Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 am

IndieBooToo wrote:Now it's revealed by Vegeta that Jiren wasn't even using close the power in this fight that he used in the first fight so it makes Vegeta look even more pathetic this episode.
So by this "logic" of yours, Goku was pathetic on Namek before going Ssj because Freeza wasn't using his full power correct ? same thing with Cell, he must've been pathetic there as well because like Freeza, he wasn't going all out.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 am

Arugela wrote: [spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
It's just the other universes. The universes are still slightly out of order? Even with the one sitting with uni7 it doesn't seem to make sense. They also oddly seem like they are purposely put around that big guy. 1 in the middle and 5 on each side. One of the five consist of twins.. does this mean something?

Universe 7 is also setup in the order of a Fibonacci sequence(235) while also being setup in the order of 234 because of krillin being offset?! Why are they placed how they are? Does it have some meaning?
What I find odd is why aren't Krillin and 18 setting together? Can they not move when they go to sit on the benches? Is it uncouth to do so in the presence of gods or something? It'd make more sense for half giant Piccolo to sit higher in the stands. I just feel its odd to have all that space between the couple and for 18 to sit next to Piccolo.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 am

Was a really good episode. One of the better ones of the Tournament of Power.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:52 am

OLKv3 wrote:The structure of the fight was Vegeta vs Cell, the final flash, laugh, one shot was all done before
And what? Repeated choreography/panels/shots from DBZ is not the same as using a very obvious copy of a huge scene. I have no problem with the anime/manga using moves/poses from the original series. I do have a problem with reusing story beats. I complained about Goku and Vegeta treating Merged Zamasu like Boo in the manga but you don't remember that because it doesn't fit your obvious agenda

Basically the parts of the episode I liked were the new bits like the 2 side fights and Vegeta reading Jiren's moves. But the rest of it was a pretty obvious rehash/pandering
What's you're take on Vegeta's statement about Jiren being stronger when he faced Goku?

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:23 am

the first half of the episode wasn't that good , It was okay .

I enjoyed the second half a lot more .

i wasn't a fan of vegeta in this episode (characterisation wise) .

why is he being arrogant against Jiren , a character that even UI Goku couldn't beat .

And that laugh after he did the final flash made him look like a fool .

Overall i give it an 8.5 out of 10 .

Also unlike everyone else here i actually liked the new ending .
My English is poor .

Melab

Post by Melab » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:30 am

How can Dyspo call himself the fastest warrior in all of the universes when Jiren is his teammate?

Melab

Post by Melab » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:the first half of the episode wasn't that good , It was okay .

I enjoyed the second half a lot more .

i wasn't a fan of vegeta in this episode (characterisation wise) .

why is he being arrogant against Jiren , a character that even UI Goku couldn't beat .

And that laugh after he did the final flash made him look like a fool .

Overall i give it an 8.5 out of 10 .

Also unlike everyone else here i actually liked the new ending .
I enjoyed his arrogance in this episode. It was him being a Saiyan and expressing his Saiyan pride.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:27 am

Melab wrote:How can Dyspo call himself the fastest warrior in all of the universes when Jiren is his teammate?
How could Burter call himself the fastest in the universe when there was Ginyu and Freeza? Cause they can :lol:

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:30 am

One issue I've noticed I'm starting to have with this tournament is that they aren't taking the time to actually focus on the stakes of what happens when they will lose. And I mean this on a specific character basis. As in, the fighters are still talking typical WWE trash, focusing on their drive to fight, or goofing off, or just generally discussing superficial matters. None of the characters ever have that big, internal moment where they push themselves for the sake of their universe's survival. I'm still waiting for that moment for Goku or Vegeta think to themselves or say out loud something relating to their drive to survive pushing them. I don't wanna hear about Goku's love of fighting or Vegeta's pride, or at least not this much. Neither of those things have any real emotion behind them at this point, and they're very played out. This episode would've been a perfect opportunity to have Vegeta give some speech about his desire to use his Saiyan power to defend the universe and/or his family. But no, let's just have him go on and on about the same damn thing he's been blabbering about for 20 years.

Goku wasn't droning on about his fight boner when he was battling Cell or Freeza to death. It was merely an implied character trait that was pushed to the background.

I think this is the cause of many people getting tired of the tournament and not feeling any real emotion in this arc overall. If the characters don't seem to give a shit, then why should we?

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:33 am

Melab wrote:How can Dyspo call himself the fastest warrior in all of the universes when Jiren is his teammate?
Kinda like how Burter can pride himself the fastest in the universe despite being aware of Freeza’s existence.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:34 am

I think we all knew that Vegeta wasn't going to defeat Jiren in this episode yet it was still amazingly satisfying. The immediate questioning was how would SSJB Vegeta stand a chance against Jiren if SSJBKKx20 Goku couldn't even hurt Jiren. Well that was answered by Vegeta being able to analyze Jiren's movements on that flurry of punches attack that Goku and Hit couldn't even figure out.

