Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 124, aired 21 January 2018

疾風怒涛の猛襲!悟飯背水の陣!!
Shippū-Dotō no Mōshū! Gohan Haisui no Jin!!
A Stormy, Fierce Attack! Gohan Fights with his Back to the Wall!!

Summary:
Goku and Vegeta have both powered up to face Jiren, and though so far Jiren has been unfazed by their attacks, Vegeta says that their fight is just beginning. Beerus cheers them on from the bleachers, saying that Universe 7 can’t win unless the two defeat Jiren. The duo push Jiren back with a series of coordinated attacks, finishing with a Kamehameha and Final Flash. Though Jiren takes these attacks head-on, he emerges seemingly undamaged.

Seeing that Jiren is raising his game, Dyspo decides to do likewise in his match against Freeza. Even Freeza thinks it’s time they stopped playing around. Though Dyspo is certainly fast, Freeza repeats Goku’s criticism from earlier, that Dyspo’s movements are too straightforward and therefore easy to predict. However, Dyspo starts moving even faster, leaving Freeza unable to follow his movements. He pummels Freeza and then uses his Circle Flash attack to finish him off. When Dyspo rushes in to knock Freeza out of bounds though, Freeza stops him with his tail.

Freeza still seems more than fine, though he says that attack did have him worried. He points out that if they continue fighting they will just wear themselves out, and even if Dyspo wins U7 will still hold the numerical advantage (which will give them the victory once time runs out). Jiren may be strong, but there is no guarantee that he will be able to defeat Goku and Vegeta within the tournament’s few remaining minutes. Freeza therefore offers Dyspo a deal: he will cooperate with U11, so long as U11 promises to resurrect him with the Super Dragon Balls once they win the tournament.

In the bleachers, Beerus is outraged to see Freeza once again being underhanded, though Kuririn and Piccolo think this might be another trick; they can’t just take what he says at face value. Regardless, Dyspo turns down the offer; he can tell that the evil Freeza simply wants to use him to ensure his own survival. Freeza responds by transforming into Golden Freeza; he now has no choice but to use his full power to defeat Dyspo. It’s time to start Round 2!

Golden Freeza tells Dyspo to come at him from any direction he wants, and Dyspo considers this a good opportunity to test out his speed. Though he lands a punch on Freeza’s face, it seems to have no effect, and Freeza is unimpressed by his power and speed. As Freeza turns the tables on Dyspo, in the bleachers Khai is shocked to see that Freeza is apparently the faster of the two. Freeza confidently announces that Dyspo is simply no match for him, but he is surprised by the ki Dyspo suddenly starts to emit.

Indeed, Dyspo increases his speed even further and begins to counterattack, regaining the upper hand. Belmod explains that this is Dyspo’s ultimate technique, his “Super Maximum High-Speed Mode”. Dyspo is now moving too fast for even the Omni-Kings to see, and though they try the slow motion replay footage on their godPads, Dyspo is still far too fast for even that to work. The Great Priest says he will have to upgrade the godPads…next time.

Dyspo continues to beat up on Freeza, knocking him closer and closer to the arena’s edge. Gohan manages to break away from his battle against Toppo and come to Freeza’s rescue, knocking Dyspo away with a kick. Freeza is surprised that Gohan of all people would save him, but for Gohan it was simply a matter of helping out a teammate. Freeza taunts Gohan that he might betray him later, but Gohan promises to ring Freeza out if he does.

Freeza decides that he and Gohan will have to face Dyspo together, and he asks Gohan not to be dead weight. Dyspo vows to knock both of them out of bounds, and while Freeza and Gohan fire volley after volley of ki blasts at him, these attacks are too slow to hit him. Gohan soon realizes that the only way for them to win is to limit the range of Dyspo’s movements; he will go create an opening to allow Freeza to cage Dyspo in. Freeza agrees to follow Gohan’s plan (he is the U7 team leader, after all). While Gohan trades blows with Dypo, Freeza surrounds the two in a cage of ki beams. Now Dyspo has nowhere to run…but the same goes for Gohan! Still, Gohan is prepared for this, and resolves to face Dyspo in a head-on battle.

