Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Post by Asura » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:The episode was a slog, in my opinion, like most of the ToP- in this case, a pointless repeat of the previous episode- and further cements my disdain for Caulifla. I am so tired of her crap, and I can't wait until she's in the stands.

Beautiful visuals, though.
More like the previous episode was a pointless slog. 113 was the problem here, not 114.

I found nothing wrong with this episode content-wise. The whole episode was non-stop fighting which is nice, and the fighting itself was storyboarded and choreographed beautifully, making this one of the premiere fights of the tournament IMO and one of the best examples of teamwork in the tournament. There wasn't any pointless and boring looking visuals of two people firing ki blasts non-stop at each other or just having them punch each other back and forth like episode 100's Goku vs Caulifla fight.

All I can say is if you find an episode dedicated to really good fighting to be a "pointless slog", then this arc is probably not for you, given it's a tournament and all, where people are non-stop fighting.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Asura wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:The episode was a slog, in my opinion, like most of the ToP- in this case, a pointless repeat of the previous episode- and further cements my disdain for Caulifla. I am so tired of her crap, and I can't wait until she's in the stands.

Beautiful visuals, though.
More like the previous episode was a pointless slog. 113 was the problem here, not 114.

I found nothing wrong with this episode content-wise. The whole episode was non-stop fighting which is nice, and the fighting itself was storyboarded and choreographed beautifully, making this one of the premiere fights of the tournament IMO and one of the best examples of teamwork in the tournament. There wasn't any pointless and boring looking visuals of two people firing ki blasts non-stop at each other or just having them punch each other back and forth like episode 100's Goku vs Caulifla fight.

All I can say is if you find an episode dedicated to really good fighting to be a "pointless slog", then this arc is probably not for you, given it's a tournament and all, where people are non-stop fighting.
The fight was visually nice and the choreography was good too. I thought Hit vs Jiren was the best fight so far all things considered....but this one is up there too in terms of regular episode fights.

I will say anything with Goku minus Jiren seems to lack tension though.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Screw everything, Katopesla's/Freeza's scene is the best thing of this episode. I can't stop rewatching that!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Big Chief
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Chief » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Katopesla is probably the best minor character in this tournament.
Some know me as GigglesMcFiggles.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Good animation.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Asura wrote:All I can say is if you find an episode dedicated to really good fighting to be a "pointless slog", then this arc is probably not for you, given it's a tournament and all, where people are non-stop fighting.
Nothing related to your post, but nice avatar mate. It's a good GIF of Caulifla movements that was decent animated in the actual episode, great choice.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Screw everything, Katopesla's/Freeza's scene is the best thing of this episode. I can't stop rewatching that!
Big Chief wrote:Katopesla is probably the best minor character in this tournament.
These guy speak the truth,katopesla was the best thing in this ep.
Mostly active on discord.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Pleasantly surprised by the turnaround, here. Their potara workaround with the flashback and the girls having them before the tournament started is preeeeeeety convenient, but I suppose it works, and literally everything about this episode was better than the last one. I said before that 113 could have been 90% cut and the remaining 10% folded into this episode, and that does not seem to be wrong. I do see that some of 113 needed to happen to establish Kale and Caulifla's camaraderie in 114, but it wasn't worth it. While 113 was 90% filler, this episode was pure meat and potatoes. The content moved the plot along, pushed characters to new limits, raised the stakes for everyone, and, yes, the art. The art was GOOD.

One of the best episodes of the tournament, by a longshot. I literally cannot comprehend how people think that anything about 113 was better in any way than 114. Not that either were TERRIBLE episodes like so many Kale/Caulifla haters like to make them out to be, but 113 was filler. It was well-animated filler, and none of it was insultingly poorly paced, written, or drawn, but 90% of the episode could have not existed and viewers wouldn't have felt like they missed anything. That's a bad episode, in my opinion, but far from the worst in Super and far from the worst of the arc (oh god this arc has had some bad episodes). This episode on the other hand took everything that 113 could have done, added new plot points even, and executed every second 300% better than anything that happened in 113. While not the best episode of the arc, that's certainly one way to take a bad episode and make it good.
Last edited by Ziegander on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Big Chief wrote:Katopesla is probably the best minor character in this tournament.
I'm interested as to why.
Feels over Reals.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Noah wrote:
Asura wrote:All I can say is if you find an episode dedicated to really good fighting to be a "pointless slog", then this arc is probably not for you, given it's a tournament and all, where people are non-stop fighting.
Nothing related to your post, but nice avatar mate. It's a good GIF of Caulifla movements that was decent animated in the actual episode, great choice.
I agree. It's always nice to see flowing hair.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Big Chief
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Chief » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 pm

RedHeat wrote:
I'm interested as to why.
Because of this: https://imgur.com/YrZ2IZv
Some know me as GigglesMcFiggles.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 am

The second best bit:

"Well, he ain`t here so I`ll just pew pew"
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:07 am

SS Kefla looks like everything I wanted a female SS to look like. I'm glad she has muscle, too.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:36 am

Torturephile wrote:
Noah wrote:
I agree. It's always nice to see flowing hair.
Always nice to see hair that doesn't look like stiff legos. :D

I can't even remember the last time we saw good hair physics in Super before this episode, lol.

It makes me sad that Super will literally never look this good again unless Takahashi comes back for another episode.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:31 am

Really hoping Figther Z doesn`t waste more slots because of hair color but boy, does "God" hair Goku looks way cooler than Blue.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:33 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:SS Kefla looks like everything I wanted a female SS to look like. I'm glad she has muscle, too.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
True, she looks amazing with that tan+muscles and greenish hair! its perfect! but really not a fan of those spandex.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 am

Olympian wrote:The second best bit:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It was cool, but his face looks weird :?
Asura wrote:I can't even remember the last time we saw good hair physics in Super before this episode, lol.
Exactly! I remember people complaining about scenes with Goky flying and his hair remained static, when it should be more like this:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:17 pm

What is with the praise of Ketopasta or whatever his name is? He's literally a rehash of a Pride Trooper. People like him but are annoyed with Ribrianne and Caulifla?

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Asura wrote:
Always nice to see hair that doesn't look like stiff legos. :D

I can't even remember the last time we saw good hair physics in Super before this episode, lol.

It makes me sad that Super will literally never look this good again unless Takahashi comes back for another episode.
Link to your avatar gif? I wants it!

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Arguing about consistency when it comes to established plot points isn't arguing about powerlevels.
A good portion of the last few pages certainly suggest otherwise.

It might be that seeing it makes this stuff jump out at me more, and it's just my perception playing tricks on me, but my point still stands that it seems to be much more prevalent than it ought to be in this specific thread.
When the entire explanation for SSG's usage in-universe is that its effect is stronger than the Potara, a blatant contradiction is obviously going to have people raise their eyebrows. You don't ignore inconsistent plot points, you call it out.

I don't understand why the fact that it's somewhat related to power level discussions suddenly makes people angry.
Because people just don't want Dragon Ball Super criticized because it's something they enjoy. That's really all it comes down to. "I like this, please don't criticize it".