Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by buutenks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:26 pm

I find the hate for this episode odd. It wasnt awesome, but wasnt bad either. It was fun. Sure Piccolo's elimination was to 'fixed' or so to speak. But apart from that it was nice.

In what spoilers were the 2 invisisble fighters from u4 got hyped? i read some posts here with people expecting them to be impressive or that the mortal stronger than a god is from u4, even tho it was obviously Jiren. But i dont remember them becing specifically mentioned that they will be impressive, like Jiren for example.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm

buutenks wrote:I find the hate for this episode odd. It wasnt awesome, but wasnt bad either. It was fun. Sure Piccolo's elimination was to 'fixed' or so to speak. But apart from that it was nice.

In what spoilers were the 2 invisisble fighters from u4 got hyped? i read some posts here with people expecting them to be impressive or that the mortal stronger than a god is from u4, even tho it was obviously Jiren. But i dont remember them becing specifically mentioned that they will be impressive, like Jiren for example.
I think it was because of the leaked bio on Damon that people thought he'd be strong and some people thought that because they were in the tournament for this long, then surely they must be strong. If anything this is a case of the fanbase overhyping themselves for a pair of characters that only got a little build up.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:
I think it was because of the leaked bio on Damon that people thought he'd be strong and some people thought that because they were in the tournament for this long, then surely they must be strong. If anything this is a case of the fanbase overhyping themselves for a pair of characters that only got a little build up.
Classic case of overhype then. Look at katopesla, guy lasted this long, and he isnt some uber power house, tho he is still awesome hehe.

I guess people were expecting Jiren to be fake or something, even tho it was said with a serious tone.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm

buutenks wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:
Classic case of overhype then. Look at katopesla, guy lasted this long, and he isnt some uber power house, tho he is still awesome hehe.

I guess people were expecting Jiren to be fake or something, even tho it was said with a serious tone.
Katopesla was pretty great and I enjoyed him for what he was, a shame though that he didn't get to do more. I do kinda find it funny that many people thought that because certain characters survived for so long that they must be strong. I guess the only exception to that is the U3 robots who do seem decently strong going off of the preview. I think people were hoping for a twist when there never was one, it was pretty obvious who the mortal stronger than a god was.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Miracles wrote:They gave Piccolo an unimpressive outing.
Again, this forum is not Twitter; please add substance to your posts. If all you have to say is a single sentence, you may be better off keeping it to yourself.
OK. Piccolo's loss was very unconvincing. He went out without a fierce fight. The cool-headed Piccolo and strategist, overlooks "sounds" and focuses too much on sensing in battle?
It would have been better if he was overpowered after using all his arsenal and went out in fighting glory.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Piccolo wasn't treated too poorly, I'd say he was handled a bit better than Krillin, much better than Tien, and only a little less than Roshi. Piccolo defeated the fighting guy from Gowasu's universe, helped defeat the two Nameks, took out the invisible fighter and the little blue guy.

Yeah, it's not what we wanted, Piccolo should have gotten a long and important fight with someone, but oh well...take what you can get?

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:MODERATION/ADMINISTRATIVE NOTES:
CriticalThinker wrote:The best thing about this episode and the last episode is that it made some people in the fanbase like and appreciate Ribrianne and U2 more.
Again, also getting there... but... what are you actually saying? Please add substance to your posts so that you can actually join the conversation.
I would actually like to add to that Substance of CriticalThinker's point that I believe they were getting at VegettoEX Sir.

This episode in many ways no matter how you cut it, sadly while trying to find cool things in it, was a Far cry from episode 118 or the episodes that preceded those in just how great those where in both their art, music and most of all characterization and handling of their story structure. With that what 119 made clear sadly, that was the only real negative of episode 118;

This is what you get in 119 when you try to made leads out of underdeveloped characters and universes while at the same time Not seeming to try to develop them when you need to or have their battles go to the scales that other Universes like 2 and 6 showed, to the disappointments of many fans routing for U4.

It leaves some questions if their really is any drama left in the ToP besides with U11 now and why Toei not only kept them around, U4 that is, but did not decide to go as far in their Development as they clearly did for U2 and U6.

They had battles that lasted only a few mins each in 1 episode only and 3 of their most hyped characters out in a matter of that only that time. Add to that a underwhelming Erasing Scene that unlike the Grandness that was with U2 and U6's goings, only had Quitela complaining rather very sadly and selfishly in not wanting to be gone while not giving a last word to the rest of his team, a far cry from what we got from the erasing of U9, U10, U2 and U6, all showing a much deeper form of erasing drama in their own unique ways.

With this said, it has leads some-fans, not all but some to feel more appreciative for characters that where before and how they where handled. Finally fully realizing their importance to the story and how much weight they gave to the drama of it. They where fleshed out more and whether you liked them or not, they where ones to lookout for. Add to this the Graceful and Courageous way they went with their Erasing and their Final battle, it brings their whole story to a full circle and made some fans appreciate them even just allittle more cause of all of it, gaining respect. This is what happen with U2, Ribrianne and also U6.

I don't want to take away any good other fans found in U4 or good they found in 119, it just felt like a not as good episode compared to how 118 handled a similar story that was far more bigger in scoop and made some fans realize the importance to those characters erased from universes 2 and 6.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Damn. They're falling like dominoes now.

Not much of an episode. A group of offbeat fighters, that could have been a real threat, were eliminated quickly. I expected Quitela to put up more of a fight. As soon as his last fighter fell, he should have attacked the Zenos. Would have been better than panicking, threatening to do something, and then immediate erasure.

Overall, an anticlimactic letdown.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:The best thing about this episode and the last episode is that it made some people in the fanbase like and appreciate Ribrianne and U2 more.
Again, also getting there... but... what are you actually saying? Please add substance to your posts so that you can actually join the conversation.
I would actually like to add to that Substance of CriticalThinker's point that I believe they were getting at VegettoEX Sir.

This episode in many ways no matter how you cut it, sadly while trying to find cool things in it, was a Far cry from episode 118 or the episodes that preceded those in just how great those where in both their art, music and most of all characterization and handling of their story structure. With that what 119 made clear sadly, that was the only real negative of episode 118;

This is what you get in 119 when you try to made leads out of underdeveloped characters and universes while at the same time Not seeming to try to develop them when you need to or have their battles go to the scales that other Universes like 2 and 6 showed, to the disappointments of many fans routing for U4.

It leaves some questions if their really is any drama left in the ToP besides with U11 now and why Toei not only kept them around, U4 that is, but did not decide to go as far in their Development as they clearly did for U2 and U6.

They had battles that lasted only a few mins each in 1 episode only and 3 of their most hyped characters out in a matter of that only that time. Add to that a underwhelming Erasing Scene that unlike the Grandness that was with U2 and U6's goings, only had Quitela complaining rather very sadly and selfishly in not wanting to be gone while not giving a last word to the rest of his team, a far cry from what we got from the erasing of U9, U10, U2 and U6, all showing a much deeper form of erasing drama in their own unique ways.

With this said, it has leads some-fans, not all but some to feel more appreciative for characters that where before and how they where handled. Finally fully realizing their importance to the story and how much weight they gave to the drama of it. They where fleshed out more and whether you liked them or not, they where ones to lookout for. Add to this the Graceful and Courageous way they went with their Erasing and their Final battle, it brings their whole story to a full circle and made some fans appreciate them even just allittle more cause of all of it, gaining respect. This is what happen with U2, Ribrianne and also U6.

I don't want to take away any good other fans found in U4 or good they found in 119, it just felt like a not as good episode compared to how 118 handled a similar story that was far more bigger in scoop and made some fans realize the importance to those characters erased from universes 2 and 6.
Wow I had written that as a joke since I had seen some people go from saying U2 was the worst to U4 being the worst, but you made a pretty good point, thanks man. :thumbup: I guess I will add that U2 and U6 should have been the last two taken out as opposed to U4 and U3 since they didn't get as much shine as the other two.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm

I don't get why they keep doing things like dumbing down piccolos hearing, especially when they even go out of their way to mention it, instead or writing around it or through it... It's very patronizing to the viewer. AT first I thought the episode was going well because tehy actually utilized something they should have since the start of the tournament. Something based on none power issues. Then they ruin it with still dumbing down the case and overblowing it in other places. what is dumb is piccolo could save gohan but not himself by stretching his arms and catching the side of the ring and climbing up. It was pointless with his power set to fall this way. Gohan should have just blasted his way back up. We have established this is possible... If you are going to showcase strategy do it properly. Make it write itself by using it fully and finding ways around it. Don't lower the fight to fit the circumstances. Why do they keep doing this with the show? I don't understand the motive.

And why do they keep starting and finishing everything they bring up in one episode. It's horrible lazy writing. The only thing that didn't span one episode was the special. Half of these issues like the invisible creatures and whatnot should have been threats or seen throughout the tournament(not literally) and should have been doing lowkey things the entire time. They should not save a universe for one episode then kill them off and finish their entire arc. It's just aweful writing. They make all these characters with things to do and literally find the least possible way to use everything. It's like they've take aweful writing as a purposeful theme in the show.

It's basically unavoidable the writers can't think out anything they are doing. They literally just slop stuff in. Are they taking the supposed notes from toryama and just throwing them together in the simplest manner to get a paycheck?! Why do they work in this type of field if they don't enjoy writing? I honestly doing understand what is going on with this show. They don't even seem to be building up to a climax. It's like DBS is a practice in Non writing.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Artorias wrote:I've noticed that whenever Super attempts to inject "strategy" into the fighting, it almost always flops. Nearly every "strategic" battle just comes off as bare-minimum, lazy, nothing content. It's either A) The gimmick isn't that threatening and is defeated almost immediately, or B) The characters just scream loudly and "power through" a cool ability, like Jiren with Hit's time trap.

The show is at it's best when it just commits to full-on, no-gimmick bombastic fights.
Kokonoe wrote:Man, the last episode and this current episode really have stepped up the artwork and animation. Also the fights are having much more effort and thought put into them.

Really enjoyed this episode as well as the previous one.
....I could not disagree more with this. This might've been the single WORST animated episode of this entire tournament. I'm sorry, but putting this episode's animation in the same tier as last weeks is just...insane to say the least. They aren't even close in visual quality.
Though I think strategy can still definitely have a place in the show, I think it should be more basic and grounded, like say 104,107, 116 etc, which utilized a very simple idea and expanded upon them to make an interesting fight while still being fairly grounded by shonen standards.

I will still maintain that the worst animated episode of this tournament is 105, at least 119 had some stuff, though admittedly very conservative stuff, from animators like Nikaido and Miuma. 105 really didn't have anything.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:

Wow I had written that as a joke since I had seen some people go from saying U2 was the worst to U4 being the worst, but you made a pretty good point, thanks man. :thumbup: I guess I will add that U2 and U6 should have been the last two taken out as opposed to U4 and U3 since they didn't get as much shine as the other two.
It is amazing sometimes how just a simple fun post can lead to an interesting and learned conversation, as a U2 and Brianne fan glad you got a good point out of it, means allot! :)

Indeed that is my whole point with how 119 and how it seems the last of the ToP is being handle. U4 had to prove why it deserved to be around longer then 2 universe that seem to get the most development and had the best chances of winning besides U7 or U11, those being U2 and U6. Again I am not just saying those 2 being the only other likely ones to win cause of my fandom, I step myself back from my fandom and really with all respects to the other Universes, the key points are 1.) Who has the most possible development to win the ToP to make sense and 2.) If U7 did lose and got erased, which universes would develop/be good guys enough to want to bring them and all the others back. Right now and it seems the only ones where U2, U6 and U11 depending on how the story would play out.

