Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 am

Now that's was a good episode compesating for the last week disaster!

- So Goku used SSJ God, it would be a good opportunity to Vegeta use this same form too or he don't have in the anime? :think:

- So Anilaza is a giant Hatchyack with Janemba abilities? So cool! :D

- Freeza saved Goku who saved 18 who saved 17... I bet you didn't see that coming! :P

- But if Anilaza eaten 18 wouldn't he be disqualified for it?

- Full power at last! I was about to complain for them not using their full potential against that eyesore!

- Anilaza defeat was typical for a movie antagonist and U7 combined techniques didn't killed him? It felt like he was about to be desintegrated! :o

- So Mosco is a God Of Destruction in a Mecha Suit? Didn't see that coming either :D

- Why Vegeta cares if 17 "steals the spotlight"? Sometimes I really despise his characterization on this series :problem:

- Just as I predicted U7 vs. U11 will be let for the next year and was Vegeta really pummeling Jiren as a SSJB when Goku needed UI to touch him? How amusing :clap:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:06 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I can't be the only one who's sick of them having people revert to weaker levels of power just so they can old school Z movie it by having "big epic" transformation sequences for Blue and Ultimate over and over again. Seriously, I feel like there's a "Holy shit! Here's SSBlue guise!" moment every episode.
I feel like the only one that felt needlessly over the top epic was Golden Freeza's reused transformation back in Episode 94. Goku, Vegeta and Gohan tapping into their Blue/Ultimate felt more casual though.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:09 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I can't be the only one who's sick of them having people revert to weaker levels of power just so they can old school Z movie it by having "big epic" transformation sequences for Blue and Ultimate over and over again. Seriously, I feel like there's a "Holy shit! Here's SSBlue guise!" moment every episode.
I feel like the only one that felt needlessly over the top epic was Golden Freeza's reused transformation back in Episode 94. Goku, Vegeta and Gohan tapping into their Blue/Ultimate felt more casual though.
Nah, Blue gets a big epic moment every damn episode now, like they still think it's cool and fresh and new when it's been the standard for over 80 episodes now. Gohan needing to power up into Ultimate has an added layer of stupid since Ultimate is just your Base form but hundreds of times stronger, it has no stamina drain or anything to speak of so why's he constantly powering down.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:12 am

I usually agree with that sentiment, it's there for "false tension".

It doesn't apply here as much though.

This fight clearly wasn't about brute force. And Gohan went Ultimate right away. The other big 3 do try to save up stamina.

No point turning blue or Golden if your attacks won't even land. I think they used it efficiently here.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:13 am

Oh MAN are things getting good! Second half of this episode was stellar and 122 looks likes it's gonna be epic :clap:

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:13 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Nah, Blue gets a big epic moment every damn episode now, like they still think it's cool and fresh and new when it's been the standard for over 80 episodes now. Gohan needing to power up into Ultimate has an added layer of stupid since Ultimate is just your Base form but hundreds of times stronger, it has no stamina drain or anything to speak of so why's he constantly powering down.
I still appreciate the lack of the overused choir that pops up 24/7 every time Goku transforms in this goddamned arc. Maybe that's how it felt more casual to me.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:15 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Gohan needing to power up into Ultimate has an added layer of stupid since Ultimate is just your Base form but hundreds of times stronger, it has no stamina drain or anything to speak of so why's he constantly powering down.
And his "bang hair" being used to differentiate this "form" to his "Base", how ridiculous.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:19 am

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Gohan needing to power up into Ultimate has an added layer of stupid since Ultimate is just your Base form but hundreds of times stronger, it has no stamina drain or anything to speak of so why's he constantly powering down.
And his "bang hair" being used to differentiate this "form" to his "Base", how ridiculous.
Yeah man, you and I share the same goddamn sentiments. This would've been a SSOOOOO much better and ideal Ultimate form for Gohan
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Elvis143BRA

Post by Elvis143BRA » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:21 am

Nickolaidas wrote:Power levels are bullshit and can fuck right the fuck off. They're the reason dozen of once-upon-a-time-awesome characters became obscure and turned them into cheap fodder. Kudos to Super for giving the finger to PLs and making Dragon Ball all about the awesomesauce once more.
They are not bullshit. They are what kept consistency in DBZ. And this arc is severely lacking that. If Goku couldn't do shit against Jiren, then so can't Vegeta (at least, logically). The writers have probably realized that they made Jiren too strong and need to nerf him now.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:21 am

This episode was mixed bag. It had a bunch of positives and negatives.

