Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:21 am

Thank fucking god. Possibly the worst character ever created in the franchise, and finally eliminated.

The episode was fine for me, nothing great, and nothing too bad either. Even when Ribrianne transformed into her much prettier state, I hated her exactly the same. It just goes to show it's not a fat thing, it's just that she's a horrendous, horribly written character. Yes, I understand it's a gag about magical girls, I get it. It's like people forgot what execution means behind an idea though, because this execution was terrible. Almost every single sentence, every single one, had the word "love" in it, and she's obnoxious as hell as a result. None of her dialogue makes any sense, she might as well have been a robot from U3 that's stuck on repeat. It seems to me that people like the idea of a magical girl gag character, and ignore the actual execution as a result.

Truly this character could have been good even as a magical girl gag. It's very much possible had she actually been written well. Why did they even hype her up this much and give her this much screen time if she literally did NOTHING? For those who hated Kale and Caulifa, at least the scenes would pay off because they'd do something or eliminate someone, but Ribrianne, wow what a completely pointless character.

So in the NEP, I notice the last shot looks a lot like the shot of Piccolo getting killed by Nappa when he saved Gohan. Is this really going to be another "Piccolo saves Gohan" moment? Please TOEI, fucking enough already.

precita wrote:Kek, resetera/neogaf is having a breakdown over this episode and the tournament in general. It's so weird to see places with completely different reactions to the eps or the TOP in general than here.
A breakdown in what way? Like they're pissed off that Ribrianne got eliminated?
Last edited by Asura on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:24 am

Asura wrote: A breakdown in what way? Like they're pissed off that Ribrianne got eliminated?
They're complaining about the entire TOP in general, just read through the last batch of pages:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dragon ... 90/page-50

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:28 am

Not surprised about complaints about this arc. It's quite a mixed bag of highs and lows for me.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:30 am

precita wrote:
Asura wrote: A breakdown in what way? Like they're pissed off that Ribrianne got eliminated?
They're complaining about the entire TOP in general, just read through the last batch of pages:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dragon ... 90/page-50
I looked at the last 3 pages and maybe saw a total of 3 posts complaining about the arc, you sure you linked the right page?

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 am

Now you'de done it Toei (or Toriyama and Toyotaro, whatever), nothing in the entirety of the fictional world can reach this level of trashiness. The worst. EVER.
I'm just glad they ended this love whore and her two disgusting giants balls in this episode, Blue-tier my ass lol. Yeah, she will eliminate Vegeta lololol.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:32 am

So, anyone wanna take bets that the Namekians will get zero development before being eliminated? Surely you'd think being the last two characters of the second protagonist's universe would give them a lot of fleshing out, but remember for a sec that this is TOEI we're talking about here.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:45 am

Asura wrote:So, anyone wanna take bets that the Namekians will get zero development before being eliminated? Surely you'd think being the last two characters of the second protagonist's universe would give them a lot of fleshing out, but remember for a sec that this is TOEI we're talking about here.
From the NEP, it looks like they'll be some sort of flashback to their past, though that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be well developed.

SuperHumanGod

Post by SuperHumanGod » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:48 am

Asura wrote:Thank fucking god. Possibly the worst character ever created in the franchise, and finally eliminated.

The episode was fine for me, nothing great, and nothing too bad either. Even when Ribrianne transformed into her much prettier state, I hated her exactly the same. It just goes to show it's not a fat thing, it's just that she's a horrendous, horribly written character. Yes, I understand it's a gag about magical girls, I get it. It's like people forgot what execution means behind an idea though, because this execution was terrible. Almost every single sentence, every single one, had the word "love" in it, and she's obnoxious as hell as a result. None of her dialogue makes any sense, she might as well have been a robot from U3 that's stuck on repeat. It seems to me that people like the idea of a magical girl gag character, and ignore the actual execution as a result.

Truly this character could have been good even as a magical girl gag. It's very much possible had she actually been written well. Why did they even hype her up this much and give her this much screen time if she literally did NOTHING? For those who hated Kale and Caulifa, at least the scenes would pay off because they'd do something or eliminate someone, but Ribrianne, wow what a completely pointless character.

So in the NEP, I notice the last shot looks a lot like the shot of Piccolo getting killed by Nappa when he saved Gohan. Is this really going to be another "Piccolo saves Gohan" moment? Please TOEI, fucking enough already.

precita wrote:Kek, resetera/neogaf is having a breakdown over this episode and the tournament in general. It's so weird to see places with completely different reactions to the eps or the TOP in general than here.
I grew to like rib over the episodes. Now she is my least hated of the new female characters. A little bit of comedy goes far.

I also find it strange how you can hate rib and have a gif of kauli, who also gets a lot of hate and for good reason. She is a bland as all hell character simply there to have an op female saiyan.

And my sympathies to those who went on neogaf. the libtardation is strong there.
Jiren best new DBS character. Its done.
Fuck those awful U6 saiyans and their tingles too.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:15 am

SuperHumanGod wrote:
Asura wrote:Thank fucking god. Possibly the worst character ever created in the franchise, and finally eliminated.

I grew to like rib over the episodes. Now she is my least hated of the new female characters. A little bit of comedy goes far.

I also find it strange how you can hate rib and have a gif of kauli, who also gets a lot of hate and for good reason. She is a bland as all hell character simply there to have an op female saiyan.

And my sympathies to those who went on neogaf. the libtardation is strong there.
How is Caulifa bland? She's full of character. Not the most original character, mind you, but not boring either. Definitely nowhere near as annoying and cringe-inducing as Ribrianne. Terrible character. 2nd worst after Kale in this tournament, imo. Caulifa gets hate cause of her illogical power spikes, not so much the character herself.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:20 am

Best character in the ToP is out and so am I. It was fun while it lasted, but fuck it I wanted her to be in the top 10. They already pissed me off by eliminating Kale and Cauli in a single episode and now they got rid of Ribrainne. And, Rosie too. :x

But, I'm not going to complain too much. The episode itself was really good and kind of a surprise. The staff didn't look promising and I was really mad that magical girls aren't getting good treatment from the staff, but I was wrong. Oonishi Ryou comes in and delivers again. I'm 100% sure he likes Ribrainne and that's pretty awesome. Karasawa rose above the usual mediocrity and provided an overall pretty "lovely" storyboard. Yashima did fine as well. Not much to complain.

Oh, and Ribrainne turning into a giant Precure which is a pretty obvious reference to magical girls was a nice touch. I liked it a lot. Good stuff. I hope to see more in the future. Ribrainne <3.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:43 am

This was a waste of time episode...exactly what I wanted to see after a week's wait. Just great!

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:52 am

Two big takeaways from Episode 117:

1) Ribrianne is really annoying. I see Kale, Caulfila & Kefla get a lot of hate but Ribrianne doesn't get nearly the same despite being a worse character. She talks about love more than she actually fights. If you don't believe me then look at how many eliminations she got, I believe it's only 1. She was hyped up before the ToP but did nothing impressive at all. The worst part was when she hated on Krillin and Android 18's relationship. Real love isn't based on looks, so stfu. She tried to redeem herself at the end by saying she didn't know all forms of love but too late because you already were out.

2) Android 17 & 18's teamwork is such a joy to watch :clap: their coordinated attacks make things so interesting. Another great episode for them. Bonus points to Android 18 for knocking out that annoying Ribrianne
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:08 am

KingKaash wrote:Ribrianne is really annoying. I see Kale, Caulfila & Kefla get a lot of hate but Ribrianne doesn't get nearly the same despite being a worse character.
I think it's the opposite. They all get hate, but Ribrianne probably gets consistenly hated more. At least you can find plenty of people that like the saiyan girls, while I can't say the same for Ribrianne, even if the saiyan girls hogged the spotlight for a whole month while Ribrianne has been absent for a while.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Android350

Post by Android350 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:12 am

samuraix123 wrote:There hasn't been a whole lot about super that has made me laugh out loud until 18 told supreme kai ''I'll kill you'' all serious haha she's one scary lady lol

Loved this episode (duh), but indeed, that part cracked me up too :clap:

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:13 am

Torturephile wrote:
KingKaash wrote:Ribrianne is really annoying. I see Kale, Caulfila & Kefla get a lot of hate but Ribrianne doesn't get nearly the same despite being a worse character.
I think it's the opposite. They all get hate, but Ribrianne probably gets consistenly hated more. At least you can find plenty of people that like the saiyan girls, while I can't say the same for Ribrianne, even if the saiyan girls hogged the spotlight for a whole month while Ribrianne has been absent for a while.
I agree that the Saiyan girls got way more screentime than Ribrianne. But at least they used their screentime to fight. Ribrianne talks a bunch but didn't back it up at all. At first she was ok to me but as time went on she didn't have much substance.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:16 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Best character in the ToP is out and so am I. It was fun while it lasted, but fuck it I wanted her to be in the top 10. They already pissed me off by eliminating Kale and Cauli in a single episode and now they got rid of Ribrainne. And, Rosie too. :x
Caulifla and Kale were involved in the longest fight of the ToP and the second longest fight of the show. The arc grinded to a halt to follow their fight and struggle. Saying your angry they got eliminated in a single episode(it was four) is like saying your angry that it only took 19 episodes for Goku to defeat Freeza and it should have been longer.

Android350

Post by Android350 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:26 am

The brother and sister moment was really good (and about time).
Will the injury possibly fade away? Comparable to other fighters regaining stamina/strength/health after nearly having been torn to pieces. Imho it is an option. :idea:

Loved the storyline they wrote for 18. What was even better is that it gave her a powerboost against such an annoying character. 8)
Cherry on top she knocked Ribrianne off AND had a hilarious moment right after Shin couldn't shut his mouth about the lovey dovey stuff... :clap: :lol:

I hope we'll see more of 18 and 17 like this in coming episodes.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:35 am

KingKaash wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
I agree that the Saiyan girls got way more screentime than Ribrianne. But at least they used their screentime to fight. Ribrianne talks a bunch but didn't back it up at all. At first she was ok to me but as time went on she didn't have much substance.
Sums up my thoughts on Ribrianne. For the crap the saiyan girls get, they wasted no time and came close to giving Goku a hard time. Ribrianne, despite the focus she got until she went missing, only took out one effeminate fodder guy and kept Goku from dealing with important events like helping Roshi against Frost.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:37 am

A really well done episode this week.

17 & 18 team work was great, the scene with 17 patching up his sisters leg and talking about their families was great, and 18 breaking out of Mega Ribrianne grip and going all Saitama on her after thinking of her family, and seeing Krillin freak out trying to get to her was one of my favorite scenes in not only this arc, but this series.

I also liked that Brianne/Ribrianne seemed like she gained some character development in her loss to 18. Brianne seemed really naive and egotistical, but she took her lost well and realized that she doesn't need to spread "love" across the universes, instead she wants to learn the different kinds of "love" they may have. I appreciate her character seemingly growing, unlike Caulifla who was just still talking trash in defeat.

U7 dominating the tournament still sucks however overall, and I see both U2 and U6 getting erased next week.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:43 am

all I thought of by the end game

https://youtu.be/HcKoAgLd6NQ?t=6m33s