Super Episode 111 (15 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 111 (15 October 2017)

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:42 pm

The fight was cool and dramatic, but the ending was stupid. Logic screams, why they did not break the arena under Jiren? He was on an edge, it was not so hard.
Last edited by Ranmaru Rei on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:42 pm

What a lackluster after the two previous episodes, storywise I expected better.

- Freeza keeps being great in this arc, probably the best part of the episode. Love how he recognizes the need of Goku with full strenght and Jiren is a monster he should avoid :)

- Damn, I was enjoying the pouding Vegeta was gaving to Ribrianne until her scape! What a bummer...

- I think I almost puke at Rozie and her cliché speech trying to motivate Ribrianne :sick:

- Why didn't Hit used that 'heart stop' technique? Would the Grand Priest bring Jiren back if he was killed? :think:

- I am the only one who thought Hit was really STUPID in this episode? Why take so long to push Jiren out of the ring when he was immobilized? Why that 'assasin pride' bullsh*t coming out of NOWHERE when he could ask to Cabba, Caulifla and Kale to use their full power and combine techniques to push Jiren out of the ring? WHY?!

- How the heck Kale managed to not be eliminated by Jiren when he used the same technique he used on Hit? This is ridiculous :problem:

- It was nice to see Champa somewhat proud of Hit after he was eliminated :thumbup:

- I love how Jiren is such an arrogant bastard "no one is worth to be my opponent" kind of attitude, hope Damon, The new hidden warrior Goku gives the beating of his life in the finale.

- NEP seems to be way more interesting than this episode was, I hope to be right this time.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:46 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:proving once again that the "tactics are more important than power" narrative they've been pushing is bullshit because every damn time the stronger guy winss
Hit's tactic was pretty shit, which was what I'm annoyed most about, among all else. He could have held Jiren in place while SS2 Caulifla, Beserker Kale, and SS Cabba fired an all-out-attack on him. Sure, he had a force field, but fucking shit, it could have been something instead of what he decided to go with.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:48 pm

I overall really liked the episode. I'm taking a liking to both Hit and Jiren a lot more after this, seeing them play off of one another. Hit's techniques, or rather his continuous expansion and strategic implimentation of Tokitobashi is a blast to watch. His reliance on technique over strength makes me nostalgic.

The episode was fairly slow overall, but I did like seeing the U6 Namekians and the teaser of a fight between them and Gohan and Piccolo. It was also great how every character they showed had a purpose and had active goals to pursue. I loved the scene with Ribrianne and Rozie. The Toei team is showing Ribrianne a lot of love so I think there's something big in store for her, at least one more big moment before she's eliminated.

The worst part of the episode was the statements made by some of the spectators of how Jiren's overwhelming power literally breaks/dominates/surpasses time. Dumb statements like that said with a straight face make DBS an unwitting parody of itself and that's unfortunate. I guess I have to accept that this is a kid's show, but that still sounds like too stupid of a statement without trying for a proper explanation.

Oh and I like that Jiren's eye thing, his overpowering glare is an actual technique. He already has a few cool signatures that are rounding out his fighting style. The glare reminded me of heat vision, but more like punch vision lol
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:53 pm

How was Freeza saying they were standing in a blind spot make sense? Aren't the stands in a circular pattern all around the tournament, so people can see at every angle?

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:57 pm

precita wrote:How was Freeza saying they were standing in a blind spot make sense? Aren't the stands in a circular pattern all around the tournament, so people can see at every angle?
Not really Image

Plus, there's all these mountains of stone so it could conceal them (like when Roshi fought Darcori in a dark spot).
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:59 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:So Hit is out, predictably getting his shit kicked in by the inferior character and also proving once again that the "tactics are more important than power" narrative they've been pushing is bullshit because every damn time the stronger guy wins.

Damn it Super, I want to fucking like you but your writing is shit and it's hard to even care anymore.
The bold has always been Dragonball and continued to be so in Super.
They never pushed anything else.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Miracles wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:So Hit is out, predictably getting his shit kicked in by the inferior character and also proving once again that the "tactics are more important than power" narrative they've been pushing is bullshit because every damn time the stronger guy wins.

Damn it Super, I want to fucking like you but your writing is shit and it's hard to even care anymore.
You are factually wrong. Have you not seen the entire freakin' pre-tournament buildup.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 pm

I enjoyed this episode. The fighting was pretty OK. I'm happy we didn't get stuck with Hit vs Jiren for the whole episode.
The time-skip continues to puzzle me, it just does everything?

One of the aspects to highlight is Jiren's effect on others: Hit has to "sacrifice" himself and ask for assistance going against his personality, Champa holds back and compliments Hit for his performance understanding that Jiren is a monster, this besides all the reactions in the double episode.

This makes Jiren starting to earn his status as the big man of the arc, I think only Freeza was ridiculous enough to give this effect on other characters. I still need more but these two episodes gave the character a huge plus in my book.

Seems he's setting himself up to be defeated by his own hubris. I probably would only like this if Freeza was the one to do it, I'm him enjoying so much. Go Freeza, you mass-murderer... :?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Good episode.

I'm disappointed that Hit vs Jiren was short but it was cool regardless. In a franchise where screams and pure power became everything in fights, it's always refreshing seeing Hit using strategy to fight. I loved how he was thinking about Universe 6 survival. He keeps evolving as character and it's good to see his growth.

I wasn't expecting they would change the sky color when half the time had passed. Good idea.

This was the first episode where I liked Jiren. His attitude of going back to meditate after his job was done was badass. Finally some personality.

Next episode Vegeta beats Cabba again to motivate him. I loved episode 37, so I'm expecting good stuff next week.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:05 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Miracles wrote:

You are factually wrong. Have you not seen the entire freakin' pre-tournament buildup.
They said not only power but tactics will play an important role.
We have had both displayed in this tournament.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:06 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Miracles wrote:

Have you seen it?The Goku vs Krillin fight showed that tactics can get you far but there is a limit to how far it can get you,after Goku went blue Krillin could do nothing.
This has always been DB,even the tournament buildup had this.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Miracles wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Miracles wrote: The bold has always been Dragonball and continued to be so in Super.
And power has always prevailed. The "strategy" hype was bullshit.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Solid episode. 5/5 easily, but not as good as the special overall. The premier fight was better than UI Goku vs Jiren, but not as good as SSB Goku vs Jiren, and with far less weight and grandiosity supporting it.

Things I liked (that some other people don't seem to understand):

Jiren foddering Hit. Hit is no match in even the slightest way. While this tournament certainly emphasizes technique and power together versus just power, if the power gap between two fighters is overwhelmingly large, power should take over.

Hit not knocking Jiren off when he "had the chance." I doubt Hit even believed he could do it. In fact, I know he knew he couldn't, because he directly states, once he's been eliminated, that as soon as his single shot didn't work, he knew it was over. It was better just to try to hold him in place and not waste focus and energy on the offensive. And people are seriously complaining that the Saiyans didn't rush Jiren when he was frozen? That seems like the exact opposite of a good idea for U6 given the bind it was in and the low power levels their Saiyans have with respect to fighters like Goku and Hit. Why should they have the power to hit Jiren through that dimension? Made total sense to me. Did we not just see SSB KK20 kicking Jiren in the face and it basically bouncing off?

Jiren being cocky and going back into meditation. I have seen people ask why he doesn't just eliminate the tournament contestants all right away. Why would he do that? His bio mentions his pride, and, on top of that, it seems as if this whole thing disgusts him, and is not worth his time. Just let the other kiddies have their fun. After all, their universes ARE going to be erased at the end of it all. Let them play, step in if needed. Sure, he risks an unexpected development, but does he care? What, at this point, can stop him?

The time skip being versatile. People are complaining that it froze Jiren versus skipping time for the rest of the world. That seems to be missing the point. This is a new technique combined with the Time Skip. Hit was giving Jiren his role in the Time Skip as the one being located inside the pocket dimension. The difference is, he couldn't get out! Made 100% sense to me.

The animation and music stayed almost completely good.

A couple things I didn't like:

Hit being eliminated so early.

Other fodder that aren't Hit not being eliminated instead.

The lack of any real suspense, but I shift a large amount (but not all) of the blame to the spoilers for ruining the fight for me ahead of time. I seriously need to begin buckling down and avoiding them.

I don't generally mind most of the reused animation in this show like a lot of you do, but there were some absurdly blatant examples of it in this episode, which for some reason stuck out like a sore thumb. It was like Toei wanted to broadcast that they were reusing animation.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:I wonder why some call Jiren brute when he A) completely adpated to Hit's time-skip, B) saw through Hit's clone powers without seeing it befor and C) was smart enough to stop Hit's attack short befor trying to full break out of the time freeze.

Yeah all the hall marks of a brute with coasts on power and has no skill :roll:. Not saying anyone has to like Jiren or anything but lets not sell the guy short ether.
dbzfan7 wrote:
I'm not arguing logics. It's true raw power will be more important most of the time. But these are martial artist with supreme skill. It's just a shame in a martial arts tournament, skill doesn't matter all that much. It makes a difference for sure, but not nearly as much as it should.
I agree with you nor do I think your arguing agnest it. But as I've pointed out above, Jiren is pretty skilled himself and Hit's skill allowed him to out perform the more powerful SSBKKx20 Goku. But their battle of skill had reached is limite and Jiren had both the power and moves to counter Hit's last gabbit. Its the closest thing to a real fight as we are going to get.
Fair enough. I don't see though anything he did was any different from what Goku did to counter those moves.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Correction: the Roshi episode is the one exception.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 pm

-Hit's elimination was kind or underwhelming tbh. I expected him to get out in a more dramatic way but whatever.
-After all the time they've been hiding, the Namekians surprisingly made a very lame and weak first debut in action, With no interesting personality at all. At least that is my first impression of them. Even Piccolo didn't make any special reactions/comments, they're totally just any random enemies for him and that gives me fodder vibe. Hopefully, I'm wrong tho.

Overall that was a very mediocre episode after that amazing special,

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:11 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Miracles wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: You are factually wrong. Have you not seen the entire freakin' pre-tournament buildup.
See Frost vs Vegeta; Frost tricked Vegeta with the Mafuba.
See Hit tricking Dyspo off the ring.
Roshi vs the Hulk bird.
Strategy has shown to be advantageous over power in the tournament.
Last edited by Miracles on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:12 pm

Miracles wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Miracles wrote: They said not only power but tactics will play an important role.
See Frost vs Vegeta when he tricked him with the Mafuba.
Strategy has won over power in the tournament.
Neither of those were successful in eliminating them.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Miracles wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: And power has always prevailed. The "strategy" hype was bullshit.
See Frost vs Vegeta when he tricked him with the Mafuba.
Strategy has won over power in the tournament.
Neither of those were successful in eliminating them.
Only due to more strategy or teamwork saving the day.
Check Roshi vs the Hulk bird. Roshi won with tactic.
The point is, TOEI gave the audience a mixture of both brains and brawn.
Last edited by Miracles on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.