Positives:
- Decent teamwork.
- Gohan actually acting like a leader.
- Building up on #17, #18 and Kuririn's relationship.
- Some awesome looking cuts.
- Freeza saving Goku.

Negatives:
- Clueless tension due to awful power-scaling. Vegeta going SSJ to test this new opponent after the previous form could withstand Blue level attacks is laughable. I'm not even being particular, this is just ridiculous writing.
- Overused team beams. These are cool and all, there's a point where it's too much and when there isn't any effort to add a twist it becomes repetitive.
- Turning the last opposition of U3 the "technology Universe" into a growling monster.

Ultimately U3 left no lasting impression, a lot of potential wasted. I'm hoping for much more in the final clash with U11.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:48 am

Well animated episode, some shots looked pretty wonky though, especially with Freeza in the second half.

Aniraza looks very cool and intimidating, definitely one of the best ToP characters even if he was just a mindless monster.

Got excited a little when I saw Vegeta and 18 running next to eachother. I always wanted to see them interact ever since the Cell saga, but sadly they just refuse to talk to eachother.

Aniraza is punching everyone left and right, but no one besides maybe 17 at the end took any real damage. Also, what happened to 18's leg injury? It hasn't been brought up since she defeated Ribrianne. Did it get cured this fast? I honestly never even understood what was the point of the leg injury. It seems like the only reason they did that was to make 17 look cool. Think about it, whenever 18's leg injury was brought up, 17 was always there and saved her from an attack.

Good to see Freeza finally doing something. Him just watching the fights was starting to get really annoying.

How is eating opponents a good plan? Don't they get disqualified if they kill opponents? Is Whis all right?

Did Tien really just tell 18 to run? How was she supposed to do that?

18 was about to get eaten by an enemy again. Seems like everyone wants to eat her. First Cell, then Buu, now Aniraza.

Can't be the only one who felt some sexual tension between Goku and 18 when Goku saved 18 from Aniraza.

What happened to 17? He was right next to the other members of U7, but the next second he was standing near the end of the arena.

18 should have done what Krillin did to her when she was almost eliminated by that wolf. Sadly she didn't, which resulted in her getting eliminated. It was a touching and cool moment, but I expected a little more emotion from 17. 18 did surprisingly well in this tournament. Never thought she will eliminate 6 opponents, make it further than Piccolo and Hit, be the last female standing, and make it to the final 13.

Why did everyone look a little angry at 18 when she was sitting on the bench?

Yep, the moment I saw Freeza's awesome transformation in episode 94, I knew they will re-use it a lot in the tournament to save money.

The way Universe 7 defeated Aniraza was awesome and beautifully animated, especially 17's part.

Lol the little guy in Mosco caught me off-guard.

Jiren roasts Universe 7.. please Toei give him some actual personality because I have no idea what to think about him so far.

Good episode, better than the last 3, but I still think episode 117 was the best episode of the Tournament.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:11 am

Brettjr25 wrote:
Mercenary wrote:Lol, so much butthurt because Vegeta is performing well against Jiren.

I am glad that Veggie will get some love and hopefully Goku will defeat Jiren cooperating with Vegeta.

I would like this to happen because it wouldn't downgrade Jiren so much. It would need at least two strong warriors to take him down, not just Goku. It would give the better showing of Jiren.
"Butthurt"? People sure do like to act cliche on the internet. I dont think it's "butthurt" but confusion because the logic Super is throwing out doesn't seem to make sense. If SSB Vegeta could damage Jiren then wouldn't that imply SSB KKx10 Goku would destroy him? But thats not how things played out.

