Super Episode 113 (29 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 113 (29 October 2017)

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 am

Eh, I was kind of bored. Fight choreography was really lackluster, and Goku saying Caulifla might even go beyond SSJ3... Oh man, people are going to be pissed.

I hope they explain how Caulifla keeps getting stronger and has the "potential" in her to keep transforming, magically keep up with Goku, etc.

And wait a sec, did Kale and Caulifla fuse, or is Kale just rocking a new haircut?

EDIT: Oh shit I didn't even notice the Potara earrings, holy shit didn't expect that, I guess they'll remain fused for the rest of the tournament, and there goes Champa's plan to have more fighters than U11 at the end :lol: .

But I guess this now leaves the possibility open for Vegito, although I don't see how or where they'd fit that in there

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:58 am

Lifelong Vegeta fan here...I give up, I love Goku.

Username2016

Post by Username2016 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 am

The SSJ3 shots were awesome but Toei did kinda troll us by teasing an SSJ3 Goku vs Kale and Caulifla which never happened. But Toei is still consistent with the stamina drain rule for SSJ3 which is good

Kale and Caulifla fuse by the portra earrings in the next episode which is great. But HOW did they get the Potra earrings in the first is what I'm curious about. Guess we'll have to find out in the next episode of DRAGONBALL Z- I MEAN SUPER.

Caulifla is shitting out bursts of power just by landing a few little ass blows on Goku. Well done Toei.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:03 am

Drellz26 wrote:Lifelong Vegeta fan here...I give up, I love Goku.
You have betrayed us you fool. Go away.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:03 am

So,caulifla and kale can grow stronger during battle,fire generic ki blasts,get golden hair(occasionally spikier and longer).
Caulifla has goku's fighting ability and vegeta's arrogance.Kale has kid gohan's personality and broly's transformation.Now,obviously none of this is 100% true but similarities are uncanny.Makes me wonder why they are getting so much focus.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:13 am

Username2016 wrote:The SSJ3 shots were awesome but Toei did kinda troll us by teasing an SSJ3 Goku vs Kale and Caulifla which never happened. But Toei is still consistent with the stamina drain rule for SSJ3 which is good

Kale and Caulifla fuse by the portra earrings in the next episode which is great. But HOW did they get the Potra earrings in the first is what I'm curious about. Guess we'll have to find out in the next episode of DRAGONBALL Z- I MEAN SUPER.

Caulifla is shitting out bursts of power just by landing a few little ass blows on Goku. Well done Toei.
We will probably get SS3 Goku VS SS3 Kafla tho.
Also, they got it from their kaioshin

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 am

Didn’t like this one, but didn’t absolutely hate it. Nothing happened except more Mary Sue action. No real choreography except some reused stuff. The tag team with Kale was nice. The best part was that Goku seemed to be getting stronger as he fought and that his base was stronger than Caulifla’s SS2 for awhile.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 am

Awesome episode. Nothing wrong with it except that one scene with Krillin acting amazed by two ssj2's fighting as if he's never seen anything grander than that lol
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:20 am

It's episodes like this that just put a damper on any positive coming out of Super. You want them to get it right but they give us this...

Caulifa..I get why. But we don't need that shit right now. You make a tournament where skill matters and then you resort to this? Talk about transformation over load.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:20 am

And for the love of god, stop using words that you don't know the meaning of. At this point, Mary Sue has lost all meaning in here. These characters aren't Mary Sues. It's done.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:32 am

Nero<>Akira wrote:And for the love of god, stop using words that you don't know the meaning of. At this point, Mary Sue has lost all meaning in here. These characters aren't Mary Sues. It's done.
It seems nowadays people think everyone is either a Mary Sue or a jobber, like there's no inbetween.

