Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Post by Asura » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
MrEmperorChampa wrote:Wow, this episode got quite a lot of praise than I thought. Not to say it was a bad episode, I mean look at the fantastic animation cuts and sequences, but this video explores quite a bit on what sours the episode and Super as a whole: https://youtu.be/Rxe8NF9sO30
Just when the cancer in this fanbase continues to remain unneutralized. *Sigh*

What's honestly the appeal behind these kinds of videos? It's basically yet again another temperamental guy behind his screen uploading what he believes will be the most relevant rant in the DB society to WAKE UP THE SUPER FANBOYS in the most mundane way possible. Screaming and hissing redundantly at your computer screen with won't help get your point across. The fact that this guy has the audacity to bring up cognitive dissonance is astoundingly laughable.
I was going to comment, but your post pretty much sums up my feelings fully.
Supersaiyanbulla wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:Cool episode. 17 was based af and needs to win the tournament if not Frieza but we know it's gonna be Goku.

Also lol I can't believe people are taking the NEP of Vegeta barely getting a hit or two on a heavily suppressed Jiren takes this as Vegeta being stronger than SSBKKx20 Goku. 1. He's working with Goku to take on Jiren while Goku and Hit had to fight him one on one. 2. Jiren barely even look phased at all from any of those hits and is literally just holding back.

Jiren will power up a little more near the end after Vegeta's Final Flash does nothing to him and then proceed to destroy Vegeta until Goku awakens UI again in 123 so he could take on a more serious Jiren. Once Vegeta is eliminated then we'll have the real fight begin.
He’s not working with goku this is literally said to be Vegeta vs jiren not goku and Vegeta vs jiren and barely look phase wtf are you trolling
Yeah because he obviously looked like he was just messing around and let’s pretend like he wasn’t serious and sweating against Vegeta in that preview denial I swear everyone on this site is doing it and most of the YouTubers are definitely in denial mainly qaaman land and rhythmstye
You can see both Goku and Vegeta fighting Jiren at the same time in the NEP. Lets wait before jumping to conclusions. 8 times out of 10 when people get pissy about an NEP it turns out there was no reason to be pissy in the first place.

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Asura wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
MrEmperorChampa wrote:Wow, this episode got quite a lot of praise than I thought. Not to say it was a bad episode, I mean look at the fantastic animation cuts and sequences, but this video explores quite a bit on what sours the episode and Super as a whole: https://youtu.be/Rxe8NF9sO30

What's honestly the appeal behind these kinds of videos? It's basically yet again another temperamental guy behind his screen uploading what he believes will be the most relevant rant in the DB society to WAKE UP THE SUPER FANBOYS in the most mundane way possible. Screaming and hissing redundantly at your computer screen with won't help get your point across. The fact that this guy has the audacity to bring up cognitive dissonance is astoundingly laughable.
I was going to comment, but your post pretty much sums up my feelings fully.
Supersaiyanbulla wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:Cool episode. 17 was based af and needs to win the tournament if not Frieza but we know it's gonna be Goku.

Also lol I can't believe people are taking the NEP of Vegeta barely getting a hit or two on a heavily suppressed Jiren takes this as Vegeta being stronger than SSBKKx20 Goku. 1. He's working with Goku to take on Jiren while Goku and Hit had to fight him one on one. 2. Jiren barely even look phased at all from any of those hits and is literally just holding back.

Jiren will power up a little more near the end after Vegeta's Final Flash does nothing to him and then proceed to destroy Vegeta until Goku awakens UI again in 123 so he could take on a more serious Jiren. Once Vegeta is eliminated then we'll have the real fight begin.
He’s not working with goku this is literally said to be Vegeta vs jiren not goku and Vegeta vs jiren and barely look phase wtf are you trolling
Yeah because he obviously looked like he was just messing around and let’s pretend like he wasn’t serious and sweating against Vegeta in that preview denial I swear everyone on this site is doing it and most of the YouTubers are definitely in denial mainly qaaman land and rhythmstye
You can see both Goku and Vegeta fighting Jiren at the same time in the NEP. Lets wait before jumping to conclusions. 8 times out of 10 when people get pissy about an NEP it turns out there was no reason to be pissy in the first place.
I’m not really getting pissy this is just how I act online.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Maybe Vegeta gets so angry, he surpasses Ultra Instinct in his SSJB state.

