was decent. But I hate to do this but I looked at it through a Gohan perspective and this was a terrible episode for Gohan's character. The main reason Gohan looked pretty bad this episode was because he wasn't in his Ultimate Gohan form. First Borareta is pushing base Gohan (who's tired from his fights with Obuni and the Prum Sniper combo) and Gohan makes the comment that he needs to find Piccolo, which I think is a sign of weakness. Then Jimeze attacks him with Instant Transmission and Gohan is shown to have no clue on how to counterattack a move his dad uses or power up in response to nearly being eliminated before Frieza saves him. And then against Golden Frieza, Gohan is shown to power up and fight back but ultimately be too tired and get knocked unconscious. Gohan had no positive moments in this episode other than getting the hint that Frieza wasn't gonna crush him and playing along. I'm not saying Gohan should only get good moments shown on screen because after all this is the Tournament of Power and is meant to be brutal. But this episode did not go well for Gohan.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:41 am

Freeza is so much more powerful than Frost... does anyone think one of the reasons for Freeza's charade was to make sure Frost didn't possess a similar power?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 am

Asura wrote: Also, doesn't the spirit bomb drain whoever gives energy to it? Since, y'know, they're giving their energy. Does this mean the rest of U7 is going to get fucked over trying to make this spirit bomb? Or perhaps they're going to exploit the fact that 17 and 18 have an unlimited supply of energy that they can give? I think Goku did say in the NEP "everyone give me your energy" though, so that probably isn't the case either.
Appearntally Ki is different from Genki and it depends how much they give, so maybe everyone will be fine? I can't say, except for that Spirit bomb doesn't seem to be all that big. My prediction some time ago was that he takes it from the light source that the arena has, but I don't even know if they could work.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:00 am

Not too great, but still a solid episode. Freeza continues to impress. Gohan was getting absolutely destroyed, though. I wish they let him put up a little more of a fight against Jimmy. Frost was in high school senpai mode for some reason, and I didn't really like that aspect of the episode. I liked the double cross Freeza did with Gohan at the end. Frost's erasure was also completely unexpected.

Probably a 7/10, maybe 7.5/10.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:11 am

How is he ruining the arc? Freeza is one of the more entertaining characters in the tournament. If anything, your suggestion of Freeza being redeemed would ruin the arc.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 am

Episode was ok. Freeza was great in his brutality of Jimizu and lol, Gohan did look real shitty just based on a visual display of him this episode. NEP looks fun. I look forward to seeing Jiren stomp Goku.

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:32 am

Before I read any of the previous comments and edit this post I just want to say, Frieza! His entire return has been great but the ride he took us on in this episode was an entire different level.

I've managed to avoid the spoilers so honestly did not know how this would turn out. Of course, the entire time I had a feeling Frieza would turn on Frost but I could not help being fooled. Frieza watching Gohan get beat up, not helping him fight or fight against him, really made me think that he would team with Frost for an episode or two at least. While he's still not trustworthy, I(we?) have no idea what to expect next with the character and that's great. Can't say how glad I am with his return enough times.

Frost being erased is wild, unexpected, and I still have yet to fully realize what just happened :lol: . Another moment in this episode where I was caught off guard, this was great all around.

-Quick edit from reading earlier post, Frost being erased sucks but at the same time with such a great Frieza (re)return, it's not so bad to lose him.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 am

Ribrianne once again having an impressive performance, and this fandom still probably has some people doubting how strong she is because they don't like her design or character, despite her looking strong every time she's been on screen.

The robot with large eyes briefly fighting Gohan was pretty cool, and I'm glad he wasn't eliminated instantly by Gohan, also Jimeze beating Gohan and dropping his stamina was cool to. Showing some of the newer characters techniques and not having them get instantly eliminated is a great thing.

I would have preferred it if Frost screwed over Frieza instead of how it turned out, but it was entertaining regardless. I'm wondering how Frieza is going to get eliminated and what's going to be his overall fate during the end of this arc.

Also I need to see a Toppo (maybe even with Dyspo) vs Frieza fight before either goes out of bounds.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:54 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Ribrianne once again having an impressive performance, and this fandom still probably has some people doubting how strong she is because they don't like her design or character, despite her looking strong every time she's been on screen.

The robot with large eyes briefly fighting Gohan was pretty cool, and I'm glad he wasn't eliminated instantly by Gohan, also Jimeze beating Gohan and dropping his stamina was cool to. Showing some of the newer characters techniques and not having them get instantly eliminated is a great thing.

