Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:34 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Asura wrote:The problem with all of that is that we never even understood what Ribrianne (and Universe 2) thought love meant in the first place. What exactly do they think it means? It's hard for me to grasp and understand the character's development if we're never even given a clue of where she's coming from or what she's trying to say. Instead, we just get "love" in every single sentence which tells us nothing aside from the fact that Ribrianne should belong to U3 with how much she repeats herself over and over like a robot.

And again, I really don't think her looks are the reason why people dislike her. Sure, they don't help, but the problem with her character isn't that she's fat, it's that she's just a bad gag that repeats herself over and over and over again. Where is the character? What is the character? Who the hell is Brianne other than a broken record? What does she stand for? Obviously it's not the same "love" as every other universe (or at least U7) feels, so what does their version of love mean? We're never given an answer. Is it supposed to be about superficial beauty? Cause there are some butt ugly motherfuckers in U2. Also Brianne seemed to take somewhat of a romantic/tsundere interest at Jiren despite the fact that Jiren is as bald as Krillin is. As a matter of fact, there's a bunch of bald dudes in U2, so if Ribrianne is using baldy as an insult that must mean being bald isn't beautiful to them... so...?

I highly doubt that 18 would take on a mentor role to teach Brianne about love, that's just never going to happen. I don't think Brianne, Sanka Ku, and Su Roas are going to be part of the new generation given they're barely even characters to begin with (especially Sanka Ku and Su Roas). I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw them again given their entire existence is for a gag. Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale have character, they have focus, they have clear personalities, sensible and easily understandable motivations, and you can take them seriously whereas Ribrianne doesn't seem like she was a character ever meant to be taken seriously. We'll definitely be seeing more of Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale.

I don't think Brianne was played brilliantly by TOEI at all. The message they were trying to get across with her character is that she talks about love but doesn't know what love is. Great idea, horrible execution. If only they would explain what the fuck she's talking about instead of just spouting the word "love" at every opportunity, this character could have been mildly interesting. What does Ribrianne mean when she says she fights with/for the power of love?

Toppo is a character who always talks about justice, nowhere near as much as Ribrianne talks about love, but still quite a lot. We actually get to see what justice is to Toppo though, we get to see why he thinks Goku is evil compared to his justice. We literally see him doing good deeds in his universe and protecting people, that is his justice. It's very clearly understood what Toppo means. He talks about justice a lot, but it actually makes sense. There's real meaning behind his words. With Brianne, there is none of that. Just a broken record with no clarification, no backstory, no clear indication of what love means to her. It seems to be implied that it's about superficial looks and the joke is that she's fat but they find that beautiful. The execution still doesn't make any sense though since I don't think Ribrianne ever comments on anyone's looks aside from this episode with Krillin. If that's what love meant to her, wouldn't we have seen her talk about how ugly other people in other universes are? Can't say I remember her doing that, although if she did let me know.

So in conclusion, the point of Ribrianne's character is... I don't know. Her character arc is... I don't know. Her idea of love is... I don't know. :|

I just don't know anything about this character and it's clear TOEI never planned to actually elaborate on her because she's a gag character, and that's why the scene at the end of this episode just doesn't work, because it's supposed to be built on development and characterization that came before it, and there was none.
I agree with this, I think this goes to highlight how this arc would have been greatly benefitted if they spent the time to properly characterize each of the major players and what they believe so we can at least understand their character development.

I think it would have been a good idea in Ribriannes case to have her and her magical girl team actually fight a monster in there universe, and from there they could make clear what Ribrianne thinks love is about, so we actually understand where they are coming from. Instead we just get a mild idea about whatever the hell they're talking about, and they just repeat the word a million times.

In a story, its important to show something over telling, for the majority of the characters in the tournament, we don't have or tell to back any characterization they have since we weren't introduced to them previously.
While Indeed in the end I disagree on the topic nothing was gained for her, I can respect that we just opposite point so view in the end that at least we can think critically on and hopefully respect each other that as least we have a good debate on the topics we do.

