Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by LightBing » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:55 am

Artorias wrote:I've noticed that whenever Super attempts to inject "strategy" into the fighting, it almost always flops. Nearly every "strategic" battle just comes off as bare-minimum, lazy, nothing content. It's either A) The gimmick isn't that threatening and is defeated almost immediately, or B) The characters just scream loudly and "power through" a cool ability, like Jiren with Hit's time trap.

The show is at it's best when it just commits to full-on, no-gimmick bombastic fights.
Kokonoe wrote:Man, the last episode and this current episode really have stepped up the artwork and animation. Also the fights are having much more effort and thought put into them.

Really enjoyed this episode as well as the previous one.
....I could not disagree more with this. This might've been the single WORST animated episode of this entire tournament. I'm sorry, but putting this episode's animation in the same tier as last weeks is just...insane to say the least. They aren't even close in visual quality.
I don't agree there's quite a few decent to good strategy episodes. Even this one the strategy worked out and was deserved. Piccolo was knock out because he was correctly led to think it was just another invisible man, confusion was set in. Quitela's oscar attempt shows this was their intention.
The Goku/#17 strategy was OK. Of course it's brought down by poor pacing and many other questionable choices.

The strategy worst episode was against the U9 which was exactly like you described, the best was Hit vs Dyspo. Overall I would give a positive score on the strategy writing.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 am

MODERATION/ADMINISTRATIVE NOTES:

The following posts are once again examples of contributions that we do not welcome or otherwise do not live up to the community standards, which all users agreed to (twice) prior to registration. Consider this a free warning; account strikes may be issued from here on out in this thread.

(Beyond what's noted below here, please note that meme images and posts that are nothing but images are also frowned upon.)
puar wrote:another waste of an episode
This is not a comment worth posting. This forum is not Twitter; please add substance to your posts. If all you have to say is a single sentence, you may be better off keeping it to yourself.
Sandubadear wrote:Bad episode, after all the hype of the invisible fighters, they were really wasted lol.
Getting there, but still not actually adding anything to the conversation. What is "bad"? What was "wasted"? Why are you laughing? Please explain what you are thinking if you wish to join the conversation.
SonReggie wrote:And they left U11 alone why??? :evil:
See above. What are you talking about? This is not a complete thought. We want you to join the conversation, but it seems you may just be talking with yourself.
CriticalThinker wrote:The best thing about this episode and the last episode is that it made some people in the fanbase like and appreciate Ribrianne and U2 more.
Again, also getting there... but... what are you actually saying? Please add substance to your posts so that you can actually join the conversation.
Miracles wrote:They gave Piccolo an unimpressive outing.
Again, this forum is not Twitter; please add substance to your posts. If all you have to say is a single sentence, you may be better off keeping it to yourself.
julianix wrote:Just another terrible episode to add to the collection. I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

Are you freaking kidding me? All we need now is a magazord to go along with the power puff girls.

This shit is nothing like dbz.. this is straight trash.
This is an example of the hyperbolic negativity that is not welcome here. You are of course encouraged to be critical, but that's not what this is. You are just venting into the ether and creating an antagonistic atmosphere. This is not thoughtful. This is not genuinely critical.
Freeza9000 wrote:Oh god, you're one of those people.....
Please do not make these kinds of posts. If you see something that you feel does not live up to the community standards, use the built-in functionality to report it to a moderator rather than contributing to the noise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:10 am

One thing I will say is it's been really cool to see Goku and 17 continuously teaming up in this tournament. That's an unexpected but fun pairing. The man designed solely to kill Goku is now his wing man.
LightBing wrote:
Artorias wrote:I've noticed that whenever Super attempts to inject "strategy" into the fighting, it almost always flops. Nearly every "strategic" battle just comes off as bare-minimum, lazy, nothing content. It's either A) The gimmick isn't that threatening and is defeated almost immediately, or B) The characters just scream loudly and "power through" a cool ability, like Jiren with Hit's time trap.

