Super Episode 113 (29 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Episode 113 (29 October 2017)

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Loved seeing the Saiyan ladies in action! The teamwork against Goku was awesome, and the fighting was really awesome.

My one beef with this episode was definitely the banter between Champa and Beerus. It normally doesn't bother me when they cut to the GoDs talking, but this week it really grinded my gears. Keep the fight going!

And we also got our first look at Kafla! And was that a Potara I spotted on her ear!?!? How on Earth are they gonna explain THAT!?!?

I'm excited for this development

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:13 pm

So Potara seems to be used from the NEP... wonder how that's gonna boil over...

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Kefla is too cute
I guess Potara is allowed
Looks like that guy was right. The "Kale" in the intro is actually Kefla!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 pm

So is anyone going to tackle how base Goku was fighting on par with a Super Saiyan 2 and even getting some hits in?

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:16 pm

precita wrote:So is anyone going to tackle how base Goku was fighting on par with a Super Saiyan 2 and even getting some hits in?
They explained it in the episode

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:17 pm

precita wrote:So is anyone going to tackle how base Goku was fighting on par with a Super Saiyan 2 and even getting some hits in?
They said it themselves. There's such a massive skill gap between Goku and Caulifla that Base Goku was able to clown her for a bit because of it.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:19 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
They said it themselves. There's such a massive skill gap between Goku and Caulifla that Base Goku was able to clown her for a bit because of it.
Yeah, pretty much the same reason Roshi was able to hold his own for a bit.
Feels over Reals.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Gotta say, it was weird seeing og ss forms being treated with respect and as if they're incredibly powerful.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm

They did a bit more to distinguish Caulifla as a fighter this episode. The idea is that she's more of a brawler, hence why she has a lot of power but struggled against a trained martial artist like Goku. Also she got a named attack! Yay, she can be in FighterZ now.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:22 pm

kinisking wrote:Gotta say, it was weird seeing og ss forms being treated with respect and as if they're incredibly powerful.
That's generally the problem with Super Saiyan Blue. When Goku is either fighting as Blue or Super Saiyan...the fights look exactly the same even though there's supposed to be a huge power difference.

At least they maintain the fact that SSJ3 can't be used without stamina.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Kataphrut wrote:They did a bit more to distinguish Caulifla as a fighter this episode. The idea is that she's more of a brawler, hence why she has a lot of power but struggled against a trained martial artist like Goku. Also she got a named attack! Yay, she can be in FighterZ now.
I noticed that. It's like the marketing department screamed at Caulifla to make sure she calls out an attack name.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Goku's gonna beat Kalifla via the fusion running out isn't he? They're not gonna know about SS3's downside and somehow Goku will keep up with them until they defuse

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:27 pm

precita wrote:
kinisking wrote:Gotta say, it was weird seeing og ss forms being treated with respect and as if they're incredibly powerful.
That's generally the problem with Super Saiyan Blue. When Goku is either fighting as Blue or Super Saiyan...the fights look exactly the same even though there's supposed to be a huge power difference.

At least they maintain the fact that SSJ3 can't be used without stamina.
In-universe, SS3 isn't used much because it drains too much stamina. Kefla could possibly achieve SS3 ala Gotenks, and then discover this weakness and fail to maintain the power for long. Goku will likely take advantage of this.

Out-of-universe, I read rumors that Toei just doesn't like drawing and animating the form for too long apparently. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Goku's gonna beat Kalifla via the fusion running out isn't he? They're not gonna know about SS3's downside and somehow Goku will keep up with them until they defuse
I think that'd be pretty cool if executed right. He beats them via their full power being their greatest weakness.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Weakest episode in a long time. I'll rewatch it and give it another chance, not expecting to change my opinion much.

The premise of the episode was fine: train the girls, make a connection that Goku is enjoying it and using it for his Ultra Instinct. They've gone a botch it.

I know they "justified" Goku being in base and giving a beating to Caulifla. That doesn't fly with me, you can't just ignore well established rules to this degree. Why couldn't Goku be SSJ? It literally is the same thing as base in terms of fatigue and that way I could actually believe the "justification" even if SSJ2 is better, Goku as a SSJ wouldn't be ridiculous below her making the plot point acceptable.

I'm not asking much here, I'm not being unreasonable, the writers have the tools to do this work much better. The tools being the original manga it's all right there.

The animation was pretty bad in places, there was a bunch of re-used shots and the constant commentary in the stands only served to mess up the little rhythm the fight had going.

Worst episode since the Tenshinhan one. At least I'm hyped about the fusion, it's nothing new but I'm curious how she will turn out.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Things I Liked:

-Kale and Caulifla's teamwork was pretty cool.
-Goku was, in a bizarre twist of expectations, actually kind of interesting this episode.
-Umm... some of the action was good.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-Base Goku knocking around a SSJ(2?) Caulifla was silly, but they at least gave some sort of reason why, even if it doesn't entirely line up with previous source material (aka DBZ).
-SSJ3 showed up this episode, which was cool, but it sort of makes Goku skipping it during the special a little bizarre.
-Characterization for Kale and Caulifla this episode was better than previous ones, but it still wasn't enough to make me like either of them.
-The idea of Goku and Caulifla's fight knocking away weaker characters is interesting, but it also raises questions. Like, why didn't Goku being SSB with a Kaioken x20 clashing with Jiren cause a massive amount of tertiary damage if two SSJ2's sparring was able to do that much?

