Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:49 am

Artorias wrote:Visuals were obviously incredible. But the writing certainly left something to be desired...I thought it was pretty bad to be honest. The two conversations Jiren had with Goku and Vegeta were some of the most vapid, boring "nothing-speak" in this tournament. You can tell the writers are struggling to come up with things for the characters to talk about. This is likely because Jiren is such a bland, nothing character.

The episode was still pretty damn great, but mostly because of the spectacle, not the actual substance.

It was certainly overhyped, in the sense that it was basically just your average good Super episode that looked prettier than usual.

Also, maybe it's just the Goku fanboy in me, but my favorite part in the Vegeta centric episode was a Goku scene. It was that scene in the very beginning with Goku screaming in Jiren's face as he transforms. Alpha as hell lol.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. A very beautiful episode (although there were definitely some ugly parts. What was up with the SSJ2 SSB Goku hair?) but substance wise it left a lot to be desired. The fight itself wasn't that exciting either. If this wasn't a Takahashi episode this would definitely just be an "OK" episode. Since it's so beautiful though, it's definitely a good one.

It almost feels like a throwaway episode since nothing really even happened, much like how 113 was.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:Just when Jiren is starting to show personality and started becoming interesting, he's becoming very unlikable again. He's talking about how Vegeta is such an arrogant fighter when Jiren himself is probably the most arrogant Dragon Ball character ever.
That depends. He might not have the goal of winning ASAP. I hope that is the case; he might have some other motive for keeping the fighters around and drawing out their power.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 am

It was nice the made the entire thing focused fighting. They should have done that the whole tournament. More just groups going progressively through each other. Instead of weird jokes and stuff and then a little fighting and knocking someone out. it's a massive tournament. All filler should be pure fighting filling out and giving more character to stuff before the get knocked out. Would have given a lot more to the losses of the universes potentially. There has been a lot of time within this tournament waisted to give attachment to them.

Speaking of lost universes. How are there 3 sets of none angels in the stands? Universe 7/11 and some remaining non angels. Who were they?

I think I may have answered my own question. (Assuming)

If those are universe 11's extras why are they over there? Did I just miss something in the tournament a few episodes ago. If not who wasn't erased.

Or are those some of the none competing universes guys? if so who are they with and why? Or why don't the other non competing universes seem to have their guys watching?

Edit: NVM, I found it. 8)

It's just the other universes. The universes are still slightly out of order? Even with the one sitting with uni7 it doesn't seem to make sense. They also oddly seem like they are purposely put around that big guy. 1 in the middle and 5 on each side. One of the five consist of twins.. does this mean something?

Universe 7 is also setup in the order of a Fibonacci sequence(235) while also being setup in the order of 234 because of krillin being offset?! Why are they placed how they are? Does it have some meaning?
Last edited by Arugela on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:11 am

mAcChaos wrote:I liked the episode, but I didn't understand why Jiren was laying down after the Final Flash. Was it that strong?
He said the force of the attack was good. It knocked him off his feet, but didn't hurt him

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:17 am

Beautiful episode, I liked it a lot. I also love the fact that Vegeta is getting his own form, it nice the Saiyans are branching out finally.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:19 am

Good episode. Vegeta's pride is what pushes him to new heights, and he gave Jiren a little surprise.

Not the biggest Vegeta fan, but I did enjoy his cocky speech as he was charging his final flash.

Such reminders of Perfect Cell.

Whis knows Vegeta's tendencies very well and he's the best commentator on the bleachers.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:19 am

Did anyone else at first think that Goku went SSB2 and the writers just didn't acknowledge it? Like, he has the big transformation with lightning, and then in the next fight scene he has SSJ2 hair...Did one of the animators get the wrong script or something? The hell was that about? And it's not like it was one shot that you could chalk up to a simple mistake. It was SEVERAL shots in the Goku and Vegeta tag team segment.
Asura wrote:
Artorias wrote:Visuals were obviously incredible. But the writing certainly left something to be desired...I thought it was pretty bad to be honest. The two conversations Jiren had with Goku and Vegeta were some of the most vapid, boring "nothing-speak" in this tournament. You can tell the writers are struggling to come up with things for the characters to talk about. This is likely because Jiren is such a bland, nothing character.

The episode was still pretty damn great, but mostly because of the spectacle, not the actual substance.

It was certainly overhyped, in the sense that it was basically just your average good Super episode that looked prettier than usual.

Also, maybe it's just the Goku fanboy in me, but my favorite part in the Vegeta centric episode was a Goku scene. It was that scene in the very beginning with Goku screaming in Jiren's face as he transforms. Alpha as hell lol.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. A very beautiful episode (although there were definitely some ugly parts. What was up with the SSJ2 SSB Goku hair?) but substance wise it left a lot to be desired. The fight itself wasn't that exciting either. If this wasn't a Takahashi episode this would definitely just be an "OK" episode. Since it's so beautiful though, it's definitely a good one.

It almost feels like a throwaway episode since nothing really even happened, much like how 113 was.
Very true. It's simultaneously one of the most spectacular of the entire tournament, while also being one of the most vapid. This might be the first episode of the tournament where quite literally nothing of importance actually happened. At least with 113 you had Kale going Berserk, which would eventually lead to Goku needing to go SSG, which ultimately lead to them fusing. This episode....Vegeta fights a guy and loses but is going to be back again next week. It seemed to have absolutely zero relevance to future episodes.

I honestly feel like they didn't even give Vegeta as much shine as people were expecting, which would've helped justify the episode's existence. He got literally two hits and then got pooped on. I'd be kinda pissed if I was a huge Vegeta fan honestly.

Melab

Post by Melab » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:31 am

puar wrote:if you saw the leaked pictures you basiclly saw the whole episode. yes nothing really happend
Hardly. They showed nothing like this.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:46 am

The episode was like that one stunt you sure is about to mess you up for at least a week, but ends up being easy pie and severely underwhelming at the same time..

Nothing special happened, Vegeta has some kinda power up in blue probably mastered blue, then the same line is repeated in the nep as well, like beyond blue for Vegeta is a first..
Most likely he was supposed to get only one powerup after blue but different writers decided to include that powerup line differently in different episodes..
Goku was SSB2 most certainly, at the very least that's what they were trying to portray, but nobody acknowledged a thing, not even goku himself, classic super..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:51 am

Ki Breaker wrote:The episode was like that one stunt you sure is about to mess you up for at least a week, but ends up being easy pie and severely underwhelming at the same time..

Nothing special happened, Vegeta has some kinda power up in blue probably mastered blue, then the same line is repeated in the nep as well, like we are seeing that for the first time, or he was supposed to get only one powerup after blue but different writers decided to include that powerup line differently in different episodes..
Goku was SSB2 most certainly, at the very least that's what they were trying to portray, but nobody acknowledged a thing, not even goku himself, classic super..
It was a modeling error. In one frame he has that weird hair style, and in the next it's back to normal.
Feels over Reals.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:53 am

Great episode, good fight and awesome animation.

It's also cool that everyone is fighting at once (of course, only possible now that there's only 8 people on stage) and U7 is having their asses kicked. Freeza will probably turn this around after he transforms though.

I know it's kind of beating the same dead horse, but hoping we get an explanation for Vegeta's new form (if he gets any). The color of his hair reminds me of Copy Vegeta's SSB hair.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:54 am

RedHeat wrote: It was a modeling error. In one frame he has that weird hair style, and in the next it's back to normal.
It wasn't one frame..
I do understand it's most likely an error, I won't call it modeling error though, SSB2 was put in several spots..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:07 am

Visuals were 10/10,writing average or bad 4/10.Dyspo grabbing freeza's tail was the highlight.Everyone outside of whis and beerus were meh.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 am

Tho not much happened. It is an awesome fighting episode. And the final flash was well done.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:16 am

I think one of my favorite parts of the episode was when Jiren's eyes widened just before decking Vegeta after he said he was going to get the Super Dragon Balls. I guess the Super Dragon Balls are a pretty touchy subject for Jiren. I wonder what he wants.

