Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Post by avasatu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am

Now THAT was a great episode. A little too much talking, but much of it was useful. Excellent fights, choreography, animation, soundtracking, animation, epic moments, etc.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 am

I would love to see this whole fight with all the cutaways removed. I think it would be pretty awesome.

Our first female Super Saiyans have finally been defeated, but they were given an epic run. How long did the fight clock in at in the end? Most were over in 1-2 minutes, while this one ended up at about 6-7. Which in-universe is practically an eternity.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:55 am

Caulifla and Kale have done extraordinarily well in this tournament, I was contempt with them defeating most of the Pride Troopers, but I suppose Toriyama wanted to put the icing on the cake. I really felt bad for Kale when she respectfully apologized to her gods. Also, anyone else really like how Caulifla said she would face Goku "someday"? Much like how Goku said he'd fight them one day, and how Vegeta said he'd visit Sadal, it's like people have come to terms that their erasure won't last forever.

Very good episode. I have always been a fan of smug, cocky Goku. I'm glad this episode was full of that.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:57 am

sintzu wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
sintzu wrote:Production wise this was an overall good episode.

Writing...they had to keep prepping her up till the very last moment, going as far as to say she'd finish UI Goku if her attack touched him. I guess this puts her waaaaay above Vegetto's level as it took Goku and Vegeta training with Whis and Ssb to get that strong yet both of her characters got that strong out of the blue.

No one deserved a kamehameha to the face as much as she did.
How can she be above Vegetto's level when Goku and Vegeta individually are much higher than Kale and Caulifla?
I mean their Buu arc levels as that's the last arc before beerus came into the picture and the last time they had powers not gained by training with Whis.

If these 2 girls are this strong out of nowhere, then they'll make jerin look like yamcha if they trained with an angle.
If they weren't above Vegetto's level from 5 arcs ago, then there would be no point in any of this. Hell, Goku still made Kafla look like a fool in the end. I don't see how this is a problem in the slightest.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:59 am

How does Gohan know Kefla's name? Does he have super hearing?

And Vegeta just realized what ultra instinct is now? lol

Goku felt very SSJ4ish in personality. Loved it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 am

Kanassa wrote:That riding kamehameha dodge; GOku really is an airbender!

I like to think that this episode is a callback to episode 5 in many way, with Goku being Beerus this time
Reminds me more of Jiren vs. Goku, except Goku is Jiren.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:06 am

HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote:That riding kamehameha dodge; GOku really is an airbender!

I like to think that this episode is a callback to episode 5 in many way, with Goku being Beerus this time
Reminds me more of Jiren vs. Goku, except Goku is Jiren.
I think Goku is starting to fight like Jiren's when he uses Ultra Instinct.
fadeddreams5 wrote:How does Gohan know Kefla's name? Does he have super hearing?

I don't think Gohan was paying attention to them much. Vegeta needed time to figure out what's going on. It's not like he has time to sit and think about. I don't know about the SSJ4 vibe that you are getting from Goku, but I don't see it yet. I need to rewatch to see that.
Lord Beerus wrote:Fantastic episode.

The fight between Goku and Kafla was great and major step up from last weeks initial uninspiring skirmish. The more I see of Ultra Instinct, the more I want this form to replace every other transformation that Goku has. Because Ultra Instinct is fucking awesome. Kafla was getting clowned by Ultra Instinct Goku and it was great to watch from start to finish.

I won't lie, Jiren stopping his meditating to take fight again got me hyped. I don't what it about this guy but he just... carries a certain mystique about him that you can't put your finger on, but you ultimately still want to see more of him. Jiren is such an intriguing enigma.

While I found Kafla fun to watch, she didn't really do anything noteworthy. She just didn't really that much of lasting impression when all was said and done. She didn't really have her "moment". Ya know, something that fans will remember her for and will always associate her with within Dragon Ball. Her performance in battle also left a bit to be desired.She put a good fight against (a fatigued) SSJG, SSJB and even Kaioken Blue Goku, but then got totally chumped by Ultra Instinct Goku. Kafla was truly Gotenks 2.0, when you get down it. She was nothing more than a flash-in-the-pan character, that was all sizzle and no stake, and basically existed for the sole purposes of producing a pretty fireworks show and to artificially extend the plot, before getting put in their place by the superior fighter. I don't think I'll be looking back on the character too fondly. That's not to say I thought she was a bad character. Just a bit to disposable of character, especially for a fused character, for my personal liking.
Man you are good at disecting episodes down to their core. Good Job!!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:07 am

Universe 6 is screwed. I can't believe they're falling so early.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:Caulifla and Kale have done extraordinarily well in this tournament, I was contempt with them defeating most of the Pride Troopers, but I suppose Toriyama wanted to put the icing on the cake. I really felt bad for Kale when she respectfully apologized to her gods. Also, anyone else really like how Caulifla said she would face Goku "someday"? Much like how Goku said he'd fight them one day, and how Vegeta said he'd visit Sadal, it's like people have come to terms that their erasure won't last forever.

Very good episode. I have always been a fan of smug, cocky Goku. I'm glad this episode was full of that.
Cocky Goku is always fun to watch and always seems to make memorable moments and moves.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:18 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:That has got to be the coolest Kamehameha I've ever seen. I was expecting Goku to blast through Kafla's attack, but then he goes and uses the Kamehameha as a force to dodge over her attack and then blasts her. That was awesome.

Good episode. What stops it from being great were the constant cutaways, especially in the first half. Things definitely started to pick up in the second half. I wish they hadn't used Ultimate Battle in last weeks episode, because when they used it here it was waaay more exciting.

Don't know what to think about next weeks episode. I've been wanting to see some Android action for a while, but I just do not care about the Universe 2 contestants at all.
My exact opinions. I'll say it again, no one does hype like DBS. What this show lacks in logic and consistency, it makes up for in hype.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 am

Things I Liked:

-Ultra Instinct Goku is pretty awesome.
-The second half of this episode was very solid.
-That last Kamehameha was a beauty.
-Kefla is gone. :thumbup:

Things I'm Mixed On:

-The art and animation was mostly solid, but there were a few very odd shots. One in particular was cutting to Vegeta in a very off-model shot, then immediately cutting to a zoom-in of his face. Was that first shot really necessary Super? Other than those nitpicks though, it was solid.
-Watching Goku and Kefla power up was cool and all, but I can't help but feel like it was a massive Saiyan wank fest (pardon the expression). It doesn't help that Kefla almost literally says "being a Saiyan is so awesome!"

Things I Disliked:

-Way too much peanut gallery again. You could literally cut all of the filler cut-away shots from last episode and this one to make the fight one solid episode. Padding it out honestly isn't necessary Super.
-So, Saiyans get stronger now just by powering up in each other's presence? You can just will your power to higher levels, huh? Guess they just didn't try hard enough in Z... (I realize this might just be meaning they're powering up, but the wording was really bad)
-"Goku is definitely getting stronger." I agree Toppo. You should take him out now before he becomes a threat to you and your universe's survival, right Jiren? Jiren? ...Hey, Jiren? Why aren't you- oh, the episode's over. *sigh*

The first half of this episode dragged quite a bit, but the second half more than made up for that. This was definitely a solid episode. Now that the fight is over, I can safely say that this entire four episode fight could have been edited down to two or three episodes and it would have flowed a LOT better. Ultra Instinct continues to be great and it's nice to finally be done with the Kale and Caulifla show. That final Kamehameha blast to the face was a satisfying end, in my opinion. Next episode looks like it's trying to imply Universe 2 may be the next to go, what with saying all of Universe 2 is targeting Universe 7. I feel the episode will be interesting but rather predictable.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:24 am

I've seen a few people doing this, so I'm gonna steal it. Don't sue me.

Things I Liked:
  • That fight was HYPE as fuck! Choreographed so well too. It really felt intense! Kamehameholyfuck that was cool. Blasted her right in the face, what a headshot.
  • I like how every single time they switch to Freeza he's laughing his ass off. He's having so much fun.
  • I enjoyed Kefla this episode, she was a lot more tolerable and kinda funny too. Her attacks were so cool, all that red lightning, and then Christmas beam. I like how she said she was glad to be born a saiyan, lol.
  • U6 Kai going apeshit was great
  • Art and Animation were pretty spot on, I was really afraid of them putting on a mediocre performance that would terrible compared to the special, but they actually gave UI a really good showing.
  • This was a good last showing for Caulifla and Kale, I'm a big fan of these characters now, although more-so Caulifla.
  • Kale's first instinct was to apologize to Champa and the Kai instead of being scaried or worrying about them being erased, kinda shows how far her character has come.
  • Was that a new track I heard? Either way, all the music in this episode was SO GOOD!
  • Kefla was actually drawn good this episode! No more looking like she's a greased up Pan!

Things I'm Mixed On:

• Goku talks while in UI now, huh? I dunno how to feel about that, thought it was unique that he was silent.
  • The U6 Namekians being the last one's left is interesting, but I would have preferred Kefla, plus I have a feeling TOEI is gonna fuck up with them and give Piccolo the shaft too.
  • Kinda wish Kefla would have gone SSJ3 cause of all the foreshadowing and Caulifla already did the bullshit SSJ1 and SSJ2 powerup so might as well go 3, but hey maybe that'll be saved for a Planet Sadala arc?
  • Toppo and Dyspo are still standing around doing nothing. There's too much other things going on to give them screen time anyway, but I swear to god Toppo has literally been standing still like a statue almost the entire tournament
  • That fight lasted quite a few episodes, I'm happy with that sort of pacing, although each episode should really have some good things about it and some episodes felt like a waste.
  • Ribrianne gets a new transformation in the NEP. If it looks anything like her base form, there may be some hope left for this character. At least she'll have a good design as the one likeable thing about her. But if it's just another dumb looking transformation, it's shit.

Things I Disliked:
  • Oh my god the sidelines need to SHUT THE FUCK UP. I couldn't believe they played that awesome insert song and so much of it was just Beerus and Whis pointing out the obvious
  • Speaking of which, all the sideline chatter was completely useless and retarded dialogue. Piccolo's like, "Woah, it's like if one guy powers up, the other guy powers up too" and then Gohan's all "WHAT!? REALLY!?" as if this is some shocking revelation.
  • This is more of a dislike of the overall fight (but I enjoyed it overall.) The last episode's fight fucking sucked and this one was awesome, last episode felt almost entirely pointless except for the UI part.

All in all this was an incredible episode, so much fun to watch. Could easily be in the top 5 for this arc. It tried to rival the special, and while I wouldn't say it achieved that goal, it came quite close.

Also, looks like I was completely wrong about the U6 Namekians being the last ones. Looks like your boys in green are gonna get their spotlight, namekiansaiyan.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:28 am

perucho1990 wrote:In the preview seems that U2 might be going out before Universe 6, Zirloin, Ranbara and Zarbuto fighting Goku isnt looking good for them. Rozie will lose to 17, leaving Brianne as the lone survivor.

Kefla is gone tonight and next week its 18 turn, at this rate we wont have anymore female fighters.
Yeah, that's disappointing, but at least they're giving these lady butt kickers a lot of great action scenes and screen time. I am not disappointed in these characters at all in this tournament when it comes to action scenes. 18's done really well so far too. I am disappointed in my favorite characters Piccolo and Tien tho, I want to see Piccs do something incredibly cool before he goes.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:33 am

Asura wrote:I've seen a few people doing this, so I'm gonna steal it. Don't sue me.
Oh, you are so sued.

...Oh wait, you also liked the episode? Never mind, it's cool then. :thumbup:
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:42 am

majinwarman wrote: I don't know about the SSJ4 vibe that you are getting from Goku, but I don't see it yet.
Just his overall disposition. That seriousness is similar to what SSJ4 Goku displayed with he fought Bebi.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I don't know about the SSJ4 vibe that you are getting from Goku, but I don't see it yet.
Just his overall disposition. That seriousness is similar to what SSJ4 Goku displayed with he fought Bebi.
Yeah, I agree. SSJ4 Goku was always serious, calm, smug, and very confident in himself. I see all of those features in UI Goku.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:How does Gohan know Kefla's name? Does he have super hearing?

Everyone at this tournament has to power to conveniently hear and see what's happening on screen.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 am

Considering how much Kefla yells i would be surprised if Gohan could not hear her.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 am

That episode definitely had really great parts. The Kamehameha at the end was well executed.

I was curious during the first Ultra Instinct transformation (against Jiren) if Goku's body heat was a direct result of absorbing the Spirit Bomb... but it really does seem like the heat actually comes with the form itself. That could pose an issue for him if he wants to use UI again before the ToP wraps up.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:25 am

MajinMan wrote:
If they weren't above Vegetto's level from 5 arcs ago, then there would be no point in any of this. Hell, Goku still made Kafla look like a fool in the end. I don't see how this is a problem in the slightest.
Both went from not knowing what a ssj was to being able to give UI Goku a challenge, so much so that he would've been a mess if he got hit by her attack.

How on earth is that not a problem ? That'd be like Saiyan arc goku and vegeta doing that.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.