Super Episode 127 (11 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Super Episode 127 (11 February 2018)

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:11 pm

That evil doer will be a villain one day.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:12 pm

WittyUsername wrote:This episode was an improvement over last week. It wasn’t my favorite episode of this tournament (that probably goes to episode 118), but there was nothing that particularly bothered me about it, outside of the pointless commentary from the Zen-Ohs at the very beginning. While I’m not sure a tragic backstory (especially a very generic one) was really what I was looking for with Jiren, I suppose it’s better than nothing. Also, 17 sacrificing himself works pretty well from an emotional standpoint, especially given that he’s the one fighter from team U7 who isn’t in the epilogue to the manga.

On another note, it looks like we might be hearing a new actress for Bulma next week.
No we won't. They'll just use old lines.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 pm

My god..I'm still speechless...Episode 127 is now my all time favorite episode in all of Super....This episode had it all and hit on all cylinders....My gosh I'm still hyped off my balls. I still need more time to collect my thoughts and do a proper write up going into more detail etc.

But for now, simply put, I can't wait for Vegeta's elimination - and the awakening of Goku's UI perfect transformation. It seems like the episodes will keep getting better and better as we hit the finale. Thank you Toriyama and Toei. I knew they were going to hit it out of the ball park. Let's go Son Goku !!!!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:14 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Artorias wrote: On the other hand, Jiren's backstory could've not have been more generic, contrived, and poorly executed. We wait ALL this time...and THAT'S what they give us? You couldn't get more cliched if you tried. Ffs man. Just terrible. And what's even worse is that some people are somehow IMPRESSED with that?! Forgive me for being a little hostile, but have you ever seen another piece of fiction in your life? Seriously. Because that is the only type of person I can imagine that was truly interested in that lackluster excuse for a backstory even a little bit.
To be perfectly honest, I agree his backstory was really cliché. As much as I analyzed it, I didn't really feel much for it because I've seen things like that before many times.
Yea, it is the go-to archetypical backstory for the tragic hero/villain that we've seen literally THOUSANDS of times. But at least most of those put some sort of interesting spin on it. This was just a barebones stock backstory with nothing to it. They didn't even bother to SHOW the "evil-doer" that killed his parents, or hell, they didn't even show his family for that matter.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Say what you want about the originally of Jiren's backstory, but he now has more going for him than most of the new characters introduced in Super.
Feels over Reals.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 pm

So, his back story is a combo of what? It's blatantly part batman. I'm assuming the backstory of his friends and mentors dieing is a reference to something about the monkey king or some other oriental story. Wasn't this the same story as that anime about the two gods who fights and try to get the sword. The one chose not to rule and allowed his arch enemy to take it while him and friends tried to retake it afterwords... It seems it's more than batman. Is it Hercules or something greek or biblical or maybe something older like sumerian?!
Last edited by Arugela on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Goku and Vegeta are demi God's. Get over it
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 pm

9/10 episode
Android 17 mvp, No matter what will happen in next 3 eps.
R.i.p dude
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Really great episode. Tons of stand out moments and some very engaging action scenes. Have we ever gotten a 3 v 1 before?

Jiren's backstory, while generic, does a good job at explaining why he is the way he is. 17's lines towards Jiren that follow the backstory were great. 17 truly is the MVP and one of my favourite characters in this arc. Did not expect him to die at all. Really caught me off guard.

I kinda find it hilarious that Freeza keeps coming back only to be more pissed off and beat up than the last time. He did mention that he doesn't care about the rules anymore so we'll see where that goes.

Definitely the best episode since 123. 4 more episodes left. Let's see if they can keep this momentum going.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 pm

That was a half decent episode, I enjoyed it.

I don't particularly care for the stamina thing, it doesn't bother me personally because it ties into the idea of characters continually pushing past what they would normally be capable of doing in order to keep fighting. I will say though, that I think that they just didn't need to have the final explosion episode, it was completely unnecessary.

The first half dragged a little and was a little weak in terms of character interactions, but the action was fairly well storyboarded and the animation was at least serviceable, making the fight in the first half at least somewhat engaging.

The second half was a massive pick-up in terms of everything really. The opening fight was far better structured as it actually had a key idea behind it, and the storyboarding, again continued to be fantastic. Even though I had hoped for more from Freeza, I have to say him losing his shit and getting decked will never stop not being entertaining. Despite me enjoying all of it up until this point, 17 was easily the saving grace of this episode, his trash talking and character interactions throughout the episode were fantastic and his suicide at the end of the episode was handled extremely well.

As for Jirens backstory, its something, doesn't necessarily mean its good, but I liked how it was presented(even though I thought how it was brought up was a little artificial). TBH, Jirens probably been the best his been all series in this episode, his motivation and talks of strength, though generic, is at least better than him being a silent stoic asshole.

Overall, a decent episode, with an engaging first half and a really entertaining second. Hopefully they can carry the momentum into next episode, though judging by how badly 126 failed to carry the momentum from 125, I'm not getting my hopes up.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 pm

RedHeat wrote:Say what you want about the originally of Jiren's backstory, but he now has more going for him than most of the new characters introduced in Super.
Yep. Even if most people find it very standard and simple, he does have a background now and it answers all the questions about Jiren.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 pm

It was ok. 17's sacrifice was a shock. Jiren's backstory being told by someone who isn't Jiren instead of Jiren himself flashing back hurt it in the show don't tell way. All that happened is I understand Jiren more, but I still don't like him which is fair enough. I feel worse for 17's wife and three kids.

I feel like there's not enough writer communication going on in regards to Vegeta's stamina.

I'm now leery of next week's episode where I was formerly looking forward to it. The Weekly Jump preview teased my ship where the next episode preview teased not my ship so my expectations are much lower now.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Bullza wrote:That evil doer will be a villain one day.
Maybe it was Zamasu lol

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:My god..I'm still speechless...Episode 127 is now my all time favorite episode in all of Super....This episode had it all and hit on all cylinders....My gosh I'm still hyped off my balls. I still need more time to collect my thoughts and do a proper write up going into more detail etc.

But for now, simply put, I can't wait for Vegeta's elimination - and the awakening of Goku's UI perfect transformation. It seems like the episodes will keep getting better and better as we hit the finale. Thank you Toriyama and Toei. I knew they were going to hit it out of the ball park. Let's go Son Goku !!!!
1)I’m getting really tired of seeing every last one of your posts being anti Vegeta posts. Thank goodness we have ignore buttons on here.

2) it amazes me that an episode that completely nerfs Jirens strength just for the sake of plot happens to be your favorite episode so far. It’s a testimate to how your biased personality gives you such a flawed perspective of the series.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:17 sure did go out with a bang!

[spoiler]Jokes aside, 17 did pretty damn great this arc and I'm glad he lasted as long as he did.Neat to see Jiren's backstory but I still don't care much for him. Also gonna make a guess that the evil doer Jiren couldn't beat comes back in the next series. Also Freeza sure was angry this episode like I don't even get why he was so mad at Jiren. Like he seemed pretty chill after Toppo beat him and yet was absolutely furious at Jiren. Dunno just stuck out to me as a bit odd.[/spoiler]
This episode turned me into a fan of 17.

This episode (127) was so amazing. It had everything. Emotion. Excitement. Suspense etc

We got Jiren backstory.

More showings of Goku's superior fight intelligence and brilliant strategic mind and martial arts mastery...

And yet despite Goku's startegic efforts, the unstoppable Jiren still overwhelmed their efforts....

They did a great job of building Jiren up to an even greater more terrifying threat then God of destruction Toppo

The pacing was flawless with a smooth flow to everything

I also loved how instead of the build up coming first and then the fight....this episode put a twist on it...the big fight with great fight choreography and epic music almost came instantly into the episode, then we got all the build up, dialogue, backstory etc

And then everything culminated into the last act where andriod 17 sacrificed himself to save Goku and give universe 7 a fighting chance to survive against this monster of strength Jiren. The greatest protagonist the legendary Son Goku has ever come across. But Goku has a habit of over coming the odds.

Man, the ending legit brought a tear to my eye lol.

