Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:01 pm

A pretty inoffensive episode for me, not much more.

Some good strategy all around, though I will admit that it feels like an appetizer to the bigger events to come.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 pm

This honestly felt like a filler episode....in the middle of what's supposed to be the "final act".

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Artorias wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Artorias wrote:Well...we have a new candidate for worst episode of the tournament. That was just terrible. Some of the most awkward pacing I've seen from this show. Everything from animation to the writing was painfully mediocre.

I literally can't think of a single good thing besides the cool little team up between Goku and 17 at the end, but even that was pretty underwhelming.
I argue this was better than 106 because at least I didn't get mad. I was just bored.
True, but 106 had a few moments that I actually mildly enjoyed. There was literally nothing remotely interesting in this one.
Goku holding a rock is still hilarious.

Oh well. Next week looks much much better.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:03 pm

I was just happy another piece of the Future Trunks Arc BGM was put in this episode. Wish they would use more of it since imo it is the best music Super has produced.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Well... at Universe 4 eliminated some fighters.

I mean... I don't know what else to say.

For an episode that had a universe being erased, it sure felt like a non-event, when all was said and done. It was nice to see some teamwork and strategy put into taking care of the hidden fighters of Universe 4. And Piccolo and Gohan, but mostly Piccolo, getting the spotlight like he did was nice. But that's the only really positives I can think of. Shantsa was horribly wasted and Katopesla was another glorified gag character.

This episode, while innocuous, was just... boring for the most part. I'd say this is the worst episode of the entire tournament so far.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:09 pm

I thought it was a fun episode. Next week looks like it'll be serious again. Shame Quitella got shafted like that though

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:11 pm

This episode felt like 106, and that's not a good thing. Awkward pacing, ZERO flow, and no weight behind anything that was happening. Disappointing. Second worst episode of the tournament, and sadly it had to come so late into it. I'm sure the robots from U3 will be much better.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Ok episode.

The bald elimination streak continues. Hang in there, Freeza!

I have mixed feelings about this episode.

I'm glad Piccolo eliminated more two fighters. In end he definitely wasn't wasted, but U4 secret weapons were.
I was already disappointed how Ganos lost against Roshi and now the two U4 fighters that have been hiding all this time were defeated in one episode?! Bad stuff. Especially when Damon and Shantza were making a good team.

This episode should have ended with them dealing with Shantza's illusions and then the next one they would defeat him and Damon. Everything in the same episode felt rushed, which is ironic considering how long this Tournament has been.

By the way, Damon had a much more deeper voice than I was expecting.

Props for them using another FT Trunks arc soundtrack and for remembering Yamcha vs Suke fight. DBS always does a fantastic job on acknowledging past events.

RIP mah boy Katopesla! You sure were entertaining to see.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Torturephile wrote:And a streak of good episodes has ended once again:

-Given this was U4's last act, I would expect a better performance from them. They gave some trouble to U7 but were dealt with quickly. They did ring out Piccolo, but he in return ringed out two of them and saved two of his teammates. Goku saved 17. Shantsa was cute, but he could be written out and nothing would change. Moreover, I thought Damon would be something more than a just weaker Candy Vegetto. Gamisaras came and went. At least they didn't reach U10 levels of terribad.

-The art only looked good at the beginning and ending seconds of the episode.

-How odd is that Piccolo has much better hearing than most characters yet he relied too much on sensing ki. Couldn't have he heard something from Damon at least?

-Vegeta should take his own advice, "I'm not interested in hearing your bragging!" He's the kettle calling the pot black.

-Roshi telling Gohan to use blood from his nose to cover Gamisaras was funny. Good callback. It also led to Gohan using his brain again.

Am I the only one that wanted all three remaining universes to play soccer with Damon and the barrier around him as the ball? The universe that scores the most goals would win.
I have to agree with you. This episode reminded me of the sniper episode. I didn't like how Piccolo who has the best hearing of the cast couldn't hear Damon. Rating: 6 out of 10
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:19 pm

I think people are being too hard on this episode. Yeah it was just an ok/average episode, but I think it happening this late in the tournament is what makes it feel like a fillerish ep. If U4 was erased earlier it would have been fine.

I did like that Piccolo took out two more fighters before going down, I'm glad he wasn't disgraced. Piccolo's role in the tournament was so minor overall though, he and 17 never got to team up either. In the end we did get some unique fighters/abilities, with an invisible guy, a guy who can create illusions, and a small bug.

It was an ok episode.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Shantza's illusions could make for a whole episode, especially since the erased fighters could speak. We could see some fun missed opportunites matchup-wise, but nope. 1 minute long..

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:25 pm

I don't understand why you were expecting a better performance from U4. They're clearly all fodders, relying only on subterfuge and plain old fighting dirty. It's quite realistic that playing dirty would get them this far, but against real skill and power they really didn't have much to give. Quitela's way of going was also mildly disturbing, which is cool.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:27 pm

So is Universe 4 the weakest universe? At least Universe 9 has the Trio de dangers and they were all on Perfect Cell through Super Buu level.

Universe 4 didn't have a single strong fighter.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:29 pm

precita wrote:So is Universe 4 the weakest universe? At least Universe 9 has the Trio de dangers and they were all on Perfect Cell through Super Buu level.

Universe 4 didn't have a single strong fighter.
Illusion girl was pretty haxy, problem is she lost to even bigger hax that is Mafuba.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:29 pm

1st off my condolences to those fans that Liked and Supported Universe 4, sad to see them go sooner then I thought they should have.

Honestly the fighters of U4 had some impressive powers and skills, LOVE the Ant-Man Style fighting and Shantza's illusions where Really Creep, was Cool to see a Necromancy Version of My Girl Kakunsa, the Dead are coming to haunt you all, LMAO! :lol:

But sadly it felt far to rushed IMO. Shantza's illusions alone could have Filled-Up an entire episode as well as the Bug-Twins fighting style. So much good story worth 2 episodes alone could have come from it, I just get confused as to why Toei seems to rush somethings and take their time with others.

The fighters where still good, Piccolo has a Great Show, Props to Android 17 with his Smarts and Patience in Battle, I was impressed by that about 17 in this!

Wherever You are Lapislettuce, I hope you enjoyed 17 in this, was thinking of you Fandom during this fight, Toei is doing a fine job with 17, I am Impressed.

But the Erasing of U4 sadly was sad like the rest, but I hate to say the most Anti-Climatic. Honestly they could not have shown the reactions of all the members of U4?! Just Quitela and it was not as great as I had hoped. Felt sad for how they made that feel quick as well.

Again another episode that could have been stretched out to 2-3 episodes, good moments and nice showings still, but lacking in the emotions and poetry that 118 did by Leaps and Bounds. U4 deserved more episodes and drama IMO.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 pm

Meh. This episode was a pretty big step down compared to last week. Shantsa had a cool ability, but they didn’t really do anything interesting with it, and those two hidden fighters weren’t all that either. The episode as a whole felt rushed.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 pm

Another weak episode like 103-106-108,had a good premise but the execution was so bad it hurts.Let's start off and say the animation wasn't that good and the pacing was off with no flow,everything happened so quickly,sucks really,these episode are worth 40 minutes of content instead of 20.
    Piccolo was cool,he wasn't a clown here :clap: :thumbup: .
    Mostly active on discord.

GodVegetto91
    Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:38 pm

So.. The all-important question..

What happened to that other bug with the diffrent color??? I thought they were twin brothers! We never saw him, and instead got replaced by that large invisible U4 fighter, and now they’re erased.

Was this all a mistake on Toei’s part?

How could they introduce a character design and never reveal it and even imply he never existed as all 10 members were eliminated? This doesn’t make any sense at all.

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Anyone think the invisible fighter looked like an iguana, or a chameleon? He wasn't a bug at all, looked like a lizard. A chameleon would make sense giving he is invisible.

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 pm

One more thing I’ll say about this episode: Universe 4 as a whole was wasted. They had some pretty cool designs, and the idea of a universe that relies more on dirty tricks and fancy techniques rather than brute strength was an interesting concept, but they were more or less wasted. Also the fact that Quitela was being built up as a manipulative bastard and a rival for Beerus, honestly means that his erasure shouldn’t have been so rushed.

Oh well, I guess Universe 3 is up next.