Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by AloversGaming » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

I found this episode disappointing in terms of animation and writing, but mainly the writing. It felt so rushed with no sense of pacing. Examples being how quickly Freeza went from deciding to fight the Yardrat after Gohan to deciding to step in, and his turning on Frost.

It was all near instant:
"I'll fight second! Kidding, fight me now!"
"Frost & I are working together! Got ya, I got rid of him.."

It often feels like the writers don't have any experience writing stories outside of small comic strip panels. Every secret has to be revealed instantly, every plan overly explained by the Gods and knocked out fighters.

Somewhere around the later portion of the Black arc the scripts started falling apart.

"100% power wastes energy so use your potential fast"
"WOW! Great advice!"

That's terrible.

There was also no explaining on how Freeza countered IT. He said basically said "that won't work against me... for reasons.."

Next episode looks like Goku is using the Spirit Bomb. Why? It is created from life energy, not ki. It's going to be weak as Hell if he only uses life from those at the tournament. And doesn't it deal no damage to pure hearted people? Was that a dub error? If not; Jiren probably won't be harmed by it. It's a waste of the attacks return.

I don't mean to be overly negative, but damn.

Slow down the pacing, make attacks/reveals/transformations etc. seem grand, impressive, and special. Get writers that read books, not their peers comics.

Characters like Freeza are intelligent, cunning, and have a dangerous aura of mystery about them.

Freeza in this episode came across as if he was coming up with his plan on the fly. It should have been so much better.

I hope they get it together later and have Freeza's true intentions be impressive and a highlight of not just this arc or Super, but all of DB. But this episode was a disappointment.

----

Now, not to be 100% down on this episode here's a few things I did like:

* Frost getting wiped out by Zeno was pretty cool.
* Seeing 100% Freeza was also cool.
* That knock out kick to Gohan's neck looked and sounded great
* Frost's rage at Freeza before attempting to blast his backstabber was lovely
* Golden Freeza looked fine, I think we're safe for good from episode 24 repeating
* Roshi, Ten, and Krillin showing despite being out that they can still give useful information to Beerus and the others. Humans rock!

User avatar
YonedgeHP
Regular
Posts: 658
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 12:36 pm
Location: Maracaibo, Zulia (Venezuela)
Contact:

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by YonedgeHP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

precita wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:
UnknownPigWarrior wrote:
Permanently erasing a great character like Frost so even if they did a way to spare the universes, he's gone still. All so boring Frieza can be celebrated more.

Who cares about new characters when we can just keep bringing back Frieza over and over again!!!
I definitely agree on that Frost got wasted so damn quickly, being an important character in his universe and being the main antagonist of the franchise counterpart, I liked his character since the last episode. On the other part, the Freeza action was very good and he is always on-character.
I don't see how Frost was wasted. He had the whole Roshi episode and he really is kind of redundant now that Freeza is back.

I'm not sure what else they could have done with him.
I don't know, but introducing him to a new form to just erase him seconds later is rather odd.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Shlugo
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Shlugo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Man, Gohan got beaten up like a scrub by Jimez. And the Freeza came and smacked him down. Git Gud Gohan.

It's kinda weird how Freeza is suddenly the more cunning than Frost, when up until now it was the other way around.

Frost getting erased was unexpected.

Meanwhile Goku is just messing around instead of fighting seriously.

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3698
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:20 pm

TheOne wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
UnknownPigWarrior wrote:
Frost is a better character than "lol we brought him back AGAIN" Frieza. What a waste.
Sorry clone characters are never as good as the real deal.
Debatable. I think I'd rather have Kale than Broly. Mostly because she doesn't have a 13 word vocabulary :lol:
I think we can file Kale as being an exemption to the rule.

User avatar
IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:56 am

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by IntoTheFire » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Frieza remains my favorite fighter in the tournament. He was killing it. Jimiz disn't stand a chance.
I must admit I did believe that he went against the seventh universe, but this was a nice surprise.
Poor Frost. I was so shocked when he was erased.
I wish one of the universe 7 members would remeber to give Jimiz a senzu bean. It's not like he is any threat to them anymore.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1542
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Shlugo wrote:Man, Gohan got beaten up like a scrub by Jimez. And the Freeza came and smacked him down. Git Gud Gohan.

It's kinda weird how Freeza is suddenly the more cunning than Frost, when up until now it was the other way around.

Frost getting erased was unexpected.

Meanwhile Goku is just messing around instead of fighting seriously.
Honestly, they BOTH where messing around, both Goku and Ribrianne.

Ribrianne has already shown far higher levels then this, so I don't get why they both where nerfed to just fight at base level, just a waste of higher shows I and others know could have been shown. SMH. :problem:
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
Torturephile
Regular
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Torturephile » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Whatever wrote:Interesting how as soon as Piccolo left Gohan he looked like a confused puppy.
That's parental neglect. He should be destroyed on the spot like Frost.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13928
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Fun episode. I do wish that we found out on how a Yardrat exist in Universe 2. Maybe we will find out or it will be explain in the Manga.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Artorias » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 pm

AloversGaming wrote:I found this episode disappointing in terms of animation and writing, but mainly the writing. It felt so rushed with no sense of pacing. Examples being how quickly Freeza went from deciding to fight the Yardrat after Gohan to deciding to step in, and his turning on Frost.

It was all near instant:
"I'll fight second! Kidding, fight me now!"
"Frost & I are working together! Got ya, I got rid of him.."

It often feels like the writers don't have any experience writing stories outside of small comic strip panels. Every secret has to be revealed instantly, every plan overly explained by the Gods and knocked out fighters.

Somewhere around the later portion of the Black arc the scripts started falling apart.

"100% power wastes energy so use your potential fast"
"WOW! Great advice!"

That's terrible.

There was also no explaining on how Freeza countered IT. He said basically said "that won't work against me... for reasons.."

Next episode looks like Goku is using the Spirit Bomb. Why? It is created from life energy, not ki. It's going to be weak as Hell if he only uses life from those at the tournament. And doesn't it deal no damage to pure hearted people? Was that a dub error? If not; Jiren probably won't be harmed by it. It's a waste of the attacks return.

I don't mean to be overly negative, but damn.

Slow down the pacing, make attacks/reveals/transformations etc. seem grand, impressive, and special. Get writers that read books, not their peers comics.

Characters like Freeza are intelligent, cunning, and have a dangerous aura of mystery about them.

Freeza in this episode came across as if he was coming up with his plan on the fly. It should have been so much better.

I hope they get it together later and have Freeza's true intentions be impressive and a highlight of not just this arc or Super, but all of DB. But this episode was a disappointment.

----

Now, not to be 100% down on this episode here's a few things I did like:

* Frost getting wiped out by Zeno was pretty cool.
* Seeing 100% Freeza was also cool.
* That knock out kick to Gohan's neck looked and sounded great
* Frost's rage at Freeza before attempting to blast his backstabber was lovely
* Golden Freeza looked fine, I think we're safe for good from episode 24 repeating
* Roshi, Ten, and Krillin showing despite being out that they can still give useful information to Beerus and the others. Humans rock!
One of the biggest problems with this arc has been the pacing. They speed things up when they shouldn't and they slow things down when it isn't necessary. There are countless moments where the action/progression just zips all over the place with no sense of build up or timing. And then there are other times, like this episode, where they have a pointless literally 20 SECOND LONG stare down.

Even though the animation has been improved significantly, the writing is still just as wonky as ever.

User avatar
AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by AloversGaming » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
Sorry clone characters are never as good as the real deal.
Debatable. I think I'd rather have Kale than Broly. Mostly because she doesn't have a 13 word vocabulary :lol:
I think we can file Kale as being an exemption to the rule.
And of course the greatest clone of all;

Image

User avatar
Whatever
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Whatever » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Torturephile wrote:
Whatever wrote:Interesting how as soon as Piccolo left Gohan he looked like a confused puppy.
That's parental neglect. He should be destroyed on the spot like Frost.
Maybe he needed a vacation from losing arms,it can be very stressful.
Funny thing how the first thing he says after getting injured from that random robot is to find Piccolo lol.

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1542
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Fun episode. I do wish that we found out on how a Yardrat exist in Universe 2. Maybe we will find out or it will be explain in the Manga.
I think we will get Jimeze and the other Yardrat's backstory in the next arc most likely, not enough time to go into full backstory in an tournament sadly.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13001
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:30 pm

A good episode. Though with some hiccups for me.

-Freeza was excellent throughout and was a joy to watch. They really are making up for his piece of shit arc.
-I hardly call that a twist as it was that, or Freeza looks like an incompetent moron.
-I liked Freeza and Frost interacting which was fun as a novelty.
-Gohan though really looked bad for most of the episode. He's exhausted for some reason beforehand, gets needlessly thrown around by fodder as Freeza said, and pretty much only had a moment of competence instead of going full dumbass.
-I liked the fight between the two of them, even if it was a mock fight so we didn't get a real battle between the two.
-While I like the theatrics, they were pretty pointless considering Freeza could eliminate Frost easy anyways. I like to think Gohan played a long once he noticed immediately Freeza wasn't taking things seriously, and Freeza was basically just having fun.
-I love how Freeza called out the saiyan bullshit they've been doing this whole time. Freeza really is my MVP for the tournament so far.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3698
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Shlugo wrote:Man, Gohan got beaten up like a scrub by Jimez. And the Freeza came and smacked him down. Git Gud Gohan.

It's kinda weird how Freeza is suddenly the more cunning than Frost, when up until now it was the other way around.

Frost getting erased was unexpected.

Meanwhile Goku is just messing around instead of fighting seriously.
Well it's nnot to odd really. It's just they are different.

