Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:01 am

This episode was awesome. Ultra Instinct is as great as it always is, and that Kamehameha was one of the best in the franchise.
I liked how Vegeta remembered about Whis’ teachings. I think he will be able to use the offensive UI, and I could see him and Goku working together to beat Jiren.
I’m very curious about Brianne’s new transformation, and I wonder what will Gohan and Freeza do. I would like to see Gohan being the one to master UI first.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:12 am

That point blank range Kamehameha should've done more damage, just saiyan.

The one against Cell blew off his entire upper body.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:03 am

JazzMazz wrote:However, I do think this episode highlights my biggest problem with this fight, which really has less to with the fight itself, and more to do with where the fight is narratively. Though this is the second longest fight in the show, it doesn't really lead onto anything particularly important narrative wise, it the fight hasn't greatly effected the tournament in a noteable manner besides knocking bringing Universe 6 closer to destruction.
The point *seems* to be the fact that the female duo will emerge far more powerful from this tournament compared to when they entered it. And maybe the fact that we got to see another 'epic' battle. However, if U6 dies and doesn't come back, it's all for naught.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:03 am

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:12 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:However, I do think this episode highlights my biggest problem with this fight, which really has less to with the fight itself, and more to do with where the fight is narratively. Though this is the second longest fight in the show, it doesn't really lead onto anything particularly important narrative wise, it the fight hasn't greatly effected the tournament in a noteable manner besides knocking bringing Universe 6 closer to destruction.
The point *seems* to be the fact that the female duo will emerge far more powerful from this tournament compared to when they entered it. And maybe the fact that we got to see another 'epic' battle. However, if U6 dies and doesn't come back, it's all for naught.
Let me clear myself up.

I'm fine with them having this massive battle in the tournament, but narratively its a useless fight that does little to change the setting or circumstances and doesn't flow onto anything bigger. This fight would have been a great way to lead onto Jiren fighting Goku, instead, we're just going to get several more episodes of Goku getting his ass handed to him and recovering his stamina, which feels really out of place considering that we just had Goku getting his ass handed to him and recovering his stamina.

I'm just saying the placement of the fight doesn't really help progress the story and doesn't really lead into anything despite how much time was spent on it. Thats my main problem with it.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:16 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:That point blank range Kamehameha should've done more damage, just saiyan.

It's about the power of the Kamehameha vs the power of the defender. Kefla is easy to underestimate, she's in fact extremely powerful and Goku probably couldn't defeat her even at his current level of power if he didn't also have the boon of the Ultra Instinct ability.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 am

I'm not crazy about this one, I know a lot of people calling it better then the special and besides Goku dodging Kefla's last attacks, I can't say I agree with that.

I'm also not enthused about the idea of them spinning their wheels until Goku vs Jiren round 2 by having everyone take turns attacking exhausted Goku and him potentially regaining UI 5 times over until the last episode. Even here it feels really rushed since it's just six episodes after the special.

I get what the intent is, they want to have Goku learn more about UI to master it with repeated use since it's not just a generic power up, a fact I appreciate about it, but this whole idea of needing to fight different groups of people to match the last big gun doesn't really work when in universe all this shit is happening in the span of 2-3 minutes tops. This is something you do over a few days worth of fighting, not seconds and/or minutes.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 am

JazzMazz wrote:I'm fine with them having this massive battle in the tournament, but narratively its a useless fight that does little to change the setting or circumstances and doesn't flow onto anything bigger. This fight would have been a great way to lead onto Jiren fighting Goku, instead, we're just going to get several more episodes of Goku getting his ass handed to him and recovering his stamina, which feels really out of place considering that we just had Goku getting his ass handed to him and recovering his stamina.
Oh, I agree totally. Goku getting UI'ed so soon really felt weird. For a moment I even thought that Frieza would give him MORE energy AGAIN.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 am

Amazing episode! I liked almost everything, kefla ssj2, ultrainsinct, animation ecc.
What about next? New trasformation for ribrianne? :0

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 am

Pretty good episode and a decent fight overall. The non stop action is really making me lose interest though. I know many of us complained about the lack of action but 20 episodes of nothing but fighting gets boring too. I know it has to do with the structure of this tournament and there is nowhere else to switch to but still. I think one will get a better experience from binge watching this arc.

freak27

Post by freak27 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 am

Best thing I ve seen this year!!! I'm SHOCKED!!!!!!