Also like I said on another thread, I don't care much to keep going in a circle either about this topic, really I have my views that I will not alter and you will not either and I am ok with that. Time will tell Brianne and the Girls Future, even if they are erase I expect them back, so the future is more depended on what Toei wants, but no-one here can guarantee that no matter how much we think we know or try to explain, we just do theories.

Whatever Happens~~~Happens, I still enjoy her Character Like I meet others that did as well and still do. Others did not enjoy her, that is how it always goes, only the unnecessary harping about her got to much.

In the end Brianne ended on a good note that seem to indicate Toei is not done with her, that this might be only her opening and learning act, that is my theory. If it leads to nothing by Toei then while I will be disappointed, it will be what it will be, it is how it goes.

In the end I hope for the Best for Each of these characters, New or Classic, ones that got time to have some fleshing out to them I hope Toei does not give-up on, brings them back and fleshes out more, really Only time will tell.

Caulifla and Kale are part of the future of Dragon Ball and I came to like them a whole-lot by the end of this. I hope Toei is serious about making an arc with them in the future in U6, it seems greatly like they are going in that direction, I hope they keep that tease alive! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm

There was one good thing about Ribrianne in this episode (aside that she got thrown out lol), its that she learned something. She thought she knew about love but she didn't so much. Episode was great tbh, and in context it made sense with C18, her and love, her surpassing her limits to protect not U7 but her family first, and with the help of her brother, it was all very good. Next week with Nameks better not disappoint.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 pm

I hope this isn't the last we see of Ribrianne. While it seems likely U2 is soon for the chopping block, I just find her to be a really cool concept and design, and think she's got a lot of potential. I mean, I have no idea what Toei would do with her even if she somehow survives this arc, but I don't know, I just like her a lot. Shame she got such a negative reception from the fanbase at large (and I can kinda see why). I do like that her defeat caused her to learn a lesson, even if it was maximum cheese. I guess you could call it a character arc?

In the end, part of me is honestly hoping for some kind of Goku-brand asspull that results in the erased universes coming back, if only so all these new designs I like (not just the U2 lot) don't go to waste. I mean, it's a shonen at the end of the day, and a Sunday morning kids' cartoon. I doubt the conclusion will be that bleak, especially considering it's indirectly the protagonist's fault that people are dying.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 pm

With Ribrianne being one of the few characters being built up before the tournament I thought she'd last longer, I mean I guess she did. I guess what I mean is that I assumed she be more of a big deal in the tournament but she really amounted to nothing in the end. I dunno I guess I assumed that because of how prominent she was in the opening and ending, as well as showing up on the cover of that magazine a little while back. Wouldn't say she was wasted like some characters and I did enjoy her while she lasted, just wish she did something more impactful in the tournament.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 pm

Weejus wrote:I hope this isn't the last we see of Ribrianne. While it seems likely U2 is soon for the chopping block, I just find her to be a really cool concept and design, and think she's got a lot of potential. I mean, I have no idea what Toei would do with her even if she somehow survives this arc, but I don't know, I just like her a lot. Shame she got such a negative reception from the fanbase at large (and I can kinda see why). I do like that her defeat caused her to learn a lesson, even if it was maximum cheese. I guess you could call it a character arc?

In the end, part of me is honestly hoping for some kind of Goku-brand asspull that results in the erased universes coming back, if only so all these new designs I like (not just the U2 lot) don't go to waste. I mean, it's a shonen at the end of the day, and a Sunday morning kids' cartoon. I doubt the conclusion will be that bleak, especially considering it's indirectly the protagonist's fault that people are dying.
Hey they Weejus, Nice to meet you and glad to hear you enjoyed Ribrianne and U2. :thumbup:

Honestly I don't think this will be the last we see of Brianne or U2, they are to unique of a concept and I think Toei might have more long-term plans for them like they do with the U2 Saiyans. Their where a few fighters I and others thought will go farther and they did not go as far as we thought, why Toei did this is are secret they only know, no fan truly knows. They only thing I think is that it seems they are setting up Universes like U2 and U6 as the new generation young universe to have a grand intro here but will get more development later after experiencing the power of older universes like U7 and U11.

I think we as fans while I as well wanted Brianne to be a Bigger deal power-wise right now, she and others are likely being saved for the next future are it seems. That is my theory and if so it might be an interesting one or something like that.

I think this goes with your point that Brianne has potential and it is the same for the U2 Saiyans and likely the Namekians, potential to become greater now that they have seen it.

Also I would not worry about the so-called dislike Brianne had, it IMO is just a one section of the fanbases opinion that spoke loudly about it to often and got to strange about it. Their are fans of her and a good deal of us out here, we like Brianne and hope the best for her use more in the Future like you do. :)
My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:With Ribrianne being one of the few characters being built up before the tournament I thought she'd last longer, I mean I guess she did. I guess what I mean is that I assumed she be more of a big deal in the tournament but she really amounted to nothing in the end. I dunno I guess I assumed that because of how prominent she was in the opening and ending, as well as showing up on the cover of that magazine a little while back. Wouldn't say she was wasted like some characters and I did enjoy her while she lasted, just wish she did something more impactful in the tournament.
Hello CriticalThinker, Welcome to the Thread and Nice to meet You. :thumbup:

Indeed I feel you on you about Brianne and the build-up around her.

I think allot of the Hype around Brianne was real and I don't think Toei thinks they wasted her, they just might have a different definition of importance to her. As I said like the U6 Girls went out early as well, they where the most hype around this and sadly went out early too. I thing Toei is setting them all up to be bigger deals and for use to notice them are important characters. Not necessarily the most powerful, Yet, but clearly a new generation of warriors who can learn from the older generations form U7 and U11.

Again I agree I wanted more for Brianne in the ToP, I still have a good amount a me feeling that Toei held to much back and let her down by not going all the way they could. But again I am not writing this and this maybe not their full and complete plan. Maybe if they where already the Best they have nowhere else to go. That might be the Point, we know Goku, Vegeta, Jiren, Toppo, 17 and others are the Best, maybe this is the way for the Best to meet the Next Potential Best?!

If so I give props to Toei for a interesting, long term story that they have the patients and foresight to do.
My #1 in DB!

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:58 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:With Ribrianne being one of the few characters being built up before the tournament I thought she'd last longer, I mean I guess she did. I guess what I mean is that I assumed she be more of a big deal in the tournament but she really amounted to nothing in the end. I dunno I guess I assumed that because of how prominent she was in the opening and ending, as well as showing up on the cover of that magazine a little while back. Wouldn't say she was wasted like some characters and I did enjoy her while she lasted, just wish she did something more impactful in the tournament.
Hello CriticalThinker, Welcome to the Thread and Nice to meet You. :thumbup:

Indeed I feel you on you about Brianne and the build-up around her.

I think allot of the Hype around Brianne was real and I don't think Toei thinks they wasted her, they just might have a different definition of importance to her. As I said like the U6 Girls went out early as well, they where the most hype around this and sadly went out early too. I thing Toei is setting them all up to be bigger deals and for use to notice them are important characters. Not necessarily the most powerful, Yet, but clearly a new generation of warriors who can learn from the older generations form U7 and U11.

Again I agree I wanted more for Brianne in the ToP, I still have a good amount a me feeling that Toei held to much back and let her down by not going all the way they could. But again I am not writing this and this maybe not their full and complete plan. Maybe if they where already the Best they have nowhere else to go. That might be the Point, we know Goku, Vegeta, Jiren, Toppo, 17 and others are the Best, maybe this is the way for the Best to meet the Next Potential Best?!

If so I give props to Toei for a interesting, long term story that they have the patients and foresight to do.
Thanks and nice to meet you as well. It would be nice to think that some of these characters would have importance later on, but I only think the U6 saiyans will be important in the long run. Who knows though maybe the other characters will show up and do something but I'm not getting my hopes up.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:26 pm

IGN gave this episode a 7.7 if anyone's interested.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I still wonder what the point of this arc is. they introduce so much but seemingly so pointlessly. If they just introduce universes to eliminate in this arc it will be disappointing. It will definitely show they are not doing too much heavy long term writing. The type of writing I would hope they would do. I would love some more interesting development and not just fight to fight nonsense storytelling. This show should mature more instead of catering to new kids.. It's better to give kids good things to look up to than make thing at their level. It's just healthier and more intelligent. You don't have to just do it for the action. You can write deep creative meaningful stories to give the fighting background and purpose. It's more realistic to fighting anyway and would do the show and franchise more justice.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Arugela wrote:I still wonder what the point of this arc is. they introduce so much but seemingly so pointlessly. If they just introduce universes to eliminate in this arc it will be disappointing. It will definitely show they are not doing too much heavy long term writing. The type of writing I would hope they would do. I would love some more interesting development and not just fight to fight nonsense storytelling. This show should mature more instead of catering to new kids.. It's better to give kids good things to look up to than make thing at their level. It's just healthier and more intelligent. You don't have to just do it for the action. You can write deep creative meaningful stories to give the fighting background and purpose. It's more realistic to fighting anyway and would do the show and franchise more justice.
This is a good point and gets to my what I call other side of my opinion what Toei is doing with this arc and what is disappointing me.

Indeed I still feel Toei is setting up for more long-term development of these characters like I said in my posts just a few posts ago, so if you want to know that side of my opinion on all of this go their.

BUT........I have another side of my opinion that is still Really Disappointed and it is not aimed at any character or universe, but Toei's overall ideal of what they are even trying to do with the ToP arc.

IMO Brianne will never be a bad character, but Toei let allot of use down with her elimination but it was not just about Her or fandom for her, it was the continuing rolling down hill ideal and view that Toei is not making these other Universes reflect enough power to be a challenge, just sub-bosses at best. I think many have been having this feeling for awhile now with this arc and that is, why is Toei making U7 so Dominating while the other universes struggle to gain eliminations, hold onto their teams and overall project power to challenge fighters for U7 and U11?

It just feels like Toei forgot to put the Literal use of Power in their other Universes beside U7 and 3 members of U11. You have U6 with a few, but they are gone as well and gone earlier then expect, so it is a letdown their too. Their is still hope to see something form U4 or U3, but they are far underdeveloped characters and the feeling keeps going they maybe just more like sub-bosses like the others until we get to the main Boss Jiren and U11.

It is just a wicked waste of potential, variety, unique character variety of power and just plan dramatic storytelling.

You don't have the same sense of dread or drama other foes gave like is Z or Original DB to challenge our heroes of U7,it is just building false drama that many fans can see threw. I don't know if it is Toei being scared to make U7 look like they are struggling or they had now real plans for the other Universes or they have a bigger picture scope. Until this is all done in March 2018 we will not know.

But right now beside some fan theories, Toei just is not delivering on what they hyped for the other Universes and are Mono-Focus on U7 and U11. It just really uninspired and not great overall story planning, the lack of creativity that went to waste with these other universes is the sad part if Toei does not have good reasons by the end for future stories and usage of them.

Again I have hope their is a bigger picture to this and a training/exploration arc that comes next and I care more about character then power, but Power is Key to DB Lore and if you don't project at least a challenge in an Arc called The ToP, what was the point of teasing so much?! :eh:
My #1 in DB!

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:13 pm

The focus will always been on uni7. Doesnt matter what universes get introduced or what villains or foes or aliens or GoDs or w/e. They are there so uni7 can have more adventures. Dragon Ball/Z/Super/GT is basically the adventures of Goku and his friends.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:24 pm

buutenks wrote:The focus will always been on uni7. Doesnt matter what universes get introduced or what villains or foes or aliens or GoDs or w/e. They are there so uni7 can have more adventures. Dragon Ball/Z/Super/GT is basically the adventures of Goku and his friends.
And you just realized that after having watched these 117 episodes, mate?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 pm

This episode was amazing. As ridiculous as the fight with Ribrianne was, it was hilarious to watch and one of the best choreographed and animated fights in this tournament in my opinion. The reactions of the Zen-chans and the scene with Kaiohshin at the end cracked me up :lol: