Super Episode 111 (15 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 111 (15 October 2017)

Post by SirTorra » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:18 pm

The universe 6 namekians are gonna be useless and weak. They'll likely get eliminated by gohan later on within the next two episodes. For me it seems supers writers are gonna make the 3 saiyans of u6 the focal point of their team. At this point i don't expect any character introduced during this tournament to be of significance.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Ribrianne, all is forgiven! For too long, this arc has had an issue with people not taking the stakes of universal destruction seriously enough. Now we have a character who had recently been nothing but a string of bad jokes and over-the-top ham actually expressing fear and doubts over her ability to protect her universe! And Rosie shows up and slaps her out of it because she's low-key the best Kamikaze Fireball. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty minor, but I appreciated it a lot.
Glad to see others are appreciating this moment for its importance as well, well said Kataphrut! :thumbup:

I like story and story elements used to further a characters story arc and this felt like the needed moment for Ribrianne cause it is right out of the Magical Girl/Sailor Moon/Anime Heroes journey in realizing the overwhelming foes they are up against and losing doubt, even the Vegeta fight added to this since it showed Ribrianne not her usually confident self. The slap was right out of when Sailor Mercury Slapped Sailor Moon when she was overcome with Grief in the 1st season of the Original Season back in the 90's Anime, so I appreciated this moment more for that. It shows a hero needs to get serious, find their true strength and know the seriousness of the situation at hand!

Both Characters went up majorly in my book for a good character moment like this, good story-wise by the writer, they paced and played that well indeed! :idea: :thumbup:
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 pm

So Hit is out, predictably getting his shit kicked in by the inferior character and also proving once again that the "tactics are more important than power" narrative they've been pushing is bullshit because every damn time the stronger guy wins.

Damn it Super, I want to fucking like you but your writing is shit and it's hard to even care anymore.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Maybe this is just an odd thing that no one else cares about but...I PRAY that weird green tint the Grand Priest added at the end isn't going to be around for very long. That is just distractingly ugly. It just makes everything slightly less appealing to look at. Don't do BRIGHT DIARRHEA GREEN as a permanent tint ffs.
Last edited by Artorias on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 pm

SirTorra wrote:The universe 6 namekians are gonna be useless and weak. They'll likely get eliminated by gohan later on within the next two episodes. For me it seems supers writers are gonna make the 3 saiyans of u6 the focal point of their team. At this point i don't expect any character introduced during this tournament to be of significance.
I have a feeling that they where created on the last minute. They kept them hidden earlier in the arc because Toriyama or Toyable didn't finish their designs yet.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 pm

MegaBossMan wrote:Bit of a shame that they had an opportunity to write Jiren out of the tournament for a while with the continual time-skip and give Hit's loss even more of a sacrificial connotation, but instead they had him meditate? It's the little detail of Supers I just find middling most of the time. Regardless, they didn't take out the cool Universe 3 guys or the Namekians too soon, I really didn't want the masked fellow lose so early especially since he still has the belt gimmick we haven't seen yet.
Seriously. It would have been a cool send off for Hit if he somehow got knocked out by Jiren, but still managed to trap him in his time thing for a certain amount of time as a parting gift. But nope, Jiren just grunts really loudly and boom, tactics are out the window. Whoever screams louder wins.

"This tournament is all about teamwork and strategy", right?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Hit did put up a very good fight so he has nothing to be ashamed of in my book and his new power was cool but alas Jiren was just that much stronger.

Also while it was predictable I did love the opening scene with Goku & Freeza. Probably my favorite scene in the episode.

The Namekians I am sorry to say didn't seem to be anything special. I think Gohan & Piccolo will be able to take them out easily if there are no interruptions.

And Ribirianne survives another episode. I know her fans will be happy. :)

All in all an okay episode not my favorite but it was enjoyable for what it was.

But I won't lie I am more looking forward (& also a bit nervous) for the next episode. Freeza is definitely attacking Cabba. I don't know how Vegeta will react to that. One for the team or one for the Saiyans? Either way it's not like it's a morally easy decision. Yes I get it's about saving your Universe. But this is Freeza attacking a Saiyan and one Vegeta has become fond of. And certainly Vegeta feels nothing positive towards Freeza. And unlike his old animosity towards Goku this is justified.