The show is at it's best when it just commits to full-on, no-gimmick bombastic fights.
Kokonoe wrote:Man, the last episode and this current episode really have stepped up the artwork and animation. Also the fights are having much more effort and thought put into them.

....I could not disagree more with this. This might've been the single WORST animated episode of this entire tournament. I'm sorry, but putting this episode's animation in the same tier as last weeks is just...insane to say the least. They aren't even close in visual quality.
I don't agree there's quite a few decent to good strategy episodes. Even this one the strategy worked out and was deserved. Piccolo was knock out because he was correctly led to think it was just another invisible man, confusion was set in. Quitela's oscar attempt shows this was their intention.
The Goku/#17 strategy was OK. Of course it's brought down by poor pacing and many other questionable choices.

The strategy worst episode was against the U9 which was exactly like you described, the best was Hit vs Dyspo. Overall I would give a positive score on the strategy writing.
I just think it's always way too basic and it's all usually resolved way too fast. So it ends up just feeling half-assed and empty, as if the writers are simply going "Hey guys we haven't had much strategy in our fighting lately, quick, you all have 5 minutes to write something down on a napkin".

After watching certain...other shonen (which I won't name to avoid potential fanboy nonsense) that do strategy extremely well, with well thought out, constantly evolving, long battles of wit and cunning, this all just feels lackluster. Obviously there's exceptions, but there's definitely a general trend.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:45 am

Not as good as the last few episodes, but still a good episode in of itself. Though i DON'T see Piccolo getting taken out for not listening a problem; the entire point of Quleta's strategy was to make the Fighters specifically think the second 'gunman' was just another invisible person and someone they could only find through energy sensing; making them not try to hear him out. Plus, in a Tournament where people are regularly throwing around energy blast and explosions, I wouldn't fault them for not being able to hear that well without concentrating.
Last edited by Kanassa on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 am

Was I the only one annoyed by the U4 Angel? Even the U2 angel showed more emotion in the tournament, and even had a line when Vikal got eliminated by 17. The Universe 4 angel on the other didn't say a single word in this arc and the only time he showed any emotion was when Nink got knocked off the ring, and even that was just a "huh" face. Such a strong character, and was so forgettable. What a shame.

Same with the U4 kaioshin, he had little to no personality either. The only one who had a personality was Quitela, and he was annoying.

The fighters themselves were also pretty forgettable and wasted. The only ones that I liked were Monna, Ganos, Dercori and Shantsa, the latter 2 only because of their interesting abilities.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:10 am

precita wrote:
julianix wrote:I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

Are you freaking kidding me? All we need now is a magazord to go along with the power puff girls.

Yes, a bug...just like Gregory in DBZ. Or Imperfect Cell.

Guys in super suits, or people who pose...like the Ginyu Force.

Robots...do I need to go on about the amount of robots dating back to the original Dragonball with all of Pilaf's machines, Android 8, Mettalitron, the big Skeleton robot in the pirate base, etc?

All the character designs are straight up Dragonball.
People like me aren't welcomed in this forum. You guys just want everything to be peaches and cream when it comes to dbs. Listen I get it, this is a forum with probably the biggest fan boys of the series.

One thing is to have gag characters and the other is to have the gag take over the series. You're talking about imperfect cell, the androids and ginyu force. You can't even compare them.

This is straight trash. I'm sorry if I can't say that on this forum. That's my opinion. Straight up trash.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:10 am

Never cared for Quitela and his dirty tactics so I was satisfied to see him gone for good. Didn't help how anti-climactic the remaining fighters were.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 am

julianix wrote:
precita wrote:
julianix wrote:I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

Robots...do I need to go on about the amount of robots dating back to the original Dragonball with all of Pilaf's machines, Android 8, Mettalitron, the big Skeleton robot in the pirate base, etc?

People like me aren't welcomed in this forum. You guys just want everything to be peaches and cream when it comes to dbs. Listen I get it, this is a forum with probably the biggest fan boys of the series.

