Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Scorpio Kardia wrote:The word "love" was used over 50 times in this episode alone. Just something to think about. For that reason alone I'm glad she's out.
Seriously. People can not use sexism as an excuse, they can't even use magical girl gag as an excuse either, this was just poorly executed and obnoxious all around. The gag was so in your face like "HEY, THEY'RE CONSTANTLY TALKING ABOUT LOVE BECAUSE THEY'RE MAGICAL GIRLS DO YOU GET IT YET DO YOU GET IT LETS SAY IT A FEW MORE TIMES JUST SO YOU GET THE JOKE DO YOU GET IT YET DONT WORRY WE'LL REMIND YOU EVERY TIME THE CHARACTER IS ON SCREEN SO YOU DONT FORGET THE JOKE. PLEASE LAUGH."

Gags often require a sense of subtlety, this had none.

One could almost say that Ribrianne's fat was the best thing about her because at least it wasn't called attention to. The gag is that she's a pretty girl that transforms into an ugly fat balloon. They don't bring it up every scene about how ugly she is though or how pretty she used to look. Why couldn't this have been applied to her dialogue as well? Would have made for a much more tolerable character.

User avatar
Scorpio Kardia
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:08 pm
Location: Space

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Scorpio Kardia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Asura wrote:
Scorpio Kardia wrote:The word "love" was used over 50 times in this episode alone. Just something to think about. For that reason alone I'm glad she's out.
Seriously. People can not use sexism as an excuse, they can't even use magical girl gag as an excuse either, this was just poorly executed and obnoxious all around. The gag was so in your face like "HEY, THEY'RE CONSTANTLY TALKING ABOUT LOVE BECAUSE THEY'RE MAGICAL GIRLS DO YOU GET IT YET DO YOU GET IT LETS SAY IT A FEW MORE TIMES JUST SO YOU GET THE JOKE DO YOU GET IT YET DONT WORRY WE'LL REMIND YOU EVERY TIME THE CHARACTER IS ON SCREEN SO YOU DONT FORGET THE JOKE. PLEASE LAUGH."

Gags often require a sense of subtlety, this had none.

One could almost say that Ribrianne's fat was the best thing about her because at least it wasn't called attention to. The gag is that she's a pretty girl that transforms into an ugly fat balloon. They don't bring it up every scene about how ugly she is though or how pretty she used to look. Why couldn't this have been applied to her dialogue as well? Would have made for a much more tolerable character.
Yup but in the dragon ball internet community (including in this forum) making her fat only gave people more reasons to hate her, which is well sad. I agree with you that making her fat, regardless of the reason, was probably the best thing about her for me. Certainly it was meant has a gag, I don't think there was any type of social commentary intented with it, I don't think the writers have that much foresight. But well at least it was different.

User avatar
RedHeat
Regular
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by RedHeat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Shame, I wanted to kiss Ribrianne.
Feels over Reals.

User avatar
Whatever
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Whatever » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:41 pm

RedHeat wrote:Shame, I wanted to kiss Ribrianne.
You still have time,quickly before she is erased next episode,you only have 1 week left.

User avatar
Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6570
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:51 pm

RedHeat wrote:Shame, I wanted to kiss Ribrianne.
....B-base right?
Scorpio Kardia wrote:The word "love" was used over 50 times in this episode alone. Just something to think about. For that reason alone I'm glad she's out.
Is that a real count?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21006
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Scorpio Kardia wrote:The word "love" was used over 50 times in this episode alone. Just something to think about. For that reason alone I'm glad she's out.
Is that a real count?
If it is real, I wouldn't be shocked.

User avatar
lord turbo
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by lord turbo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank the heavens Ribrianne if finally out, she was a poorly executed gag MG thay quickly grew staled and overstayed her welcome almost immediately, I won't miss her shallow trite child like dialogue and antics one bit. One thing I liked about this episode was the interaction between 17 and 18. Its always nice to see siblings acting like actual siblings and supporting each other, the only thing I found particular off was 18 threaten Shin, that felt forced, contrived, anf out of place. Not the best episode, more 4/10 to 5/10, so middle of the road.

Hopefully the U6 namekians do something that is deemed entertaining and worth my viewing pleasure, just anything worthy of note, even if they will be out and done in 1 episode, potentially 2 at the most.
Last edited by lord turbo on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before one may reach Heaven, they must endure Hell first. Only then will you be able to attain serenity beyond a sea of strife." & "Fear is not a sign of cowardice but the recognition of danger. Those who ignore this basic emotion do so out of vanity and are thus quelled before victory." - Roy Teal Jr.

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Asura wrote:
Scorpio Kardia wrote:The word "love" was used over 50 times in this episode alone. Just something to think about. For that reason alone I'm glad she's out.
Seriously. People can not use sexism as an excuse, they can't even use magical girl gag as an excuse either, this was just poorly executed and obnoxious all around. The gag was so in your face like "HEY, THEY'RE CONSTANTLY TALKING ABOUT LOVE BECAUSE THEY'RE MAGICAL GIRLS DO YOU GET IT YET DO YOU GET IT LETS SAY IT A FEW MORE TIMES JUST SO YOU GET THE JOKE DO YOU GET IT YET DONT WORRY WE'LL REMIND YOU EVERY TIME THE CHARACTER IS ON SCREEN SO YOU DONT FORGET THE JOKE. PLEASE LAUGH."

Gags often require a sense of subtlety, this had none.

One could almost say that Ribrianne's fat was the best thing about her because at least it wasn't called attention to. The gag is that she's a pretty girl that transforms into an ugly fat balloon. They don't bring it up every scene about how ugly she is though or how pretty she used to look. Why couldn't this have been applied to her dialogue as well? Would have made for a much more tolerable character.
The Jokes, Using the word love allot and all, honestly that is just Classic Dragon Ball IMO. Dragon Ball was never suttle with its humor, it was always in your face and trying to be that way. I have no problem with it and I think we need to just calm down about it and take if for the funny it was meant to be. I think it was hard to just work in the ToP cause many for good or not wanted a Down right All serious tone to the fight, but we have been dis-pointed in all teams for showing to much lightheartedness and humor. It does grind at us over that, which makes sense.

But we let ourselves laugh abit it does become funny and fun.

The more I review over 117 the more I start to get what Toei was going for with Brianne and more I think Fans seem to be taking her themes to Seriously in the wrong ways.

After reviewing and thinking over the last few shows her her, Brianne is just a Youngster, a young girl starting at by all accounts we can see. Her ideals are pure, but she has allot to learn, she is a nice ideal of love but one not matured enough threw the years of Wisdom we have seen from the U7 crew, it is like going back as seeing the old team of Dragon Ball when their where still maturing threw that series. Brianne and also as well Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, Sanka Ku and Su Roas are the New Generation, the New Mutants, the ones with Great Gifts that need guidance from the older generation, aka U7 and U11 to say.

I think what Toei was showing was display that they have great power, skill and ideals, but they are still young, showing sense of immaturity and need to learn what more in-depth meanings of love and power are really, not what they grew on. The ideal of when you grow-up you leave childish things behind and mature.

This is why I think many fans and even myself to a degree got the view of Brianne wrong and taken her more seriously then was the intent. We keep trying to make her Wonder Woman, the Wonder Woman that has had Years and Years with the Justice League continuity behind her. But she is still just an out of training new Amazon that just got out of the beginning leagues.

This is not head-canon or hope, it is the observation I have come to conclude about her character and the others and what I think what a certain group of fighters in the ToP where about. The showcasing of the young to the previous season generation. I think the next arc will be the teaching of that next generation, we already have teases for Goku and Vegeta to go to U6 to see and maybe train the saiyans, why not have it work with others like the Fireballs and more?

Again this is my theory and view at this point about this that seems to be becoming more clearer now. It might be where we are heading with DBS and what Toei is been trying to get across for awhile but only bloomed in these past few episodes.
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:50 pm

We can't just let ourselves laugh at something that isn't funny. Maybe it was funny the first time, sure, but Ribrianne is like that kid on the playground who trips over her shoelaces and everyone laughs cause it's funny and so to get more of their positive attention she keeps pretending to trip over her shoelaces over and over and over again until no one is laughing anymore. While that's all happening, the school janitor is beating a dead horse into the ground with a shovel next to her to further get the point across.

I understand that you like Ribrianne, CJStriker, because she's a magical girl, but surely you must think that this character could have been written A LOT better, no? You even admitted yourself TOEI wasted her character. I think you like the concept of Ribrianne and the idea behind the gag which is clouding your overall view of how the concept and the gag actually played out during the episodes.

It's like if Cell had to include the word "perfect" into literally every single sentence after he obtains his perfect form. Do you know how annoying that would be?

User avatar
lord turbo
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by lord turbo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:08 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:The Jokes, Using the word love allot and all, honestly that is just Classic Dragon Ball IMO. Dragon Ball was never suttle with its humor, it was always in your face and trying to be that way. I have no problem with it and I think we need to just calm down about it and take if for the funny it was meant to be. I think it was hard to just work in the ToP cause many for good or not wanted a Down right All serious tone to the fight, but we have been dis-pointed in all teams for showing to much lightheartedness and humor. It does grind at us over that, which makes sense.
I disagree, classic DB's humor was more subdued and not blatantly and roughly in your face 24/7. Toriyama would make maybe 1 or 2 gags and be done with it, he didn't beat the hell out of a dead horse with a sledge hammer until there was nothing but paste left. Ribrianne was closer to lazy half-effort American comedy films (Daddy's home/Bad Moms/21 & over/etc) that beat you excessively over the head with the same joke over and over hoping you might get a chuckle. That's kind of where DBS' anime is at, ruining gags by being overly long and drawn out about it to the point you lose interest and wonder when its going to end.

Ribrianne is essentially a decent 3-5 minute SNL skit that became awful when stretched to a 2 hour length feature film.
"Before one may reach Heaven, they must endure Hell first. Only then will you be able to attain serenity beyond a sea of strife." & "Fear is not a sign of cowardice but the recognition of danger. Those who ignore this basic emotion do so out of vanity and are thus quelled before victory." - Roy Teal Jr.

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by nato25 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:12 pm

CJ striker still one of the few players fighting by ribrianne. I'm not saying this to change your mind but more to just agree with others and add more to it.

This episode was the worst thing to happen to ribrianne characters. Her criticising Krillin and 18's love absolutely undermined her entire character, making her seem very shallow and superficial. Someone earlier made a great comment how real love won out over fake love and how she basically doesnt walk the walk. Yeah she talks about love 'a lot' but rarely (if ever) did i see her jump in to help her teammates or actually show any acts of love.

Her final line was really great about saying maybe theres different kinds of love because it showed some much needed character development, but at the cost of basically ruining the character earlier in the episode.

For a character that had so much screen time the only parts I ever laughed at or found interesting with her was 17 blasting them during the transformation (which was unfortunately ruined by repeated animation not even sped up), her ambition to become a god of love and her final line. I can only come to the conclusion that the character was a failure overall, 80% due to her dialogue and 20% due to her not showing acts of love.

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Asura wrote:We can't just let ourselves laugh at something that isn't funny. Maybe it was funny the first time, sure, but Ribrianne is like that kid on the playground who trips over her shoelaces and everyone laughs cause it's funny and so to get more of their positive attention she keeps pretending to trip over her shoelaces over and over and over again until no one is laughing anymore. While that's all happening, the school janitor is beating a dead horse into the ground with a shovel next to her to further get the point across.

I understand that you like Ribrianne, CJStriker, because she's a magical girl, but surely you must think that this character could have been written A LOT better, no? You even admitted yourself TOEI wasted her character. I think you like the concept of Ribrianne and the idea behind the gag which is clouding your overall view of how the concept and the gag actually played out during the episodes.

It's like if Cell had to include the word "perfect" into literally every single sentence after he obtains his perfect form. Do you know how annoying that would be?
Indeed Thanks for the Respect Asura and My Fandom and I give Respect back to you as well! :thumbup:

But indeed I have to be Truthful it never bothered me, I love the Silliness, Saying of the word love and it never personally bothered me. I get why it was for others, that is ok, I just don't think it should be viewed as a Death-nail to her character. I don't like somethings about other characters in DB that really annoy me too, BUT I never bring them up cause I know they really are not important in the long-run and I don't like doing that to characters cause I know others like them. Constructive thought on making them better yes, but that is about it.

Honestly I worked my life to never be clouded nor to let such things get in the way to cloud my Critical Thought. It is just hard to truly express that on a Forum Board cause I am Much Better at it in Person talking then typing it, I am a veteran poster granted but it always has held me back. Getting back, Yea she could have been written better but if it was to just please masses that where just negative on her to conform to their views which where many different views, No I don't want that kind of writing cause it would kill the character to conform to popular demand. That is wash-down her to conform, I don't like conformity.

What Toei needed to do was show maybe more gradual seriousness by her character but I always felt it was their to begin with within the silly parts as well and I found that creative, I did not need another Vegeta walking around to do that. They needed to also deliver on her Power Arc and Honor the power she showed at the start, but for whatever reason they pulled on that in the most lazy, cop-out ways that IMO is the final nail in the coffin of Power Scaling. Honestly it is a dead art IMO and should not be taken seriously cause Toei does not really care, they don't follow their own power-scaling only rule of cool or what is needed to get the job done/drama going.

But now Maybe I was asking for another story, instead Toei gave me another and I now believe Toei was not telling me about a Seasoned Brianne, but a New Girl on the Block that has allot to learn about her own ideals of love and that of where true love comes from.

Their is nothing wrong with that kind of story, just many get grinned over the execution of how they presented it for Brianne, they don't like that kind of style. That is ok not to like it, but Brianne will never and should never conform to others ideals of what makes a character it, she needs to be her own unique thing like all other characters in all mediums in the past and to come. All characters cannot be the same cutout, I have lately been saying to fans both here and in Comics you need to open your mind to new concepts both of story and of characters, cause when you do that, let down your ways of what makes traditional execution of those concepts, then you world opens up and it is pretty grand! :idea:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:35 pm

nato25 wrote:CJ striker still one of the few players fighting by ribrianne. I'm not saying this to change your mind but more to just agree with others and add more to it.

This episode was the worst thing to happen to ribrianne characters. Her criticising Krillin and 18's love absolutely undermined her entire character, making her seem very shallow and superficial. Someone earlier made a great comment how real love won out over fake love and how she basically doesnt walk the walk. Yeah she talks about love 'a lot' but rarely (if ever) did i see her jump in to help her teammates or actually show any acts of love.

Her final line was really great about saying maybe theres different kinds of love because it showed some much needed character development, but at the cost of basically ruining the character earlier in the episode.

For a character that had so much screen time the only parts I ever laughed at or found interesting with her was 17 blasting them during the transformation (which was unfortunately ruined by repeated animation not even sped up), her ambition to become a god of love and her final line. I can only come to the conclusion that the character was a failure overall, 80% due to her dialogue and 20% due to her not showing acts of love.
I agree where I feel agreement is validated to our views but I try to agree and find common ground whenever I can Nato25 , but I also give respect to different points of view as well cause we will never always agree on everything and that is just the way things are at times.

Honestly it would ruin her character if not for the ending and that is key in this story Brianne's arc in this.

It is the full circle of her character, it was not Fake Love, just a Love she thought was the most important both in her world and by her experience in life up that that point in her young life. Toei just basic made sense of it all by the end of the episode, she is young and has allot to learn. Their is not shame or ruin in a character arc like that. If she was a Seasoned Lady and did not come to that view, yea I can see that being valued, but she DID admit 18 and Krillian where a Bigger love and that she had allot to learn herself.

That is the showing a New Kid just learning, that is how all new warriors are, they still have allot to learn and that is what Toei IMO was getting across to us about Brianne and all the New Generation of Fighters like Sank Ka, Su Ros, Cabba, Kale and Caulifla. They are going to be headstrong and pretty sure of themselves, they are prone to believing to much of their own being, but that is what makes them young and need wisdom to guide them. The are full of possibilities and the fact that in the lost she learned the bigger and more real way shows maturity in Brianne allot more that I think we need to give her credit for.

She admitting she was wrong and seem to want to better herself by it, that is a good character arc and a good new starting point for her.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by gofishus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Scorpio Kardia wrote:
Asura wrote:
Scorpio Kardia wrote:The word "love" was used over 50 times in this episode alone. Just something to think about. For that reason alone I'm glad she's out.
Seriously. People can not use sexism as an excuse, they can't even use magical girl gag as an excuse either, this was just poorly executed and obnoxious all around. The gag was so in your face like "HEY, THEY'RE CONSTANTLY TALKING ABOUT LOVE BECAUSE THEY'RE MAGICAL GIRLS DO YOU GET IT YET DO YOU GET IT LETS SAY IT A FEW MORE TIMES JUST SO YOU GET THE JOKE DO YOU GET IT YET DONT WORRY WE'LL REMIND YOU EVERY TIME THE CHARACTER IS ON SCREEN SO YOU DONT FORGET THE JOKE. PLEASE LAUGH."

Gags often require a sense of subtlety, this had none.

One could almost say that Ribrianne's fat was the best thing about her because at least it wasn't called attention to. The gag is that she's a pretty girl that transforms into an ugly fat balloon. They don't bring it up every scene about how ugly she is though or how pretty she used to look. Why couldn't this have been applied to her dialogue as well? Would have made for a much more tolerable character.
Yup but in the dragon ball internet community (including in this forum) making her fat only gave people more reasons to hate her, which is well sad. I agree with you that making her fat, regardless of the reason, was probably the best thing about her for me. Certainly it was meant has a gag, I don't think there was any type of social commentary intented with it, I don't think the writers have that much foresight. But well at least it was different.
I'm just going to be blunt with this: if you are fat in today's society and age, you are not going to be as well liked or respected as someone who is slim (everything else equal). Call it body shaming or whatever you want but unless its a genetic disorder or medical condition that prevents them from excercising, those people should take care of their bodies better.

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:43 pm

lord turbo wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:The Jokes, Using the word love allot and all, honestly that is just Classic Dragon Ball IMO. Dragon Ball was never suttle with its humor, it was always in your face and trying to be that way. I have no problem with it and I think we need to just calm down about it and take if for the funny it was meant to be. I think it was hard to just work in the ToP cause many for good or not wanted a Down right All serious tone to the fight, but we have been dis-pointed in all teams for showing to much lightheartedness and humor. It does grind at us over that, which makes sense.
I disagree, classic DB's humor was more subdued and not blatantly and roughly in your face 24/7. Toriyama would make maybe 1 or 2 gags and be done with it, he didn't beat the hell out of a dead horse with a sledge hammer until there was nothing but paste left. Ribrianne was closer to lazy half-effort American comedy films (Daddy's home/Bad Moms/21 & over/etc) that beat you excessively over the head with the same joke over and over hoping you might get a chuckle. That's kind of where DBS' anime is at, ruining gags by being overly long and drawn out about it to the point you lose interest and wonder when its going to end.

Ribrianne is essentially a decent 3-5 minute SNL skit that became awful when stretched to a 2 hour length feature film.
I think that is the fine that you have that view Dragon Ball and feel that is how it came across. I always saw it different and had a different experience with it with what I saw and it felt less subdued. But that is just how fans are, we end up seeing the same show in a different way, nothing much wrong with that. That is why the Jokes never bothered me with Brianne cause I like them, could they be calm down abit yes, but I rather not conform her to just meet a mass standard.

It is just how it is, I meet other fans that like her Theme and Jokey Humor, so it just how unique fandom is going to be, some will like something and other will not, that is just how it is.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21006
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Ribrianne: "Is that guy your husband? He's not beautiful. He doesn't have a nose."

I don't know why, but that made me laugh more than it should have.

User avatar
PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Ribrianne: "Is that guy your husband? He's not beautiful. He doesn't have a nose."

I don't know why, but that made me laugh more than it should have.
The fact that Krillin's lack of a nose was a gag in the first place probably helps. Also, the camera clearly focuses on his shiny bald head as well :lol:

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5363
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Asura wrote: It's like if Cell had to include the word "perfect" into literally every single sentence after he obtains his perfect form. Do you know how annoying that would be?
And ironically that's how a lot of people remember him to be.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5144
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:24 pm

The entire concept of Ribrianne is hilarious, but the execution was so, so bad. This is the sort of character that severely overstayed her welcome and, as lord turbo mentioned, beat a dead horse with the same tired joke over and over. Literally all her lines included "love" in them, and I swear she's had more screen time than Vegeta. Just a cringe-inducing character because they took what should have been a gag, and took the entire concept and character seriously enough to reward her with an abundance of scenes and focused episodes.

Ribrianne should have been a one-off, gags galore character that was immediately eliminated:
>Sailor Moon transformation interrupted once midway
>Sailor Moon transformation executed, only to reveal she turned fat instead.
>Should have been out of shape and easily taken out.

^ That should have been it. A parody of magical girls, 10-15 minutes of screentime max. Funny sequence. And done. No more Ribrianne.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:30 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:The entire concept of Ribrianne is hilarious, but the execution was so, so bad. This is the sort of character that severely overstayed her welcome and, as lord turbo mentioned, beat a dead horse with the same tired joke over and over. Literally all her lines included "love" in them, and I swear she's had more screen time than Vegeta. Just a cringe-inducing character because they took what should have been a gag, and took the entire concept and character seriously enough to reward her with an abundance of scenes and focused episodes.

Ribrianne should have been a one-off, gags galore character that was immediately eliminated:
>Sailor Moon transformation interrupted once midway
>Sailor Moon transformation executed, only to reveal she turned fat instead.
>Should have been out of shape and easily taken out.

^ That should have been it. A parody of magical girls, 10-15 minutes of screentime max. Funny sequence. And done. No more Ribrianne.
The Concept had silliness to it and that was good but I think also it was an coming of age and maturity story. I think the truth behind a decent deal of Toei's Writing of these new characters, young ones like Brianne, Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, Sanka Ku and Su Roas is that they are the New Generation, the New Mutants, the ones with Great Gifts that need guidance from the older generation, aka U7 and U11 to say.

They would not have gotten that if they where one-off or just for a quick gimmick, I think we as fans including me saw one thing about them but Toei by the last few episodes was getting at something entirely else and it was pretty interesting when they got Done.

Brianne showed class, maturity and understand their is more ideals of love out their then her own already known ones, not that hers are bad just their are better ones out their and that is the whole ideal of a coming of age story, learning more mature and solid ideals in life, becoming more mature and a more seasoned person.

I think this might be a major point in the next arc if Toei is going down this road.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Post Reply