Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:29 pm

irreality wrote:I know I don't comment much these days, but I remember back when Ribrianne was fighting Goku I made the comment that Ribrianne's storyline is weird because for all that talk of love, she doesn't seem to understand what love *is*. I hoped they were going somewhere with that, and they did! Ribrianne was defeated by someone who knows and understands true love -- for her family, for her husband, and her child. 18's relationships are true love, that isn't superficial or showy, and that wins out at the end of the day. And that is the lesson Brianne needed to learn -- she is still young and doesn't really understand love, beyond the friendships she has.

I'm glad that character had that arc, and it made 18 really shine in this tournament by having her defeat a built-up character instead of just fodder. I know a lot of people hate ribrianne, but I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the arc and its payoff. Made my fave look good and the story went where I thought it would. Not to mention all the callouts and subversions of the magical girl theme (having the magical girl become *less* stereotypically attractive, having her have an Akira/Tetsuo type transformation, having her not win the day...) In general I liked it a lot.
That was Very Well Said, from this Ribrianne Fan Thank You For that!
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 pm

Zagacious wrote:This episode pretty much confirmed for me they are not going to make good use of any of the remaining characters. It's just going to be a long grind of meaningless spars and such until we get to Jiren. i predicted this a long time ago but i'm actually incredibly surprised and disappointed they misused the characters this badly. As someone else said this means Ribrianne is probably around Cell's level of power if 18 can defeat her that easily, while she's injured nonetheless, and it was an effortless victory for 18. Ribrianne transforms and then is eliminated like 10 seconds later, there's not much else to say except what a waste from the character that was hyped sparring SSB Vegeta in the intro long ago.
I don't see what the problem is here. Of course most characters are just there for fights, it's obvious the focus of this tournament was only on a few characters. As long as get some good fights out of them, what does it matter? I find it bizarre people keep saying characters are, "wasted."

The only times you can say characters are wasted is most of those muscle bound fighters from Gowasu's universe, since they were literally treated like throwaway characters, or the other Universe 9 characters. You can't say that about the other fighters just because they lose if they get full episodes for their fights.

Taidow

Post by Taidow » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 pm

I really enjoyed this episode a ton. 17 and 18's little moment while he bandaged her up was so sweet. Being twins they work so well together and got the U2 ladies out. 18 loves Krillin and is so tsundere about it, its adorable. I love how at the end Ribrianne acknowledged there is love that she has not experienced and was not salty at 18's win. This episode is how you truly write 18 and how far she has progressed, unlike that time she berated Krillin for being caught off-guard and eliminated. She loves that nose-less baldy.
ブラストバーン > みずしゅ りけん
効果はバツグン

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:36 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
I agree with allot of this Well Said FortuneSSJ!

Brianne Deserved better but I as you said a I liked her character development and still love her character, she was a class act at the end.
I was actually thinking about you while watching this episode, because you're the biggest Ribrianne fan I know. :lol:
Personally I don't care about her character, but for the reasons I said above she deserved more. I'm okay with the screen time she got, but I hate how she didn't eliminate a major character.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Zagacious wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Zagacious wrote:This episode pretty much confirmed for me they are not going to make good use of any of the remaining characters. It's just going to be a long grind of meaningless spars and such until we get to Jiren. i predicted this a long time ago but i'm actually incredibly surprised and disappointed they misused the characters this badly. Ribrianne transforms and then is eliminated like 10 seconds later, there's not much else to say except what a waste from the character that was hyped sparring SSB Vegeta in the intro long ago.
When the hell was that ever hyped up. The max we saw Ribrianne fight was Super Saiyans.
The intro for many episodes during the beginning of the tournament. I know it's just an intro, but they're just asking for it to put something like that and make the character incredibly weak and ultimately accomplished nothing. Even if that wasn't there it's still an incredible waste of a character. They could have at least made her SSG level. The power she's shown to have now, she wouldn't even be able to make a scratch on base Vegeta.
The intro?