Cause, you know, it's not the first time he does this bullshit.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:59 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Maybe Vegeta gets so angry, he surpasses Ultra Instinct in his SSJB state.

Cause, you know, it's not the first time he does this bullshit.
Maybe Jiren is holding back™ because... reasons. We need flashy explosions to happen.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:

Yeah I skipped through the video and it was pretty stupid. He does bring up some points I do agree with though (sadly haha). The Goku's stamina thing has been a low point of this arc and yeah it doesn't make sense for Vegeta to test Anilazas power using SSJ when he knows this is an even more powerful version of opponent that took SSB to even compete with.

I think eating them would have been clever as long as Anilaza didn't kill the opponent.

I don't mind the 17 stuff honestly it was creative and he was furious at losing 18, that's how he overpowered that ki blast (also with the help of everyone else pushing the blast as well).

I don't get his hate at the Universe 3 God of Destruction. He was obviously shy or something so he hid in the robot. He thanked his Angel for all the support in helping with that.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 am

My least favorite part of this episode is everyone speculating about 122 when we should all know by now not to bother. Jiren likely isn't nerfed.

My favorite part of this episode is that Android 17's barrier is roughly KK*5 or more in durability.

Great episode minus some small stuff. Bring on the real goods now, 2018!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:18 am

Nickolaidas wrote:Power levels are bullshit and can fuck right the fuck off. They're the reason dozen of once-upon-a-time-awesome characters became obscure and turned them into cheap fodder. Kudos to Super for giving the finger to PLs and making Dragon Ball all about the awesomesauce once more.
While I agree with this general sentiment, I think they've made a mistake by essentially completely abandoning any sense of consistent power scaling without replacing it with something else. As in, they should've slowly phased out power levels in favor of tactical fights that rely on strategy. But since they haven't done that, the fights just seem really sloppy a lot of the times now. There's nothing to fill the void, so fights usually still end up getting resolved by one character powering up and screaming louder. But that only works when we can gauge how strong these guys are relative to each other so it makes sense and has impact. Without a consistent power scale, all of these power ups just come off as empty, arbitrary nonsense.

They need to develop the fights to be more tactical if they want to totally flush out power levels.
ekrolo2 wrote:I can't be the only one who's sick of them having people revert to weaker levels of power just so they can old school Z movie it by having "big epic" transformation sequences for Blue and Ultimate over and over again. Seriously, I feel like there's a "Holy shit! Here's SSBlue guise!" moment every episode.
Yea, they have absolutely driven SSB into the ground in this arc. It's fuckin dead and lame at this point. The recruitment episodes dug a grave, and the tournament itself buried it for good.
AloversGaming wrote:Mistakenly wrote this in trend for 120, just gonna paste it here. Merry Christmas, all <3.

One of my favourite aspects of Dragon Ball Super over Z has been the number of times Goku teamed up with friends to battle the enemy. Ever since the Dragon Team surrounded #19 & #20 at West City i've always wanted to see a 2 vs. 2 or whole team vs. a villain instead of Goku fighting while everyone watched.

DBS has been bringing that dream to life for awhile. From Goku and Trunks vs. Black and Zamasu, to this tournament; it's so cool seeing him be part of a team. Surprisingly he's good at playing leader, making sure to check everyone's status this episode, to saving #18. Just little cool moments I never thought i'd see from Goku before Super was announced.

This was a fun episode, too. I'm sad it was #18 that was knocked out, now there's no more females left in the tournament. But she went out in a cool manner, and her little moment with Goku and #17 was cute.

