Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yomi
Regular

Re: Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by Yomi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 am

So people last week were worried that Beerus was going to react in a comedic way,
and I remember there was a BIG spat about Piccolo blocking an attack in front of Gohan.

Like, pages upon pages upon paragraphs about things that eventually didn't even happen.
:clap:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:43 am

SonReggie wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
sintzu wrote:Not very good to be honest, especially the ending with those girls chasing the Namakians. You're about to get erased yet still treating it like a game
I don't see that as a bad thing, it only makes the scene more bittersweet. They've accepted their fate, and they're fine with it because they all did everything that they could; so instead of making their last moments one of sadness, it's one of fond recollection. They didn't win, but they got pretty damn close. It's the perfect way to bow out. It's like those "It was an honor, gentleman" in war movies. Actually, it makes me think of the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth where the characters stand around jabbing at each other a bit as they realize that they're fucked.
Agreed - and pleased I am not the only one who thought of Blackadder where this was concerned!
"Oh, there's a nasty splinter on that ladder, sir. A bloke could hurt himself on that!"
With Blackadder, the comedy is what made that scene so emotionally powerful, it's a cruel emotional juxtaposition.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 am

I also didn't notice this in the initial watch, but in the crowd of people who were cheering on Universe 2 and were watching the Tournament Of Power just before they got erased, in the middle of crowd there were same two transvestites that Ribiranne attacked with her Pretty Canon back in Episode 91.

Nice callback.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Saonel and Pirina did not fuse with every Namekian on their planet just the ones that volunteered.
it does seem like they fused with a metric tonne of them though, I'm sure you could count at least 100 in the ghostly images for each one

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:52 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Saonel and Pirina did not fuse with every Namekian on their planet just the ones that volunteered.
it does seem like they fused with a metric tonne of them though, I'm sure you could count at least 100 in the ghostly images for each one
There are probably a lot more Namekians in Universe 6 then in Universe 7 as we have to assume as of right now they never had any problems just like how the Universe 6 Saiyans did not have the problems that Universe 7 Saiyans had.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I also didn't notice this in the initial watch, but in the crowd of people who were cheering on Universe 2 and were watching the Tournament Of Power just before they got erased, in the middle of crowd there were same two transvestites that Ribiranne attacked with her Pretty Canon back in Episode 91.

Nice callback.
I thought they were killed by Ribrianne.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 am

So what Beerus meant with "Say something..." exactly?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 am

Noah wrote:So what Beerus meant with "Say something..." exactly?
I'm guessing he wanted final words.
:clap:

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:12 am

Michsi wrote:I just read a comment on twitter and it reminded me too: what happened to that bit where Freeza's was supposedly upset that Goku interefered with his fun. Also, it would seem the title for the next episode has been changed....
The preview said the opposite of what happened. Freeza was happy that Goku eliminated U2. Piccolo didn't come up with a plan, instead it was Gohan
The preview either got stuff wrong by accident or purposely mislead
Most likely was talking to Whis, since Whis was constantly egging him on about how he really cared for Champa. So when he actually showed concern, he was waiting for Whis to make fun of him with the usual "something wrong Beerus-sama" teasing
Last edited by OLKv3 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:13 am

majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I also didn't notice this in the initial watch, but in the crowd of people who were cheering on Universe 2 and were watching the Tournament Of Power just before they got erased, in the middle of crowd there were same two transvestites that Ribiranne attacked with her Pretty Canon back in Episode 91.

Nice callback.
Looks like they survived.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am

Yomi wrote:
I'm guessing he wanted final words.
This was my thought too. My only other thought was he wanted someone to break the sad awkward silence but the first idea makes more sense.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Nice callback.
Looks like they survived.
They got erasured in the end so it doesn't matter.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Michsi wrote:I just read a comment on twitter and it reminded me too: what happened to that bit where Freeza's was supposedly upset that Goku interefered with his fun. Also, it would seem the title for the next episode has been changed....
The preview said the opposite of what happened. Freeza was happy that Goku eliminated U2. Piccolo didn't come up with a plan, instead it was Gohan
I've been saying this time and time again: Never put any substantial stock into an episode preview summary. Half of the time they're full of shit. Dragon Ball Super has been notoriously misleading with their episode previews on many occasions, that I'm shocked that people still take every word provided in them literally.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am

I can't be the only one who is bothered by how onesided this Tournament has been lately. Universe 7's Team is just steamrolling everyone else. It doesn't feel like a 'desperate fight for survival', because there is literally no one left, aside from Jiren, that could really hinder Universe 7. Universe 7 needs to start losing fighters, right now it's -boring-. I've known since last week that Universe 7 would win against Universe 2's fodder. Hopefully, Universe 4 will take out several members of Universe 7 in future episodes to add tension to the tournament and even the scales between the 4 remaining universes.

The Future Trunks arc handled this way better, with Goku and friends losing several times against Zamasu and having to retreat thrice for their lives. -That- felt like an uphill battle.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am

I also wanted to point out that I loved the moment when Kami and Nami appeared in Piccolo's subconscious and Kami pointed towards Gohan protecting Piccolo and it made Piccolo realise that he needed the support Gohan. Extra bonus points for Kami not saying anything in that moment. Less truly can be more.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am

I think he was telling himself to say something about losing his brother but couldn't find the right words. Or maybe he was waiting for goodbye or something from Champa.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:42 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
I've been saying this time and time again: Never put any substantial stock into an episode preview summary. Half of the time they're full of shit. Dragon Ball Super has been notoriously misleading with their episode previews on many occasions, that I'm shocked that people still take every word provided in them literally.
They've been misleading before but dang I didn't expect them to flat out lie this hard.

If I'm correct, this misinformation only started this arc right ?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 am

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: The preview said the opposite of what happened. Freeza was happy that Goku eliminated U2. Piccolo didn't come up with a plan, instead it was Gohan
They've been misleading before but dang I didn't expect them to flat out lie this hard.

If I'm correct, this misinformation only started this arc right ?
Nah. This bullshitting of certain aspects of the episode preview summaries has been a recurring theme since the Champa arc. It's only since the Universal Survival arc, and especially since the Tournament Of Power started, that they've really ramped up the red herrings.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 am

Legion wrote:
I think he was telling himself to say something about losing his brother but couldn't find the right words. Or maybe he was waiting for goodbye or something from Champa.
I feel like it was directed at both himself and Champa. Like he wanted to say something but couldn't get the words to come out, and he wanted Champa to say something too.

That said I liked Champa's 'farewell' to Beerus. I don't know if it was intended that way but it seemed right that Beerus would be left with an image of the same old Champa as his last memory (as far as he knows) of his brother.

I also loved Vados quickly sliding down the bench to sit with Whis and the other U7 contingent. Foreshadowing? :lol: Here's hoping she chimes in with some color commentary in the following weeks.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:14 am

An idea I noticed.

We KNOW Universe 7 will survive in some capacity to the end.

The erasure of the Universes we've seen thus far have been quite bittersweet and/or somber, and really sets the drama. Maybe this arc isn't meant to be a struggle for survival for the series' main Universe, but instead that of ALL THE OTHERS, framed as Universe 7 being the underdogs. We get to know these characters from these other Universes, for better or for worse, and see them try to take down Universe 7, the one clearly in the lead at this point, only to eventually fall to them as well, thus making us sympathize with their untimely demise.

It's probably not the written intent, but I find the notion the stakes being a reversal of the norm to be an intriguing one nonetheless.