Things I Disliked:

-I'm curious as to who animated this episode because NOTHING about it worked for me. Pretty much every character looked "off" in one way or another and a lot of the animation was very obviously rushed/simplistic. This episode was not very appealing to watch, in my opinion.
-Way too much sideline commentary. It was very obvious padding.
-I guess Caulifla is like Broly now? In other words, she somehow continues to grow more powerful the more she fights? What? This makes zero sense. Does not compute! :wtf:
-Some of the dialogue was just ridiculous this episode. Caulifla claiming that she and Kale are going to attain SSJ3 simply by beating up Goku is laughable. In another setting, this might work, but keep in mind this is in the middle of a tournament. If Goku can somehow teach SSJ3 in the span of a couple of minutes, it will raise serious questions as to why he hasn't shown this to anyone else (like, say, Vegeta).

All in all, I really did not care for this episode. "Filler" is probably the best way to describe it. The animation was far below par, there was an abnormal amount of padding and certain elements were just silly. There were a few interesting concepts this episode, like Kale and Caulifla teaming up, but it didn't do enough to make this episode enjoyable to me. I just did not like this episode. I think it easily ranks among my least favorite episodes of this tournament. Better luck next time, I guess.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:46 pm

What made this ep a bit underwhelming is not a single character was knocked out. You're saying not even 1 of those robots could have fell of the stage? Whaat?

There's still too many obvious jobbers or filler characters in the tournament. When are they going to clean house?

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 pm

That was... that was something, I guess. I might have to watch it again to really process what just happened. Despite repeatedly coming to Caulifla and Kale's defense, at least my initial opinion of this episode is that rehashing their first fight with Goku with a side of "oh, wow, you've gotten stronger," just did not feel engaging or worth the screentime. To me. We've already seen this fight. It did nothing to further the story, it did nothing to advance the tournament, hell, 15 minutes of fighting with breaks for talking only took one actual minute off the clock. Kale has developed since the first fight at least, which is nice, although she got almost no time in the episode, and all Caulifla did was spout off the same "show me how to be stronger" lines she did in their first fight.

*Sigh*

I'm gonna have to watch it again.

The potara earrings are... hoo boy. And SSB Goku did nothing to Kale in their last fight, but now he's going to put up a resistance against her as a tired, beat-up SSJ2? I'm sure Caulifla will be nice and sit their rematch out, but even still... obvious filler is obvious. Once we get to the fusion at the end of the episode, then things will be getting interesting, but hopefully it's written really well, because potara fusion seems like a DUMB idea, especially for the Tourament of Power.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 pm

LightBing wrote:Weakest episode in a long time. I'll rewatch it and give it another chance, not expecting to change my opinion much.

The premise of the episode was fine: train the girls, make a connection that Goku is enjoying it and using it for his Ultra Instinct. They've gone a botch it.

I know they "justified" Goku being in base and giving a beating to Caulifla. That doesn't fly with me, you can't just ignore well established rules to this degree. Why couldn't Goku be SSJ? It literally is the same thing as base in terms of fatigue and that way I could actually believe the "justification" even if SSJ2 is better, Goku as a SSJ wouldn't be ridiculous below her making the plot point acceptable.

I'm not asking much here, I'm not being unreasonable, the writers have the tools to do this work much better. The tools being the original manga it's all right there.

The animation was pretty bad in places, there was a bunch of re-used shots and the constant commentary in the stands only served to mess up the little rhythm the fight had going.

Worst episode since the Tenshinhan one. At least I'm hyped about the fusion, it's nothing new but I'm curious how she will turn out.
It is what it is. You either accept it or don't. Thats really all there is here.

I knew this episode wouldn't 'be well liked but i enjoyed because I thought it be much worse

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Episode was fine, showed how a martial artist fares against a brute, tho Goku's base doing good against a SSJ2 and then that said SSj2 soon adapting fast enough to give him a run for his money even in SSJ2 that quick was iffy... at least after image makes a return, I missed that move! and we saw Goku in the prev shoot a ki blast from his feet! come on Goku show us more tricks, this is getting fun! and I love how the 2v1 stuff happened, we needed more of that than the simple 1v1 fights we get.
Kale's participation was fine but her fangirling over Cauli still creeps me out.
As for Cauli sue.. yeah, she is borderline sue! who wouldnt want to be like her? speeds through SSJ forms with a tingly sensation, a genius as they say, has a fangirl fawning over her all the time,adapts through the fights faster than Hit (debatable just so people dont nitpick every small detail), doesnt get any consequences for her constant arrogant attitude and looks good through 99% of her screentime, if that aint a self insert dream character then I dont know what is, the reason I say borderline is mainly because of her personality, I'm pretty sure some people wouldnt want to come out as a spoiled arrogant thug, but other than that, her evolution screams sue, for some reason Cauli reminds me a lot of Kid Trunks, heh, probably why I hate her guts.

Anyhow the fight looked good, and I'm excited for Kafla V Goku, tho we can tell that shot of Kafla will most likely be the end part of the episode so we gotta wait for another one before the fight.
Also, 17 and 18, where the hell are these guys? I miss them in action, and I want more Freeza.