Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Things I Liked:

-Gohan and Freeza's strategy was very interesting.
-Emphasis on strategy while still keeping power levels in mind was appreciated by me personally.
-The writing in general was solid this episode.
-I liked Dyspo's showing; I figured he was Universe 11's #3 for a reason, and he didn't disappoint me... much.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-In terms of concept and writing, I like the way Gohan went out; in terms of execution, giving him barely over five minutes in an episode initially titled "Gohan's Last Stand" is quite ridiculous.
-I both liked and disliked Freeza's showing this episode; certain elements felt very "Freeza-like," whereas others felt sort of shoehorned in for plot's sake. This point is a little hard for me to really describe, but I guess I just felt that he both was and simultaneously was not in-character this episode.

Things I Disliked:

-Real talk: "Super Maximum High-Speed Mode" is a stupid name for Dyspo's ultimate technique. Maybe it sounds better in Japanese to the Japanese, but to my ignorant English brain, it's dumb.
-Didn't we already establish that the Omni Kings couldn't keep up with Dyspo back in episode 104? Maybe I missed something here, but it felt like we were just rehashing the same point from that episode.
-Speaking of rehashing, the biggest offender in this episode was the animation. I normally don't bother listing animation in my dislike category, and if I do, it's usually a minor complaint. This time, however, it was quite obnoxious. I'm not that big on re-used animation, but I can let it slide if it's utilized well (example: episode 98 compared to episode 97). It was not utilized well this episode. In fact, it was distracting for a good chunk of this episode. When the re-used animation is taking me out of the episode, that's when it reaches issue status for me.
-Goku and Vegeta's scenes felt like complete filler this episode. Probably wasn't necessary to have them Kamehameha and Final Flash again this episode, especially when it had way less "oomph."

Overall, this episode was conceptually fantastic. I liked the Gohan and Freeza vs. Dyspo idea, I liked the light cage idea, and I liked the Gohan martyring himself idea. However, there were a couple of major setbacks that hindered the enjoyment of this episode. The biggest issue was of course the animation. This much re-used animation this late in the game is not a good sign. It was very distracting for me personally. The other major issue was how Gohan didn't seem to be the focus of an episode where he should be the focus. I'm fine with his overall showing this tournament, but he did not get the screentime he perhaps should have for his last outing. TL;DR, this episode should've been great but ended up painfully mediocre.

NEP looks cool though.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote: -Didn't we already establish that the Omni Kings couldn't keep up with Dyspo back in episode 104? Maybe I missed something here, but it felt like we were just rehashing the same point from that episode.
It was a nod to that episode. In episode 104, they complained they couldn't keep up with the fight and Daishinkan updated Godpad with a slow motion option. This time not even that option allowed them to watch the fight, meaning Dyspo has faster than before.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:57 pm

gofishus wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Arg wrote:
Right. And tearing off his ears, burning a few holes into his torso. Just another example of bad writing this arc.
Super isn't graphic like that and breaking limbs in dragon ball has never really mattered.
I dont think u watched the episode where Android 18 broke Vegeta's arm or when Gohan's arm was broken
18 broke his arm then she knocked him out we never saw him fight with it and Gohan still defeated Cell even with one arm

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Recycled fight scenes made the episode very dull. The beginning of Dyspo and Freeza was OK but it reused scenes again. The episode wasn't good because of the lack of creativity.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:It was a nod to that episode. In episode 104, they complained they couldn't keep up with the fight and Daishinkan updated Godpad with a slow motion option. This time not even that option allowed them to watch the fight, meaning Dyspo has faster than before.
Ah, I see. Must've missed that then. Thank you for the clarification.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:29 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Tombstone1988 wrote: -Didn't we already establish that the Omni Kings couldn't keep up with Dyspo back in episode 104? Maybe I missed something here, but it felt like we were just rehashing the same point from that episode.
It was a nod to that episode. In episode 104, they complained they couldn't keep up with the fight and Daishinkan updated Godpad with a slow motion option. This time not even that option allowed them to watch the fight, meaning Dyspo has faster than before.
One thing that I thought was interested to note was that the GP said something like "I'll have to upgrade the godPads with higher tech next time". I wonder what he means by "next time"...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

What is the point of Freeza constantly trying to make deals with other universes just for it to go nowhere? Before the TOP, Freeza tried to make a deal with U9 to fight for them and it was turned down. Just now he agreed to work with Dyspo and U11 and it was turned down. Before that you can arguably say him pretending to work with Frost was the same deal.

So what is all this leading to when it's turned down each time?

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 pm

precita wrote:What is the point of Freeza constantly trying to make deals with other universes just for it to go nowhere? Before the TOP, Freeza tried to make a deal with U9 to fight for them and it was turned down. Just now he agreed to work with Dyspo and U11 and it was turned down. Before that you can arguably say him pretending to work with Frost was the same deal.

So what is all this leading to when it's turned down each time?
Because he's not looking to save U6 he's looking to win and/or survive. U9 took too long, Frost showed how green he was and how much of a liability he is, and dyspo just wasn't having it. Plus Freeza's whole M.O has been to take the path of least resistance in the tournament. Which is why he tends to snap into golden to finish a fight or not waste stamina on someone otherwise equal to his Final Form.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:03 am

This might not be a popular opinion but I thought this was a good episode for Gohan. We all know the writing in this tournament arc could be better, so I've been taking an approach for a while now of just working with what they give us , and this one wasn't bad for him. I thought when he said he'd ring Freeza out himself if he double crossed him and then stared him down like Goku did at the end on Namek was a really good shot. He also figured out Dyspo's weakness, and immediately countered his own weakness when his plan fell apart at the end to get a ringout on Dyspo.

Gohan got robbed out of a good character episode by the U6 Namekians not getting more time with him and Piccolo, but I think he got a good ending for his character's status in the show. Everyone on the bench seemed to be looking at him with respect, which is a feeling he probably hasn't felt since Cell. Good for Gohan.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:05 am

obiwan23s wrote:This might not be a popular opinion but I thought this was a good episode for Gohan. We all know the writing in this tournament arc could be better, so I've been taking an approach for a while now of just working with what they give us , and this one wasn't bad for him. I thought when he said he'd ring Freeza out himself if he double crossed him and then stared him down like Goku did at the end on Namek was a really good shot. He also figured out Dyspo's weakness, and immediately countered his own weakness when his plan fell apart at the end to get a ringout on Dyspo.

Gohan got robbed out of a good character episode by the U6 Namekians not getting more time with him and Piccolo, but I think he got a good ending for his character's status in the show. Everyone on the bench seemed to be looking at him with respect, which is a feeling he probably hasn't felt since Cell. Good for Gohan.
I'd say he went out fine, but got robbed this episode by screen time alone. 5 minutes in an episode with his name on it, and he's gone. About a quarter of the episode to come in, do a quick something, and then leave. Freeza was gonna have more time anyways since he's still in so I don't think he needed to basically steal all the screen time here.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:11 am

Honestly just realized all of the reused and recycled animation in this episode alone... which was quite ridiculous now if you ask me. The scenes that weren't recycled weren't executed all that well, and the scenes that were executed well were mostly reused. Ugh... I hope that's not the case for UI Goku vs Jiren. I can let some reused animation slide, but an entire episode of it is too much indeed.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 am

Comments on this episode:

- I can't tell if the animation is bad here or if the video I'm watching just has low quality
- Maybe they should have kept up the physical attacks instead of switching to ki blasts - they were driving him back after all, and didn't they say last episode that the former were more effective anyway?
- Oh, like we didn't see that coming. What a cliche. Do characters suppress their ki to the point of undetectability just to trick their opponents into thinking they've been defeated in these situations or something? Even so, just standing back and waiting is never a good idea.
- Now they're reusing animation from the 17 vs. Kakunsa fight...
- That attack reminds me of some of Gotenks' attacks against Buu
- Freeza shouldn't have let go of him... keeping a hold on him with his tail would negate his speed
- Dyspo is an honorable guy, I knew he wouldn't accept that
- This is now the second time they've reused that transformation animation... this episode's budget must not be all that high
- The Zenos were able to see Goku and Vegeta fighting Jiren just fine, so does this mean Dyspo really is faster than Jiren? Or Jiren just hasn't used close to his full speed yet
- It was also said earlier that even Vados could barely see Dyspo when he was using the technique that was still slow enough for the Godpads to record, but now he's even faster, does that mean he's faster than Vados?
- Since Dyspo can't fly here, shouldn't the same strategy they used against Damon work? Hit him while he's in the air and can't quickly change directions
- Why doesn't Freeza try to restrain him with telekinesis instead?
- I see another reused animation sequence...
- I also don't get why it consumes so much of Freeza's stamina to maintain that cage... seems kind of like an arbitrary way to impose a time limit and raise tension. Why doesn't he narrow the cage? A smaller cage would not only be more effective but probably use up less ki
- They talk about how it's a big deal that Dyspo is faster than light, but I wonder how much faster, and who else (besides the Angels) is that fast?
- So some people were speculating about Belmod tranferring his Hakaishin powers/title to Toppo in the next episode, but they also said that simply being Hakaishin doesn't make you stronger, and if that's the case I don't see why it would help, it might give him the ability to use destruction techniques but those are worthless here since killing is prohibited

Underwhelming episode but I'm glad we're getting close to the finale
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KurumiShim

Post by KurumiShim » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 am

Though I had wanted the remaining minutes of the tournament to be focused on Goku, Vegeta and Jiren, watching Frieza's battle tactics was satisfying. His teamwork with Gohan was a good idea, but it could have been better if Gohan has his own spotlight to defeat the opponent. I've been waiting the moment he would at least make a decent fight with a strong opponent, just like how he defeated Cell (with the exception of too much screaming and charging in a single episode). Nevertheless, his sacrifice in this episode to defeat Dyspo was a notable one.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Comments on this episode:

- It was also said earlier that even Vados could barely see Dyspo when he was using the technique that was still slow enough for the Godpads to record, but now he's even faster, does that mean he's faster than Vados?
I think it's just another plot hole (like thousands that we had before)...
Hit is SSJB + Kaioken level...He (with his technique) is surely faster than golden Freeza...We can't believe that Golden Freeza was faster than Dyspo and he used his ultimate technique like it was said...Dyspo was probably just a regular faster when he was fighting Freeza...And when Freeza became Golden, Dyspo needed to use his full potential (the same he was using against Hit)...It makes no sense if he didn't used his fastest technique only to be defeated by Hit. So, his fastest move was when he was fighting Hit and he repeated his technique against Golden Freeza...Anything else makes no sense...
Anyway, his fastest movment can't be faster than Vado's eyes. She was only watching the fight and she could see. It's common in Dragon Ball comments like these (Like Goku saying he can't see Olibe's moves against Pikkon for example)...Dyspo can move at lightspeed, Vados is way faster with the warp technique. So she can overpass Dyspo's speed easily. And I think even a hakaishin could be able too.
Vados Sama!

AromaticPond

Post by AromaticPond » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 am

First post!!!

Anyway, I feel Gohan got F ed over in this tournament. He was supposed to be trying to get back in the mix at the top of the table but instead he has become Supers version of Zs Tien/Yamcha. I know Goku is going to be the one to save the day AGAIN but I honestly thought Vegeta was going to be the one who got done over in favour of Gohan so that it would be Goku Gohan and Frieza at the end but then i am a little biased :angel:

I thought that he would at least get some form of power up when Piccolo was eliminated to bring him up around Kefla's level. How does he compare to all these new Saiyans who power up when they sneeze? Hopefully after the hiatus they can give him some love and send him (and a couple of others) on their own path so that its not just blue Saiyans everywhere.

Frieza is being very sneaky next up he will get Vegeta to sacrifice himself against Toppo and then he will reveal his true power. Maybe God Ki? In the end it'll be Goku and Frieza against Jiren

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:20 pm

Thought from a narrative perspective the episode played out well, just let down yet again by piss poor art & animation.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Ill be blunt, while nice episode. I just want to see the final fight between Ui Goku n Jiren. I dont care about GoD Toppo, whatever Vegeta going to get or anyone else. Since ep 109/110 that is all i have been waiting for.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:31 pm

obiwan23s wrote:This might not be a popular opinion but I thought this was a good episode for Gohan. We all know the writing in this tournament arc could be better, so I've been taking an approach for a while now of just working with what they give us , and this one wasn't bad for him. I thought when he said he'd ring Freeza out himself if he double crossed him and then stared him down like Goku did at the end on Namek was a really good shot. He also figured out Dyspo's weakness, and immediately countered his own weakness when his plan fell apart at the end to get a ringout on Dyspo.

I think that you are right. Gohan did good in the tournament but he should have had more screen time in his last episode. But, I don't mind how he went out during this episode.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Comments on this episode:

- This is now the second time they've reused that transformation animation... this episode's budget must not be all that high
It's the fourth time, actually.

First: Episode 94 (with Goku, against the Assassins)
Second: Episode 108 (when he was 'fighting' Gohan)
Third: Episode 121 (in order to blast Anilaza)
Fourth: Episode 124 (against Dyspo)

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm

AromaticPond wrote:First post!!!

Anyway, I feel Gohan got F ed over in this tournament. He was supposed to be trying to get back in the mix at the top of the table but instead he has become Supers version of Zs Tien/Yamcha. I know Goku is going to be the one to save the day AGAIN but I honestly thought Vegeta was going to be the one who got done over in favour of Gohan so that it would be Goku Gohan and Frieza at the end but then i am a little biased :angel:

I thought that he would at least get some form of power up when Piccolo was eliminated to bring him up around Kefla's level. How does he compare to all these new Saiyans who power up when they sneeze? Hopefully after the hiatus they can give him some love and send him (and a couple of others) on their own path so that its not just blue Saiyans everywhere.

Frieza is being very sneaky next up he will get Vegeta to sacrifice himself against Toppo and then he will reveal his true power. Maybe God Ki? In the end it'll be Goku and Frieza against Jiren
Welcome!