With Dyspo hemmed in, he is no longer able to dodge Dyspo’s attacks, and Shin thinks Gohan can’t lose like this. Belmod likewise sees that if Dyspo tries to use his “super speed mode” inside this energy cage, he will simply hit the bars and damage himself. Freeza tells Gohan to hurry up and finish Dyspo off, since maintaining the energy cage uses up a lot of energy and his stamina can’t hold out for long. Just as Gohan goes in for a final blow, Freeza finally gives out and the cage collapses, allowing Dyspo to dodge Gohan’s attack.

Gohan doesn’t miss a beat though, and immediately grabs Dyspo from behind. Picking up on Gohan’s strategy, Freeza doesn’t hesitate to “put him out of his misery”, blasting Gohan and Dyspo with a ki attack that knocks both out of bounds. The Great Priest formally announces Gohan and Dyspo’s defeat, and Gohan apologies to his teammates as he materializes in the bleachers. Piccolo though says Gohan did well; if he had let Dyspo get away, they might never have beaten him. Goku is likewise pleased at the job his son did.

6 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Android 17 has officially outlasted Gohan in this tournament. And frankly, nearly every other U7 character was more interesting in this arc than Gohan too, even Master Roshi. What a terrible character.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Why was this episode so lackluster? We lost two major combatants and I was just disinterested the whole time. Could be because It was do ambiguous who was stronger between dyspo and frieza?

Art and animation was stiff and bland as well. Nothing but average across the board.

Paragon1

Post by Paragon1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Android 17 has officially outlasted Gohan in this tournament. And frankly, nearly every other U7 character was more interesting in this arc than him too, even Master Roshi. What a terrible character.
What makes you say that? I think the Androids have been pretty awesome all tournament. 17 is hot on strategy and has put up some impressive battles. He has good fighting sense and strategy.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Good episode. I'm really enjoying the use of strategy and team work in these final episodes of the tournament. I wish Gohan just lasted a little bit longer though. I'm kinda surprised that 17 has lasted this long. Not that I'm complaining, he's one of my favourite characters in this arc.

Next weeks episode looks wild. I want to see how Toppo being the next God of Destruction plays into this fight. The manga went and revealed this waaay earlier.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Paragon1 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Android 17 has officially outlasted Gohan in this tournament. And frankly, nearly every other U7 character was more interesting in this arc than him too, even Master Roshi. What a terrible character.
What makes you say that? I think the Androids have been pretty awesome all tournament. 17 is hot on strategy and has put up some impressive battles. He has good fighting sense and strategy.
I was referring to Gohan.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Paragon1

Post by Paragon1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm not too fussed about the order of eliminations at this late stage. It just happened to be Gohan who went to help Freeza, it could easily have been 17 and suspect the outcome would of been the same. Gohan got to take out Dyspo, a key U11 player with his self sacrifice.

He has played a major role in U7's survival.
fadeddreams5 wrote: I was referring to Gohan.
Oh. Sorry! My bad!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:51 pm

I don’t really see why everyone in the episode was making such a big deal out of Golden Freeza. This would be the 4th time he’s used that form in this tournament alone.

Anyway, while I’m not surprised about Gohan getting eliminated this episode (the title was a dead giveaway), it’s still a bit disappointing that things are ultimately going to rest on the shoulders of Goku and Vegeta, as usual. Oh well. The episode itself was still decent enough, and at least Gohan got a good chance to shine.

Next week’s episode is what really has me interested though. Toppo’s been hyped up as the second most important new character in this arc from the beginning, so it’s cool to see that his status as a GoD in training is finally going to see some payoff.

potat_lasaro

Post by potat_lasaro » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm

It was an okay episode I felt. My only major problem being with how little Gohan was actually in his own elimination episode. Maybe they could have gotten a few more minutes for him by having him save Freeza right before the break.

Either way, I was fine with Gohan sacrificing himself to take out Dyspo, especially since he used to be the one always needing saving when in a tight situation. Nappa, Cell, Buu...all three of those he were saved (well, the last one he still died), but this entire tournament was meant for Gohan to become a true fighter which in my opinion he had. I mean, could you honestly tell me that the Gohan from the Buu saga would have reacted how he did in the episode tonight? I doubt it. If anything, he would have been too flustered and Dyspo would have probably defeated him.

All in all, disappointed that my favorite went down, but it was a decent ending to a good showing in the tournament.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 pm

This episode was more about Dyspo's last stand than Gohan's last stand. :lol:

Real talk though... this was underwhelming outcome for Gohan. He fought for about 5 minutes and that was it. He pulled a Tien and took someone down with him. I did enjoy the strategic thinking of Gohan to defeat Dyspo. I just felt there should have more this episode than what we got. Oh well. Gohan did good overall in the tournament. Could have better, but could have been much worse. He got treated fine.

The episode as a whole was... inoffensive. Not particularly good or bad. Just painfully average. Next week looks incredibly intriguing, though.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:02 pm

I had fun with this one. Gohan showed he's still a proud warrior, but he's not always able to save the day, at least fully.

He showed good leadership and strategy, and he gave it his all.

God of Destruction Toppo, though? THAT'S some serious business there. He is LOSING THE SHIRT. This can only mean amazing things will soon take place.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Agree with there being not a lot of Gohan in this episode, but overall in the tournament, I think he did just fine, especially for a character that hadn't been fighting or training at all for the majority of the show.

Toppo in the NEP looks menacing though.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm

The choreography and animation was meh. The narrative of the episode carried the episode imo. Episode was decent. Far preferred last week to this week.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 pm

5 minutes. An episode called Gohan's last stand, and he was in it for 5 minutes. This was more about Dyspo than Gohan. Might as well have called it Dyspo's Last Stand. Gohan did well overall but didn't reach quite the high he probably should have. Instead that high/motivation is randomly given to another character cause why not? Hopefully Freeza makes it to the end and we don't just get yet another Goku and Vegeta thing again.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 pm

I can't believe just a minute passed in this episode now that we have a reduced group of fighters on the arena :lol:

I liked the episode, good to see an episode focused on Freeza before this tournament (and Super) is over. :thumbup:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Good episode overall, but of course everywhere on the internet they'll say that it's bad because Gohan lost. Wasn't 17 doing the same thing last episode? Why is it bad now just because Gohan did it?
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:26 pm

I thought this episode was a good not great episode. The fights were okay but I wondered why this episode had more Freeza than Gohan. I don't mind how Gohan beat Dsypo but it still could have been done better. The art was fine but I feel like the animation could have been better. This episode did reuse a lot of animation from previous episodes. The next episode looks interesting as Toppo looks threating. I do believe that the theory that Toppo will be or is already a God of Destruction. I can't wait for next week and hope that the arc's ending blows us all away.
Rating: 7 out of 10
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Let's just say I'm glad Super is ending now.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This episode was more about Dyspo's last stand than Gohan's last stand. :lol:

Real talk though... this was underwhelming outcome for Gohan. He fought for about 5 minutes and that was it. He pulled a Tien and took someone down with him. I did enjoy the strategic thinking of Gohan to defeat Dyspo. I just felt there should have more this episode than what we got. Oh well. Gohan did good overall in the tournament. Could have better, but could have been much worse. He got treated fine.

The episode as a whole was... inoffensive. Not particularly good or bad. Just painfully average. Next week looks incredibly intriguing, though.
I swear they wrote this episode in mind for Freeza and Dyspo until someone in the board room said

"Uh wasn't Gohan supposed to be in this episode. It has his name in the title."
"Oh FUCK that's right...shit...shoehorn him in the last 5 minutes."
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Wow, i am impressed with this episode. Was very nice and entertaining. Golden Freeza and Dyspo were awesome. Gohan had a nice tactic and he looked pretty cool.

NEP looks awesome.