U4 needed allot of development in both the personal avenue as well as the skill and power avenues to show the had a good chance of being major players and giving a sense of hinting they could win. Toei even with a Hercules skill to pull off, I see in a way could have found a story formula to have U4 winning and only bringing back the other Universe just so that Quitela could rub it in their faces forever his team won with his mystery fighters. But at the very least, I was hoping Toei might be serious about U4 and for U4 Fans Most of All, their hopes I was hoping they be major too!

But Toei just seem bend on making them go out way to fast, general detail development and matches that could have been a whole episode to each mystery fighter just being reduce to mins. with the final sadness of it all being Quitela's selfish and cowardly way of being erased making it all about him and us never getting to see the emotions of the other U4 fighters like we did with that others when they got erased. :(

This is why indeed some fans I have started to see both around here and even on Youtube when I care to even read comments in that sewage place, start to soften on U2 and U6 to degrees of missing them and saying they where respectful in the way they went out and even points of their importance. It is a lesson in you don't know what you have until it is gone and what both U2 and U6 had was the development and beings of character ideals to both possibly win the ToP and make for a dramatic final bout as well as the only ones most likely to wish back the other universes.

But I think while that point is a Major one and as you said to in agreement with it as well I greatly agree with;

I think it is a double edge sword too in a good way ~~~~~~ that the early out was also a Stroke-Of-Brilliance by Toei at the same-time.

It made us realized just how important U2 and U6 where to the story, the 2 universes that seem to gain the most debate and complaints from fans that many where torn about, now are starting to do small reversals seeing how it is without them.

In a way in their Deaths Toei made U2 and U6 even Better and More important then they where in the glory of competition. That shows just how Powerful a Well done and well executed death scene's effect can have on a fanbase. ;)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:

It is amazing sometimes how just a simple fun post can lead to an interesting and learned conversation, as a U2 and Brianne fan glad you got a good point out of it, means allot! :)

Indeed that is my whole point with how 119 and how it seems the last of the ToP is being handle. U4 had to prove why it deserved to be around longer then 2 universe that seem to get the most development and had the best chances of winning besides U7 or U11, those being U2 and U6. Again I am not just saying those 2 being the only other likely ones to win cause of my fandom, I step myself back from my fandom and really with all respects to the other Universes, the key points are 1.) Who has the most possible development to win the ToP to make sense and 2.) If U7 did lose and got erased, which universes would develop/be good guys enough to want to bring them and all the others back. Right now and it seems the only ones where U2, U6 and U11 depending on how the story would play out.

U4 needed allot of development in both the personal avenue as well as the skill and power avenues to show the had a good chance of being major players and giving a sense of hinting they could win. Toei even with a Hercules skill to pull off, I see in a way could have found a story formula to have U4 winning and only bringing back the other Universe just so that Quitela could rub it in their faces forever his team won with his mystery fighters. But at the very least, I was hoping Toei might be serious about U4 and for U4 Fans Most of All, their hopes I was hoping they be major too!

But Toei just seem bend on making them go out way to fast, general detail development and matches that could have been a whole episode to each mystery fighter just being reduce to mins. with the final sadness of it all being Quitela's selfish and cowardly way of being erased making it all about him and us never getting to see the emotions of the other U4 fighters like we did with that others when they got erased. :(

This is why indeed some fans I have started to see both around here and even on Youtube when I care to even read comments in that sewage place, start to soften on U2 and U6 to degrees of missing them and saying they where respectful in the way they went out and even points of their importance. It is a lesson in you don't know what you have until it is gone and what both U2 and U6 had was the development and beings of character ideals to both possibly win the ToP and make for a dramatic final bout as well as the only ones most likely to wish back the other universes.

But I think while that point is a Major one and as you said to in agreement with it as well I greatly agree with;

I think it is a double edge sword too in a good way ~~~~~~ that the early out was also a Stroke-Of-Brilliance by Toei at the same-time.

It made us realized just how important U2 and U6 where to the story, the 2 universes that seem to gain the most debate and complaints from fans that many where torn about, now are starting to do small reversals seeing how it is without them.

