Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 am

Impressive, but not worth the hype. While Takahashi's stuff was predictably awesome, it contrasted jarringly with some of the jankier art in the first half. Fight choreography felt like a step down from 114 as well.

My favorite part was actually the beginning when the remaining warriors were all staring each other down. That felt straight out of classic DBZ and Goku and Jiren's slow walk towards each other was actually pretty tense. After that it was kind of so-so until the Final Flash. Until then, I was enjoying the Toppo and Dyspo fights more.

On the "Did Toei botch Jiren" thread, I mentioned one thing I liked about Jiren was that he didn't give a shit about Goku, and wasn't enamored with his simple good-ol'-boy ways like other rivals. So I was ambivalent about that bit where he and Goku start talking motivation. On the one hand, hooray they're finally starting to delve into Jiren's character! On the other hand, if this is all building up to him giving Goku a smile and a knowing nod from the stands as he gets erased, I'll be very annoyed.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 am

Definitely was an overhyped episode. I mean... it's just your normal Super episode with a few amazing shots here and there and then going back to good ol' derpy shots like this

What was up with Goku standing literally three meters away from the fight and screaming Vegeta's name? Holy shit was that annoying as fuck. He should've done something. How come he was apparently damaged after Vegeta fired FF? Did Goku somehow got caught in it too? lol What the fuck writers.

Next form of Vegeta looks meh. Why give him an almost if not similar form to his Blue form?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:55 am

Impressive episode, certainly for Vegeta fans.

And once again, I stand by my notion that it's not just about battle power but also about skills, experience and luck.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Elvis143BRA

Post by Elvis143BRA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 am

That was a good episode, but I can't help but think Z's Goku would have made this episode much better. I hate this selfish Goku so much it's getting in the way of me enjoying the episodes fully.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:16 am

I think the reason this episode got that much hype was the one week delay. It forced us to talk about the episode twice as much than the others and we basically hyped it to death. Unless you're a Vegeta fan, it seems underwhelming because A) Not everyone buys this Vegeta-is-a-badass thing anymore, and B) the final flash scene was indeed a huge throwback to the Cell arc.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 am

Nickolaidas wrote: A) Not everyone buys this Vegeta-is-a-badass thing anymore
It all seems to come down to this mostly. The whole tough guy aspect thing for Vegeta faded away long ago for me and many others. I've grown to like the other sides of him much more. The moments of stoicism, heroism, family, humor etc. The least interesting part of Vegeta these days is whenever he's being all macho. It's just so fake, because you know that it's just a phisod at this point. Whenever Vegeta talked big in the Namek saga, I believed him, because he was still an evil bastard rotten to the core that got shit done. Now he just comes off as that 40 year old dad going through a mid-life crisis desperately trying to relive the glory days. Like, it's over dude. I'm not buying it anymore. Go back to what makes you interesting.

This episode also comes off as Vegeta wanking. And believe me, I don't have a problem with character wanking inherently. Hell, this entire tournament has been nothing but a giant Goku wankfest. But at least the writers actually allow him to get shit done during the wank session. Here, nothing was accomplished. Vegeta landed two blows, and then got pooped on. Just don't even bother if you're gonna make the fan service this non consequential.
Onibaku wrote:Definitely was an overhyped episode. I mean... it's just your normal Super episode with a few amazing shots here and there and then going back to good ol' derpy shots like this

What was up with Goku standing literally three meters away from the fight and screaming Vegeta's name? Holy shit was that annoying as fuck. He should've done something. How come he was apparently damaged after Vegeta fired FF? Did Goku somehow got caught in it too? lol What the fuck writers.

Next form of Vegeta looks meh. Why give him an almost if not similar form to his Blue form?
"Few amazing shots here and there"

Alright dude., c'mon. The entire second half looked spectacular. Literally 90%+ of the shots in that half were incredible, and a good amount from the first half were also great. It was more than just "a few".
Last edited by Artorias on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:15 am

Artorias wrote: This episode also comes off as Vegeta wanking. And believe me, I don't have a problem with character wanking inherently. Hell, this entire tournament has been nothing but a giant Goku wankfest. But at least the writers actually allow him to get shit done during the wank session. Here, nothing was accomplished. He landed two blows, and then got pooped on. Just don't even bother if you're gonna make the fan service this non consequential.
And it didn't even serve the purpose of making him look good since he himself acknowledged that Jiren wasn't using the power and speed he used against Goku.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Artorias wrote: This episode also comes off as Vegeta wanking. And believe me, I don't have a problem with character wanking inherently. Hell, this entire tournament has been nothing but a giant Goku wankfest. But at least the writers actually allow him to get shit done during the wank session. Here, nothing was accomplished. He landed two blows, and then got pooped on. Just don't even bother if you're gonna make the fan service this non consequential.
And it didn't even serve the purpose of making him look good since he himself acknowledged that Jiren wasn't using the power and speed he used against Goku.
Lol way to fool and let down all of Vegeta's fans hype for two weeks

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:21 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Wow you're right. I just realized that. So this was even more pointless than I thought.

It's such a shame too because I still liked the episode a great deal for the sheer spectacle of it all. It just didn't need to exist really.

Xehanort

Post by Xehanort » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 am

Loved the episode! One of the best in the tournament, and the animation, music and fight choreography were awesome.

I fail to see how people are bored with Jiren. Dude's a completely unbeatable badass, with a desire that's left to our imagination until it's actually revealed. Blame me for low standards I guess, but i'm incredibly interested in Jiren.
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 am

So vegeta achieve SSB full power? With UI eyes :0

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:35 am

A decent episode, though nothing to write home about.

I know people are converting to the Church of Takahashi, but it's really the only truly standout stuff here.

I did like how Vegeta laid out his attitude throughout this arc plainly, though. No matter how much he values his family, his home, and how much stronger others are compared to him, his pride will always be a part of him, and it drives him to take on these challenges no matter what.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:43 am

Did I really see a Super Saiyajin 2 Blue Goku?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:48 am

Cetra wrote:Did I really see a Super Saiyajin 2 Blue Goku?
Can you show the frame? I literally combed the episode thrice and couldnt find it

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 am

I loved this episode! The storyboarding was excellent, as well as the art, apart from the mediocre part where Goku looked like a Super Saiyan 2 in Blue. The animation was very nice although limited, but I really can't complain.
I liked how Vegeta addressed that he's proud of his arrogance. He fully understands he's an arrogant prick but also realizes that it is what makes him stronger, and what makes him a true Saiyan. Very nice interactions all around. I wished more episodes were like this one.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Can you show the frame? I literally combed the episode thrice and couldnt find it
Somebody did already post it. On page 2 or 3 or so.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am

Cetra wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:

Huh. How did it miss that?

Seriously, how do they fuck that up?

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 am

Really good episode, awesome visuals! Vegeta looked good in this episode, dodged the 'Flying Fists of Jiren', sweet Final Flash (until Jiren teleported and nuked him) and even teased of a power-up next ep, good for him, he's needed something to distinguish himself for a while to put him at least on an equal footing with Goku's highest KK Blue multiplier. Frieze getting dragged just made me laugh, unfortunately I think this is the end of the ride for either Gohan or 17....I can't see them beating Toppo unless both of them just have deeper reserves of energy to use against FP Toppo...

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:

Huh. How did it miss that?

Seriously, how do they fuck that up?
It is not a "fuck up". It was drawn in like 4 frames. I suppose that was very intentional, hence the lightning when Goku powered up. Then suddenly they decided him to revert back to SSJB.

"Citation needed."
"too lazy

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:33 am

Miracles wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:The structure of the fight was Vegeta vs Cell, the final flash, laugh, one shot was all done before
And what? Repeated choreography/panels/shots from DBZ is not the same as using a very obvious copy of a huge scene. I have no problem with the anime/manga using moves/poses from the original series. I do have a problem with reusing story beats. I complained about Goku and Vegeta treating Merged Zamasu like Boo in the manga but you don't remember that because it doesn't fit your obvious agenda

Basically the parts of the episode I liked were the new bits like the 2 side fights and Vegeta reading Jiren's moves. But the rest of it was a pretty obvious rehash/pandering
What's you're take on Vegeta's statement about Jiren being stronger when he faced Goku?
I liked it. Vegeta talking trash got him into mad trouble because Jiren gave him them real hands. It also explained why Goku wasn't immediately wrecked during their first scuffle