You lose you're a jobber, you do well at fighting and improve you're a Mary sue. You just can't win.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:36 am

Gary Stus & Mary Sues are literally perfect individuals. Caulifla and Kale are not. At all.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 am

Nero<>Akira wrote:Gary Stus & Mary Sues are literally perfect individuals. Caulifla and Kale are not. At all.
I definitely feel like that aspect of them has been coming through a lot more, espicially in this episode why Caulifla could barely hold her own against base Goku because she has no idea how to fight.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 am

Watched the episode again, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting tired of the arc. I've got tournament fatigue. All this fighting is leaving me bored, and nothing new happened in this episode. Nobody got a power-up, nobody got eliminated, no new characters were introduced, and nobody was really challenged in any interesting way. Caulifla isn't trying to knock Goku out, I understand her motivations, she feels like if U6 is going to stand a chance that she needs to get stronger and that Goku is her only chance of gaining more power at this point in the tournament. But this episode was just filler. One long brawl that didn't amount to anything. I have other issues with it like Goku's stamina, power scaling being all. over. the place, etc, but the main problem for me is, this arc is dragging along as it is and one whole episode of fighting in which there aren't any stakes and no actual results is more of what this arc doesn't need.

It wasn't the arc's weakest episode, not by a long shot. In fact, had these characters not had a nearly identical fight during the tournament already, I might have thought it was a pretty great episode, but as it stands, this episode (and probably half or more of the next one) just come across as filler to pad out an arc that by all rights should be barreling full speed to the end at this point. Maybe they shot themselves in the foot by deciding Goku would need time to recover after his fight with Jiren... if the rest of the tournament crawls along to give Goku time to get back to full power (and maybe then some), then I'd say that was a mistake. But we shall see!
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 am

julianix wrote:It's episodes like this that just put a damper on any positive coming out of Super. You want them to get it right but they give us this...

Caulifa..I get why. But we don't need that shit right now. You make a tournament where skill matters and then you resort to this? Talk about transformation over load.
He hasnt. In terms of sensing energy. He cant sense God Ki so no Blue Goku/Vegeta vs Golden Freeza. SSj3 Goku didnt go all out against Majin Buu and Vice Versa. Also he didnt See Goku vs Majin Vegeta. This is the first time.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:49 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Nero<>Akira wrote:Gary Stus & Mary Sues are literally perfect individuals. Caulifla and Kale are not. At all.
I definitely feel like that aspect of them has been coming through a lot more, espicially in this episode why Caulifla could barely hold her own against base Goku because she has no idea how to fight.
I liked that added detail in the episode.
Technically she should be stronger than Goku due to how beat up and fatigued he is after the Jiren fight, but it matters little due to Goku being a far superior fighter, and Caulifla is basically a novice fighter when compared to Goku. Also sorta explains why Krillin using pure skill and technique was able to get Goku off balance, while Caulifla couldn't. As well as Roshi doing it to Ganos.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:01 am

That was actually a great fight. If at any point the show decides to convince me that Kale and Caulifla are at all good or worthwhile characters, then I might look back on this episode fondly. Unfortunately though, as of right now I don't think they're good characters at all and I hate how they just decide they want a form and then almost immediately get it. It makes them just seem like bratty children begging for new toys. I also hate how the characters who were previously established in an arc that basically only existed to introduce characters, Cabba, Hit, and Frost, got very little spotlight in this tournament in favor of giving it to these brats.

Overall, good fight, good animation, good choreography, but the only problem is that it was all for these two garbage characters.

SSKC

Post by SSKC » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:03 am

Very disappointed they didn't flash over to the Vegeta and Gohan fights, and it looks like next week is going to me more of the same.

One of my least favourite episodes of the tournament for sure. Other than showing those 2 random fighters, the whole stage felt empty. There was no actual tournament progress shown. Lacklustre.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:04 am

That's not exactly true. They can have flaws, but rather than being treated as actual flaws, they are treated as "cute quirks' or whatever. This is certainly the case with Kale and Caulifla.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 am

precita wrote:
Nero<>Akira wrote:And for the love of god, stop using words that you don't know the meaning of. At this point, Mary Sue has lost all meaning in here. These characters aren't Mary Sues. It's done.
It seems nowadays people think everyone is either a Mary Sue or a jobber, like there's no inbetween.

You lose you're a jobber, you do well at fighting and improve you're a Mary sue. You just can't win.
Being a 'Jobber' is more than simply being weak and/or losing. For instance, Vegeta is a total jobber throughout the series. The forgettable mooks in the tournament can't be considered jobbers though because you have to have been relevant to begin with in order to job.
Being a Mary Sue? Well it's not a term I use that often honestly, but I 100% consider Kale and Caulifla Mary Sues. Whatever form they want they get almost immediately. Their flaws are all treated as "cute little quirks" and they are shoved down our throats like self-inserts.