Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 am

One more thing I wanted to add which I found interesting - I wonder if Gohan coming up with the idea of using dust to see the figure was inspired by Piccolo's idea to use dust as cover earlier.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Saturnine wrote:Exactly. People just assumed, because that's what the DB community does - it assumes. Just because these guys were teased months before they appeared never automatically meant they were going to be impressive, or make a huge impact. It's your fault for setting yourselves up for disappointment. You did this to yourselves.
They weren't even teased all that hard in the show either. Before this episode there was 96, where the characters noticed that Universe 4 seemed to be missing two fighters but Tien could sense something, one more episode where Beerus noted that two fighters seemed to be missing, and that quick shot of inivisble footsteps behind Jiren. We only knew Gamisaras existed at all because of that one magazine featurette showing all 80 fighters. Aniraza's only been hinted at by Ea saying they don't need potara for "obvious reasons." The fandom just figured that one out by looking at the design of the robots.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm glad this was a filler episode and Piccolo will be back on stage in the next.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 pm

I guess I'm the only person who really enjoyed this episode. I'd gave switched it's place with U9 though. If they were that weak just have Quitela unveil his secret plan to eliminate Goku before it's revealed what a threat Jiren is.

Then for U9 have them target Goku when he's weak after Kefla.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I guess I'm the only person who really enjoyed this episode. I'd gave switched it's place with U9 though. If they were that weak just have Quitela unveil his secret plan to eliminate Goku before it's revealed what a threat Jiren is.

You aren't alone. I enjoyed it as well. Way better than 117, which was terrible.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I can't get why they chose to throw out Piccolo like this, it would have been way better if he went out previous ep then...
Couldn't care about Quitela, loved the ideas of the invisible and bug opponents, too bad it was so botched in the execution.
So Vegeta didn't do more than usual, ok Final Flash was kinda cool but eh, he should have been more impacted by the U6 erasure, it's the second time he goes through his race being annihilated.
I realize now... Why the heck are robots the pre-climax? I really hope they aren't going to make more gag episodes, we're near the end of the tournament, can things please get serious for real now?

5/10

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Roronoa-pt wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:I guess I'm the only person who really enjoyed this episode. I'd gave switched it's place with U9 though. If they were that weak just have Quitela unveil his secret plan to eliminate Goku before it's revealed what a threat Jiren is.

You aren't alone. I enjoyed it as well. Way better than 117, which was terrible.
I enjoyed it as well. As a huge Piccolo fan, I wanted to see him do more, but it was overall a good episode for him. He got some good action and eliminations. My expectations were waaaaay low though, so I'm just glad he wasn't disrespected like Tien. I also think that U4 should've posed a bigger threat, at least managing to outwit the Z fighters and last longer. They shouldn't have been one trick ponies. It was a waste to be honest. To be a rival of Beerus, Quitela really didn't have much of an impact before he was erased.

But other high points include the fact that U7 relied on teamwork throughout the whole episode (except when it came to helping Piccolo, ahem) and the fact that U4 was at least portrayed as somewhat threatening, nearly eliminating Vegeta, Gohan, #18, #17, and giving even Goku a hard time. And they got two eliminations from Katopesla and Piccolo. But I think their powers either could've been better utilized or expanded upon. Oh and Shantsa and his seiyuu were awesome.

That epic mouth blast from Piccolo made the episode worth too.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Mac wrote:Next week looks pretty awesome though.
I believe that as well, I'm ready to see some good ol' Gohan ownage :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Things I Liked:

-Seeing all the members of Universe 7 fighting in one episode was actually really cool.
-It (sometimes) felt like there was actually camaraderie with Universe 7 (Piccolo saving Gohan and assisting 18, Goku saving 17, etc.)
-The ideas for the Universe 4 fighters were pretty cool.
-Vegeta vs. Katopesla was actually alright.
-We finally got another Universe 7 elimination.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-I can understand Quitela's strategy, but the idea that he thought invisibility and being tiny would let him somehow take out 7 other fighters was a little silly.
-As I said, the ideas for the Universe 4 fighters (mainly Damon and Shantza) were cool, but their execution left a lot to be desired in my opinion.
-Animation felt all over the place. I felt sometimes it was good and other times it was quite lackluster.

Things I Disliked:

-Piccolo couldn't hear Damon? Piccolo? Are you kidding me Super? Does anyone on the current staff even understand Namekian biology anymore!?
-This episode was WAY too rushed. These events should have either occurred over the course of multiple episodes or been two separate episodes. Cramming all of this into one episode dropped the amount of impact the Universe 4 fighters could leave and reduced the episode's tension. I understand a lot of people want things to get moving after we went 4 episodes with only 2 eliminations, but then having 3 universe erasures in 2 episodes feels like going from a stop to 120 mph (in other words, it's jarring and unnatural).
-I agree with others in that this episode should not have taken place this late in the tournament. After everything we saw with Jiren, Ultra Instinct, Kefla and even Universe 2, this felt very... underwhelming. I can appreciate a greater emphasis on skill and strategy, but this really isn't the way to do it in my opinion.
-Universe 4's erasure felt abrupt and not nearly as meaningful as the previous ones.

This episode was certainly disappointing, but I don't think it was completely terrible. I think the two main issues with this episode were when it took place and how much tried to happen all at once. If this had all happened before the Super special as either two episodes or as a subplot across multiple different episodes, this might not have been as big of a disappointment. Things playing out like this at this stage of the game, the episode really comes across as "filler;" however, even that isn't really accurate since several significant plot points occur (Piccolo's elimination and Universe 4's erasure). That might be what makes it worse, actually: an important plot episode with the feeling of filler. I don't know, I really didn't care for this episode. Bottom 5 of the tournament, in my book.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

SSJ3MJ

Post by SSJ3MJ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:42 pm

I enjoyed this episode for what it was worth. It was cool to see Goku and friends use their wits to beat an opponent than just use raw power.

I'm glad U4 was over and done with in one episode. They souly existed to be fodder for U7 and U6 nothing more. You know your team is nothing but scrubs when Roshi can take out half of them and its captain. Like it of not U6 and U2 got the good send off they deserved because they went through character development. U3 went through no such thing and were given no reason to care about them and Caway is the only person I care about in U4 and that's because of fan service reasons. Oh all the universes in this tournament, U4 should have been one of the early ones to go. So lets stop pretending to care about U3. Its amazing how everyone complains how Goku and friends don't just eliminate everyone they fight right away, but complain anyway when they actually do that and not drag the fights a number of unnecessary episodes. DBS just can seem to win at anything.

As far as things go for Piccolo, his elimination doesn't bother me. He though he was fighting another invisible enemy and made a mistake. Yes, he has great hearing, but he obviously was too focused on Demon's ki to try and listen to him. And he likely didn't have enough time to react in time to use his arms to get himself back into the ring. Piccolo had his moment in the spotlight last episode and I'm satisfied with that

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:
-Piccolo couldn't hear Damon? Piccolo? Are you kidding me Super? Does anyone on the current staff even understand Namekian biology anymore!?
Since this keeps getting brought up (and rightfully so) I might as well repeat it here : apparently the writer for this episode is a newcomer to DB. This might explain why something as well-known as Piccolo's super hearing might have slipped their mind? I mean, it's not that he went out that bothers me so much, but the reason they used to have him fail. I know he mentions how he should've focused on his hearing himself, but that almost felt like lampshading. It's kinda hard to think this wouldn't have been picked up by someone and corrected.

And this is me probably being a little immature, but I can't help they did this to make 17 look cool. Same as they did when 18 was suddenly so uptight about him jumping him to save her.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Been a long time I don't mind the inconsistencies in Super, the PIccolo issue to me was more that he got thrown out so... stupidly??? Then he just looked like 'oh I screwed up, sorry guys, will do better next time', terrible, terrible directing. Terrible choice, I mean I don't mind Piccolo getting thrown out, it was bound to happen, but not like this... In previous episode he could have been thrown out with more class. This episode had yet another 'we don't care much' vibe that I wish would disappear from Super as is preventing it to be the great series it should and actually has the potential to be. IMO

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Comments on this episode:

- So what's the point of having modes that only boost your speed or power when you have one that does both? Does using the ultimate mode consume more energy or something, or does it have a time limit?
- The animation on this fight isn't very good so far, IMO
- Before wondering what it was, you should probably get away from the edge so it doesn't happen again, Vegeta
- An invisible opponent whose ki can't be sensed (I guess because he's really good at suppressing it) would be formidable, but can't they listen for him? Or if he's not all that fast, just counterattack as soon as he strikes?
- Did Beerus break the Fourth Wall by calling invisibility an old trick, calling back to the invisible man in Dragonball?
- I guess Gamisaras didn't attack Piccolo while he was charging that attack because... reasons
- Also you would figure such a huge attack would cover more of the arena than that... it razed an entire island in the 23rd Budokai.
- Piccolo really gets drained using an attack that only damages a small part of the arena like that? He should easily be able to create a blast big enough to envelop the whole thing
- I don't really like the music here...
- A better plan would have been to just have these guys hide until only one enemy was left
- Okay, if he's a ki user, can't he just power up and blow all of that dust off of him? Doing that would give away his ki signature but he could suppress it again later
- How does Piccolo disappear, move at super speed to get behind someone, and then slow himself to match their speed if he can't use bukujutsu? It makes no sense
- The mouth beam was pretty nice though
- I actually kind of liked Hop so it's nice to see her return, even as an illusion
- I'm confused, can Shantsa actually make his illusions solid, or is Damon just using them as cover to attack like Gohan said?
- Does he need line of sight for the illusions to work? Because otherwise there's no reason to expose himself like that
- Also, can't Shantsa fly?
- Geez, Piccolo, get away from the edge - Vegeta made this same mistake
- It's nice to see another Universe 7 elimination but it could have been handled much better if you ask me
- Wait, can 17 sense ki now?
- So how come Damon's attacks were moving everybody before but now they're not moving 17 at all?
- I also thought Damon and Gamisaras were supposed to be palette swaps. Did they retcon that like the Jiren/Toppo thing, or did we just get incorrect information?
- So if he can't change direction in mid-air, how is 17 missing him like that? Come to think of it, if he relies on jumping, doesn't that mean he can't jump too fast or he'll fall off the arena, and after he jumps he has to rely on gravity to pull him back down before he can jump again? I don't see how he could possibly make so many rapid attacks from so many different angles under those conditions
- Why not just fire one big blast that covers the entire volume he could be in?
- I like the reprise of the OP theme here
- I just thought of something - Damon with Ultra Instinct would be virtually unbeatable
- I would have liked to see Quitela actually try attacking everyone before being erased
- I actually think, contrary to what the narrator said, that the tournament is a lot less intense now that there are so few remaining fighters
- The Universe 3 fighters better at least eliminate one more Universe 7 fighter before the confrontation with Universe 11 goes down
- Assassin? Killing isn't allowed... or is it an assassin in its normal life, like Hit?

This episode certainly could have been a lot better
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Since the ToP is decided by the most remaining fighters, Quitela should have just left the invisible guy + bug guy doing nothing. Seriously. They would have had a better chance to survive doing nothing than to fight Universe 7. They should have let Jiren take everyone out and Goku take Jiren out and then say oh yeah we have an invisible guy and a really small guy btw. If everyone except for Jiren / Goku is gone by that point Universe 4 would have won

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:11 pm

gofishus wrote: They should have let Jiren take everyone out and Goku take Jiren out and then say oh yeah we have an invisible guy and a really small guy btw. If everyone except for Jiren / Goku is gone by that point Universe 4 would have won
Exactly, I mean that would be a good twist as everyone expected U7 to be winner and nobody could predict what would came next
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: - Also you would figure such a huge attack would cover more of the arena than that... it razed an entire island in the 23rd Budokai.
- Piccolo really gets drained using an attack that only damages a small part of the arena like that? He should easily be able to create a blast big enough to envelop the whole thing
- It wouldn't make sense to try to do more than that, he'd risk hitting one of his team mates. More than that it seemed to be directed mostly forward instead off all around him.
-Considering he's been having problems with his stamina since 106 when he had to regenerate three arms, and then fought constantly against opponents that were at least his equal, I'd say that part was believable. And it's not like he was shown to be out of energy afterwards, Whis just said they can't afford to use a technique like that constantly as it draining.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 pm

gofishus wrote:Since the ToP is decided by the most remaining fighters, Quitela should have just left the invisible guy + bug guy doing nothing. Seriously. They would have had a better chance to survive doing nothing than to fight Universe 7. They should have let Jiren take everyone out and Goku take Jiren out and then say oh yeah we have an invisible guy and a really small guy btw. If everyone except for Jiren / Goku is gone by that point Universe 4 would have won
That rat is too stupid to figure out something like this, he seriously thought that just being invincible or too small despite being weak af is enough to take out Jiren and UI Goku

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:57 pm

I thought that there would have been a bit more stuff involving Piccolo and his U6 kin last week that felt important for Piccolo going forward, but once they were eliminated I guess Super determined that it was unnecessary having Piccolo around any longer. Nothing much of any substance with that, but understandable considering the situation. Here, we're reminded that Piccolo isn't the sharp, intelligent tactician that we thought he was. I suredly had #18 joining the slick-headed trio before our super slug-man. Another of my little predictions gone wrong. :lol:

Eh, for the universe and existence being on the line, Piccolo looked kinda novice out there at times. I don't mind the hearing thing, considering all the noise on the field, but... what happened to stretchy arms being on standby when he was so near the edge? Even being caught off guard, I would think that he would be able to withstand the attack from that tiny creature... thing. Piccolo going out was inevitably going to happen, but I figured it would take more than that. It is what it is.

Other than that, Piccolo at least got some good bits in during this tournament. I just needed a Gekiritsu Kodan!! C'mon, Super... :x

... still, better than what poor Ten got, by far.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 am

Hey guys sorry for asking and at the risk of looking dumb but I'm having a doubt and too lazy to check, is the hearing thing about Piccolo canon or not lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:Hey guys sorry for asking and at the risk of looking dumb but I'm having a doubt and too lazy to check, is the hearing thing about Piccolo canon or not lol
Yeah, it's canon. Piccolo states that he could hear the conversation between Goku and Future Trunks when they first meet in the Android/Cell arc despite being so far away because his sense of hearing is much better than Goku's(i.e. the average being):
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]