Who knows when we'll get to see #18 fight again.. if ever.
Super has made me realize how robbed we were of Goku interactions with other fighters in DBZ. He was literally gone 90% of the time, and I just sort of accepted that as the norm growing up. But Super has opened my eyes to the fact that that is a MAJOR issue with DBZ.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:20 am

I wouldn't say that. DBZ has plenty of Goku interaction with Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan, Piccolo, etc. He talks to Tien as little now as he did back then.

The only major difference of course is seeing Goku interact with 17 and 18. It's funny in the Buu arc when Goku came back we see 18 staring at him blank-spaced because she never met him before. Now they're good friends.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 am

All I want for Christmas is for the title of this thread to get changed to accurately reflect the date which the episode aired.
Ajay wrote:...
I can see you're online, is it possible to grant my wish?

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:36 am

Vegeta having too little screentime throughout the tournament? Really? People will complain about the dumbest fucking shit. Didn't bother no one that Goku usually showed up at the last moment in Z just to save the day, and now it's a huge problem that Vegeta is being clearly saved up for later. The DB fandom is so impatient and short-sighted it's baffling.

Android350

Post by Android350 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:29 am

1 ki blast would've kept 18 from having to be rescued by Goku.
2 ki blasts would've kept 18 in the tournament.
How could she not think of this?

We'll probably never see her fighting again.... :cry:

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:42 am

I'm a bit torn on this too. There are many possible explanations:
- Vegeta simply being superior to Goku at the same transformation level - heavily hinted several times already, though it would not explain a 20x+ difference by no means. 1.1-1.3x stronger than Goku would still be a stretch
- Jiren indeed taking it slow and holding back, just to give Vegeta a false sense of hope. I'm not insisting that's gotta be the case, but I don't understand how Goku's been holding back to varying degrees all tournament long, but when Jiren does the same it's suddenly far-fetched
- Temporary rage boost for Vegeta.
- Vegeta vs Recoome type scenario. At first it also looked like Vegeta had the advantage. Only at first though

Can't see any other options really.

Bio Broly

Post by Bio Broly » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Did/can someone make a gif of Shin laughing? He was hilarious :D

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:18 pm

well there is a spoiler video of episodes 122-125 floating around so all this vegeta and jiren talk can be addressed now

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Upon re-evaluation, does anyone else feel like Aniraza was too much of a final boss? Obviously, Jiren is supposed to be the final obstacle to overcome in this tournament, but I feel like Aniraza was so over the top that it’s going to be difficult for Jiren to really feel like such an impressive force at this point. Think about it, Aniraza was depicted as being such a massive threat that Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, 17, and Freeza, all had to team up in order to take him down. Meanwhile, the very next episode is apparently supposed to involve Vegeta going up against Jiren by himself.

How exactly are we supposed to view Jiren as some amazing obstacle to overcome if the guy they beat before him required 5 people to take down?

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

How did 17 "fly" to Anilaza? It was clearly flying this time, "jumping too high" excuse won't work here.
Seriously this stupid role is useless and never did any significant changes, it's only there so they keep forgetting about it.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 am

My favourite joke is Universe 7 led by Goku, and Universe 11 led by Jiren. It's like they didn't give a crap about Gohan in the leader role (Which they really didn't XD), as well as Toppo who is the leader of the pride troopers. It's all about dem strongest.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 am

dbzfan7 wrote:My favourite joke is Universe 7 led by Goku, and Universe 11 led by Jiren. It's like they didn't give a crap about Gohan in the leader role (Which they really didn't XD), as well as Toppo who is the leader of the pride troopers. It's all about dem strongest.
Its not really a joke,they just became self aware.Not to mention Gohan and Toppo are both terrible leaders anyways,so nothing of value is lost.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 am

Meh, this arc is starting to leave a bitter taste in my mouth... They STILL can save it by making great last 10 eps, I sure hope they will......

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:34 am

dbzfan7 wrote:My favourite joke is Universe 7 led by Goku, and Universe 11 led by Jiren. It's like they didn't give a crap about Gohan in the leader role (Which they really didn't XD), as well as Toppo who is the leader of the pride troopers. It's all about dem strongest.
"Gohan is the leader" was just a poorly written random line. They literally forgot about it almost immediately lol