Super Episode 126 (4 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 126 (4 February 2018)

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Omg, I was not expecting Vegeta to use the Final Explosion on Toppo!
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
Slaythe wrote:So what happened to Toppo needing time to charge hakai ?

What happened to 17 trying to attack Toppo's aura from all angles + a continuous stream to see nothing can reach it yet decides to go with rocks ?

What happened to Frieza being totally fine and still mocking Toppo ?

It's obvious they wrote all those episodes at the same time and none of the writers got in touch so we have literally no consistency going on.

"Vegeta used up all his power", well check again he's back up no problem next week ....

Jesus christ it's all so poor.
Crazy idea here. How about you wait to see how he recovers next episode before you start throwing a temper tantrum like a child?

It’s not impossible for someone to give him energy since you know, there’s somebody on his team with an infinite amount of it?
Giving criticism is not "throwing a temper tantrum like a child". That's ridiculous and hostile for no reason besides him disliking something you like.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:29 pm

precita wrote:
Artorias wrote:
precita wrote:Did people watch without subs or something? Piccolo flat out said Vegeta survived because he's now Super Saiyan Blue and a million times stronger than he was in the early Buu arc.
That justification doesn't make any sense. Since he's stronger, AND since the blast was strong enough to knock out Toppo, the blast should scale up with his power. Aka it should be doing the same damage to him that it did back in the Buu saga, aka it should've killed him. Having him somehow survive is beyond lazy and contrived.
That doesn't mean anything, Vegeta could have used most of his energy and left some for himself this time around. In the Buu saga he was going all out because he wanted to make sure Buu was gone and knew he was going to die. His power in Blue form now is also so much higher it can keep him afloat.
Why would he arbitrarily "save some for himself" this time? He also wants to make sure Toppo is eliminated...Why would he hold anything back in one instance but not the other? It's extremely obvious this is just the writers having their cake and eating it too. They wanted to do an "emotional" callback, but they also wanted Vegeta to stick around, so they just randomly had him survive for no logical reason. There's ZERO point in doing this callback unless you have Vegeta die. That's literally the only point of that move. Without the death part, it's just a generic explosion that everyone can do. The whole point is that he's literally BLOWING HIMSELF UP.

And your second point just ignores everything I said.
Last edited by Artorias on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:30 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Also... 17 really thought rocks would be enough to scratch Toppo? Seriously? :lol:
Well....when in doubt rely on your instincts. Unfortunately for #17 he's human, all his instincts had got was "smash with rock", since "mobbing" and "bite and smash with fists" were not viable options.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:33 pm

I found this episode to be okay.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Artorias wrote:
precita wrote:
Artorias wrote:
That justification doesn't make any sense. Since he's stronger, AND since the blast was strong enough to knock out Toppo, the blast should scale up with his power. Aka it should be doing the same damage to him that it did back in the Buu saga, aka it should've killed him. Having him somehow survive is beyond lazy and contrived.
That doesn't mean anything, Vegeta could have used most of his energy and left some for himself this time around. In the Buu saga he was going all out because he wanted to make sure Buu was gone and knew he was going to die. His power in Blue form now is also so much higher it can keep him afloat.
Why would he arbitrarily "save some for himself" this time? He also wants to make sure Toppo is eliminated...Why would he hold anything back in one instance but not the other? It's extremely obvious this is just the writers having their cake and eating it too. They wanted to do an "emotional" callback, but they also wanted Vegeta to stick around, so they just randomly had him survive for no logical reason. There's ZERO point in doing this callback unless you have Vegeta die. That's literally the only point of that move. Without the death part, it's just a generic explosion that everyone can do. The whole point is that he's literally BLOWING HIMSELF UP.

He went all out and saved a bit of energy so he wouldn't die? What is the problem with that? And as said, his Blue form allowed him to unleashed far more energy than before allowing Toppo to be pushed out of the ring.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:There’s no way they would’ve killed off Vegeta. They weren’t going to do the same thing again. They wanted to show just how much stronger he’s become since the last time he used the attack.

What bugs me is that they established that it took all of Vegeta’s energy to do that attack, yet we see him in Blue again in the NEP. What?

Didn’t Goku use all his power when he turned UI and he was back fighting within one episode too.
Goku returning to strength made more sense since his fight with Kale and Caulifla was helping him regain his power. He slowly got his way back to Blue. I might be judging too quick since it’s just a NEP, but it looks like Vegeta goes right back to Blue even after that attack he just did.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Slaythe wrote:One of the weakest episode of the series ?

All the amazing momentum from 125 was completely wasted.

The writing was incompetent (not surprising given the writer), the direction was weak, the animation was serviceable (would have benefited from better direction), the pacing was bad...

And the story development was just absolutely atrocious.

Beyond "Vegeta winning", which isn't a problem at all, we have Vegeta using a deadly move with literally no consequence, completely trivializing Toppo on multiple occasions. "He used up all his power" yeah cool he's already back to Sparkly Blue in the NEP. Just like Goku is also back to Kaioken.

On top of that, they made Frieza EVEN MORE of an idiot, something I thought impossible after last week, he learned nothing and suffers the same fate... It also managed to make 17 look bad for the first time, quite the feat because it leads to 17 doing something important next week and will now be a jarring contrast. So 17 was literally powerless against Toppo but now he's gonna work out something against the guy stronger than Toppo... Ok, Super's consistency.

This is terrible. Last week was one of the best and this one was SUCH a let down.
Story development was bad? How so?

The episode stated Vegeta used up all of his energy and he can barely stand, what happens next episode is not this episode's fault, you still have no idea how Vegeta will be able to fight again.
Disagree. Frieza just giving up is not in his character, never been, even after being defeated by SSJ Goku, he still tried to win with futile attempts. When Frieza is cornered and beaten he almost never thinks straight and logically unless he had a plan going on like in the ROF case. What did you expect him to do, run?

Again with you jumping to conclusions before knowing what actually is going to happen. Also, 17 was powerless against Toppo because he was all alone, now he has 2 god tier characters backing him up so he has more time to use strategies and techniques that require time, like what Frieza did against Dyspo with the cage of death beams, saying they made 17 look bad because of this is wrong. You don't even know what will actually happen, and even if he does something really powerful next episode that he could have done here, it's not this episode's fault.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Artorias wrote:
precita wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Why would he arbitrarily "save some for himself" this time? He also wants to make sure Toppo is eliminated...Why would he hold anything back in one instance but not the other?

I think you are missing something crucial in your argument. Yes Vegeta is stronger so the blast is stronger but because he is stronger he doesn’t have to use up all his energy to blast Toppo.

Not to mention he was trying to blast Toppo off the stage not kill him like he tried to do with Buu.

So what Piccolo says actually makes sense because Vegeta is stronger he can handle channeling even more energy. He also didn’t necessarily need to kill himself to just knock Toppo off the stage.

It’s basically the same idea behind the attack it’s just no longer a sacrificial attack. At least that’s how I see it.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 pm

precita wrote:
Artorias wrote:
precita wrote:

He went all out and saved a bit of energy so he wouldn't die? What is the problem with that? And as said, his Blue form allowed him to unleashed far more energy than before allowing Toppo to be pushed out of the ring.
You are just straight up ignoring everything I'm saying, so I think we should just stop here.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:39 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:There’s no way they would’ve killed off Vegeta. They weren’t going to do the same thing again. They wanted to show just how much stronger he’s become since the last time he used the attack.

What bugs me is that they established that it took all of Vegeta’s energy to do that attack, yet we see him in Blue again in the NEP. What?

Didn’t Goku use all his power when he turned UI and he was back fighting within one episode too.
Goku returning to strength made more sense since his fight with Kale and Caulifla was helping him regain his power. He slowly got his way back to Blue. I might be judging too quick since it’s just a NEP, but it looks like Vegeta goes right back to Blue even after that attack he just did.

I think people are judging too quickly. I think we should just wait and see. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone gives him some energy in the next episode. Previews tend to be misleading.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 pm

While the previous episode was better overall, this episode was still good and pretty interesting in most aspects.

I'm actually happy to see Freeza back in the mix and bailing out #17. If Namek has taught me anything, is that guy is one tough motherfucker who doesn't when to back down.

I really enjoyed seeing how Toppo's mentality shifted so drastically with his casting aside everything in bid to eliminate Vegeta and ensure that Universe 11 win. I loved it even more when the distinction was made with Vegeta becoming more powerful and not casting anything aside like Toppo did.

I'm so happy that Vegeta got his first major in Dragon Ball in God knows how long (It may even be his first ever). More than anything, i'm happy his initial skirmishes with Toppo actually had some kind of payoff in the end. It's a shame they had to sacrifice the mystique of Hakaishin Toppo for it, but, hey, the trade-off was worth it in the end.

I love how they are playing the whole "Vegeta is out energy" card, when we know that he'll recover in the next minute. Hell, they show it in the NEP.

Jiren has to be the most anti-social antagonist Dragon Ball yet. Him throwing shades at Toppo, while praising Vegeta, and then roundhouse kicking Goku while he was in mid sentence of calling out Jiren for insulting Toppo cracked me the fuck up.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that Jiren SMILED. That legit freaked me out.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm

VEGETA-SAMA!!!!

I loved this episode! This is one of my favorites of the entire arc thus far! Vegeta has shown so much development! That final explosion was amazing! He showed Toppo what for.

And Jiren...holy cow is he terrifying. First he completely disses Toppo then he's like "watch this."

17 is probably going next week. But man, Jiren looks like he's done playing around. I'm so hyped!

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Oh my gosh !

As someone who hates Vegeta, this episode was freaking amazing. Episode 126 joins 110, 116, 118, 121, 123, and 125 as some of my all time favorite episodes in Dragon Ball history.

Vegeta in his time of "fight or flight" (with everything on the line) was driven to stand tall and succeed by the memories of his loved ones and his promise to a fellow Saiyan.

Off that motivation Vegeta started demolishing Toppo and punching through his forcefields and everything etc. So epic.

It all crescendos into the climax so brilliantly.

All that motivation that was pushing him on, and all the momentum and confidence he was gaining, Vegeta realises what he needs to do and it culminates into his final last attack against Toppo, where Vegeta refuses to lose and will stop at nothing to win.

The way they built it all up. The way both Vegeta and Toppo started powering up and their powers rising and rising. It was like 2 nuclear missiles that had just been launced flying on a collision course toward each other.

Vegeta and Toppo were like 2 brick walls coming straight at each other. As Vegeta starts his final attack, the flashback to Vegeta's scarfice against Buu and recalling of that memory by Piccolo was amazing.

Then the way Vegeta's power field finally overwhelms Toppo's destrction power, and then boom....soo epic...seeing Toppo get engulfed...Just WOW. We see Toppo drop out...and we are on the edge of our seats full of suspense wondering if Vegeat survived.

My god Vegeta's self sacrifice to eliminate Toppo was soo epic. Just as epic as Majun Vegeta's sacrifice against Fat Buu.

The Super team wrapped up Vegeta's character arc as best as you could have ever hoped for. Vegeta eliminated a god of destruction with the motivation of his loved ones while you got to see the full extent of Vegeta's power from his new form. Vegeta got the best farewell possible. Vegeta fans can be happy. Any Vegeta fans who had a persecutuon complex over Vegeta can never ever cry and whine again. Now it's time for Vegeta to get eliminated in episode 127. Vegeta got everything, you as a fan could ask for. Now its time to say goodbye to the Saiyan prince. Now its all about the MAIN charcater of Dragon Ball - the one and only legendary kind-kearted warripr spirit of the badass Goku.

Now we move on to what everyone has been highly anticipating. The all time legendary rematch between full powered UI Goku against full powered Jiren.

Super has been hitting everything out of the ball park. Now they need to NAIL Goku finally attaining the forshadowed doomsday UI Omen transaformation that the promo materials were teasing, where something awful happens that drives Goku into that legendary form.

I hope it's as epic and well done as when Goku went SSJ on Namek. I hope UI Omen Goku vs full power Jiren lasts for sveral episodes and is a continuous one vs one epic battle like Goku's one vs one against Frieza on Namek. I'm so hyped for episode 127. I think it will be one of the most epic and emotional episodes of Super where we say our final goodbyes and farewells to Vegeta and Android 17. Episode 128 begins the Goku vs Jiren mini-arc (I was hoping it would be started earlier and lasted longer)

I can see Android 17 lasting longer then Vegeta in that episode, and doing everything he can to protect Goku, but that once 17 falls, all hope will seemed to be lost "final barrier of hope." As the final barrier between Jiren and a tired Goku (andriod 17) falls to Jiren, and leaves Goku to have to fend off the unstoppable Jiren . The level of suspense will be crazy. The odds will have never been stacked higher against Goku. But Goku has overcome the odds before. If anyone can, Goku can.

Remember, something awful has to happen to drive Goku into that full power UI transofrmation (which the promo material teased)

So this is it. This is the end. It's here. I feel like I've been watching classic DBZ all over again with the tournament of power arc starting from episode 109 on. It's all been one hell of a rollercoaster ride. It's honestly going to be a little emotional when it ends.

A shame Super is ending now after finally hitting it's stride, but at least Super plans to leave on the most epic notes possible.

Thank you for everything Toriyama and Toei. I now anxiously await the all tme epic Goku vs Jiren showdown for ultimate survival and to end it all...Go Son Goku !
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm

That was awful. One of the weakest episodes in the series. So many bad decisions I can't even count.

Why is Toppo spamming Hakai spheres even though it supposedly takes a while to charge them? And why is he using them to blow up some rubble when his normal attacks should do that just fine? Why did #17 think that trapping Toppo under some rubble was an effective strategy when even the weakest fighters in the tournament could blow up the arena? I appreciate them trying to make #17 out to be some kind of tactician but that was a dumb strategy. And yet again with the rocks, if base Freeza (somehow) managed to trap Toppo, why did he waste his time throwing rocks and blasting him instead of just throwing him out of the arena like he did on Namek with Goku? Why is Jiren calling Goku and Vegeta "impudent bastards"? I want to say it feels out-of-character, after the way he keeps praising them both, but Jiren is just such a piece of boring cardboard that I can't even make that assertion. They claim that splitting up Goku and Vegeta is bad because then U11 would have the upperhand... how, exactly? If they split up Goku and Vegeta, then #17 and Freeza will fight Jiren alongside with Goku. U7 has the numerical advantage, how would splitting the fighters up be to THEIR detriment and not to U11's?

Hakai was just wasted completely. I won't dwell on the fact that any character touching Toppo should be destroyed (due to his Hakai aura), because Toppo obviously doesn't want to be DQ'd so he probably "turns it off" when attacking physically or when he's being attacked, but the fact that the Hakai balls can be destroyed by punches and Ki attacks is just stupid. Why bother going through the trouble of introducing this different kind of energy if it's no different from everything else? This problem already applied to last episode with Freeza surviving the Hakai sphere but it just gets amped up to absurdity in this one. "I'll give you an attack too powerful to destroy" is up there with "I'm too fast for your Time-Skip now" and "My power surpasses my own understanding." I shouldn't have to explain why Vegeta getting a power boost thinking of his family and friends is a bad thing. It was bad when he first transformed, it's bad now. Dragon Ball doesn't do power-ups like that and, when it does, they come from rage and/or amount to nothing.

The decision to use his self-destruction move was stupid. He did it against Boo because he was losing and, even if he was stronger, he'd have to blow him up so he wouldn't be able to regenerate. Here, he was winning and all he had to do was throw Toppo out of the arena. Why sacrifice your Ki and health over a fight that you had the upper-hand in? And the scene itself was terrible. You don't defeat a major antagonist with a rehash of a previous moment. That's not memorable, that's not new, that's not exciting. That's stupidly trying to piggyback on the old series' name and status without actually having the balls to go through and kill the character off like Z did. Let's throw a bit of character regression by switching Goku's name in his speech to Cabba's. Furthermore, the excuse they used was just incredibly stupid. He survived because he's stronger now than he was back in the Boo arc? Uh... his fucking attack is stronger now, too! Or are they trying to imply that Vegeta just eliminated Toppo with an attack that couldn't even kill Majin Boo? And, of course, Toppo amounted to nothing after his display last episode. You thought he was going to be defeated by some strategy after they stressed how he must have a weakness in his perfect defense and he needs to charge his attacks. But nope, he just gets overpowered.

The stamina thing is getting out of hand. If Goku wasn't enough, Freeza is back up this episode after getting absolutely destroyed in the last one (and his presence didn't serve any purpose, either. He's out of sight after his attack and isn't even present in the NEP). Vegeta, too, used all of his power, only to get back to full power next episode. I also think this needs to be stated, the episode was filled with an excessive amount of padding. 2 minutes at the start showing us the end of the previous episode plus 2 minutes of a flashback of Majin Vegeta's sacrifice. What's the point?

There were some things I appreciated, but they were plagued with problems also. I liked #17 being treated as a tactician as I said, but I've already highlighted the problems in his strategy. I like Jiren belittling Toppo, because I feel that one who holds justice at such a high level would have no respect for someone like Toppo who chose to cast it aside, but without the knowledge we have on his character from the manga, it feels contradictory with the way he's been portrayed so far and even out-of-character (as well as his little smirk at the end). I did like him one-shotting Goku though, since that's what he should be capable of doing and what he should have done all along. Thematically, I like the idea of Vegeta, who takes a more selfless pride on who he is and who he's surrounded by, defeating someone who chose to cast away his ideals for the sake of power, but, again, the way it was executed was awful.

I don't usually rant like this, but this was beyond terrible, it even surpasses episode 12. I didn't think the ToP could be this bad before, but it just keeps proving me wrong. I fear for the finale.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Slaythe wrote:One of the weakest episode of the series?

All the amazing momentum from 125 was completely wasted.

The writing was incompetent (not surprising given the writer), the direction was weak, the animation was serviceable (would have benefited from better direction), the pacing was bad... And the story development was just absolutely atrocious.

Beyond "Vegeta winning", which isn't a problem at all, we have Vegeta using a deadly move with literally no consequence, completely trivializing Toppo on multiple occasions. "He used up all his power" yeah cool he's already back to Sparkly Blue in the NEP. Just like Goku is also back to Kaioken.

On top of that, they made Frieza EVEN MORE of an idiot, something I thought impossible after last week, he learned nothing and suffers the same fate... It also managed to make 17 look bad for the first time, quite the feat because it leads to 17 doing something important next week and will now be a jarring contrast. So 17 was literally powerless against Toppo but now he's gonna work out something against the guy stronger than Toppo... Ok, Super's consistency.

This is terrible. Last week was one of the best and this one was SUCH a let down.
I agree wholeheartedly with this post! It really irks me how inconsistent is the writing of the show! It's like the writers never talk among themselves!
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
Slaythe wrote:So what happened to Toppo needing time to charge hakai ?

What happened to 17 trying to attack Toppo's aura from all angles + a continuous stream to see nothing can reach it yet decides to go with rocks ?

What happened to Frieza being totally fine and still mocking Toppo ?

It's obvious they wrote all those episodes at the same time and none of the writers got in touch so we have literally no consistency going on.

"Vegeta used up all his power", well check again he's back up no problem next week ....

Jesus christ it's all so poor.
Crazy idea here. How about you wait to see how he recovers next episode before you start throwing a temper tantrum like a child?

It’s not impossible for someone to give him energy since you know, there’s somebody on his team with an infinite amount of it?
Giving criticism is not "throwing a temper tantrum like a child". That's ridiculous and hostile for no reason besides him disliking something you like.
Freaking out about an episode he hasn’t seen yet IS childish. He wasn’t giving criticism. Clearly he was complaining in his last statement.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 pm

The only bad things about this episode were Frieza just getting up like nothing happened and 17 and everyone else thinking rocks would work, but that's nothing compared to the good elements this episode had, so I loved it even more than last weeks. Everything about Vegeta was cool, including his conversations with Toppo while they were fighting.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:That was awful. One of the weakest episodes in the series. So many bad decisions I can't even count.

Why is Toppo spamming Hakai spheres even though it supposedly takes a while to charge them? And why is he using them to blow up some rubble when his normal attacks should do that just fine? Why did #17 think that trapping Toppo under some rubble was an effective strategy when even the weakest fighters in the tournament could blow up the arena? I appreciate them trying to make #17 out to be some kind of tactician but that was a dumb strategy. And yet again with the rocks, if base Freeza (somehow) managed to trap Toppo, why did he waste his time throwing rocks and blasting him instead of just throwing him out of the arena like he did on Namek with Goku? Why is Jiren calling Goku and Vegeta "impudent bastards"? I want to say it feels out-of-character, after the way he keeps praising them both, but Jiren is just such a piece of boring cardboard that I can't even make that assertion. They claim that splitting up Goku and Vegeta is bad because then U11 would have the upperhand... how, exactly? If they split up Goku and Vegeta, then #17 and Freeza will fight Jiren alongside with Goku. U7 has the numerical advantage, how would splitting the fighters up be to THEIR detriment and not to U11's?

Hakai was just wasted completely. I won't dwell on the fact that any character touching Toppo should be destroyed (due to his Hakai aura), because Toppo obviously doesn't want to be DQ'd so he probably "turns it off" when attacking physically or when he's being attacked, but the fact that the Hakai balls can be destroyed by punches and Ki attacks is just stupid. Why bother going through the trouble of introducing this different kind of energy if it's no different from everything else? This problem already applied to last episode with Freeza surviving the Hakai sphere but it just gets amped up to absurdity in this one. "I'll give you an attack too powerful to destroy" is up there with "I'm too fast for your Time-Skip now" and "My power surpasses my own understanding." I shouldn't have to explain why Vegeta getting a power boost thinking of his family and friends is a bad thing. It was bad when he first transformed, it's bad now. Dragon Ball doesn't do power-ups like that and, when it does, they come from rage and/or amount to nothing.

The decision to use his self-destruction move was stupid. He did it against Boo because he was losing and, even if he was stronger, he'd have to blow him up so he wouldn't be able to regenerate. Here, he was winning and all he had to do was throw Toppo out of the arena. Why sacrifice your Ki and health over a fight that you had the upper-hand in? And the scene itself was terrible. You don't defeat a major antagonist with a rehash of a previous moment. That's not memorable, that's new, that's not exciting. That's stupidly trying to piggyback on the old series' name and status without actually having the balls to go through and kill the character off like Z did. Let's throw a bit of character regression by switching Goku's name in his speech to Cabba's. Furthermore, the excuse they used was just incredibly stupid. He survived because he's stronger now than he was back in the Boo arc? Uh... his fucking attack is stronger now, too! Or are they trying to imply that Vegeta just eliminated Toppo with an attack that couldn't even kill Majin Boo? And, of course, Toppo amounted to nothing after his display last episode. You thought he was going to be defeated by some strategy after they stressed how he must have a weakness in his perfect defense and he needs to charge his attacks. But nope, he just gets overpowered.

The stamina thing is getting out of hand. If Goku wasn't enough, Freeza is back up this episode after getting absolutely destroyed in the last one (and his presence didn't serve any purpose, either. He's out of sight after his attack and isn't even present in the NEP). Vegeta, too, used all of his power, only to get back to full power next episode. I also think this needs to be stated, the episode was filled with an excessive amount of padding. 2 minutes at the start showing us the end of the previous episode plus 2 minutes of a flashback of Majin Vegeta's sacrifice. What's the point?

There were some things I appreciated, but they were plagued with problems also. I liked #17 being treated as a tactician as I said, but I've already highlighted the problems in his strategy. I like Jiren belittling Toppo, because I feel that one who holds justice at such a high level would have no respect for someone like Toppo who chose to cast it aside, but without the knowledge we have on his character from the manga, it feels contradictory with the way he's been portrayed so far and even out-of-character (as well as his little smirk at the end). I did like him one-shotting Goku though, since that's what he should be capable of doing and what he should have done all along. Thematically, I like the idea of Vegeta, who takes a more selfless pride on who he is and who he's surrounded by, defeating someone who chose to cast away his ideals for the sake of power, but, again, the way it was executed was awful.

I don't usually rant like this, but this was beyond terrible, it even surpasses episode 12. I didn't think the ToP could be this bad before, but it just keeps proving me wrong. I fear for the finale.
I think Dragonball just isn't for you anymore.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:While the previous episode was better overall, this episode was still good and pretty interesting in most aspects.

I'm actually happy to see Freeza back in the mix and bailing out #17. If Namek has taught me anything, is that guy is one tough motherfucker who doesn't when to back down.

I really enjoyed seeing how Toppo's mentality shifted so drastically with his casting aside everything in bid to eliminate Vegeta and ensure that Universe 11 win. I loved it even more when the distinction was made with Vegeta becoming more powerful and not casting anything aside like Toppo did.

I'm so happy that Vegeta got his first major in Dragon Ball in God knows how long (It may even be his first ever). More than anything, i'm happy his initial skirmishes with Toppo actually had some kind of payoff in the dn. It's a shame they had to sacrifice the mystique of Hakaishin Toppo for it, but, hey, the trade-off was worth it in the end.

I love how they are playing the whole "Vegeta is out energy" card, when we know that he'll recover in the next minute. Hell, they show it in the NEP.

Jiren has to be the most anti-social antagonist Dragon Ball yet. Him throwing shades at Toppo, while praising Vegeta, and then roundhouse kicking Goku while he was in mid sentence of calling out Jiren for insulting Toppo cracked me the fuck up.
Agreed. Though man last week’s episode was so good, therefore this felt a bit underwhelming and not as well executed, but glad what happened narratively for Vegeta.