I don't think its ever been shown even in the intro's that she is anywhere near that level.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Even Zeno is making fun of the choreography. :lol:

It's great to finally have those magic girls out and was VERY disappointed with Rebrianna's transformations.

It was a smart move on Vegeta's part to try that with someone weak and not Toppo who.... WHERE IS TOPPO ? did they just decide to fight later ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:43 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
irreality wrote:I know I don't comment much these days, but I remember back when Ribrianne was fighting Goku I made the comment that Ribrianne's storyline is weird because for all that talk of love, she doesn't seem to understand what love *is*. I hoped they were going somewhere with that, and they did! Ribrianne was defeated by someone who knows and understands true love -- for her family, for her husband, and her child. 18's relationships are true love, that isn't superficial or showy, and that wins out at the end of the day. And that is the lesson Brianne needed to learn -- she is still young and doesn't really understand love, beyond the friendships she has.

I'm glad that character had that arc, and it made 18 really shine in this tournament by having her defeat a built-up character instead of just fodder. I know a lot of people hate ribrianne, but I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the arc and its payoff. Made my fave look good and the story went where I thought it would. Not to mention all the callouts and subversions of the magical girl theme (having the magical girl become *less* stereotypically attractive, having her have an Akira/Tetsuo type transformation, having her not win the day...) In general I liked it a lot.
I second this. Overall this was an awesome episode. I'm glad to see other characters get some spotlight now that Goku is pooped and found the payoff for Ribrianne's mini character arc to be refreshing. I think everyone but the males in U2 looked good in the episode. The action was well choreographed with great staging and logic to it. I loved the BGM for Ribrianne's transformation too. So many good moments in the episode, but my favorite had to be the Zeno's doing the Yacchaina fist on one another. I guess Toriyama does know what he's doing after all. I would love to see more of universe 2 and 6 after the tournament is done.

Next ep is looking good too. Those Namekians look like they have a nasty secret.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:48 pm

precita wrote:
HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I don't think anyone said this was going to have the worst staff on Super. People presumed it would be a solo episode, and it was for the most part. The scene that everyones been talking about, 18 eliminating Ribrianne, was unexpectedly handled by the probably the best animator working at Toei.

The direction was solid enough, everything flowed coherently as is usually expected from that director, and the solo animator for the episode delivered a lot of polished work.
You haven't been to Gaf Discord. The amount of bitching about the staff reached new level of crazy.
Link? I've been reading the Dragonball thread on ResetEra and while there's some complaining it's not that bad.
I am trying to get a valid link now.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

sintzu wrote:Even Zeno is making fun of the choreography. :lol:

It's great to finally have those magic girls out and was VERY disappointed with Rebrianna's transformations.

It was a smart move on Vegeta's part to try that with someone weak and not Toppo who.... WHERE IS TOPPO ? did they just decide to fight later ?
Kefla's whole beam spam separated those fights. He's with Dyspo and Jiren.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 pm

This episode was glorious! the worst character of the entire ToP is out, Ribrianne turned out to be such a big dissapointment... I was hoping she would improve a bit more in this episode, character wise, so that I may start to like her but no, this was absolutely terrible, the moment she started to make fun of Krilin and mock Nr18 for having married him, I was done with her, I find it funny how everyone tought her new form would look all cool and stuff, and it turned out that it was basically the same ugly and disgusting Ribrianne form she has but hundred times as big as normal, oh well, glad she is out.

Everyone wanting to go after Goku, they don't realize they are sealing their fate.

So Ribrianne basically helped Nr17 to take out Rozie :lol:

It would be really funny if every universe gets restored after the ToP ends, but U2 :lol: one can dream right?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:02 am

This episode was fine for me. I don't care that Ribrianne is gone or not. I think the new transformation was just a copy of Piccolo's giant form. This episode looked fine, and I do like how Super handled N.18 and 17. They could have worked together more but it was okay. I wonder if we are going to lose both Universe 2 and 6 due to what the NEP is saying and the title of next week. It was a middle of the road episode for me. Rating: 7 out of 10
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:05 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
I agree with allot of this Well Said FortuneSSJ!

