Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:03 am

Yes! This was the perfect send-away for Gohan, a mutual KO just like I wanted. He got to eliminate someone big from the tournament, and while the fight was pretty small and mediocre, it finally gave Gohan a chance to show why he's the leader of U7. Toppo having a God of Destruction transformation just shows even more why my initial request for Gohan to be the one to eliminate Toppo was a mistake.

This episode was definitely carried by its story and its writing, because while the art was decent and inoffensive, the animation was horrific. Soooo much re-used animation, and then the re-used animation was re-used 2 - 3 times in the episode. Re-use inception. Overall this was a bland episode, but I like the way Gohan went out. I just wish the fight was a little longer, and animated decently.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 am

Where was Gohan's rage boost that we've seen in the past?

When Gohan is pushed back against the wall it used to be typical to see him get a rage boost. We didn't see that once all tournament. I expected more from Gohan.

17 outlasting Gohan is surprising and 17 has overstayed his welcome for a guy who's been absent and forgotten about for 5 arcs.

I'm not a gohan fan either. I expected more.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 am

I overall liked the episode. I figured Gohan would go out sacrificing himself, and I'm glad he had a hand in planning and eliminating Dyspo, who is a major fighter in universe 11. Mainly, I liked Dyspo in this episode. He proved to be stronger than most of us gave him credit for and was very bold to challenge both golden Frieza and Gohan.

I'm in agreement with most people who feel Gohan should've had more to do in this tournament, but it's all in all not a bad run for him. Power scale was all over the place too, but it at least confirms that all the fighters here now are Super Saiyan God tier and above.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ShinTenshin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinTenshin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 am

Don't forget than Goku Blue VS Gohan seems to be Toei exclusive as that thing doesn't appear in the Manga.
So for Toriyama script it's most likely filler.
By the way, it was a very bad move because at the end, Toei was obligated to respect the power level from the author.
As a result, Gohan appear to be an ant against a restrained Toppo, to be honest he was really ridiculous.

The same restrained Toppo has a hard time against Goku or Vegeta Blue, so Ultimate is nothing but a trash compared to SS Blue.
Finally C17 give the impression to be stronger than Gohan.
Overall Gohan show good fights against the Top fodder of the Tournament so his fans need to be happy because he regain all his strength (SS3+ Tier).
Goodbye Son Gohan it was your last fight, be proud you're the 5th most powerful fighter of U7 fighters.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:13 am

Asura wrote:Yes! This was the perfect send-away for Gohan, a mutual KO just like I wanted. He got to eliminate someone big from the tournament, and while the fight was pretty small and mediocre, it finally gave Gohan a chance to show why he's the leader of U7. Toppo having a God of Destruction transformation just shows even more why my initial request for Gohan to be the one to eliminate Toppo was a mistake.

This episode was definitely carried by its story and its writing, because while the art was decent and inoffensive, the animation was horrific. Soooo much re-used animation, and then the re-used animation was re-used 2 - 3 times in the episode. Re-use inception. Overall this was a bland episode, but I like the way Gohan went out. I just wish the fight was a little longer, and animated decently.
My biggest problem was that the episode was called "Gohan's last stand", and he didn't even appear until after the midway point of the episode. That was underwhelming.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 am

omaro34 wrote:
Asura wrote:Yes! This was the perfect send-away for Gohan, a mutual KO just like I wanted. He got to eliminate someone big from the tournament, and while the fight was pretty small and mediocre, it finally gave Gohan a chance to show why he's the leader of U7. Toppo having a God of Destruction transformation just shows even more why my initial request for Gohan to be the one to eliminate Toppo was a mistake.

My biggest problem was that the episode was called "Gohan's last stand", and he didn't even appear until after the midway point of the episode. That was underwhelming.
I agree, it is very underwhelming and very disappointing. It was a good way for him to go out in terms of the writing, but a terrible way for him to go out in terms of fight choreography, animation, and overall length of the fight.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 am

Yeah, Gohan is pretty much done at this point. If/when Dragonball comes back from hiatus, I don't expect Gohan to have any role in the next arc. Besides the fact that it likely won't be a tournament, this was supposed to be Gohan's return to prominence and they pretty much dropped it. I think we can stick a fork in it and say they're done.

We never even got to see Goku and Gohan fight side by side, what was the point.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:17 am

precita wrote:Yeah, Gohan is pretty much done at this point. If/when Dragonball comes back from hiatus, I don't expect Gohan to have any role in the next arc. Besides the fact that it likely won't be a tournament, this was supposed to be Gohan's return to prominence and they pretty much dropped it. I think we can stick a fork in it and say they're done.

We never even got to see Goku and Gohan fight side by side, what was the point.
What about fighting the robots? We saw it there.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:29 am

precita wrote:this was supposed to be Gohan's return to prominence and they pretty much dropped it.
I disagree. Now that his role in the tournament is done, I think looking back he's had a very good return to prominence. I think if he got eliminated without taking Dyspo out though it would have looked poor.

Just think about it, Gohan was so horribly weak and pathetic before this arc. He got his ultimate power back, but I never expected him to be anywhere near as strong as Goku/Vegeta/Freeza. He lasted until the very end, and took out quite a few people, with Dyspo being the major win. Dyspo is the 3rd strongest person in U11, and is easily within the top 10 for strongest fighters in the entire tournament. Gohan also showed that he was the brains behind U7, coming up with different plans in order to defeat his enemies instead of just brute forcing shit like Goku and Vegeta do. He took out Botamo in the most laughably stupid way by punching him repeatedly off the arena. It was dumb, but it was a plan. He then came up with a plan to use counter attacks against Obuni in order to win. Against Saonel and Pirina, Gohan proved his worth with taking charge in the Piccolo/Gohan dynamic and coming up with a plan for Piccolo to use the Special Beam Cannon. For Koichiarator, Goku and Vegeta distracted him while Gohan charged up his Kamehameha. Finally, Gohan then takes out Dyspo by using Freeza to create an arena around them, and after that sacrifices himself so Dyspo can be eliminated. It showed that Gohan is a fighter again, and he thinks like a fighter. While he's not anywhere near as strong as Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, and maybe even 17, he's still impressively strong compared to where he used to be.