Also, I guess it's an unpopular opinion but I thought the writing was mostly fine this episode.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 am

So how does Vegeta go from nearly being killed on the ground (he looked like Gohan did after Recoome snapped his neck), to being able to stand up and power up to Blue or beyond in the next ep and fight alongside Goku again?

Vegeta recovers all his stamina in less than 10 seconds in-universe?

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:27 am

precita wrote:So how does Vegeta go from nearly being killed on the ground (he looked like Gohan did after Recoome snapped his neck), to being able to stand up and power up to Blue or beyond in the next ep and fight alongside Goku again?

I noticed Super handles characters powering down and getting KO'd differently.

In DBZ, when that happened, you knew they were done for good. It only happened if they were totally wiped out.

In Super, it's more like what happens when they get momentarily stunned, like a boxer blacking out for a split second after getting hit. It happens over and over in the Fused Zamasu fight.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:29 am

One of the things it appeared that I appreciated that others didn't particularly write was the writing for the Pride Troopers this time around; Jiren's a mostly mixed bag that's filled with plenty of stale bread and cardboard, but I felt this episode shed a bit of a brighter light on the character. His line mentioning seeking something beyond strength was intriguing, and honestly it's in that instance we get to see the contrast between him and Goku: he fights so that seemingly no one can be endangered, while Goku fights regardless of the endangerment of anyone else. And the way it's presented as being casual banter is a neat touch, if only somewhat awkward for the set-up early on this arc. Goku's the villain to him, this is information that should really be presented in a face-off rather than a chat during combat. I'm already expecting Toriyama to have Jiren wish for something as ludicrous as "Give me hair!", but for the moment Jiren's motivation is really where I feel like his character will shine. Why does he fight, and with this I hope to see him fill a more traditional heroic niche. I also like his bit where he'll take colossal offensive plays willingly, it seems like the gist is he wants Universe 7 to lose with no regrets and take their erasure without the pangs of unrequited emotions being left. Kai brings up that this is just his style of showing off, but I'd believe there's more to it. At least, I hope :problem:

As for the other Pride Troopers, we saw them being used sparingly but I liked their performances. Dyspo's tactic was great, as was his "You really want to die twice?" line he threw out to everyone's favorite orb-plated tyrant. The Gohan bit against Toppo was fun too, I enjoyed the hearty laugh he pulled out because it's not so often he's so unreserved and unabashed, but I admit it'd been just another scene if not for the stellar animation. To see him completely take that Kamehameha finally put some credibility back to his plate, seeing as he hasn't really done much astonishing lately.

Besides those comments, I think I was pretty unanimous with everyone else here. The only real qualm I had is that the Final Flash has utterly lost any spectacle it ever had for me; hopefully next episode we get to see Vegeta pull off something new. If there's one thing Super has been atrocious at, it's developing new techniques for established characters. Both Roshi and Piccolo's big moments were to use the Mafuba and Special Beam Cannon, respectively. Not to mention the sheer amount of Kamehamehas thrown at this point is starting to lack its luster too.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:29 am

precita wrote:So how does Vegeta go from nearly being killed on the ground (he looked like Gohan did after Recoome snapped his neck), to being able to stand up and power up to Blue or beyond in the next ep and fight alongside Goku again?

He's been conservative when It's come to strength for most of the tournament, though. I don't really think It's too farfetched to say that Vegeta still has some fight left in 'em.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:32 am

Considering how hyped it was, I thought this episode was pretty average. Not bad at all, but not great either. Nothing really happened, and what did happen was very predictable. The fights were also lacklustre for the most part, with the only highlights being Jiren's beatdown of Vegeta and Vegeta's Final Flash. There were a few good moves every now and then, but the ones that stood out most to me were the repeat animations of punching. That's not a good thing. Vegeta's speech was great, Jiren actually got some nice character development, and Takahashi's art was superb as always... but I feel it was wasted on this episode.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93