It just means SSB Vegeta is even stronger than SSBKKx20 Goku. And personally, I haven't got really a problem with that. Vegeta trained his ass off in Goku Black Arc (blew ROSAT) and then before the Tournament he blew up ROSAT again but this time without breaking a sweat.

He has improved significantly but people tend to sleep on him. Like, you don't really have a problem with Hit causing Jiren some trouble but you have problem with Vegeta performing well? And who is Vegeta? Some untalented weakling?

You are shocked because it's the result of your constant sleeping on Vegeta and trying to make a fool of him every single time during the fight he's gonna put. Even against Ribrianne. And I am not even such a big fan of Vegeta, cuz it's kinda hard to be a fan of a guy who is destined to job all the time, but it doesn't change a fact I can notice efforts he put and gains that he achieved.

He is probably the biggest hardworker (and also extremely talented) in DBS so he deserves it. Unbiasedly, he just deserves it.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:13 am

Pretty good episode overall. I'm mostly glad we're getting to the U7/11 showdown at last. I wonder if this fight is really going to last the full 9 minutes/9 more episodes. With everyone throwing down at once it doesn't seem like it should.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:24 am

Awesome episode. It looked like a Movie.

In the end, Universe 3 had a far better treatment than Universe 10 and Universe 4. I'm impressed.
Toei should have hyped Paparoni instead of Nigrisshi.

Something I loved about this episode is that everyone teamed up to fight against the villain. Something that rarely happens in this franchise.
It's usually everyone (except Vegeta and Goku) vs the villain - Goku alone - Vegeta alone - Goku again.

I don't like Anilaza. He's a mix of Hatchiyack, Hirudegarn and Janemba, but with a much worse design that any of those tree. So generic. It's actually a shame because he's the "canon" one.

C18 is finally eliminated and she went out in a good way.
Freeza and C17 were awesome.

The real U3 GoD being inside the robot was the greatest plot twist. He seemed to be a cool guy .I like how is the only GoD so far that showed to be thankful to his Angel.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:28 am

Mercenary wrote:
Brettjr25 wrote:
Mercenary wrote:Lol, so much butthurt because Vegeta is performing well against Jiren.

I am glad that Veggie will get some love and hopefully Goku will defeat Jiren cooperating with Vegeta.

I would like this to happen because it wouldn't downgrade Jiren so much. It would need at least two strong warriors to take him down, not just Goku. It would give the better showing of Jiren.
"Butthurt"? People sure do like to act cliche on the internet. I dont think it's "butthurt" but confusion because the logic Super is throwing out doesn't seem to make sense. If SSB Vegeta could damage Jiren then wouldn't that imply SSB KKx10 Goku would destroy him? But thats not how things played out.

It just means SSB Vegeta is even stronger than SSBKKx20 Goku. And personally, I haven't got really a problem with that. Vegeta trained his ass off in Goku Black Arc (blew ROSAT) and then before the Tournament he blew up ROSAT again but this time without breaking a sweat.

He has improved significantly but people tend to sleep on him. Like, you don't really have a problem with Hit causing Jiren some trouble but you have problem with Vegeta performing well? And who is Vegeta? Some untalented weakling?

You are shocked because it's the result of your constant sleeping on Vegeta and trying to make a fool of him every single time during the fight he's gonna put. Even against Ribrianne. And I am not even such a big fan of Vegeta, cuz it's kinda hard to be a fan of a guy who is destined to job all the time, but it doesn't change a fact I can notice efforts he put and gains that he achieved.

He is probably the biggest hardworker (and also extremely talented) in DBS so he deserves it. Unbiasedly, he just deserves it.

Thats not the point. The Point is inconsistency. Even as a Vegeta fan i dont get my hopes up anymore.

