Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Artorias wrote:Not really understanding some of the praise this episode got for the Jiren dialogue with Goku and Vegeta. That was all just a bunch of vapid nonsense to me. I got nothing meaningful out of any
Well like I said even if it's not that much ( 2-3 lines or so) it gave some personality to Jiren who was nothing else than just the strong guy to beat before, now we see he has a purpose as in his dialogue with Goku that goes beyond the mere fact of fighting or saving the universe, the fact he sees Vegeta's fists as arrogant means he has a certain philosophy and possibly even certain ethics, it finally gives a bit of relief to a character who was rightfully criticised of being monolithic, so even if it's not much it's at least something and it opens up something about him to develop and to tell us about in the future, it's a good thing mate lol

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 am

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:
Artorias wrote:Not really understanding some of the praise this episode got for the Jiren dialogue with Goku and Vegeta. That was all just a bunch of vapid nonsense to me. I got nothing meaningful out of any of those conversations.
Quite the opposite of nothing happened. :P
Ok, then what happened? Really, honestly, how did the plot advance in this episode? What relevant event occurred to push the narrative forward?
How much do you expect to be squeezed in over this next several minutes of the ToP? I feel like our standards for the series is all over the place on this forum, honestly.
I expected something to happen because literally every single other episode of the tournament advanced the tournament in some way. Either a character was eliminated, a character was developed, or an event occurred that would eventually lead to another major event/elimination occurring. This episode was completely isolated and did nothing for the story. The only thing that actually happened was Vegeta got bodied, but since he'll be back next week stronger than ever instantly recovered, that means nothing.

I'm not arguing that something needs to always happen for an episode to be considered good, I'm merely saying that for how lacking the episode actually was in terms of plot progression, it certainly received a disproportionate amount of hype.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 am

Artorias wrote:
Artorias wrote:Not really understanding some of the praise this episode got for the Jiren dialogue with Goku and Vegeta. That was all just a bunch of vapid nonsense to me. I got nothing meaningful out of any of those conversations.

Ok, then what happened? Really, honestly, how did the plot advance in this episode? What relevant event occurred to push the narrative forward?
How much do you expect to be squeezed in over this next several minutes of the ToP? I feel like our standards for the series is all over the place on this forum, honestly.
I expected something to happen because literally every single other episode of the tournament advanced the tournament in some way. Either a character was eliminated, a character was developed, or an event occurred that would eventually lead to another major event/elimination occurring. This episode was completely isolated and did nothing for the story. The only thing that actually happened was Vegeta got bodied, but since he'll be back next week stronger than ever instantly recovered, that means nothing.

I'm not arguing that something needs to always happen for an episode to be considered good, I'm merely saying that for how lacking the episode actually was in terms of plot progression, it certainly received a disproportionate amount of hype.
This episode progressed the tournament as really any other episode, in the sense just as many plot points were progressed this episode as any other episode. Started the final battle and set up several pre-tenses about it, namely how they are fighting a losing battle, as well as establishes the positions of the fighters. I don't see why that's a problem since this is the final battle.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Artorias wrote:

This episode progressed the tournament as really any other episode, in the sense just as many plot points were progressed this episode as any other episode. Started the final battle and set up several pre-tenses about it, namely how they are fighting a losing battle, as well as establishes the positions of the fighters. I don't see why that's a problem since this is the final battle.
I don't really see it as a problem by itself, I'm merely saying that for an episode to be THIS hyped, it should've been more than just fighting and quite literally nothing else.

I also don't see this episode the same as the others, because again like I said, it didn't eliminate anyone, didn't develop anyone or anything, and didn't create a major rippling event that had any implications beyond this episode. This to me would've been the perfect chance to delve further into Vegeta's character, maybe something about how instead of utilizing this Saiyan pride for himself like he always does, this time he'll use it as fuel to defend the universe. Or dive into Jiren's backstory/personality. But nope, they just didn't do any of that .

And again, to be clear, I'm only saying this because of the crazy hype the episode got. I wouldn't be saying any of this if it was just another standard action packed episode.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 am

Guess this is what happens when you need to fill time for 10 episodes with only 8 fighters left.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am

This to me would've been the perfect chance to delve further into Vegeta's character, maybe something about how instead of utilizing this Saiyan pride for himself like he always does
Come on man that would be like asking Batman to stop wearing his batsuit like he always does lol
Or dive into Jiren's backstory/personality. But nope, they just didn't do any of that .
Did you miss my reply about that already, he had two lines directly relevant to his personality, my post is just above cheers lol

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Well, this episode was definitely a pleasure to look at.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 am

Hello! New member! So what does everyone interpret Jiren's statement "I seek that which lies beyond power." as? Him wanting mental enlightenment? Further strength? Something to do with his wish? Or simply perhaps a subtitle translation error that people are taking too literally?

