Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Bardo117 wrote:It had me on the edge of my seat! I truly thought Goku had died! I thought he was finished!
Really? Well, I guess you did a good job avoiding spoilers then.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:05 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Freezerbaby wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Here it is.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
:o :o :o :o Had to rewatch the NEP and stop it over ten times in that scene to catch it, no wonder I missed it, looks like Jiren will be able to unbelievably tank it anyway.
That definitely doesn't look like he's "tanking" it. He looks legit shocked.
For an attack that is supposed to kill its opponent on the spot, Jiren seems only to be pushed back so I take it you could say he will tank it.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 pm

There's a difference between surviving something and tanking it. My hope is even if he survives that wound and beats Hit, Jiren will be weakened from it. After the special set him up as pretty much invincible, wouldn't it be cool was if the rest of the arc was about the remaining powerful fighters stepping in to progressively whittle him down until Goku is able to take him on more even footing? It would revive the idea of teamwork that this arc was allegedly about but kind of left by the wayside.

and then Goku still loses and sets up for a Gohan win NO STOP DREAMING

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Ver late to the party but here are my simple thoughs:

109 was the best of the two episodes, 110 felt quite lackluster to me. Overall 110 had less good action cuts than 109. I think 110 spent too much time building up Goku reappearence and the new Ultra Instic Goku vs Jiren was a bit too conservative for my taste.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 pm

乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:58 am

Goku vs Hit, Vegito vs Merged Zamasu and now Goku vs Jiren are all the greatest fights of DBS! Amazing special that totally delivered. I had to watch it twice to get everything I wanted to say:

-Ribrianne apparently wants to takeover Helles role someday as a God of Love of Universe 2. I don't really understand how a wish will make her become that level but certainly interesting that Ribrianne has those aspirations. Too bad Super Ribrianne is not much of a match for SSJB Goku. Honestly Ribrianne has been a disappointment so far.

-Ribrianne landing at the feet of Jiren was an LOL moment for me. :lol: Never expected that. she fell at the feet of the scariest dude in the whole tournament. I thought Jiren would kick her out of the arena

-Jiren showcases his power throughout the entire special but Frieza never seems too worried. I wonder if that's overconfidence on Frieza's part. Golden Frieza is on par with SSJB not even SSJBKKx20. So I'm curious why Frieza doesn't show fear. Perhaps Frieza has also unlocked an Ultra Instinct technique? Frieza did mention that in Hell, he envisioned every conceivable way to beat Goku in his head. So maybe his body is trained to move on its own now since he's already thought it so many times in his head. We shall see

-Toppo mentions that Jiren has a desire to make a wish with the Super Dragon Balls. I wonder if this is just a throw-in line or if there is something Jiren actually really wants. It would definitely add to his stoic character if he really does have a want. I wonder what he could possibly want though? He's a God of Destruction

-When Goku and Jiren square off with Goku testing all his Saiyan forms and then fighting Jiren in SSJB, Goku is trying really hard from the get-go and I love that. I can rarely remember Goku going all out from the start and really trying. Crazy that no matter how hard he tried at that point was not enough to even come close to Jiren. I love serious Goku though!

-When they move to the Spirit Bomb part, it is astounding to me that Frieza was actually being a team player and contributing energy while Vegeta chose to be a jerk and not help out. What the heck is wrong with Vegeta? Is this that Saiyan not helping Saiyan during fights thing? Because it was honestly a terrible look for Vegeta. Idk why the writers did that

-Overall I enjoyed the Spirit Bomb idea. I thought it was a great form of teamwork displayed by (almost) all of Universe 7. We want more teamwork and that was pretty cool to see all those energy of U7 against the mighty Jiren.

-And then we have Vegeta fighting Ribrianne. Now I know Ribrianne was trying to screw up the Spirit Bomb so Vegeta was preventing that, but c'mon the fight of the year was going on and they got Vegeta and Ribrianne not giving a damn. I liked that every other character stopped to watch this heavyweight fight. Adds to the ambiance of Goku vs Jiren to have everyone stop and watch.

-I was questioning how strong Jiren was but for Whis to confirm that Jiren is a God of Destruction is insane. U11 legit has a GoD fighting for them and another soon to be GoD in Toppo. Unbelievable power at the top for the Pride Troopers.
-Quitela is also shown to be nonchalant during Jiren vs Goku. It makes me think for sure that he has something planned.

-It made me sad when Toppo has been surpassed by Goku and no longer needed. But it may raise the chances of Toppo vs Golden Frieza which would be awesome!

-First time the Grand Priest has been shown as something other than all-knowing when Goku displays his Ultra Instinct powers. I like that because it displays the significance of what Goku did. But overall the Grand Priest is not worried or anything

-Beerus was used beautifully through out the entire special. From his fear of Jiren's emitting energy, to the fear of watching SSJB Goku not stand a chance, to the fear of Goku being vaporized and gone forever, to the confidence that Goku is back to fight. Amazing use of a very important character through just emotion. Deep down, Beerus cares a lot about Goku and it was on full display in this special.