But then previews can be very misleading
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Good episode. Less faults than last week, but doesn't reach as high as last week. Hit continues to grow on me more and more, while Jiren remains as stale as several years old bread. Hit continues to shine using interesting techniques and strategy, while Jiren merely brute forces through everything like Goku had done. Hit has come closer to beating Jiren than Goku did, which really made his exit all the more memorable. My only issue is I thought we could at least have no nonsense Jiren to maybe have a shred of personality, but he then falls into the pit of not even bothering to try and finish what he started. Hopefully Toppo and Dyspo immediately go for Goku and not just let him stand around. Vegeta went Blue in the preview so hopefully he is fending those two off to show U11 isn't completely stupid.
ekrolo2 wrote:Two theings are reinforced once more: Time Skip does whatever they need it to and strategery & tactix matter over raw power until they magically don't, again.
As Zeno said "It's cool I'll allow it." It's damn cool so I don't care if it can practically do anything XP. It's evolving like Hit is.

Well Hit came closer to beating Jiren than Goku, despite being weaker. Even still just goes to show Raw Power triumphs 9.9/10 times :lol:.
Last time I check thats logical. Skill is great and all but there is a point were raw power will overcome it. A normal human, no matter how skilled, has any chance of beating a bear in hand to hand combat. Batman has only 3 fair wins on Superman in while Superman has 12. And Goku for all his skill could not beats Superman befor Super (and I ain't intreasted in debating how thing stand now). Goku could not beat Vegeta or Frieza during their original fights despite all his skill because there is a very real point were your opponent is just to strong, tough and fast for your to have any way of beating them becuase the power gap ecplises what ever advantage your skills give you.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm glad Goku Vs. Hit had a rematch in those peacetime episodes, because the writers knew they weren't going to have Goku fight Hit in the tournament.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
SirTorra wrote:The universe 6 namekians are gonna be useless and weak. They'll likely get eliminated by gohan later on within the next two episodes. For me it seems supers writers are gonna make the 3 saiyans of u6 the focal point of their team. At this point i don't expect any character introduced during this tournament to be of significance.
I have a feeling that they where created on the last minute. They kept them hidden earlier in the arc because Toriyama or Toyable didn't finish their designs yet.
It surely takes a while to copy and paste Piccolo and Slug.

I'm just interested in how many arms will be lost during their fight.
Last edited by Torturephile on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 pm

I know a lot of people don't share this opinion, but honestly I thought this episode was better than the special. The fighting choreography was better than the special I think, and seeing Hit do everything he could and actually managing to freeze Jiren in time was incredible. I just wish the episode didn't have me going "HAVE THE SAIYANS ATTACK THEM YOU DUMB ASSASSIN" when Hit told Cabba to make them fight the others. That and the fact Hit's KO was just a re-used scene of the attack on Kale left me somewhat disappointed.

Seriously, I'm not that big a Hit fan, but the time-skipping past each hit, him going "I have the timing of his counters" and then hitting him with the time-punch had me almost as hyped as Ultra Instinct. There was also that sense in the background of "I KNOW he can't beat him, but what is going to happen?" Whereas, the fight with Goku left me knowing that nothing is going to happen to Goku, and if anyone got knocked out it was going to be Jiren. The fact we had no idea how the fight me go in regards to well Hit could do made it more thrilling to me seeing him actually pause the titan that defeated Goku at his very best an episode ago. Honestly I'm a big fan of the manga. I prefer it over the anime in-fact. But while the special left me thinking "Toyotaro might be able to do this better," I can't see this fight being done anywhere near as well in comic form, even if Hit gets a power-up to push him more towards his anime incarnation.

The episode left me wondering if Hit could have beaten Jiren had he tried killing him, despite the possibility of disqualification. He was able to land a solid hit on his heart after all. Though I suppose disqualification might mean Hit or U6 erasure instead of just being left on the stands, and Zenos already gave U6 a warning.

That being said, I kinda fear the tournament going downhill from here. I also dislike how every episode, including the 1 hour special and the fight with Jiren, have had re-used animation from previous episodes or openings so far.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: That being said, I kinda fear the tournament going downhill from here. I also dislike how every episode, including the 1 hour special and the fight with Jiren, have had re-used animation from previous episodes or openings so far.
That's inevitable. I'd rather they re-use some animation then rush things and everything look like crap.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Artorias wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:Bit of a shame that they had an opportunity to write Jiren out of the tournament for a while with the continual time-skip and give Hit's loss even more of a sacrificial connotation, but instead they had him meditate? It's the little detail of Supers I just find middling most of the time. Regardless, they didn't take out the cool Universe 3 guys or the Namekians too soon, I really didn't want the masked fellow lose so early especially since he still has the belt gimmick we haven't seen yet.
Seriously. It would have been a cool send off for Hit if he somehow got knocked out by Jiren, but still managed to trap him in his time thing for a certain amount of time as a parting gift. But nope, Jiren just grunts really loudly and boom, tactics are out the window. Whoever screams louder wins.

"This tournament is all about teamwork and strategy", right?
some fights are, some fights are not.

Its much easier to just say he is simply stronger and faster than explain how he did it through teamwork and tactics.

Like i said they bit off more than they can chew with this.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

This isn't the first time Hit's time abilities have been overpowered by raw power. Remember when Goku whipped out SSB Kaioken x10 back in the Champa arc and he managed to move during Hit's Time Skip and land a punch? Jiren breaking through Hit's freezing ability through raw power is nothing we haven't seen before.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

A lot of people mentioning about the Saiyans knocking Jiren off the edge while he was froze but considering the last episode and Super Saiyan 2 Goku ever so slightly budging his neck then chances are they couldn't have knocked him off even if they tried.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Bullza wrote:A lot of people mentioning about the Saiyans knocking Jiren off the edge while he was froze but considering the last episode and Super Saiyan 2 Goku ever so slightly budging his neck then chances are they couldn't have knocked him off even if they tried.
He also had the barrier he used which blocked Hit's attack.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 pm

After watching the special, seeing the quality drop back down to normal is... :sick:

That fight really sucked.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Good episode. Less faults than last week, but doesn't reach as high as last week. Hit continues to grow on me more and more, while Jiren remains as stale as several years old bread. Hit continues to shine using interesting techniques and strategy, while Jiren merely brute forces through everything like Goku had done. Hit has come closer to beating Jiren than Goku did, which really made his exit all the more memorable. My only issue is I thought we could at least have no nonsense Jiren to maybe have a shred of personality, but he then falls into the pit of not even bothering to try and finish what he started. Hopefully Toppo and Dyspo immediately go for Goku and not just let him stand around. Vegeta went Blue in the preview so hopefully he is fending those two off to show U11 isn't completely stupid.
ekrolo2 wrote:Two theings are reinforced once more: Time Skip does whatever they need it to and strategery & tactix matter over raw power until they magically don't, again.
As Zeno said "It's cool I'll allow it." It's damn cool so I don't care if it can practically do anything XP. It's evolving like Hit is.

Well Hit came closer to beating Jiren than Goku, despite being weaker. Even still just goes to show Raw Power triumphs 9.9/10 times :lol:.
Last time I check thats logical. Skill is great and all but there is a point were raw power will overcome it. A normal human, no matter how skilled, has any chance of beating a bear in hand to hand combat. Batman has only 3 fair wins on Superman in while Superman has 12. And Goku for all his skill could not beats Superman befor Super (and I ain't intreasted in debating how thing stand now). Goku could not beat Vegeta or Frieza during their original fights despite all his skill because there is a very real point were your opponent is just to strong, tough and fast for your to have any way of beating them becuase the power gap ecplises what ever advantage your skills give you.
I'm not arguing logics. It's true raw power will be more important most of the time. But these are martial artist with supreme skill. It's just a shame in a martial arts tournament, skill doesn't matter all that much. It makes a difference for sure, but not nearly as much as it should.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Cool episode. Vegeta or Freeza should have used the opportunity when Jiren was still frozen and toppled him from the arena.

It would be cool to see a tag team of Hit and Goku (or maybe Freeza would be even more interesting) against Jiren, but I guess they would win, and Jiren won't be defeated so soon.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm

I wonder why some call Jiren brute when he A) completely adpated to Hit's time-skip, B) saw through Hit's clone powers without seeing it befor and C) was smart enough to stop Hit's attack short befor trying to full break out of the time freeze.

Yeah all the hall marks of a brute with coasts on power and has no skill :roll:. Not saying anyone has to like Jiren or anything but lets not sell the guy short ether.
dbzfan7 wrote:
I'm not arguing logics. It's true raw power will be more important most of the time. But these are martial artist with supreme skill. It's just a shame in a martial arts tournament, skill doesn't matter all that much. It makes a difference for sure, but not nearly as much as it should.
I agree with you nor do I think your arguing agnest it. But as I've pointed out above, Jiren is pretty skilled himself and Hit's skill allowed him to out perform the more powerful SSBKKx20 Goku. But their battle of skill had reached is limite and Jiren had both the power and moves to counter Hit's last gabbit. Its the closest thing to a real fight as we are going to get.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.