Super Episode 125 (28 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 125 (28 January 2018)

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:56 am

Toppo lost his cool to me now he's stopped throwing Dabs

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:22 am

Fucking. Mindblown. I don't care that my favourite character got so awesomely thrashed in this episode.

Fucking. Mindblown.

Everything was amazing in this episode, besides Vegeta's stupid Don't Order Me Around, which makes it sound as if he's Cell Arc Vegeta and has been teleported here.

Again, the Jiren vs Goku/Vegeta fight takes a back seat in order to show us the true fight of this episode - Toppo vs 17 and his thrashing of Frieza. It's a pity that Frieza got damaged by Dyspo in the previous eps - him getting dominated by Toppo would make his power-up even more impressive, but the artwork and the choreography went all-eleven on us and over-delivered. Part of what made Toppo so awesome was the close-ups, the looks, the colors. Definitely amazing work and one of the best episodes in the ToP so far. Roshi-eps quality, yup.

I was definitely sure Frieza would get KO'ed but 17 saved him.

Frieza definitely got his Karma 100%. He got stomped for being so cocky, arrogant and thrash-talking, and got saved at the last moment for saving Goku at the last moment. Definite Karma. Let's see if he will learn from that (history says 'no').

17 will probably be out of tactics in the next episode, which is why Vegeta will be forced to jump in (no sense in having only Frieza getting his ass kicked).

Really excited for this episode.

Also, Jiren FINALLY acknowledging someone from his team other than gesturing him to stay back was neat.

I want God Toppo for FighterZ. Like yesterday. Don't care which DLC character will have to be cancelled in his stead, but I want him.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:41 am

Asura wrote:Calling it right now, Freeza is going to be incapacitated for near the rest of the tournament until probably right before the finale, and that will somehow make him the last one standing in the end.
I'm sure eventually they'll notice Freeza hasn't been knocked out and isn't sitting on the stands.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:44 am

I also find amusing that Frieza keeps being the catalyst for cool transformations. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:50 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:I wish Freeza got eliminated. He finally got his fucking comeuppance.. Damn that felt good to watch :thumbup: .
The best part was Vegeta's reaction but most didn't see it because of how fast it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 am

I absolutely loath this tournament, but this episode was actually the best so far.
I enjoyed the surprise of Toppo being a God of destruction and trashing Frieza.
And 17 (who is among my favourites) did incredibly well.
Why couldn't the writers do that for all the other U7 contestants from the start?

This is how every episode should have been!

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:00 am

Holy fuck. Toppo just became my favorite ToP character.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:25 am

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:41 am

Really, really fun week! A bit heavy on the homages—Gohan vs. Cell beam-struggle interruption, Namek arc Genki Dama, Namek arc gut-punch, etc.—but that's nothing new for Super, and those aside the episode was full of memorable moments of its own and delivered on the sense of climax the arc has badly needed for a while.

#17 in particular was incredibly enjoyable this episode, with his aloof commentary on being shocked his attacks had no effect, looking for ways to run down the timer, etc. We've never had a fighting character so bemused and pragmatic before.

Freeza's obviously still set to do something important before the tournament's end, but that kind of beat-down has been a long time coming no matter where his arc goes. Toppo's counterattack is also the first time in recent memory a I've felt a Dragon Ball scene sold the impact and pain of the blows. Ouch. Really well-conveyed.

Wish we'd made a little time for some Pride Trooper reactions to Toppo's change in character, but oh well.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:45 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Everything was amazing in this episode, besides Vegeta's stupid Don't Order Me Around, which makes it sound as if he's Cell Arc Vegeta and has been teleported here.
Personally, I'll take that over GT's "I'll follow your lead, Kakarot" anyday.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:00 am

Worst part about this episode was preview spoiling of 17's elimination, damn Toei :( bye Android 17, you'd been the best one so far, I hope he'll be present in future series too, this will probably be his last fight ever tho

Aside from that, Perfect episode, i loved Re3 Nemesis style Toppo, GoD mode is scary as fuck, Frieza surviving on the edge of the ring is a sign for sure, probably Heroes got it right and in the end will be Golden Frieza and Goku vs Jiren, Vegeta is going to pull another Fat Buu suicide attack, but having success and eliminating Toppo in the next episode or two imho

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:09 am

MrBlackFox wrote:Worst part about this episode was preview spoiling of 17's elimination, damn Toei :( bye Android 17, you'd been the best one so far, I hope he'll be present in future series too, this will probably be his last fight ever tho

Aside from that, Perfect episode, i loved Re3 Nemesis style Toppo, GoD mode is scary as fuck, Frieza surviving on the edge of the ring is a sign for sure, probably Heroes got it right and in the end will be Golden Frieza and Goku vs Jiren, Vegeta is going to pull another Fat Buu suicide attack, but having success and eliminating Toppo in the next episode or two imho
17 was shown to be disqualified in Anilaza's ep, but turned out to be PSYCHE! Perhaps Goku will save him with IT. We'll see.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:10 am

They really missed the opportunity of having Freeza and Toppo interact more.

Toppo is the true main character of the TOP, I knew he was going to be badass here too.

It was cool how even now 20 years later, Freeza still makes the same mistakes when losing his shit.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:29 am

Easily one of the best episodes in the TOP up until this point and the next few episodes look promising aswell. These fights are what we have all been waiting for and for now, they are delivering.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:34 am

I like te sort of teamwork between Android 17 and Freeza. Helping each other. Somehow its great to watch.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:14 am

So anybody can get the God of Destruction powers now? Oh well, more ideas for Pixiv artist.

And man, Freeza never learns. He is destined to repeat his mistakes over and over again. Either that or he has a terrible memory (which would explain why he numbers his planets instead of assigning names for them).
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:16 am

What a bad, bad episode. It's episodes like these why I think it's better that Super (at least temporarily) calls it quits.

With only 6 episodes left we get the same horrible tropes we've seen far too much:

-Character getting a random ass powerup out of nowhere to prolong the fight.
-People at the bench constantly explaining everything in order to fill up running time
-Time progressing as slow as possible. This normally doesn't bother me but when a character has a tactic where he plans to stall in order to let the team win it falls flat when one minute seems to last one episode. Reminded me of Namek's "one minute until the planet explodes".
-No eliminations even though characters clearly CAN eliminate someone.
-Filler fighting. Fighting without any progress in story or characters, meaning the Jiren/Goku/Vegeta fight. That fight didn't progress at all
-Forced references to earlier Dragonball.

What I did like however were the interactions between Toppo/Freeza/17. 17 Really shined in this episodes and I'm glad this character got a second chance in Super. Freeza was pretty entertaining when the tables were turned.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:17 am

Can we just talk about how Jiren deflected a Final Flash with only his eyes?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 am

I love the change in scenery. I was hoping that the climax of the tournament would reach a point where the arena is completely messed up with debris flying everywhere. Looks like they actually did it, and in a really cool way too.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 am

What a great episode.

Y'know, I don't want to count my chickens before they've hatched here, but this is starting to shape up just how I predicted..

Best part of the episode was when we were led to believe that Freeza was straight hakai'd out of existence by Toppo there. Pure badass moment that I really wasn't expecting. That said, I'm really glad Frieza survived it, because I've been predicting for months now that he'd be making the final two. He's also really grown on me in this arc having previously been pretty indifferent to him, he's a great antagonistic character.

How I see it playing out from here: next week Toppo eliminates 17, then Vegeta eliminates both Toppo and himself the week after, all the while Frieza is still out of commission. Goku & Frieza will then face up against Jiren and just was some big climax occurs the tournament goes to time - U7 win 2v1. Just.

All that said, again, this was a great episode. Best one in weeks. I really like the whole Toppo GoD angle, great bit of character development there. Looks like the last few episodes are shaping up to be something special.