-So refreshing to see Goku not master a technique the first time he uses it! I was worried Goku would tap in and out of this Ultra Instinct and now take out Jiren with ease and everyone else. But no one knows the true origins of how it came out and no one is sure if Goku can even use it again. I'm sure it will come up again and my theory is Goku will combine it with Super Saiyan but it's so nice to see Goku the great not figure everything out all right away.

-One of my favorite parts of this episode was Hit at the very end. Hit basically saved Goku from being eliminated by Jiren the second time. Had Hit not attacked Jiren, then Jiren would sent Goku off the stage. And when Jiren asks what the Assassin of U6 wants, Hit replies "I'm working." My goodness, Hit is such a badass!! I do wonder how Hit will be able to even come close to Jiren in the next episode. I do understand that Hit has gotten stronger since the U6 vs U7 tournament but still he shouldn't be anywhere near Jiren.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 pm

But what happened to the "no fly rule", during the Genkidama power clash?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Gig wrote:But what happened to the "no fly rule", during the Genkidama power clash?
Goku isn't really flying, more just floating in place. I've always viewed it as the force that Goku and the Genkidama are putting out keeping him afloat.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Gig wrote:But what happened to the "no fly rule", during the Genkidama power clash?
Force of the struggle was holding Goku in the air:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:21 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Force of the struggle was holding Goku in the air:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Also I thought about that... But I guess the force of the struggle should have been many times stronger than the gravity: without being able to stabilize himself with flight ability, Goku should have been pushed out of the arena...
Oh well, they are just details.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:15 am

It just hit me... how the hell were Goku and Jiren flying in this episode?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:20 am

Holy crap KKx20 Goku vs. Jiren was pretty massive... insane fighting. These recent fights and the Goku Black fights top anything seen in Z. Seriously.

Super has given us all hope for animation, in fact I think animation is improving. Though not every episode is the same.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:Holy crap KKx20 Goku vs. Jiren was pretty massive... insane fighting. These recent fights and the Goku Black fights top anything seen in Z. Seriously.

Super has given us all hope for animation, in fact I think animation is improving. Though not every episode is the same.
The one in this episode maybe. I can't think of a single fight in Super that comes close to anything in Z. Maybe the final Merged Zamasu ones.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:Holy crap KKx20 Goku vs. Jiren was pretty massive... insane fighting. These recent fights and the Goku Black fights top anything seen in Z. Seriously.

The one in this episode maybe. I can't think of a single fight in Super that comes close to anything in Z. Maybe the final Merged Zamasu ones.
I highly respected the fights in Z, as a long time fan of the whole franchise since at least 2002 or 2003... I just wish there was less pausing and filler in between all the action. Even in one of my more favorite fights (Goku vs. Perfect Cell) they especially included more of the unnecessary stuff. Fighting was intense, okay. Could have more consistency, more Super-like choreography (like a few episodes in this series?) and less Hercule and folk dialogue/surprised faces. ;)
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:09 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:It just hit me... how the hell were Goku and Jiren flying in this episode?
They werent, they just jumped really high and was falling very slow :lol: they're just able to throw thousands of hands before gravity gets the better of them.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Noah wrote:Image
Underrated post. So cool!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:56 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:It just hit me... how the hell were Goku and Jiren flying in this episode?
They werent, they just jumped really high and was falling very slow :lol: they're just able to throw thousands of hands before gravity gets the better of them.
I guess Jiren transcends gravity too.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
I guess Jiren transcends gravity too.
They weren't flying. They were falling with style.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Got love escalation of power!! SSG Goku vs Beerus was a universe dooming fight but all SSG managed to do with Jiren was raise his finger. :lol:

Speaking of, the power gap between SSGSS and SSG was a lot bigger then I thought it would be!

Xehanort

Post by Xehanort » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 am

I'm going to be honest, I was seriously disliking Super up until this arc. I thought Battle of Gods was mediocre, although I loved Beerus and Whis, I thought Ressurection of F was pretty bad and Black Goku was a f***ing abomination (such cool concepts, such terrible execution). But I kept going because I was hearing the Universe Survival arc was really good, and i'm glad I didn't give up on Super because i'm loving it.

And this special made me feel like a kid again, getting excited for watching these characters fight. It was phenomenally good! Jiren is one hell of a villain, i'm having a very hard time understanding why people think he's boring and uninteresting. I cannot wait to see what's up with this guy, and to see him in action again. I also like his design a lot, those eyes are intimidating as f*** :shock:

Although I do like Ultra Instinct, and love the fact it's not a Super Saiyan form, I still don't quite get how Goku was able to achieve it. So he didn't absorb the energy of the Genki Dama, but he used it as a temporary source of power? So he could do that all along? And how exactly does that work? I don't know, I thought the explanation was a bit strange. Maybe they'll explain it better later on once Goku can use it again?

Anyway, this special was what made me hooked on Super until the end. Now I really wanna see how all this turns out in the end :D
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks