Super Episode 120 (17 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Draconic
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 120 (17 December 2017)

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:21 am

This was trash. There's literally no good reason to give these piece of shit U3 characters an episode of their own, especially this late in the game. After being fodder the whole tournament, they should've just went straight to Aniraza and actually have something cool going on.

Or, at the very least, if you really want to have a Megazord in there, why not have it battle the Power Rangers? U3 vs U11 would be miles more interesting. Hitting two birds with one stone, you hype up Toppo and Dyspo and with Aniraza coming, you can have him be a threat even to Jiren.

Seriously, this episode isn't bad. It's pretty neat in fact. Cool action, nice directing... But I couldn't bring myself to give a shit about anything that was happening. Those horrible robot designs killed any good moment. They just don't deserve to be on the recieving end of fun team-ups and cool strategies. They should just drop out with one of Gohan's farts.

I hate this episode with a passion. It made me feel like I was watching GT and that's the lowest Super's ever gone for me. Makes my skin crawl.

Also, what the fuck is up with the next episode? Goku and Vegeta are using weaker forms against a stronger version of the same guy they just went Blue for? They shouldn't have gone Blue in the first place! They're goddamn tin cans!

At least the idea that Freeza is part of Aniraza was shot down quickly. Don't think I could take a whole week of that bullshit from this section's regulars.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 am

I wasn't looking forward to this episode but surprisingly it was somehow good and next episode looks even better.

However, there was some stupid writing here. I know this is not something new, but especially since there are even less fighters now it became more annoying. When Gohan started his fight with the meged robots to the point before Vegeta and Goku join to help, literally everyone was just watching without doing any shit, including universe 11. Why even bother calling it battle royale. It's funny how Gohan was trying to beat the robots himself so Vegeta and Goku could fight Jiren with full stamina, but then they helped him and went straight to SSB lol. They could've went straight to fight Jiren together with full stamina but nah final boss should be the last obviously. And Jiren and friends are just standing there waiting in the line to fight the amazing universe 7, aren't they?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:39 am

I' stil getting over the shock that Universe 3 has got this far, but they are pretty cool. A very action packed episode with a lot of forward momentum and character. Though I did kind of get annoyed at GOhan going "I have to do this on my own!"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 am

Draconic wrote:This was trash. There's literally no good reason to give these piece of shit U3 characters an episode of their own, especially this late in the game. After being fodder the whole tournament, they should've just went straight to Aniraza and actually have something cool going on.

Or, at the very least, if you really want to have a Megazord in there, why not have it battle the Power Rangers? U3 vs U11 would be miles more interesting. Hitting two birds with one stone, you hype up Toppo and Dyspo and with Aniraza coming, you can have him be a threat even to Jiren.

Seriously, this episode isn't bad. It's pretty neat in fact. Cool action, nice directing... But I couldn't bring myself to give a shit about anything that was happening. Those horrible robot designs killed any good moment. They just don't deserve to be on the recieving end of fun team-ups and cool strategies. They should just drop out with one of Gohan's farts.

I hate this episode with a passion. It made me feel like I was watching GT and that's the lowest Super's ever gone for me. Makes my skin crawl.

Also, what the fuck is up with the next episode? Goku and Vegeta are using weaker forms against a stronger version of the same guy they just went Blue for? They shouldn't have gone Blue in the first place! They're goddamn tin cans!

At least the idea that Freeza is part of Aniraza was shot down quickly. Don't think I could take a whole week of that bullshit from this section's regulars.
You sound very mixed about this episode.

Your entire post can be simplified to, "this was a pretty good episode, but I despise it and everything it represents with a passion." :lol:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:56 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Draconic wrote:This was trash. There's literally no good reason to give these piece of shit U3 characters an episode of their own, especially this late in the game. After being fodder the whole tournament, they should've just went straight to Aniraza and actually have something cool going on.

You sound very mixed about this episode.

Your entire post can be simplified to, "this was a pretty good episode, but I despise it and everything it represents with a passion." :lol:
Pretty much. I think it was better than it had any reason to be, especially in the context of Universe 4, the one actually getting the build up, getting wasted an episode prior to this. But at the same time, it didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Nothing was really surprising here. It's a competent episode on all fronts... And that makes it pretty uninteresting.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am

Aniraza does resemble Hatchiyack a little bit, but the same could be said for Super Janemba. Interesting design for sure, hope he lays a beating next week :D

Android350

Post by Android350 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 am

Watching 18 and 17 handle Viara as if they were trashing an old car was rather cool!

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 am

Much better episode really made me feel excited for the fights.