Don't get me wrong though, this arc had a few moments that made Gohan look horrible, like him getting his ass kicked by the Yardrat, having to be saved by Piccolo multiple times, etc. but on the whole it's treated him pretty well and I think if he did any more, it just would be too ridiculous to believe that he went from being pathetic to being as strong as a God of Destruction or something.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:45 am

Pretty good episode. Animation was stiff at times, the worst offender being when Gohan and Freeza fired their initial ki blasts at Dyspo. The modeling and animation looked pretty bad there. Otherwise it had some really great moments, though for an episode with Gohan's name in the title, it was odd literally not seeing him until the second half. Anyway, I'm pretty sure 17 is out next and then we'll have Freeza take on Toppo. The pacing is starting to kill me a bit though. I'm confident we won't get to the true Jiren fight for a couple more episodes now, which is a bummer. But whatever, hopefully the Toppo stuff is interesting enough.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:49 am

I think Gohan had a respectable ending. You can say now that Gohan changed as he got older. He really mellowed out and that hidden rage he had as a kid and teen are still there but pretty dormant imo. He recognized he couldn't defeat dyspo on his own so he used his brain instead of rage boosting. I think it was a fitting end.

By the way, did not see that from Dyspo. He was nothing like he was perceived. The entire time Dyspo was just doing an act really.. He was hiding his true power. Had a good showing.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:52 am

Does anyone find Freeza taking orders from anyone just really weird. The scariest thing is.....Gohan is possibly like one of the last people I would ever think Freeza would listen to. I mean that was just weird.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 am

After seeing this image, part of me wants to see "Wolverine" Freeza now. :lol: :lol:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 am

Dyspo's fighting sound reminded me of the random people from South Park RARARARARARARARARAARARARA

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 am

This certainly was not an epic episode even though some major eliminations occurred. But I honestly think this is the best way for Gohan to go out which is with Dyspo. Gohan eliminating Dyspo on his own would've felt like a force by the writers to give Gohan a big win. And Gohan getting eliminated by Dyspo would seem like the writers playing a numbers game to reduce U7's members and Gohan would be the scapegoat. As a Gohan fan I'm content because Gohan wasn't too high or low.

Most of Gohan's ToP action came in the form of teamwork and I'm ok with that. Gohan wasn't strong enough on his own to handle things and I think that makes sense considering he just started training before the ToP started. The Frieza laser cage was pretty cool. As for Dyspo, I think the fitting end for him would've been for Hit to eliminate him. Hit had done everything to figure him out (even though Dsypo hadn't used Light Speed but I'm sure Hit would figure that out) so I feel like Hit deserves that elimination.

Since the show is ending soon, this is the last time I'll see Gohan fight :(

Next episode looks good with Toppo going all out.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:23 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Does anyone find Freeza taking orders from anyone just really weird. The scariest thing is.....Gohan is possibly like one of the last people I would ever think Freeza would listen to. I mean that was just weird.
Well compared to who though? I think Freeza would sabotage the team rather than listen to Goku or Vegeta. I also doubt he views anyone else besides Gohan as worth his time.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:25 am

lancerman wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Does anyone find Freeza taking orders from anyone just really weird. The scariest thing is.....Gohan is possibly like one of the last people I would ever think Freeza would listen to. I mean that was just weird.
Well compared to who though? I think Freeza would sabotage the team rather than listen to Goku or Vegeta. I also doubt he views anyone else besides Gohan as worth his time.
Not sure why he'd view him as worth his time honestly. I just don't think he'd listen to anyone honestly. It's pretty shocking with how compliant he was.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:25 am

That last NEP Toppo looks Scary AF

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:11 am

Gohan was the team leader at least officially. I believe his role as a leader wasn`t shown at all in this tournament. The opposite everyone started doing whatever he wanted :) I`m not sure did Gohan Eliminate anyone else than Dyspo and the Namekians?

In any case 10mins of reused animation. I got nothing against that, but when you get Takahashi to draw KaleXCaulifla vs Goku and leave Gohan with reused animation and 3 mins screen time. I dunno, this doesn`t seem right. I`m pretty sure most of us expected more of our boy. He had so much to protect and so much motivation to grow beyond his limits. He was supposed to get stronger "in his own way", if he got stronger by any chance, I guess I`ve missed it. We got promised a lot and received this.

RANT TIME: Now that we know that Super is ending, these episodes should make up for the last tree years. Resurrection of F was bad, Black`s power boosts were bad, Zamasu`s arc ended strange, whole tournament of power was mediocre at best, looking back at Super, I guess Battle of Gods was the best thing. Sure we got UI and Vegeta`s new form, but that hardly make for all the other stuff. The more I go back the more Super looks like, and maybe worst than GT.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:25 am

17: You bastard, you stole my strategy! I WANTED TO BE THE SACRIFICE, NOW I HAVE TO DEAL WITH A GOD!

I actually enjoyed this episode more than the last two, and that ain't dissing those other two. Frieza and Dyspo play surprisingly well off of each other, and Gohan's cage strategy was a pretty visually neat idea, though there was a noticeable increase in re-used animation for this episode. Also, I'm starting to get attached to Dypso, there's something endearing about him to me.

In other news: TOPPO, OH MY GOD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE!?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017