Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41 pm

That was a nice episode, better than last week for sure!

- Er... Quite a stupid move made by Goku and Vegeta stop punching Jiren (when they're pushing him a lot this way) to use their signature techniques that did no effect on him :|

- I liked that Dyspo technique is like Gotenks's Galactic Donuts :D

- So Dyspo has a aura similar to Beerus? That's interesting, but it sucks they never addressed their physical resemblance.

- Er... Also quite stupid that Dyspo was holding this power against Goku and Hit who almost eliminated him :eh:

- Is Zen-Oh really that all powerful? Not being able to keep up with the speed of a mere mortal? Guess the glass canon theory could still be applied :think:

- I bet some people said "Badass Gohan is back!" when he said he would knock Freeza by himself if he attempted to betray U7

- The match between Gohan and Dyspo was decently done! Loved the concept of the Cage Of Light and how Gohan had time to finish Dyspo before Freeza runs out stamina due using that technique! :thumbup:

- About Gohan being eliminated: I was fine with it, he had a great showing in this tournament, it would be just dellusional to think he would achieve a power-up that could make him able to solo everyone and his treatment was way better than in the last arcs for sure! :)

- NEP shows Toppo without shirt with a similar Beerus aura and a demon-like appearance, I'm looking forward to it! :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 pm

It feels like Gohan was barely in this entire tournament. All I remember is a few vague scenes beating Botamo, that fighting guy, and the two Nameks.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:48 pm

precita wrote:It feels like Gohan was barely in this entire tournament. All I remember is a few vague scenes beating Botamo, that fighting guy, and the two Nameks.
103, 108, 118, 120, 121, and 124 all featured Gohan prominently. Going in the sag as a whole: 81, 84, 88, 90, 103, 108, 118, 120, 121, and 124.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 pm

But its scraps and pieces. This was Gohan's last episode and he literally doesn't appear till the last 5 minutes.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:53 pm

precita wrote:But its scraps and pieces. This was Gohan's last episode and he literally doesn't appear till the last 5 minutes.
Yes. That is legitimately a problem. But it's not like he was treated poorly with what he did get. He should have had more time dedicated to him, but he wasn't shafted.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:53 pm

I did feel a little underwhelmed by Gohan's ring out, but he did a great job. He took down, and helped take down a decent amount of fighters.

No complaints, but it's pretty interesting to see 17 still in the game at this point... He probably only has an episode or two left.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:54 pm

It was a good episode.

Gohan has had more than his fair share of prominence in this Tournament beating Obuni, Pirina, Saonel, Koichiarator and now Dyspo as well.

I'm glad the focus was more on Dyspo and Frieza especially as Frieza had yet to have a major battle.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:57 pm

I think KiraPre ending next week and Hugtto starting the week after may partly explain all this reused animation and stiffness, but I could be wrong.

Not the episode I'd want right after the hiatus announcement, but maybe this'll sway people to think of the hiatus as a positive?

It wasn't the most interesting of episodes, but that preview of final form Toppo looks intimidating.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:59 pm

An odd episode with good concept and horrible execution.
    The animation was weak unlike last week where it was enjoyable here there was too much flurry puches and re used animation making this battle a slog to rewatch,at least the concept were neat and I liked how Dyspo speed is not dependant on power making his battle with Frieza exciting.
      Gohan was just shoe horned near at the end,i mentioned this before but Gohan should have gotten Dyspo while Frieza with Toppo now we got a mess, not even mad about him getting eliminated here since the strategy was clever but man I needed a better payoff for this.
        Not the greatest episode and considering we're nearing at the end,it makes the experience all the more disappointing.Funny that Dyspo got no points :lol: would have prefer if he was taken out by Hit.
        Mostly active on discord.

buutenks
        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 pm

Chuquita wrote:I think KiraPre ending next week and Hugtto starting the week after may partly explain all this reused animation and stiffness, but I could be wrong.

Not the episode I'd want right after the hiatus announcement, but maybe this'll sway people to think of the hiatus as a positive?

It wasn't the most interesting of episodes, but that preview of final form Toppo looks intimidating.
        I dont think his body changes. Think he just powers up and his body gets surrounded by that GoD energy. Could be wrong tho.

OLKv3
        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Most of the Gohan episodes were disappointing and this one was no different. I think the only Gohan episode I actually liked was Him and Piccolo vs the U6 Namekians

nato25
        Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Gohan had HEAPS of showing in the tournament. From memory alone theres all the times with piccolo (the snipers) , the locket guy, the namekian fight, against the robots and now this. He did heaps in those as well.

precita
        Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Most of the Gohan episodes were disappointing and this one was no different. I think the only Gohan episode I actually liked was Him and Piccolo vs the U6 Namekians
        This wasn't a Gohan episode though, he was literally only in it for 6 minutes. :lol:

This was a Freeza/Dyspo episode.

MegaBossMan
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:25 pm

I am absolutely mystified that Gohan couldn't outlast #17. It's a horrible narrative misstep not to keep Gohan in; especially seeing as he's been proving his worth this whole Tournament by being one of two contestants to be taking out other Universes. I just... don't get it. I've made my distaste of the sporadic writing themes approach used in Super, and without a strong presentation to mask these flaws, this episode just fell flat. I really haven't liked how they've been handling Dyspo in these past 2 episodes either; I can't reasonably find him to be a threat when he's being outpaced by a fighter like Freeza who's gone so far as to act like Dyspo's been overpowering him. The only saving grace is that next episode looks like it'll be fun.

Oh, and I suppose the tactic on display here with Freeza limiting Dyspo's speed was nice. Last episode had fun strategies in display too, so it's nice they've kept up the theme of teamwork and mind over matter. I just wish these were presented better.

(P.S Toei please feel free to take out 17 now, I like him a lot but I think I've had enough of him now. He's gotten his fair share of amazing moments)
        By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

precita
        Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:27 pm

There must be some writer in Toei who has been in love with 17 since he was a small child. No other explanation makes sense why he's lasted till the very end over Goku's own son.

sintzu
        Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:42 pm

Very lackluster choreography which should give us an idea about what would happen if Super continued during the movie's production but story wise I think Gohan went out on a high note. We're down to the last 6 so next to go out should be 17 then Freeza followed by Toppo then Vegeta.
        July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Torturephile
        Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:44 pm

-Too much reused animation on this episode to the point which none of the fights felt new outside of Freeza vs. Dyspo. Same old Goku and Vegeta spamming their signature attacks along with Freeza fingering everything. Character movement was stiff and reminded me of Super's earlier episodes, just with better art. I do like the strategy involved to defeat Dyspo, though.

-I don't really care about Gohan, and haven't done since he called Super Buu a retard but was outmanuvered and absorbed by him, so I'm glad 17 outlasted him. I'm glad this was more of a Freeza and Dyspo episode. Did people forget episode 112 was called "Vegeta's Resolve" but was a Cabba episode instead while Vegeta only showed up for two minutes?

-The GodPad joke was funny.

I'm looking forward to Black Topless Toppo.

Noah
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:06 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Android 17 has officially outlasted Gohan in this tournament. And frankly, nearly every other U7 character was more interesting in this arc than Gohan too, even Master Roshi. What a terrible character.
        Sure, like Gohan is only interesting when he gets power-ups out of his ass and stomps everyone else.
        precita wrote:Let's just say I'm glad Super is ending now.
        You change your mind really fast, don't you? :P
        乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

batistabus
        Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:12 am

I'm not sure if it's because Super's ending, but the things that usually bother me with the anime didn't bother me as much this time. I'm going to enjoy this ride to the fullest until the end of the tournament! Dyspo's really cool. I kind of wish Freeza made a comment like "I once had a underling who claimed to be the fastest in the universe...but he must've forgotten about me!" Gohan hasn't been able to "take the shot" in the ToP, but I like that he took influence from his father's move against Raditz. I'm interested to see where God of Destruction Toppo leads...hopefully not to a disqualification.

Freeza9000
        Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 am

batistabus wrote:I kind of wish Freeza made a comment like "I once had a underling who claimed to be the fastest in the universe...but he must've forgotten about me!"
        Here's me hoping Freeza remarked the uncanny resemblance between Dyspo and Beerus.