Brianne Deserved better but I as you said a I liked her character development and still love her character, she was a class act at the end.
I was actually thinking about you while watching this episode, because you're the biggest Ribrianne fan I know. :lol:
Personally I don't care about her character, but for the reasons I said above she deserved more. I'm okay with the screen time she got, but I hate how she didn't eliminate a major character.
That is a Big Honor to be thought about when it comes to a character FortuneSSJ, Thanks!

I agree she had a good final few moments and showed how much of a class act she is, I wanted more though and for her to get her arc treated with more possibilities. But my hope is that now after this ToP thing is done that when all the universes are back they become Friends with the the U7 characters and they start to learn from each other.

Again they are all mostly heroes, their is not reason to dislike each other. Brianne is still young and she is part of the next generation, she is already impressive where she is, so she has a latter to climb just like Caulifla and Kale! It sets up for good possible story-arcs in the coming future!
My #1 in DB!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:11 am

There hasn't been a whole lot about super that has made me laugh out loud until 18 told supreme kai ''I'll kill you'' all serious haha she's one scary lady lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:13 am

BWri wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:

I second this. Overall this was an awesome episode. I'm glad to see other characters get some spotlight now that Goku is pooped and found the payoff for Ribrianne's mini character arc to be refreshing. I think everyone but the males in U2 looked good in the episode. The action was well choreographed with great staging and logic to it. I loved the BGM for Ribrianne's transformation too. So many good moments in the episode, but my favorite had to be the Zeno's doing the Yacchaina fist on one another. I guess Toriyama does know what he's doing after all. I would love to see more of universe 2 and 6 after the tournament is done.

Next ep is looking good too. Those Namekians look like they have a nasty secret.
You know while I am still sad Brianne did not go farther, reading these comments BWri and thinking about what you and others have said it was a decent arc for Brianne.

I think and hope U2 like U6 will be around/brought back after the ToP and I hope they become friends with U7 cause really they are all mostly good guys and gals. They can learn and gain allot from one another.

But most I think I get allot of something new now, just like Caulifla and Kale Brianne and the Girls are still Young, they are the Next Generation.

They have a latter to climb and hopefully if Toei stick with them after this arc Brianne and her friends will climb that latter.
My #1 in DB!

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:15 am

Solid episode. Not great action, almost zero choreography, and a little too much *useless* peanut gallery dialogue, but I somehow didn't care. The irony and emotion was excellent, and there were a couple outstanding moments as well.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:34 am

Ribrianne is sort of a hypocrite for putting down #18 and Krillin while pushing all this love philosophy down our throats. Good thing she's out now, been waiting 20 long episodes for that. 8)

Overall I thought this was a decent episode and with a few funny moments. I laughed when the Zeno's mimicked that fighting.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:45 am

I started laughing so hard when they were running up her arm. It was so wtf is going on here :clap:
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:58 am

My expectations were so low for this episode, the fact that it wasn't utter shit leaves me pretty content. Nothing too extraordinary, but it looked pretty decent for a Yashima solo episode (probably due to the great storyboard), and the ending bit was really fun. Nice character moment towards the beginning with 17 and 18 too, the kind of thing this tournament is sorely lacking so far.

Also, Kafla AND Ribrianne defeated back to back? Christmas came early.

In regards to next week, can they just go ONE episode without focusing on Goku? He's my favorite character by far, but even I'M getting sick of it at this point. Next week should've been entirely devoted to Piccolo and Gohan. No need to randomly have Goku in there fighting a bunch of jabronis we don't care about that we know aren't going to do anything to him. Let the man rest, Toei. Your ratings aren't going to tank because Goku wasn't on screen for a couple weeks.
Last edited by Artorias on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:59 am

Rib's final transformation is also parody of magical girls as Gaby pointed out here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MozillaVulpi ... 9373790208
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:19 am

Kek, resetera/neogaf is having a breakdown over this episode and the tournament in general. It's so weird to see places with completely different reactions to the eps or the TOP in general than here.