One thing is to have gag characters and the other is to have the gag take over the series. You're talking about imperfect cell, the androids and ginyu force. You can't even compare them.

This is straight trash. I'm sorry if I can't say that on this forum. That's my opinion. Straight up trash.
If you're bagging on a Dragon Ball series for having ridiculous characters as threats; What the hell are you doing watching Dragon Ball? Yes, the likes of the Old Androids and Ginyu are completely comparable, as are the likes of Majin Buu (A Fat Bubblegum Man Child, who even in his most 'mature' form had a whole episode dedicated to him trying to find a toilet while battling indigestion). They were threats, but they were fucking goofy; because it's Dragon Ball which at it's heart is a gag on top of ridiculous action and some serious thrown in.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 am

VegettoEX wrote:MODERATION/ADMINISTRATIVE NOTES:

The following posts are once again examples of contributions that we do not welcome or otherwise do not live up to the community standards, which all users agreed to (twice) prior to registration. Consider this a free warning; account strikes may be issued from here on out in this thread.

(Beyond what's noted below here, please note that meme images and posts that are nothing but images are also frowned upon.)
This is not a comment worth posting. This forum is not Twitter; please add substance to your posts. If all you have to say is a single sentence, you may be better off keeping it to yourself.
Sandubadear wrote:Bad episode, after all the hype of the invisible fighters, they were really wasted lol.
Getting there, but still not actually adding anything to the conversation. What is "bad"? What was "wasted"? Why are you laughing? Please explain what you are thinking if you wish to join the conversation.
See above. What are you talking about? This is not a complete thought. We want you to join the conversation, but it seems you may just be talking with yourself.
CriticalThinker wrote:The best thing about this episode and the last episode is that it made some people in the fanbase like and appreciate Ribrianne and U2 more.
Again, also getting there... but... what are you actually saying? Please add substance to your posts so that you can actually join the conversation.
Again, this forum is not Twitter; please add substance to your posts. If all you have to say is a single sentence, you may be better off keeping it to yourself.
julianix wrote:Just another terrible episode to add to the collection. I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

This is an example of the hyperbolic negativity that is not welcome here. You are of course encouraged to be critical, but that's not what this is. You are just venting into the ether and creating an antagonistic atmosphere. This is not thoughtful. This is not genuinely critical.
Please do not make these kinds of posts. If you see something that you feel does not live up to the community standards, use the built-in functionality to report it to a moderator rather than contributing to the noise.
i can see why short comments arnt allowed but why ''negativity'' isnt allowed? this guy was just honest. he critisized the show. are you saying that we all need to love the show and not point its flaws? come on. this reminds me of dictatorship. this guy dident do anything wrong he just said what he felt about dragon ball super. its not negativity its critisizm. i dont get why it isnt allowed.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 am

I love Dragon Ball Super, and i loved the ToP but that episode was really weak. I was expecting more form Universe 4, because their characters have cool designs and also cool abilities, and many characters were wasted without doing anything.

The episode felt rushed and i was expecting more from the bug and the invisible guy. But the thing is: we, the fans, are getting hyped by headcannon and predictions. DBS, Toei and Toriyama never hyped U4, and we must be careful about getting hyped without reason.

Overall, i would give this episode a 5/10, better than the last one [4/10].

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:17 am

I also agree with the comments that the the pacing felt horribly misguided. It felt like they didn't let their finger off the "fast-forward" button.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:19 am

Kanassa wrote:
julianix wrote:
precita wrote:

If you're bagging on a Dragon Ball series for having ridiculous characters as threats; What the hell are you doing watching Dragon Ball? Yes, the likes of the Old Androids and Ginyu are completely comparable, as are the likes of Majin Buu (A Fat Bubblegum Man Child, who even in his most 'mature' form had a whole episode dedicated to him trying to find a toilet while battling indigestion). They were threats, but they were fucking goofy; because it's Dragon Ball which at it's heart is a gag on top of ridiculous action and some serious thrown in.
Why do people keep saying this? Dbz was never about the gag characters. It had gag moments of course but the overall feel of the series was not like this at all. That is not the truth. You guys are using that as an excuse to justify the ridiculous things happening in super.

When I watched dbz I was scared for the Nameks when freeze came looking for the Dragon balls. Nobody was safe. Dodoria punched through a guy and his blood went everywhere. Zarbons whooping of vegeta and consequently vegeta revenge was brutal. Did you guys watch a different series? Maybe you guys watched the watered down version. I don't remember dbz ever being stupid to this level.

You talk about majin buu...Yes he was corny. But my man, kid buu was a terror...a real threat. I'm not sure what these characters are. It's not the same. Don't water down dbz and put it in the same boat as this. It's not the same at all.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 am

Average at best episode. Pacing was off and honestly just not that interesting of a fight. The strategy bit fell flat.

Can’t believe they did Piccolo like that, looks as if Gohan will get an episode next week at least.

Hope the tournament stays solid, it’s had rough patches along the way but overall been decent. Hopefully these last 12 minutes bring some special moments to the end, would love for Vegeta to get a real fight and actually win.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am

puar wrote:i can see why short comments arnt allowed but why ''negativity'' isnt allowed? this guy was just honest. he critisized the show. are you saying that we all need to love the show and not point its flaws? come on. this reminds me of dictatorship. this guy dident do anything wrong he just said what he felt about dragon ball super. its not negativity its critisizm. i dont get why it isnt allowed.
I very clearly explained how it's not that you can't be critical (in that it's not that you can't dislike something), but rather you have to be thoughtful and post in line with the rest of the community guidelines.

That post is nothing but toxicity and encouraging/participating in an antagonistic atmosphere. That it not welcome.

If you want to act like a loud, obnoxious child, you can do so elsewhere. None of this should be new or surprising to any registered member.

Please return to your regularly-scheduled, appropriate episode discussion.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kchlu

Post by Kchlu » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am

Definitely a step down from last week's episode.

This episode gives me a feeling of "Huh that just happened" and nothing more. It has some good moments like Goku and 17 working together to fight off Damon for example. Also, another neat little thing I like was Quitela's response when he was about to be erased, particular this one line where he says he'll take everyone with him but-

I was half-expecting him to start charging a ki blast or something and aimed it at the Zenos, but that never happened so it left me feeling empty inside. Their erasure was quickly skimmed over like it was nothing, so I say that's about on par with the erasure of U10. I guess it makes sense considering Quitela's the only one who had a personality to speak of and the others had no interesting interactions with anyone from the tournament but jeez, could have give them something like what they did with U2. I really like their concept too, with their gimmick of using underhanded tactics in a fight but the execution wasn't exactly stellar.

All in all, it feels like U4 was erased at this point in time just because they need to be the last 4th to be erased due to the number of their universe and judging from the preview, this might also apply to U3 as well.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 am

...So Piccolo got eliminated by a tiny bug thing?
I'm surprised his attacks can inflict damage to be honest.
You can say I'm upset by how his elimination was handled, but I'm glad he got to use some of his iconic attacks In this tournament. Some great callbacks like his mouth beam and super explosive wave.

My guess 18 Is still kicking around Is due to the fact the animators like to animate/draw a pretty face. :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 pm

The episode seemed incredibly rushed like the starting episodes of the tournament. After dedicating multiple episodes to the U6 Saiyans and the Kamikaze Fireballs, I would have expected Toei to take their time and develop each fighter appropriately, but after the Namekians were wasted last week on half of an episode, I should have known better. Just incredibly terrible. Can't they understand that eliminating so many fighters not only discredits them as credible threats but it also makes whoever eliminated them unimpressive?

Also blatantly stupid how the gimmick to Damon's capture was the sound he was making, yet Piccolo, the one with the super hearing, was the one who got eliminated.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 pm

julianix wrote: Why do people keep saying this? Dbz was never about the gag characters. It had gag moments of course but the overall feel of the series was not like this at all. That is not the truth. You guys are using that as an excuse to justify the ridiculous things happening in super.

When I watched dbz I was scared for the Nameks when freeze came looking for the Dragon balls. Nobody was safe. Dodoria punched through a guy and his blood went everywhere. Zarbons whooping of vegeta and consequently vegeta revenge was brutal. Did you guys watch a different series? Maybe you guys watched the watered down version. I don't remember dbz ever being stupid to this level.

You talk about majin buu...Yes he was corny. But my man, kid buu was a terror...a real threat. I'm not sure what these characters are. It's not the same. Don't water down dbz and put it in the same boat as this. It's not the same at all.
DBS is *also* not about the "gag characters". The main threat of the arc is not Universe 4 and Quitela. They are small moments here and there to add levity and changes in tension for the important/significant moments. Universe 6 was in general not a gag, neither is Jiren. Those are your big threats that were not a gag. But just like there is Freeza and Kid buu and cell, you have fat buu and ginyuu and Mr. Satan force sprinkled in there to provide gags in the middle of the story.

I agree that if the gag characters were presented as *the* threat of the story that would be weird. But the arc has been a great mix of high tension, emotional moments, and amazing battles with great music and animation and moments of levity, gags, and callbacks to other anime. That is the essence of what Toriyama always did with Dragon Ball -- which had great callbacks to other genres and gags and silly names while having a more serious overarching story.
HybridSaiyan wrote:My guess 18 Is still kicking around Is due to the fact the animators like to animate/draw a pretty face. :lol:
This is such a weird comment. Why does 18 need to justify her continued existence? And why is the justification "her pretty face?" She has been fighting incredibly well and teaming up with her brother in fun ways. And she is an android, which is a good reason to have her around for the plot point with robots and evil scientists.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Doctor. wrote:The episode seemed incredibly rushed like the starting episodes of the tournament. After dedicating multiple episodes to the U6 Saiyans and the Kamikaze Fireballs, I would have expected Toei to take their time and develop each fighter appropriately, but after the Namekians were wasted last week on half of an episode, I should have known better. Just incredibly terrible. Can't they understand that eliminating so many fighters not only discredits them as credible threats but it also makes whoever eliminated them unimpressive?

Also blatantly stupid how the gimmick to Damon's capture was the sound he was making, yet Piccolo, the one with the super hearing, was the one who got eliminated.
The Piccolo thing was really stupid. Imagine if an X-Men comic had Cyclops send BEAK to tank a Sentinel attack instead of Wolverine or Colossus.

The illusionist who makes dead fighters come back, sort of, also would've helped with the audience to feel something when U4 goes down. Satisfaction, potentially, at seeing these underhanded pricks go down. That's better then feeling nothing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:MODERATION/ADMINISTRATIVE NOTES:

I do agree that some of those posts go a bit too far, especially those that attempt to insult others for their beliefs about the show. If I’m being honest however, I feel like this is a case of “Big Brother is always watching” which makes me feel a bit uneasy that our posts are being so analyzed and I think a hands-off approach is better unless, like I said, the post in question goes too far and borders on hostility. I don’t see an issue with a lot of those posts though and I feel as if you’re nitpicking a bit too much. Someone adding in their two cents about the episode in a sentence or two doesn’t distract from the thread or do any harm to anyone. If anything, people could ask them to elaborate or question them about their short opinion which would foster discussion.

I hope I’m not overstepping my boundaries here, I just felt that it’s a bit unnerving for some people to have their posts publicly scrutinized when some of them really aren’t a big deal and is something that most people don’t mind since its just more opinions being added to the discussion, even if they’re short and sweet.
Kokonoe wrote:

lol no
These are all fine shots, but don’t even come close to bordering on impressive. The last two are just repeated frames. This episode’s art and animation was definitely subpar when compared to the string of episodes we saw come before it.