I would have preferred it if Frost screwed over Frieza instead of how it turned out, but it was entertaining regardless. I'm wondering how Frieza is going to get eliminated and what's going to be his overall fate during the end of this arc.

Also I need to see a Toppo (maybe even with Dyspo) vs Frieza fight before either goes out of bounds.
Indeed well said Ilikepictures-meh! :thumbup:

While Indeed I wanted more of a showing of power by both Ribrianne and Goku cause I know BOTH are cable of higher levels, they still delivered a solid fight, both showing now sights of fatigue and backing down!

As to fans that keep underestimating her cause of style of look..........Well that is their own world to bear to make sense of that cause it does not Jive with Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball has ALWAYS been about the Different and Unique looking always showing power can come from anyone and anywhere, a Diamond in the Rough Ideal. If certain fans still want pre-packaged for all powerful characters that is their lost to them, The Facts as you say are on the Battle field and that is what counts allot in the end.

But too the liking of who the character is and the homage of what they stand for is key to being a fan of them! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Username2016

Post by Username2016 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 am

Good episode overall, Frieza betraying Frost. and Frost going ape shit was golden.

I feel like there's too much focus on Ribrianne, she's overstaying her welcome and I just want her to be eliminated already

We're finally seeing some Goku vs Jiren action but there's so many loose ends to tie up here Vegeta vs Hit rematch or Hit vs Dyspo? Toppo vs Goku part 2? Cabba vs someone? Don't get me wrong though, this Goku vs Jiren fight is gonna be hype as fuck but I want to see what other characters have in store as well. It's like having dinner without the appetizer.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 am

Gohan was in no danger against Jimeze whatsoever. I swear some of you guys don't read the subs properly or something :wtf:

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:05 am

Called it.

Though I admit, I was afraid the writers would somehow botch it. A good episode, albeit with some pacing issues. Frieza did save the episode while he had anyone guessing.

- Frieza pwning the Yardrat was indeed flawless of him. Although Gohan's apparent weakness *is* beginning to look tiresome, even to a non-Gohan fan like me. The kid seriously needs to re-grow a pair.

- The Frieza/Frost alliance was a missed opportunity. They never teamed up or fought together, and it was a simply a way for Frost to have Frieza attack his 'ally'. It's like the writers weren't sure what to do with Toriyama's bullet point.

- The minute Frieza egged Frost to go bulky, I knew Frost was done for. Amazing foreshadowing. Anyone noticed that the bukly form is quite bulkier and taller now?

- Frost getting erased was a holy crap moment and I was totally unprepared for it. Still think he'll be back though, along with everyone else.

- "Don't trust anyone." ... ... Is Frieza seeing everyone as if they're him? That is, he doesn't trust anyone, believes this is the way all being think, so he automatically assumes that everyone is evil and is only pretending otherwise because they're not strong enough to show their evil? If only someone could show him another way ... and make him believe it.

- Good for playing along, Gohan. You're not entirely useless. Now get back to work on that pair we talked about a few lines prior.

- Holy crap, Frieza giving a 'Shut your mouth, bitch' glare to Hella was amazing. He made a GODDESS gulp.

- Turns out the 3-sec fight between Toppo and Cabba was just for 107's NEP and didn't have any sort of expansion on the actual 108 episode. Kind of what I fear Ribrianne will be in the next one.
dbzfan7 wrote:-I love how Freeza called out the saiyan bullshit they've been doing this whole time. Freeza really is my MVP for the tournament so far.
Ironically, he's been doing the same damn thing for the whole tournament.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:11 am

nato25 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
RedHeat wrote: I don't like her personally, but I find it funny people don't get it yet.
That seems to go around a lot. =\

Her personality has been pretty clear and honestly at this point if you don't like its fine but others like me get it and love what we have seen. But Yeah still surprise this is happening.
It's just getting too much now. Anyone count how many times she said love this episode, at one point she was literally just saying it over and over again. I get that most of these Tournament of Power only characters are gonna be one dimensional but she is somehow less than that.

Also dissapointed that Toppo and his gang have all gone back to just saying Justice for no reason, basically erasing any cool impact that speech had where he said there is no justice just survival. They should have all never mentioned Justice again from that point on outside of attack names.
Really I don't Know............As Many times as they Want cause that is what they Believe In, One for Love, One for Justice cause they are Homaging their Gears and Hero styles!? :think:

Toppo can say justice all day but still get down to being Serious while still holding honor, an ideal I am glad they still are holding high so far. We have enough heroes going bad and villains in media, I don't need to see the Defenders of U11 going all evil just to survive. You can get serious and still stick to your values and I am proud that Toei is still on that.

Same with Ribrianne and Love, if that is the Ideal of what is one-dimensional.......Then Give me MORE of that cause Ribrianne has been one of the Few breaths of fresh air in this predictable franshice in for so long! The road for any characters starts at One-Dimension in some views, that leads then the 3D Character and form their and hear me out on this Crazy idea............Give them Several Dozen upon Dozen Episodes to flesh out who they are.....Crazy Huh!? :o ;)

Seriously, Ribrianne has had what 2 1/2 episodes and we are already ready to throw her under the bus cause she says love as her theme like the Pride Troopers say Justice?! Well the Reality of the truth is.........That is why Fans Like me love the characters! They stick to their principles and beliefs and focus their fighting styles around those ideals, just like any superhero. It is pretty refreshing for fans like me who get tired of the same old hat that Dragon Ball has had with characters just about being stronger for stronger sakes, characters with ideals and they fight for them is refreshing.

I Gave Goku, Vegita, Gohan, Piccolo, Majin Buu and Many others Hundreds and I mean Hundreds of Episodes to define themselves. Characters like Toppo and Ribrianne have had barley a few, some not even a handful yet. If was want to be fair like we where to the original others, we give them time to develop more before we throw them under the bus cause they don't fit our personal narrative with how a pure dragon ball character should look.

I know this all sounds crazy to give New Characters actual time to develop before we Judge, Jury and Send them backing, but I think if it worked for that Goku guy and Vegita dude, it just might work here! :mrgreen:

An even if that does not work for you..........Really Who then cares?! :yawn:

Like who You like and I will like Who I Like, their is Room for all of them in the Multiverse now for them all, let fans like who they want and stick to yours if it does come to that, but like fans ask me all the time, keep an open mind. ;)
My #1 in DB!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:22 am

Another great episode, Toei has really made up for the slow start this tournament had and I can't wait to see what's next.

When Frost tried to attack Freeza I thought Freeza would kill him before he could fire it but out of nowhere Zeno did...assuming he's dead. It was a really great way to show how messed up and dangerous Zeno can be.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:25 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Ribrianne once again having an impressive performance, and this fandom still probably has some people doubting how strong she is because they don't like her design or character, despite her looking strong every time she's been on screen.

I don't think this is the episode to say that Ribrianne had a impressive showing. She was literally beating on base Goku, something that even the lowest of the low tier fighters have been capable of doing in this tournament.

I could totally get behind the fact that she is powerful, her showings against Vegeta and 17 more than prove that, but this episode had a very weak showing on her part.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:28 am

King Jacku wrote:Gohan was in no danger against Jimeze whatsoever. I swear some of you guys don't read the subs properly or something :wtf:
Some quotes from Gohan's fight against Jimeze:

"He's accurately going for Gohan's blind spots!" -Krillin
"He's faster than imaginable! Gohan is being stumped by his speed!" -Roshi
"H-He's strong..." -Gohan
"You have potential as a warrior, but you're up against the wrong opponent. Goodbye." -Jimeze
"I see you're having trouble." -Freeza
"Good timing Freeza! Save the kid!" -Beerus
"You're having trouble with an opponent of this level! You're not as good as I thought." -Freeza
"It's over. Say your prayers!" -Jimeze, during their second bout

Which part of the subs were we misreading? Gohan was most certainly in some danger. Whether that danger was manufactured or not due to Gohan refusing to power up is another matter entirely.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:32 am

JazzMazz wrote:

I don't think this is the episode to say that Ribrianne had a impressive showing. She was literally beating on base Goku, something that even the lowest of the low tier fighters have been capable of doing in this tournament.

I could totally get behind the fact that she is powerful, her showings against Vegeta and 17 more than prove that, but this episode had a very weak showing on her part.
I was still an Impressive Fight from the 2, but by what has been shown the past with Ribrianne, she is Far Higher then base Goku so why this was a Base Level Fight is just Weird, I don't get why toei did that?! :crazy:

But you enjoy what you can get and you give credit where it is due and Ribrianne was impressive for what Toei was willing to give us even on a base level fight.
My #1 in DB!