We all saw from the preview that Vegeta was going to charge and launch a Final Flash on Jiren and I think most of us knew it wouldn't eliminate Jiren, considering Jiren pushed back a Universe 7 Spirit Bomb. But it was carried out so beautifully with dialogue and animation that I'm satisfied. Jiren then appearing right in front of Vegeta without Vegeta noticing was a throwback to when Jiren got behind Goku without Goku noticing during the time all the Universes were arriving for the ToP. That attack Jiren used on Vegeta was hellacious and probably the most power he's used on anyone in the ToP so far. It's insane the level of power Jiren has. I honestly don't think Jiren will be defeated but Universe 11 might lose by the numbers game.

Other things I liked was the epic walk up by Goku and Jiren and then Goku immediately going to SSJB to basically say he's not messing around anymore. Also Dyspo knocking around Final Form Frieza and all the angels, GoDs and Kaioshins interactions, and Vegeta's maniacal laugh.

Things that were weird to me was Goku and Jiren's dialogue at the beginning. Jiren seems to understand what he wants from strength and fighting yet Goku isn't really providing any answer with substance. I thought that interaction was off. Also when Vegeta unloaded the Final Flash, why was Goku shown on the floor? That made no sense to me.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 am

Didn't enjoy at all.

Animation was great, but that's worthless without a story. And this didn't have one. It was little more than tired formula of Vegeta fighting, *GASP* Jiren was holding back! Imagine that! :roll:
And the rest of it was straight from the book of 'predictable Dragonball scenarios'. Oh look, Vegeta got his arse handed to him - who would have guessed that was going to happen. :roll:

And talk about slow paced. Reaction shot. Close up of various character's expressions. Spectator commentary. Kai reaction. Angel commentary. Zeno reaction. Lots of standing around. Nothing particularly useful or interesting said.

By the time we reached the end of the episode I didn't care anymore - there was NOTHING new here. Hope the next episode improves on it, but considering how this one played out, I'm not hopeful - and we all know this is all headed toward Goku Vs Jiren again, so......

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:38 am

:clap:

Vegeta did his best! Loved showing him off as the strategist he is! And that whole Final Flash segment felt like I was back in the Cell Arc.

It's gonna be interesting to see this "power beyond Super Saiyan Blue" he'll unlock next week. Maybe we'll see Full Powered Super Saiyan Blue from the Manga

And it appears it's gonna be a minute an episode till March, folks! 8 minutes left!

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:39 am

Artorias wrote:One issue I've noticed I'm starting to have with this tournament is that they aren't taking the time to actually focus on the stakes of what happens when they will lose. And I mean this on a specific character basis. As in, the fighters are still talking typical WWE trash, focusing on their drive to fight, or goofing off, or just generally discussing superficial matters. None of the characters ever have that big, internal moment where they push themselves for the sake of their universe's survival. I'm still waiting for that moment for Goku or Vegeta think to themselves or say out loud something relating to their drive to survive pushing them. I don't wanna hear about Goku's love of fighting or Vegeta's pride, or at least not this much. Neither of those things have any real emotion behind them at this point, and they're very played out. This episode would've been a perfect opportunity to have Vegeta give some speech about his desire to use his Saiyan power to defend the universe and/or his family. But no, let's just have him go on and on about the same damn thing he's been blabbering about for 20 years.

Goku wasn't droning on about his fight boner when he was battling Cell or Freeza to death. It was merely an implied character trait that was pushed to the background.

I think this is the cause of many people getting tired of the tournament and not feeling any real emotion in this arc overall. If the characters don't seem to give a shit, then why should we?
The only times I recall any semblance of tension in this tournament were the characters exposed to the first universal erasure, Gohan’s internal conflict after eliminating Obuni, the entire team v. Aniraza, and the brief atmospheric face-off between Universe 7 and 11.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:56 am

MajinMan wrote:I think it's finally my turn to be the one with the extremely unpopular opinion. I... did not really like this episode. It wasn't bad by any means, but it certainly did not live up to my expectations.

The art and animation was glorious, but only for the second half. The first half started good with tension building, but once Goku and Jiren started to clash it just looked really bad. Goku's hair in particular was so awful (first half), like what the hell went wrong? Vegeta randomly observing Jiren and countering him was barely believable.

The second half was much better. I liked it for the most part, but something just didn't feel right. I guess I really am a Vegeta hater at heart after all because I could not get into the hype moments as much as most other people seemed to. I blame Vegeta's garbage characterization for the majority of this arc for making me enjoy this episode less than I probably would have.

