Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 am

This episode was something special, that ending sequence was incredible

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:57 am

sintzu wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
If they weren't above Vegetto's level from 5 arcs ago, then there would be no point in any of this. Hell, Goku still made Kafla look like a fool in the end. I don't see how this is a problem in the slightest.
Both went from not knowing what a ssj was to being able to give UI Goku a challenge, so much so that he would've been a mess if he got hit by her attack.

How on earth is that not a problem ? That'd be like Saiyan arc goku and vegeta doing that.
Because not knowing about Super Saiyan didn't mean they weren't well and truly ready to achieve the transformation. It sounds like Caulifla may have been at least one of the strongest of all Saiyans in her Universe. The strength was there, they just hadn't opened the door to higher power because they didn't know it existed. Remember, Goku is the only Saiyan to have transformed without witnessing the form first. They could have already been ten times stronger than Namek baseGoku but simply hadn't transformed yet. Plus, it was a Potara Fusion between two best friends who continually support each others' growth, making it a highly compatible fusion.

Finally, Saiyan power levels have been garbage forever. We keep hearing about how powerful they are, when initially Nappa was considered powerful among them.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:20 am

Now that it's finally over, rate Goku vs Caulifla/Kale/Kefla

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:21 am

The episode was meh. Cyclops vs Spider-Man.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:32 am

OLKv3 wrote:Now that it's finally over, rate Goku vs Caulifla/Kale/Kefla
It's tough because the episodes varied in quality. 13 was good, 14 was incredible, 15 was bleh and 16 was okay up until a phenomenal climax.

Caulifla and Kale are great characters, their interactions with Goku produced some of the best moments of the arc in my opinion, and this was a hell of a send-off for them. If it wasn't for the placement of this fight and the pacing problems of the tournament as a whole, I would rate it among my top fights in the series.

It should have been more spread out. Even if you like the principle characters as I do (all four of them counting Kefla), four episodes focused entirely on that in a tournament that has otherwise changed things up week to week is going to get stale. Plus, the fact that Kefla ultimately didn't go onto accomplish anything before being rung out makes the last two episodes feel like a waste of time. You can't even say the return of Ultra Instinct was a big development because Goku is going back to square one next episode. This episode should have happened closer to the end and should have segued right into the final battle with Jiren. That would give other characters time to shine, and it would delay the loss of Universe 6 who REALLY should not be going out at this stage.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:36 am

114 and 116 were some of the best episodes in the entire arc, and all of Super. 113 and 115 on the other hand really kinda sucked, and dragged the fight down.

Still, I really enjoyed it and I like how much of an effort the girls gave.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 am

Well considering she irritated the soul outta me and camped at the very bottom of the loathing scale around the end, I will have to go with a 0/100..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:55 am

Great and fun episode! Goes to show you how well animated sequences can go a long way toward making you appreciate a character.
Kefla was a lot more impressive here, and even if she was obviously on the losing side, they still managed to make her seem formidable.
It's a shame that they couldn't do this in the previous episode which had her as the dominating fighter.

And now the namekians are the only ones left - I didn't see that happen. But the ending scene with U6 had me think that maybe it really is them that gets erased in 118 :(

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:39 am

Sometimes, you see something where no analysis is necessary. No further discussion is required. That applies to this episode. To THAT moment.

That ending blow might have been the coolest shit in this entire show.

Forgive how simple minded and vapid that sounds, but there's really nothing more to say.

That is all. Carry on.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:50 am

Color me surprised, I never expected them to actually have the KHH look that great, t'was pure hype! and when Goku burried his feet to dodge and stand straight down stare at her.. holy hell.
Kefla: I feel like I can bust up an entire universe with this blast!
*mints later
Goku: Whats wrong? that all you got?
Seems UI literally boosts everything, including his savagery. He's sounding more and more like Black whenever he enters that form, I love how Nozawa keeps using that tone on Goku.
Vegeta be like: Me gonna master UI before Kakarrot!
*mints later - fails and gets kicked by epic police man*
"Ultimate Battle" with more vocals had my blood pumping up! its really an epic BGM whenever an epic fight is happening.
Nyweys Goku's tired.. AGAIN! NEP's a bore again, at least I get to see 17 and 18 kick ass again.