Vegeta is actually being well handled this time, that's always good, loved the way Gohan was written and the team ups.

Also, hahaha, i knew U3 would end up being miles better than U4 and i was right.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 am

I liked it overall. If there's one problem I have, it's that it feels incomplete. Something about the cliffhanger just felt a bit off. It kind of felt like a halfway point of an episode rather than an ending cliffhanger. And about 17 and 18 vs the robot guy... not really a fan. All they did was shoot him with ki blasts over and over and over again until he literally exploded. It's cool that they utulized the infinite energy thing, but the fight left a lot to be desired.

Gohan vs the other robots was pretty good, though. I liked how Goku and Vegeta pretty much went Blue to fake out the opponent so they can buy time for Gohan.

Pepperoni boy laughed waaaay too much. He felt too much like a generic evil scientist to me.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:54 am

Sort of boring. Gohan got good exposition and U3 surprising everyone at how far they`ve come is bound to be a mixed bag, narratively speaking..but good use of the androids again. I guess what hurts the most is the shit fake tension regarding Goku, they absolutely can`t have him sit one episode out to "recover"? Ehhh.

Gezz, I`m one of those guys bored with Goku now but I can`t even rationalize it as positive. He`s tired but somehow always recharges batteries with more fighting like he`s Duracell bunny.
The_Destroyer wrote:Anyone else notice SSG Goku in Yamcha pose in the NEP :lol:
Best part of the episode :crazy: they gotta milk it somehow.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:15 am

It's incredible how this series has no kind of coherence whatsoever. Nigrisshi was established as the strongest warrior in universe 3, yet he may as well be the weakest. The three opponents Gohan fought this episode were giving him trouble despite the fact that they were taken out by base Caulifla a few episodes ago. I'm not opposed to U3 getting their own episode, I'm opposed to these fighters getting their own episode when what they show this episode contradicts everything else we know about their own universe. You can't expect us to buy a threat if you don't tell us consistently how credible of a threat they are. This also makes Gohan look bad, considering his job in this tournament seems to be to get his ass kicked even in his strongest form by literally everyone in existence only to pull some extra power out of his ass at the end to win. If he was so strong that he could just win, why didn't he do it from the start? They don't even bother giving an explanation as to why Gohan doesn't use his full-power from the start, he just doesn't.

Dr. Paparoni's design never seems consistent either, sometimes he has pointy ears, sometimes he doesn't.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:17 am

Doctor. wrote:It's incredible how this series has no kind of coherence whatsoever. Nigrisshi was established as the strongest warrior in universe 3, yet he may as well be the weakest. The three opponents Gohan fought this episode were giving him trouble despite the fact that they were taken out by base Caulifla a few episodes ago. I'm not opposed to U3 getting their own episode, I'm opposed to these fighters getting their own episode when what they show this episode contradicts everything else we know about their own universe. You can't expect us to buy a threat if you don't tell us consistently how credible of a threat they are. This also makes Gohan look bad, considering his job in this tournament seems to be to get his ass kicked even in his strongest form by literally everyone in existence only to pull some extra power out of his ass at the end to win. If he was so strong that he could just win, why didn't he do it from the start? They don't even bother giving an explanation as to why Gohan doesn't use his full-power from the start, he just doesn't.

Dr. Paparoni's design never seems consistent either, sometimes he has pointy ears, sometimes he doesn't.
Gohan would surely struggle against Nigrisshi as well.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Doctor. wrote:It's incredible how this series has no kind of coherence whatsoever. Nigrisshi was established as the strongest warrior in universe 3, yet he may as well be the weakest. The three opponents Gohan fought this episode were giving him trouble despite the fact that they were taken out by base Caulifla a few episodes ago. I'm not opposed to U3 getting their own episode, I'm opposed to these fighters getting their own episode when what they show this episode contradicts everything else we know about their own universe. You can't expect us to buy a threat if you don't tell us consistently how credible of a threat they are. This also makes Gohan look bad, considering his job in this tournament seems to be to get his ass kicked even in his strongest form by literally everyone in existence only to pull some extra power out of his ass at the end to win. If he was so strong that he could just win, why didn't he do it from the start? They don't even bother giving an explanation as to why Gohan doesn't use his full-power from the start, he just doesn't.

