Super Episode 115 (12 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Episode 115 (12 November 2017)

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:29 am

Vegeta is definitely hiding something.Since when did namekians have paper arms?Sorry toei,green is not a substitute for red.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 am

I would like to draw some attention to the way universe 3 and 4 dismissed the idea of Potara fusions (and that they were the only ones to do so immediately). To quote the dialogue:

"We do not need the Potara. We hardly need to explain why."
"Quitela sama, of course we don't either..."

Notably, they did not say we do not need fusion, but we do not need Potara (assuming the sub is accurate here). This could be a hint to the idea that both universes have fusion techniques that do not rely on Potara, i.e. the hypothesized "Megazord" robot fusion and the speculated bug fusion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:40 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Since when did namekians have paper arms?
It seems like all you have to do is touch them and they come off.

I've seen action figures that can take more than them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 am

SansrivaaL wrote:I hate this episode so damn much! who wrote this?
Besides UI Goku saving this episode, everything was a damn bore.
Yet another "its cool so its allowed!" makes me wonder why they established a rule in the first place if its as fickle as that.
I had hopes for this fusion BS to at the very least make "Kefla" bearable but nope, she just became more obnoxious than she ever was as Cauli, Jesus damn christ someone delete this character.
The most unforgivable act they did was they used "Ultimate Battle" OST (the one they used on Goku V Jiren) on their fight when it was a mediocre battle at best, a few multiple ki shots here and there and they go to "HOW FAR WILL THEY GO!?" "Do they plan to destroy the arena?!" that was awful as hell.
While I want seeing other fighters fighting, this was handled bad, even the Vegeta one. I felt more hype with the namekians V Gohan,Piccolo and 17 knocking the police guy than the actual Goku fight that was supposed to be the highlight of this.
The animation and art were horrible as well! nothing noteworthy nor memorable, but I blame Takahashi for that.
Thats it for my rant. This is probably the most horrible ep ToP has ever produced.
I wouldn't say its the worst episode of the TOP, I also think that your blame towards the writer is a little mis-directed since the writer doesn't oversee how the final episode turns out. Thats the job of the storyboard artist and the director and thats who I think are responsible for how the episode turned out.

Pretty much all the problems with the episode can be placed on its direction and storyboarding, which are some of the most lacklustre this tournament has had. The content for the most part was fine, it was just poorly put together.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:35 am

Sloppy direction, sloppy soundtrack (great songs, though!). Sloppy art, decent animation, not enough choreography (as usual).

That said, it was an average episode. Certainly not below average, and I was entertained for sure!

Need more Toppo vs Vegeta, though Toppo isn't looking too hot now. More U6 Namekians too.

I liked the scene justifying different universes' thoughts on the Potara, and 17 saving 18 was awesome. UI was incredibly hype.

Can we please be done with Kafla now? She's not a bad character by any means, but she's also not particularly interesting, and I'm starting to really crave a tournament without all these ridiculous power-ups from out of thin air.

Who wrote this episode?

Next week is what I've been waiting for some time now. Bring it on!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:40 am

The problem with this episode really boils down to the fact that it needed to be much greater than average, given this is the reappearance of Ultra Instinct. It loses its wow factor when everything leading up to it is just incredibly meh, and the way in which he was knocked in to Ultra Instinct seems rushed and undeserved. Caught off his guard with one shot, how boring.

Kefla really isn't too great of a character. Caulifla is nowhere near as bad as this, and there is absolutely zero hint of Kale in there. Not a huge fan of Kefla's design either.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:45 am

avasatu wrote:Sloppy direction, sloppy soundtrack (great songs, though!). Sloppy art, decent animation, not enough choreography (as usual).

That said, it was an average episode. Certainly not below average, and I was entertained for sure!

Need more Toppo vs Vegeta, though Toppo isn't looking too hot now. More U6 Namekians too.

I liked the scene justifying different universes' thoughts on the Potara, and 17 saving 18 was awesome. UI was incredibly hype.

Can we please be done with Kafla now? She's not a bad character by any means, but she's also not particularly interesting, and I'm starting to really crave a tournament without all these ridiculous power-ups from out of thin air.

Who wrote this episode?

Next week is what I've been waiting for some time now. Bring it on!
Toshio wrote this episode, though I hardly think blaming him for its execution is fair.

Script writers like Toshio are given key points from higher ups which are fleshed out from Toriyama's outlines. Script writers then expand those outlines across a 20 minute episode. However, the execution of this outline is down to the director and storyboard artist, whose job is to transfer the script into a visual medium. While doing this they can also choose to change and exclude certain scenes from the script.

Toshio's scripts are usually pretty solid and he has been the scenario writer for some of the best episodes of this arc. Episodes 104, 107 and 112 come to mind. However, all those episodes had something in common that made them good. Solid direction and interesting plot points to expand off. Though you can definitely see some interesting stuff coming through at points, they end up never being realized due to the extremely sloppy direction and the mediocre storyboarding found in the episode. The director of the episode didn't understand how to properly adapt the script, thats why you have scenes like Beerus talking about Goku in first person aloud in a scene that is clearly supposed to be an inner monologue.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:46 am

I wasn't blaming the writer. Was just curious who wrote it. Who story-boarded it and directed it are to blame. The writing was actually quite good.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:05 am

JazzMazz wrote:thats why you have scenes like Beerus talking about Goku in first person aloud in a scene that is clearly supposed to be an inner monologue.
Yes! I thought it was really strange and awkward for Beerus to be talking about Goku like that instead of monologueing it.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:54 am

Probably the worst art, animation and script the show has had in awhile.

The characters spent more time stating how "amazing" everything was instead of showing anything amazing. One major flaw to DBS is the writers inability to actually be creative with attacks. Compare a character I hate to Kefla; Gotenks. I strongly dislike Gotenks, but that fusion brought on a number of cool new moves from donuts to ghosts. Fefla? Some weird orb blast that looks weak and similar to Kale's ki blasts. Nothing new, fresh, or creative.

The animation was awkward and some movements made zero sense. Constant reuse of animation cuts were the worst.

The art was nowhere near the series worst, those days may be gone. However, it was a noticeable downgrade to the average we've had (NOT comparing it to last weeks best art ever episode).

Though, despite saying all that; I am not shocked or completely disappointed. A cheap and budget episode was unavoidable after the above decent to great art & animation we've had for awhile now. The disappointment I do have for this episode was that they chose to use Fefla's debut fight as the throw away, when a less important episode like No. 17 vs that cop could have been used instead.

Next week doesn't look like much of an improvement, and Kelfa ki attacks continue to be completely uninspired. Hopefully there is more impressive scenes to what the preview shown.

That Namek having an extra glove to put on his new hand was pretty funny though. Will say that.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:56 am

Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:thats why you have scenes like Beerus talking about Goku in first person aloud in a scene that is clearly supposed to be an inner monologue.
Yes! I thought it was really strange and awkward for Beerus to be talking about Goku like that instead of monologueing it.
I have no formed opinion on how the script was adapted overall, but as for this in particular, It didn't strike me as out of place in the slightest. It's something I've seen many times, especially when one person is watching another compete at something. It's usually out of nervousness or bewilderment.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:27 am

Kefla really isn't too great of a character. Caulifla is nowhere near as bad as this, and there is absolutely zero hint of Kale in there. Not a huge fan of Kefla's design either.
I think the same way. I'm really not a fan of Kefla's design nor her personality. She looks better in Super Saiyan though.

Anyway this episode was ok, not too bad, not too good.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 am

We need a full version of that Ultra Instict VS Jiren music, it's too godly! I really liked the dialogue between the Gods this episode, as well as the joke about Racer-Gero forgetting to take his helmet off. Seems the police dude is becoming the new Brianne with how he's treated like a pest.

Everyone's talking about the techniques the Namekians used, i care more about the dialogue there. Them showing concern for each other and Piccolo acting like regeneration isn't expected from them. THE MEME MUST LIVE ON, MAN!

Also, Vegeta fighting Topo is the most entertaining fight Vegeta's ever been in.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:46 am

They put so much detail on Kafla's butt in one shot lol

So much reused animation in this episode.

That was the funny scene of Zarbuto Toshio was talking about on his twitter? I expected something funnier.

Krillin's reaction to 17 and 18 fusing was the only part of the episode that made me laugh. I hope "android 35" will happen.

I hated how Piccolo and 18 were depicted being weak in this episode and had to be saved by Gohan and 17.

The Kefla vs Goku fight was just so uninteresting to me for some reason. I really want it to end and watch what the other characters are doing because i'm tired of Goku and the 2 saiyan girls at this point.

Goku transforming into Untra Instict just screamed "plot armor".

Meh episode overall. Possibly my least favorite since 106. It's funny, I expected to dislike 114 but ended up liking it, and I thought I will like 115 but ended up disliking it.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 am

Finished watching the episode and...it was surprisingly lackluster. I was actually a little bored by the end.

Kelfa- she was great at the end of the last episode, but in 115, she was less impressive as a presence. I think I'm a little disappointed with her personality. I had hoped that Kale's meekness would reduce Caulifla's ardor, instead Kelfa is Caulifla on steroids. Gotenks would be telling her to take it down a notch.

Animation was pretty weak, and it was obvious they re-used a lot of it. Most obvious for me was the dialog between Vados and Champa at minute 13 or so. It was taken frame by frame from 112.