Frieza ruled by might while Frost ruled with lies. Both were universal emperors but did the job differently. During his initial battles Frieza was just playing with the heroes as he had a rediculas edge in power. When Goku went SS Frieza started being far more cunning but only because he had to. When he was resurrected Frieza came up with an almost fool proof plan to kill everyone even if he was beaten and it was only foiled by Beerus an Whis. Likewise during his recruitment he made fools of Goku, the assassins and Sidra. Frieza may prefer to use threats and brute force to get his way but people forget just how cunning he can be.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13928
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Freeza turning against Frost makes sense since he knows that he wants to be alive and he knows that Beerus would wipe him out if he does something wrong. I do think Frost getting erase was a big surprise. I didn't see that coming at all.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Things I Liked:

-Gohan's three mini-fights this episode were all alright. Not great, but alright.
-Freeza was fairly entertaining this episode.
-Freeza torturing Jimeze was pretty sick.
-The Golden Freeza transformation never gets old. Also, was that a Street Fighter reference during Golden Freeza vs. Gohan? Awesome.
-Frost's erasure was at least well done.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-They actually avoided re-using Helles's poses! They re-used some other animation, and others looked pretty lousy, but hey, credit where credit is due!
-Some of the commentary from the peanut gallery was pretty good, but other parts were just completely unnecessary. Zen-oh during the Gohan vs. Freeza bit was particularly obnoxious.
-Goku vs. Ribrianne was okay, but it had a lot of re-used animation (probably saving up for the special) and it of course didn't elaborate on why Goku never bothered trying to IT to Roshi last week.

Things I Disliked:

-Absolutely zero explanation for why Piccolo and Gohan aren't still together. Great job Super.
-This episode unfortunately went in the most predictable way it could have. As soon as Krillin and the others spent several minutes discussing Freeza betraying them, I knew exactly how this episode was going to go. That little zoom-in on Gohan's face just cemented it. The tournament has generally thrown in some curve balls, but this was almost as by-the-book as it could have been.
-This episode coming immediately after last week's great episode was a bad idea. Frost looked amazing as an antagonist last week, but here, pardon my French, he looked like shit. This was a very disappointing way to end off his character arc for this tournament.
-Freeza's comment about Gohan and saiyans was just so bizarre. I guess growing up on DBZ, this whole thing is just stupid. It's like they're trying to justify why Caulifla sat there getting destroyed in her base form by the Pride Troopers, or why Gohan was getting stomped by Jimeze but then goes toe-to-toe with Freeza, who destroyed Jimeze. I can sort of buy Goku and Vegeta holding back, but Gohan does not strike me as that sort of character. Especially since he already busted out his ultimate form against Obuni and subsequently used it against Freeza. I can only buy into so much bullshit.


Overall, I have very mixed feelings on this episode. I hesitate to call this episode bad because it had plenty of really cool moments. However, this was certainly a step down from last week and I can definitely say that I personally do not like this episode. This episode ended up being so formulaic and the fights were so "meh" that it wasn't enough to distract me from all of the stupidity. This was a disappointing follow-up to last week's excellent portrayal of Frost and Super continues to make up terrible excuses for why certain plot points happen. This isn't the worst episode of the tournament for me, but it's nowhere close to being in the top 5 in my opinion.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

User avatar
shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:41 pm

This episode was great

Only 31 Competitors Remain in the Tournament of Power

Was I the only one who was hoping for Frost to transform into Cooler's fifth form? Alas, he got eliminated by Zen-chan instead :(

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Was I the only one who was hoping for Frost to transform into Cooler's fifth form? Alas, he got eliminated by Zen-chan instead :(
I was hoping but had no expectation of it actually happening. :( But you know, Frost has nobody to blame but himself for what happened. Hit warned him of the consequences of cheating.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by precita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Anyone notice the events of this episode all took place in the span of 1 minute? The last episode said 30 minutes were remaining, this episode said 29.

I guess those fights with Yardrat/Gohan, Freeza jumping in and fighting him instead, and then Freeza/Gohan while Frost watches, and then Freeza betraying Frost all happened in 60 seconds. :lol:

User avatar
Boo Machine
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 pm
Location: On the Track to NoWhere

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 pm

An ok episode. Not super intereting visuals most of the time, but of course Freeza is great.

Goku vs Ribrianne is ok. At least Goku is distracted with other things.

That pair of pants with eyeballs that was shooting at gohan seemed pretty fun. Unfortunatly it appear Gohan not doing his best from the start is having a toll on him.

Jimize rules. It's shame he got knocked out the way he did. I feel there should have been more to him. oh well. At least Freeza put on a show.

Frost gets punks super hard. I love it. After all his tricks it's his own trust in someone else that gets his ass thrown out. And then Zeno erasing him for his attempts to shoot Freeza was great.

Freeza, you're cold blooded. Never change.

Next episodes are the special and it looks pretty nuts. Can't wait.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Post Reply