Also I find it absolutely redundant that Toppo was given a hard time by SSB Goku and Gohan is shown matching that level and even forcing him to resort to using the Kiao-Ken. But yet his Kamehameha Wave had zero effect? Clearly they're trying to drag the last few minutes and make the as suspenseful as possible. But come on if you're gonna have Toppo clown anyone make it 17, Gohan just got the fandoms respect back.

And I was also mad at Freeza's lettng Dyspo drag him around like that. But judging from his past actions and implications I assume he's trying to find a way to beat him without expending any more energy from his Golden Form. Especially not after the struggle with Anilaza. Just in the event that it comes down to him having to battle Jiren or Toppo.

Just a few beggining thoughts to run with.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
This to me would've been the perfect chance to delve further into Vegeta's character, maybe something about how instead of utilizing this Saiyan pride for himself like he always does
Come on man that would be like asking Batman to stop wearing his batsuit like he always does lol
Or dive into Jiren's backstory/personality. But nope, they just didn't do any of that .
Did you miss my reply about that already, he had two lines directly relevant to his personality, my post is just above cheers lol
I don't see Jiren's two lines as anything of substance whatsoever. Those lines struck me as painfully contrived vapid lines to fill time. Those were a far cry from actual development. That's not nearly enough.

And the fact that Vegeta utilizing his pride for others would be so strange and unlike him is what would make it so interesting. I think it would do wonders to redeem his character in this arc, which up to this point has been extremely boring and/or unlikeable.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Guess this is what happens when you need to fill time for 10 episodes with only 8 fighters left.
And by making the excuse every episode is one minute worth In-Universe.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Jiren's line against Vegeta was good because it showed some glimpse of personality, but his line against Goku was the perfect example of dumb and bad lines in Super. It just raises more questions and it's vague as fuck.
I mean, what exactly lies beyond strength? What does that even mean?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:09 pm

precita wrote:The animation of course is the real highlight of the episode. If it was any other animator, this would just be an average episode. Seeing Vegeta get two hits on Jiren and also somehow survive the last attack is good though.

I also laughed when Dyspo was grabbing Freeza by the tail and smashing his face in rocks.
Speaking of animation, who worked on this episode?

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:50 pm

sangofe wrote:
precita wrote:The animation of course is the real highlight of the episode. If it was any other animator, this would just be an average episode. Seeing Vegeta get two hits on Jiren and also somehow survive the last attack is good though.

I also laughed when Dyspo was grabbing Freeza by the tail and smashing his face in rocks.
The supervisor for this episode was Yuya Takahashi, who initially made the fandom explode after his work in episode 114.

Here's a small album with some of the work he's done on 110, 114, and 122.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Asura wrote:
sangofe wrote:

The supervisor for this episode was Yuya Takahashi, who initially made the fandom explode after his work in episode 114.

He's a newcomer to Toei? This is seriously the BEST anything Dragon Ball has ever looked.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm

sangofe wrote:
Asura wrote:
sangofe wrote:

He's a newcomer to Toei? This is seriously the BEST anything Dragon Ball has ever looked.
Unfortunately he's not employed under TOEI. He's a freelancer.

Goku786

Post by Goku786 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:14 pm

I think the point of this episode was to show not to underestimate vegeta. Even though he is a hot head, vegeta landed a proper hit on jiren WITHOUT UI and dodge jiren glare punches WITHOUT UI.

I gave vegeta credit for that.
My Favorite Dragon Ball Merchandise Store, trust me, click here, <--- BEST Ultra Instinct Goku Designs!

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 pm

Goku786 wrote:I think the point of this episode was to show not to underestimate vegeta. Even though he is a hot head, vegeta landed a proper hit on jiren WITHOUT UI and dodge jiren glare punches WITHOUT UI.

I gave vegeta credit for that.
Yep, allot of people screamed OMG Vegeta did better than kkx20 Goku and even UI so he must be stronger, but infact, what this episode showed was that Vegeta was able to see through Jiren's attack, it is even explained in the episode, but people simply ignore it.