Another unpleasant scene for me was with the androids, specifically how 18's character was handled. It felt odd to have her so annoyed at 17 for coming to her rescue. It always seemed to me that helping each other came natural to them, and childish competitiveness was not something you'd see between them. If this was done specifically to make 17 look cool- the way he walks away like a cucumber- at the expense of making 18 look like the bratty little sister he has to take care of, consider my jimmies ruffled.

I hope this wasn't supposed to be the funny Zarbuto scene, because it really wasn't funny. :/

I liked the dialog regarding the fusion between 17 and 18 and the how they'd be called 35. Always knew they'd mention something like that should the android fusion ever come up. But that's pretty much it. Don't think I liked anything else. Maybe I'll rewatch it, but I don't really feel inclined to.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 am

This was kinda boring up until Goku went UI. That shit was hype along with the OST :crazy:

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 am

Things to take away from this episode:
19 minutes left of the tournament...
Goku:
- Goku is "fatigued" - remember this
- Goku can go Blue, one of his most draining forms despite being 'fatigued' from his fight with Jiren
- He follows this up with Blue with KaioKen (what multiplier no-one knows anymore, could be x10, could be x20) and he's still 'tired'
- He then gets one-shotted by SSBerserker or SS Kafla, and transforms into UI, for what reason? Is Kafla near Jiren levels? or is this another episode of let's just shoehorn in transformations because....logic.
- oh and Jiren's woken up from his meditative state

Side characters:
- random announcer dude at the start, I wasn't sure about that but let's roll with it :lol:
- Vegeta was badass, didn't really seem fazed by Toppo that fight, got out of the bearhug easily and was still focused on Goku :lol:
- Base Gohan to the rescue again with a sweet Masenko! :clap:
- Namekian arms and spare-glove-jutsu :lol:
- 18 injured her leg, gets saved by 17, nice nice
- Frieza likes watching Saiyans fighting, cool cool..
- all these scenes were about less than 3/4 minutes

Overall: 6/10

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:18 am

Michsi wrote:Finished watching the episode and...it was surprisingly lackluster. I was actually a little bored by the end.

Kelfa- she was great at the end of the last episode, but in 115, she was less impressive as a presence. I think I'm a little disappointed with her personality. I had hoped that Kale's meekness would reduce Caulifla's ardor, instead Kelfa is Caulifla on steroids. Gotenks would be telling her to take it down a notch.

Animation was pretty weak, and it was obvious they re-used a lot of it. Most obvious for me was the dialog between Vados and Champa at minute 13 or so. It was taken frame by frame from 112.

Another unpleasant scene for me was with the androids, specifically how 18's character was handled. It felt odd to have her so annoyed at 17 for coming to her rescue. It always seemed to me that helping each other came natural to them, and childish competitiveness was not something you'd see between them. If this was done specifically to make 17 look cool- the way he walks away like a cucumber- at the expense of making 18 look like the bratty little sister he has to take care of, consider my jimmies ruffled.

I hope this wasn't supposed to be the funny Zarbuto scene, because it really wasn't funny. :/

I liked the dialog regarding the fusion between 17 and 18 and the how they'd be called 35. Always knew they'd mention something like that should the android fusion ever come up. But that's pretty much it. Don't think I liked anything else. Maybe I'll rewatch it, but I don't really feel inclined to.
Toei are useless at making characters look good without needlessly making others look bad.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 am

TheGreatSaiyaman wrote:Things to take away from this episode:
19 minutes left of the tournament...
Goku:
- Goku is "fatigued" - remember this
- Goku can go Blue, one of his most draining forms despite being 'fatigued' from his fight with Jiren
- He follows this up with Blue with KaioKen (what multiplier no-one knows anymore, could be x10, could be x20) and he's still 'tired'
- He then gets one-shotted by SSBerserker or SS Kafla, and transforms into UI, for what reason? Is Kafla near Jiren levels? or is this another episode of let's just shoehorn in transformations because....logic.
- oh and Jiren's woken up from his meditative state

Side characters:
- random announcer dude at the start, I wasn't sure about that but let's roll with it :lol:
- Vegeta was badass, didn't really seem fazed by Toppo that fight, got out of the bearhug easily and was still focused on Goku :lol:
- Base Gohan to the rescue again with a sweet Masenko! :clap:
- Namekian arms and spare-glove-jutsu :lol:
- 18 injured her leg, gets saved by 17, nice nice
- Frieza likes watching Saiyans fighting, cool cool..
- all these scenes were about less than 3/4 minutes

Overall: 6/10
Clothes beam returns GG

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:07 am

SSJ Kefla's physique should be the standard body type for the U6 base saiyans.

Just having some muscle and definition makes all the difference in terms of appeal and fantasy realism.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]