Ultra Instinct animation was from another planet.

I CRYYYY

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 am

MegaBossMan wrote:frankly if you weren't fond of this episode Super may not be the series for you. Not to say it was flawless but it certainly captures Super at its best.
I think this about sums it up for me. I'm just not with what Super is doing, and no matter how much I try to like it, I just can't breakthrough, even when they provide me with one of the most stylish/well animated finishing moves from the entire franchise thus far. If you're just gonna give me post-Freeza arc power tennis, I need a fun plot/an engaging mystery/great character dynamics to bounce off of.

Besides the previous arc, I've just not been able to engage with Super, even on the seemingly unanimously celebrated episodes, such as this.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 am

A wonderful episode!! Will it be topped?!? (That's my little parody of Japanese episode titling :lol: )

Anyways, pretty damn solid.

We see that Goku has more "control" over Ultra Instinct and is putting Kefla on the ropes, though not by as much of a margin as we expect. The Ultra Instinct just KNOWS better, and Goku didn't let it take over. Wow..... to think that the ultimate power requires not being in control of it and just letting it do the work.

I love the fact that the Ultra Instinct is the truest expression of the martial arts roots of this series, and it's used to great effect to highlight and contrast with Kefla's much more DBZ-oriented style. Seriously, think about it.

Kefla is all about going in with fists flying, taking hits head on, and throwing around Ki blasts for days. But the Ultra Instinct is about movement, redirecting and avoiding attacks, and striking with precision and efficiency. It's a bit poetic, in a sense, in that martial arts have finally shown WHY they're not to be messed with, why pure power and screaming isn't the way to go.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 am

That final Kamehameha was pretty epic. Even Kefla couldn't believe it. Her face was priceless.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:That point blank range Kamehameha should've done more damage.
I would've had it melt her head off. Zeno would most likely be so impressed he'd just look the other way and let Goku stay in.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:That point blank range Kamehameha should've done more damage, just saiyan.

I'm sure Goku definitely wants to get disqualified.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:50 am

sintzu wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:That point blank range Kamehameha should've done more damage.
I would've had it melt her head off. Zeno would most likely be so impressed he'd just look the other way and let Goku stay in.
Someone hire this man to write DBS. Seriously.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Someone hire this man to write DBS. Seriously.
Thank you good sir. :mrgreen:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:08 am

precita wrote:Who would have thought the two Nameks would be the last two U6 members standing? I never would have believed it. Always assumed Hit and Caulifa or Kale would be the last.
They will lead Universe 6 to the victory.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:45 am

I wasn't TOO sure at first- another 'transformation' (so to speak)- but Ultra Instinct Goku is really growing on me; I'm interested to see if he'll master the 'attack' phase or if Vegeta will, as someone else suggested, gain that experence first (wouldn''t count on it, but still...)

I was ambivalent about Kafla/ Kefla; I think for my money they went a little overboard on the hubristic ego-maniac aspect (although understandable given Caulifla's... forceful personality and the access to all that power) and didn't really include Kale at all, but then she, personality-wise, is more-or-less overwhelmed by Caulifla anyway/ adopts a subordinate position, so maybe even within the fusion itself she did the same.

As others have mentioned, that Kamehameha was amazing- definitely the best I've seen in Super, better than a great many from DB/ DBZ. The sense of its coruscating power was conveyed wonderfully clearly, plus- again to echo others- the fact that the cocky Ka(/e)fla was the unwilling recipient made it all the sweeter. I would say, though, that it was impressive that despite being sent flying by it, she wasn't consumed by it, as has been seen to be the case with past Kamehamehas; she sort of seemed to be 'holding it' off her with a hand (?) but unable to stop it from knocking her away. I guess this emphasises some aspect of her level of power.

All opinions my own, take with a pinch of salt, etc.