One thing I really enjoyed though was hearing Jiren talk more. It's about damn time he dropped the mute act. I also enjoyed Gohan/17 vs Toppo and Freeza vs Dyspo a lot.
I was about to post the same things. You're not alone, my friend. I don't see me as a Vegeta hater, per se, but I simply do not understand why Jiren decided to use less strength vs Vegeta other than an attempt from the writers to throw Vegeta fans a bone.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:00 am

RedHeat wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:The episode was like that one stunt you sure is about to mess you up for at least a week, but ends up being easy pie and severely underwhelming at the same time..

Nothing special happened, Vegeta has some kinda power up in blue probably mastered blue, then the same line is repeated in the nep as well, like we are seeing that for the first time, or he was supposed to get only one powerup after blue but different writers decided to include that powerup line differently in different episodes..
Goku was SSB2 most certainly, at the very least that's what they were trying to portray, but nobody acknowledged a thing, not even goku himself, classic super..
It was a modeling error. In one frame he has that weird hair style, and in the next it's back to normal.
How does that even happen, though? Do the animators not have supervisors that go over all the frames before they are processed? Did episode editor or whatever you call it not notice?

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:39 am

In the next episode preview is goku.going back to ssbkk?

Also frieza getting bodied by Dyspo. I guess they feel the need to build dyspos credibility. I mean he did have hit on the ropes too.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 am

I still think that Frieza is safe from Dyspo. Dyspo took him by surprise but in the end of the day, Frieza is white, not golden.

Nevertheless, Frieza got damaged, actually damaged for the first time, no matter what the form.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 am

SonReggie wrote:Didn't enjoy at all.

Animation was great, but that's worthless without a story. And this didn't have one. It was little more than tired formula of Vegeta fighting, *GASP* Jiren was holding back! Imagine that! :roll:
And the rest of it was straight from the book of 'predictable Dragonball scenarios'. Oh look, Vegeta got his arse handed to him - who would have guessed that was going to happen. :roll:

And talk about slow paced. Reaction shot. Close up of various character's expressions. Spectator commentary. Kai reaction. Angel commentary. Zeno reaction. Lots of standing around. Nothing particularly useful or interesting said.

By the time we reached the end of the episode I didn't care anymore - there was NOTHING new here. Hope the next episode improves on it, but considering how this one played out, I'm not hopeful - and we all know this is all headed toward Goku Vs Jiren again, so......
These are my thoughts as well. I did enjoy the Freeza vs Dyspo fight more than anything, it was nice to see Freeza finally get beaten up in this tournament for once. As for the animation and art, I have to say I enjoyed episode 114 a lot more. I thought it looked better and it was overall a way better episode with better fight scenes and a surprising ending. I also found Caulifla and Kale to be way more entertaining and enjoyable characters than Jiren.

New Ending is okay at at best, but compared to the last 4 endings it's a weak sauce. Can't wait for this tournament to end already.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 am

Artorias wrote:One issue I've noticed I'm starting to have with this tournament is that they aren't taking the time to actually focus on the stakes of what happens when they will lose. And I mean this on a specific character basis. As in, the fighters are still talking typical WWE trash, focusing on their drive to fight, or goofing off, or just generally discussing superficial matters. None of the characters ever have that big, internal moment where they push themselves for the sake of their universe's survival. I'm still waiting for that moment for Goku or Vegeta think to themselves or say out loud something relating to their drive to survive pushing them. I don't wanna hear about Goku's love of fighting or Vegeta's pride, or at least not this much. Neither of those things have any real emotion behind them at this point, and they're very played out. This episode would've been a perfect opportunity to have Vegeta give some speech about his desire to use his Saiyan power to defend the universe and/or his family. But no, let's just have him go on and on about the same damn thing he's been blabbering about for 20 years.

Amen! Very well said. Even at the end of this long road, I still don't get the feeling of high stakes, life or death. And yes, stale motivations is what frustrates me about DBS' two saiyan leads in the first place. They're nearly one dimensional in this current arc. It's why I get really sad when an interesting character who we've seen very little of gets thrown out of the tournament.

To me even Vegeta's fighting style is quite stale nowadays. Rapid punches and big blasts are his only signatures it seems. I just don't feel that same intensity from him that I felt during the Buu arc or during his last one on one with Goku Black. Hoping Toppo is going to bring some more excitement into the fold in the next few eps, cuz at this point, I'm not even very excited at the aspect of Vegeta's new form, unless it's really something we haven't seen before.

Oh well. Maybe this was just a one off episode and the intensity gets dialed up next week.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-