Look. Nothing says that Vegeta is stronger than SSBKKx20 Goku that was manhandled by Jiren. You are assuming things. Its not baseless, but its still assumption. Yes Vegeta blew off the ROSAT easily. But its still not an objective indicator of his power.
You have to remember that just before Goku did the Spirit bomb, Jiren hit Goku so fast that even Vegeta wasnt able to read Jiren's movements [he said it himself]. So now why is he able to counter a "serious" Jiren? It just reeks of an Asspull.

The Final Flash making Jiren block it, no. Its not an Asspull because the Final Flash has the greatest multiplier of all attacks in the Franchise. But him making Jiren serious with Punches reeks of an asspull. Remember, if SSB Vegeta > SSBKKx20 Goku, why did he struggle for a bit with Toppo? He should have laid the smackdown on him failry easily. But he didnt.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:29 am

The Good
    -Good Teamwork and Gohan actually act like a leader.
      -Frieza Saving Goku as well Goku saving #18 was nice.
        -#18 sacrifice to save #17 was a touching and cool moments,#18 fought well in the ToP.
          -U7 beam struggle with Aniraza was awesome,#17 remains one of my favorites of U7 along with Frieza, Roshi and #18.
            -I do like the fact the Moscow is actually little guy inside of a robot suit.
              The Bad
                -Despite Aniraza has a cool design and ability,he is a generic growling monster.
                  -Vegeta going SS1 to test his new opponents was ridiculous.
                    -Jiren roast U7,seriously toei give me a reason to care for this character because I have no idea what to think about him so far.
                      Overall good episode with some good animation through some shots look pretty bad and U3 had a better treatment than U10 and 4.I'm impressed through they should have build up Paparoni instead of Nigrisshi who was a fodder.

Noah
                      Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:47 am

Spider-Man wrote:The Good
                        -Good Teamwork and Gohan actually act like a leader.
                          -Frieza Saving Goku as well Goku saving #18 was nice.
                            -#18 sacrifice to save #17 was a touching and cool moments,#18 fought well in the ToP.
                              -U7 beam struggle with Aniraza was awesome,#17 remains one of my favorites of U7 along with Frieza, Roshi and #18.
                                -I do like the fact the Moscow is actually little guy inside of a robot suit.
                                  The Bad
                                    -Despite Aniraza has a cool design and ability,he is a generic growling monster.
                                      -Vegeta going SS1 to test his new opponents was ridiculous.
                                        -Jiren roast U7,seriously toei give me a reason to care for this character because I have no idea what to think about him so far.
                                          Overall good episode with some good animation through some shots look pretty bad and U3 had a better treatment than U10 and 4.I'm impressed through they should have build up Paparoni instead of Nigrisshi who was a fodder.
                                          I believe you forgot The Ugly :D
                                          Freeza9000 wrote:Yeah man, you and I share the same goddamn sentiments. This would've been a SSOOOOO much better and ideal Ultimate form for Gohan
                                          [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
                                          Exactly! Being able to perform the Tayoken with his forehead! Not even Goku would be able to do that!
                                          乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Nero<>Akira
                                          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:54 am

Yes. Vegeta is seemingly stronger than SSBKKx20 than Goku. Look at the preview based on visuals alone. That's all the proof you need. Jiren is showing way more struggle and his face actually has one of pain when getting kicked, his face when hes about tp be blasted, or of at least being baffled by it all. Vegeta has trained more than Goku obviously. Get over it. I still don't seeing him win gloriously. Just getting some awesome scenes and stuff before going out. Next episode will be insane.
                                          Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Spider-Man
                                          Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:57 am

Noah wrote: I believe you forgot The Ugly :D
                                          The Ugly
                                            -That our Universe is literally responsible for every single Erasure.
                                              -That everyone is a jerk including the pride troopers of all people.
                                                I really find it odd that Vegeta criticize #17 for stealing his spotlight.

Dragon Ball Ireland
                                                I Live Here
                                                Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:01 pm

This is just one of those episodes that brings out your inner child. Loved the action sequences and strategies. Going to be a tough wait for the next episode, the animation looks gorgeous.
                                                Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: