Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Asura wrote:Episode was pretty good but it was entirely overshadowed by that NEP. Never before has an NEP overshadowed a good episode, but my god Takahashi, I will sacrifice my first born if you could animate every episode of Super.
It's not worth it. It just drawings. Good looking drawings, but drawings nonetheless. Think of the children, dammit!

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Z didn't have Goku power down then power back up in every single episode with every transformation back into it again being all "ER MAH GURD! ITS SUPAR SAIYADJIN!" the way every single episode the Survival Arc has done. Seriously, they do it almost every single time, they are completely unself aware of the fact Blue is not that special or a big deal any more yet they keep treating every time it shows back up as a big deal.
Super Saiyan stopped being a big deal too, look at Goten and Trunks in the Buu arc. What do you want, for all the Saiyans to stay in base? You could just close your eyes any time Gohan's not on screen.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I'm a Frieza fan, through and through. That said, I can't help but scratch my head as to how in the hell did he jumped back into the arena after kicking Goku back inside. Is he using Instant Transmission or something? But you can clearly see him landing next to Goku, so teleport it isn't. I guess he could've use a blast to give him momentum and 'push' him back inside, but if that's possible, why doesn't anymore do it the minute he's falling out of the arena? Couldn't Piccolo or 18 do the same thing?

I know, I know ... kids show.
It could just be clever perspective. Maybe Goku was still above the ring (but on a trajectory that would have him land outside of it) when Freeza jumped straight up to kick him. This is, of course ignoring Newton's third law of motion or assuming that Freeza is significantly heavier than Goku.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Asura wrote:Episode was pretty good but it was entirely overshadowed by that NEP. Never before has an NEP overshadowed a good episode, but my god Takahashi, I will sacrifice my first born if you could animate every episode of Super.
It's not worth it. It just drawings. Good looking drawings, but drawings nonetheless. Think of the children, dammit!
I take a great drawing over a kid any day.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Noah wrote:- So Goku used SSJ God, it would be a good opportunity to Vegeta use this same form too or he don't have in the anime? :think:
It'll just pop up later with no explanation when a random writer at Toei thinks it's cool and convenient.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:04 pm

Almost everything in this episode was great. I was expecting less from this episode, but damn, it was amazing.

#17 really stole the spotlight, as Vegeta said. His character was well developed in the ToP, and some of his great qualities aside his force is that he is pretty smart and also realible, and episode 121 just cemented that.

The moment which #17 figured out Aniraza's weak spot and has gone to attack it... just gave me chills. For me that episode was 9/10, and after three shitty episodes, that was cool.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Kanious wrote:The moment which #17 figured out Aniraza's weak spot and has gone to attack it... just gave me chills.
Indeed. Makes one wonder whether by 'ranger', #17 means 'D&D ranger' rather than 'park ranger'. All in all, he clearly proved that he's a useful guy to have around, unlike a triclops who's merely 'That's our Muten Roshi sama' or a Namekian who forgets to use his ears against an enemy who could be located by hearing.

I think so far, Tien and Piccolo turned out to be bad choices for the ToP - maybe even Krillin, because of his carelessness.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
The first sight my non-existent child will see coming in to this world will be Takahashi’s beautiful Goku and he’ll say to me “I understand father, do what you must.” :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:08 pm

I love this shot:

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I love this shot:

I don't because their faces look very weird.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I love this shot:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I like the layout and the idea of the shot, but the art itself looks pretty bad. A shot like that should have had some great, memorable art and instead it's just... bleh.

Also two things that bothered me this episode were...

1. Freeza's golden transformation animation reused AGAIN. C'mon, yeah it looks great but this is like what, the 4th time we've seen it? It's getting kind of distracting seeing it reused so often.

2. Ultra Instinct theme being used AGAIN without the form even showing up. It felt more deserved here than the awful showing in 115, but it really should only be reserved for the most insane of Ultra Instinct moments like in 110 and 116. Should have gone with a different track here IMO. It makes the theme lose some of its awesomeness and uniqueness if it's not paired with the transformation.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Android 18 has gotten some of the most development of this arc. Her sacrifice for 17 was the best part of the episode. I also liked when Goku saved her early on before she was eaten.

The Androids in general got some massive love from the writers this arc. Who would have thought even a year ago that Android 17 and 18 would be such major characters?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Goku and 18 got so many more shippers today.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Cetra wrote:Goku and 18 got so many more shippers today.
It's kind of funny because they barely ever had any interaction before. Just some brief moments when Goku stopped by Krillin's house in various earlier Super eps.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:27 pm

precita wrote:
It's kind of funny because they barely ever had any interaction before. Just some brief moments when Goku stopped by Krillin's house in various earlier Super eps.
What do you think how many shippers 18 and Trunks got when he met her at Bulma's again. The youtube comments ...
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Cetra wrote:
precita wrote:
What do you think how many shippers 18 and Trunks got when he met her at Bulma's again. The youtube comments ...
Never understood the Trunks and 18 ship. Putting the age difference aside, Trunks would never want to have any romantic feelings towards someone who killed so many people in his timeline. Goku x 18 is a cute pairing, but I prefer Krillin x 18.

I have said this many times before in this forum but I hope they won't make these characters irrelevant again after this arc. It was a breath of fresh air to see characters that aren't Goku and Vegeta doing stuff and I want to see more of it.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Problem is outside of a tournament setting its hard to keep 10 characters relevant. I also think we're more likely to see Trunks and Goten in the future than the humans, especially when we move to EOZ.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:00 pm

precita wrote:Who would have thought even a year ago that Android 17 and 18 would be such major characters?
17 yes, because the series hyped his return, but not 18.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:03 pm

That NEP looks godly, wow. Man, if only we could get Takahashi and Shida more often....

Aniraza was a cool beast, I just wish he lasted more than an episode. Looked quite powerful the way he was.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Mistakenly wrote this in trend for 120, just gonna paste it here. Merry Christmas, all <3.

One of my favourite aspects of Dragon Ball Super over Z has been the number of times Goku teamed up with friends to battle the enemy. Ever since the Dragon Team surrounded #19 & #20 at West City i've always wanted to see a 2 vs. 2 or whole team vs. a villain instead of Goku fighting while everyone watched.

DBS has been bringing that dream to life for awhile. From Goku and Trunks vs. Black and Zamasu, to this tournament; it's so cool seeing him be part of a team. Surprisingly he's good at playing leader, making sure to check everyone's status this episode, to saving #18. Just little cool moments I never thought i'd see from Goku before Super was announced.

This was a fun episode, too. I'm sad it was #18 that was knocked out, now there's no more females left in the tournament. But she went out in a cool manner, and her little moment with Goku and #17 was cute.

Who knows when we'll get to see #18 fight again.. if ever.