Gohan would surely struggle against Nigrisshi as well.
Gohan would struggle against a housefly at this point.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:50 am

As others have already said, this episode is miles above the previous one. To me it's on par with 118. I thought the art in this episode was pretty good, aside from some wonky shots in the second half (still, this is Gohan's best episodes in Super in terms of how he was drawn imo). The fight between the 3 robots and the saiyans was alright, but I liked the androids fight against Viara a little better because I love seeing the 2 androids working together. It's great that 18 got another elimination, but the NEP doesn't look very good for her and she may get eliminated. I'm honestly fine with that. She made it to the final 10 and eliminated a bunch of people, plus had some great interactions with Goku and 17. I just hope she will interact with Vegeta and maybe Freeza before she goes out.

Some other comments:

Mosco is my favorite new God because of how he talks.

Why is Compari standing and not sitting?

Paparoni was a little annoying, and I expected him to fight but sadly he did nothing. His name though is so awesome, almost as good as The Preecho.

I want to see Vados talking to Whis and comment on the fights, but sadly she's just sitting there watching.

I liked the scene where Gohan said sorry to Paparoni.

I think Vegeta called the robots "scrap metal bastards" like 4 times in this episode.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51 am

I agree with the Niggrishi part in some sense , althought he was stated to be the best modified warrior (which is not the same as the best fighter) before some of his other team mates were "updated" as well. However i can't say the same about the robots, it is true that they were taken out by base Caulifla, but because she pretty much appeared out of nowhere and took them off guard, that doesn't mean that they're that weak, assuming this would be like thinking that Goku Black's ssj rose was weaker than Trunks in ep 57 just because he held his own against him for a little while.
Furthermore, i'm pretty sure that Gohan took them out thanks to Goku and Vegeta (he was pretty much being the ass kicker when they were not merged together), i don't get the "oh Gohan was getting his ass kicked and then suddenly used more power to win", hell so far i don't remember any fight of his in which he simply won by suddenly using more power, as he won Obuni thanks to him running out of energy for his fakes, and the namekians with Piccolo's help, he was sttruggling a bit, that's it, then Goku and Vegeta helped him out to allow him to charge enough energy to defeat the db Zord, which in the end didn't work because surprise surprise they are no weaklings (much less given the fact they were fused)

Now off topic, am i the only one confused with the whole modified warriors thing? i mean with Niggrisshi it seemed like it meant cyborg warriors or something like that but then we have some things such as the fighters in this episode which seemed to be like simple robots and yet are still called "modified warrriors".Mayi kayo didn't even seem like a cyborg at all, he looked more like a Buu kind character with his weird body and all.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:19 am

more fodder trash. we know anyraza gonna be a weakling and will be defeated in one episode. god i get tired of this arc. 23 frikin episodes of nothing but fighting? where is the godamm story behind those charecters? they are just nobodies. bunch of fodder trash ready to be eliminated. thats it

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:30 am

Gohan holding back is easily the most annoying example of the entire arc because the entire mother fucking point of Ultimate is to give you a SS3+ level boost in whats essentially your base form. It's tailor made to be permanent and to not be wasteful! It was designed as a critique of how shit 3 and by extension extraneous transformations themselves are!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 am

ekrolo2 wrote:

Gohan holding back is easily the most annoying example of the entire arc because the entire mother fucking point of Ultimate is to give you a SS3+ level boost in whats essentially your base form. It's tailor made to be permanent and to not be wasteful! It was designed as a critique of how shit 3 and by extension extraneous transformations themselves are!
I mean, I'd totally get it if they made Gohan have some kind of emotional trauma after the erasure of U10 and Obuni, which makes him unconsciously hold back out of guilt. But no, they're writing his personality normally, which is irritating.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 pm

puar wrote:more fodder trash. we know anyraza gonna be a weakling and will be defeated in one episode. god i get tired of this arc. 23 frikin episodes of nothing but fighting? where is the godamm story behind those charecters? they are just nobodies. bunch of fodder trash ready to be eliminated. thats it
There isn't enough time for it, and based on the people here, most wouldn't enjoy the exposition anyways.
Feels over Reals.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Just get to the Jiren rematch already. It's not interesting to watch U7 wash over a legion of fodder characters devoid of any personality or intelligence. There is virtually 0 reasons why Goku, Vegeta and Gohan didn't go all out and obliterate what is left of Universe 3 or tried to stop the doctor guy from enacting his secret technique. The weak excuse 'They are saving their energy for later' no longer works, as there are only 10 minutes left in the Tournament.

Compare this arc to the Zamasu arc: the difference in suspense, tension and drama is blatant.

But, as i am not a blind hater, i will remain positive for the next episode, mainly because i think someone in the U7's team will be eliminated (possibly Android 18?). However, i'd like the plot to move forward as soon as possible, since i believe someone (possibly the Grand Priest?) is conducting something shadowy behind the scenes.