Anyways, Kefla's out.. about damn fucking time. I can finally enjoy this tournament without any worry of them popping out.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:00 am

It was a good episode even though a little "boring"? Kefla was pretty much useless, she couldn't even do anything to UI Goku so the fight was kinda like Broly vs the Z warriors.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 am

So many pretty movements from Goku. The fight was a lot of fun. The girls are great and I hope they return in a future arc. The end to this battle was probably one of the best moments Super has had.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 am

Ah, something I forgot to mention , the weak points of the episode: way too much side-line dialog interruptions. I think this waas the first time where it really bothered me. Also, the whole "their power keeps swelling" got a little tiresome.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:15 am

Kefla was the reason for her own demise. Amazing.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:17 am

Who would have thought the two Nameks would be the last two U6 members standing? I never would have believed it. Always assumed Hit and Caulifa or Kale would be the last.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:21 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:Kefla was the reason for her own demise. Amazing.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That, and that she waited for Goku to get up instead of blasting him of the stage when she had the chance. So yeah, still the reason for her own demise.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:40 am

They're out. Sweet mother of mercy, they're out.

The most irritating, idiotic, constantly-stroking-my-own-ego character is gone. I never watched the Buu saga (only read summaries) but if that's what Gotenks' personality is like as well, I don't want to see a fused character ever again. Kefla was so fucking annoying to me it's not even funny. Her brute bluntness, her teach-me-so-that-I-can-kick-your-ass attitude reeks of arrogance, ungratefulness, ego-maniacism (pretty sure that's not a word but I'm too cringed to care right now) and generally annoyance. Heck, she makes Ribrianne seem like the coolest character ever. I don't think I've ever disliked a character so much. Pretty sure it's not sexist because 18 is a also a female character who kicked major ass back in the day and I loved her. Vegeta is also guilty of those flaws, which is why I hated him in the Namek/Cell arcs. However, he grew as a character (even though he can sometimes take a one step forward, two steps back approach sometimes).

The own show seemed to say 'STFU' when Goku's Kamehameha was replayed three times from different angles as if to help us embrace the moment of the bitch being knocked out. Goku did it. Thank Christ. If U6 somehow survives or gets resurrected, I'd really like to see Caufilla become more humble, just so that she could be more tolerable.

Also, I hated the fact that Kefla didn't seem to have any, ANY kind of Kale's personality. She was just Caufila on meth, which is disappointing. Seriously, when she got SSJ, there was literally no way of the viewer knowing she wasn't just Caufilla, but a new person with *some* aspects of her personality.

Goku's UI saved the episode. Everytime Kefla was delivering a line, I wanted to punch her.

As for my boy, Frieza? He's still being saved from any kind of humiliation or disgrace by the writers. He has yet to be owned or humbled by anyone (except maybe Goku who was like 'They're mine' two eps ago). Frieza is now like a powerful vulture, patiently waiting for the kill. I'm literally dying to see what will they do with the Frost Demon in the next episodes.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:50 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:Kefla was the reason for her own demise. Amazing.
In her defense, if she hadn't powered up, Goku would've simply overpowered her with weaker forms.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 am

This was a really solid episode to an otherwise mixed bag of a fight.

The only real complaints I have is that its a little too talky in places and Kelfa is really really obnoxious.

"Ha Ha, your beating the living shit out of me and completely outclass me, I'm still stronger than you though."

UI Goku was interesting. Its nice to see Goku more mellowed out and applying some strategy to his situation.

However, I do think this episode highlights my biggest problem with this fight, which really has less to with the fight itself, and more to do with where the fight is narratively. Though this is the second longest fight in the show, it doesn't really lead onto anything particularly important narrative wise, it the fight hasn't greatly effected the tournament in a noteable manner besides knocking bringing Universe 6 closer to destruction.

Goku's still weak and needs to recover his stamina.

And most of the other universes haven't been drastically effected by the conflict.

So I really have to wonder if the 4 episodes devoted to this fight were really worth it if since not much has really happened because of it.

I think it would have been far smarter of them to have had this big fight later on and have it lead into the final fight act of the tournament against Jiren and continued upping the excitement and spectacle, instead of letting the arc sink back into its milling and drudgy nature.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 am

The only thing I literally liked about Kefla was that both our expression were the same when Goku did the Kamehameha slide, shit was so lit my jaw broke 3floors.