In a way in their Deaths Toei made U2 and U6 even Better and More important then they where in the glory of competition. That shows just how Powerful a Well done and well executed death scene's effect can have on a fanbase. ;)
Considering how quickly U4 got taken out I don't get why they lasted so long, then again it does seem that a lot about Damon was changed before this episode aired, so maybe they were going to play a bigger role but they scraped it for some reason. Now that I think about Tien should of been the one to fight Damon considering how weak he was but oh well. Yeah Toei did a good job of handling U2 and U6 since there erasures felt impactful while U4 didn't it. I could have forgiven the episode more if they had done a better job of U4 erasure but they really dropped the ball there. I for one view U2 and U6 erasure as a highlight of the tournament and can't wait to see them come back. Hopeful they atleast give U3 a good send off like the other universe besides U4.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:44 am

This episode basically represents everything wrong with this arc. Wasted characters, bad pacing, unfitting tone, setting up things and then not doing anything with them, not providing much of a reason to give a shit about anything that's happening in general, the whole thing really. The only problem its missing is Goku being annoying and overexposed, so I'll give it that I guess.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 am

TekTheNinja wrote:This episode basically represents everything wrong with this arc. Wasted characters, bad pacing, unfitting tone, setting up things and then not doing anything with them, not providing much of a reason to give a shit about anything that's happening in general, the whole thing really. The only problem its missing is Goku being annoying and overexposed, so I'll give it that I guess.
It's not wasted characters or not doing anything with them if they never had any plans prior than what we see for the characters. If you guys wanted truly DBZ-tier pacing, we would be spending 2-3 episodes just to beat the invisible chameleon, then another 2-3 episodes beating the bug. Similar to the Ginyu Force fights on Namek. We don't really need that now.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 am

Not a bad episode, didn't care for Piccolos ending, but we're getting close to the end now and every fight isn't going to be amazing.

Next week looks pretty awesome though.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 am

Wouldn't it have been a better option for Quitela to have his fighters continue to hide for the rest of the tournament, hoping other universes eliminated each other?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 am

Gig wrote:Wouldn't it have been a better option for Quitela to have his fighters continue to hide for the rest of the tournament, hoping other universes eliminated each other?
Yes..
It would have been..

It would have been better if this episode was stretched over 2 episodes..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Artorias wrote:I've noticed that whenever Super attempts to inject "strategy" into the fighting, it almost always flops. Nearly every "strategic" battle just comes off as bare-minimum, lazy, nothing content. It's either A) The gimmick isn't that threatening and is defeated almost immediately, or B) The characters just scream loudly and "power through" a cool ability, like Jiren with Hit's time trap.

The show is at it's best when it just commits to full-on, no-gimmick bombastic fights.
Kokonoe wrote:Man, the last episode and this current episode really have stepped up the artwork and animation. Also the fights are having much more effort and thought put into them.

Really enjoyed this episode as well as the previous one.
....I could not disagree more with this. This might've been the single WORST animated episode of this entire tournament. I'm sorry, but putting this episode's animation in the same tier as last weeks is just...insane to say the least. They aren't even close in visual quality.
Though I think strategy can still definitely have a place in the show, I think it should be more basic and grounded, like say 104,107, 116 etc, which utilized a very simple idea and expanded upon them to make an interesting fight while still being fairly grounded by shonen standards.

I will still maintain that the worst animated episode of this tournament is 105, at least 119 had some stuff, though admittedly very conservative stuff, from animators like Nikaido and Miuma. 105 really didn't have anything.
That is true, I had forgotten about 105. Although the difference between this and 105 is that 105 had very little movement, whereas this had TONS of fighting and it all looked terrible. So pick your poison I guess. No movement, or movement done poorly.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am

buutenks wrote:I find the hate for this episode odd. It wasnt awesome, but wasnt bad either. It was fun. Sure Piccolo's elimination was to 'fixed' or so to speak. But apart from that it was nice.

Exactly. People just assumed, because that's what the DB community does - it assumes. Just because these guys were teased months before they appeared never automatically meant they were going to be impressive, or make a huge impact. It's your fault for setting yourselves up for disappointment. You did this to yourselves.