Android 18 crying for her brothers sacrifice

Android 17 despite knowing his death was imminent showing no fear and standing tall with pride for his universe and Goku

When 17 said, "to sacrifice makes me more human and I like that"

That was touching.

Flawless episode. This is what Vegeta's elimination should've been like in episode 126...and UI Goku vs Jiren should've started this episode so we could have more episodes of UI perfect Goku vs Jiren

Anyway, I'm so pumped for episodes 129 and 130. Thank you Toriyama and Toei.

17's scarficie wont go in vain. It the end its what will have allowed Goku to transform into perfect UI and get avengence on Jiren
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Chuquita wrote:It was ok. 17's sacrifice was a shock. Jiren's backstory being told by someone who isn't Jiren instead of Jiren himself flashing back hurt it in the show don't tell way. All that happened is I understand Jiren more, but I still don't like him which is fair enough. I feel worse for 17's wife and three kids.

I feel like there's not enough writer communication going on in regards to Vegeta's stamina.

I'm now leery of next week's episode where I was formerly looking forward to it. The Weekly Jump preview teased my ship where the next episode preview teased not my ship so my expectations are much lower now.
Or they are simply revealing the reason why bulma left yamcha.... Although I still don't know why yamchan has been turned into one of the worst characters in the show. He's one of the oldest. He deserves some respect.

AND I THEORIZE THAT ANDROID 17 WILL POP OUT OF NOWHERE FROM A SPECIAL ABILITY AT THE LAST MOMENT AND NOT BE DEAD AND HELP FIGHT JIREN LEAVING EVERYONE IN SHOCK!! :crazy: This is our last hope. We should take it!! :D
Last edited by Arugela on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My fan art:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Copied and pasted from the other thread:

The problem with Jiren's backstory isn't that it's generic (it is, btw). The issue here is when you realize what show you are watching: Dragon Ball. You know, the series where a baby is sent to Earth, clonks his head, and becomes a martial artist, training with multiple masters until he learns about his background as a member of an extinct warrior race, and eventually fulfills a prophecy from their culture, becoming a legendary warrior that is said to be virtually indestructable. The series where the prince of said race has all his people slaughtered by a space dictator, is held in bondage, and trains most of his life to become the strongest in the universe. The series where a boy from the future has all his loved ones killed, and is taken in by a master to train to become strong enough to protect the remaining individuals in his planet (wait, this sounds familiar).

Case in point, training has always been a major theme in this franchise. We understand that saiyans are a unique race that are genetically built to fight. Hence, they are unusually strong. So then, why is it that Jiren, a seemingly generic alien, is able to train, but unlike everyone else, can surpass even the gods and be unaffected by time itself (I still can't get over that)? Because he really, really likes being strong? The only thing more unbearable than this is the "u weak, i strong" dialogue they're going to have Jiren repeatedly spewing now, since Toei loves turning their characters into caricatures (JUSTICE FLASH!!!).

Oh, and he lost trust in people, so... he's a part of the Pride Troopers because... strength? Strength is justice? What?

Jiren should have been the survivor of a destroyed universe that had such a high level, it was considered a threat. Jiren should be someone who was born with such an unfathomable power, he trained his whole life to suppress it to not cause damage to the environments and people around him (perfect contrast to Goku). Jiren should be someone with a true sense of justice and little arrogance, as shown in one of the chapters in the manga, not this "strength is justice" bullshit, which just makes him come off as a villain or lame anti-hero.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 pm

17! NOOOOO! :cry:

Jiren's past is pretty sad too.

By the way, I saw Bulma in the NEP and it's possible that Toei will use Hiromi's unused lines.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Bullza wrote:That evil doer will be a villain one day.
Maybe it was Zamasu lol
I seriously thought for a SPLIT SECOND that it was Black. The eyes looked exactly like his did back when he was first introduced, and that whole scene was extremely reminiscent of when he killed Bulma. Obviously when you think about it for 5 seconds that's a dumb idea, but there was a brief moment where it crossed my mind.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Jiren should have been the survivor of a destroyed universe that had such a high level, it was considered a threat. Jiren should be someone who was born with such an unfathomable power, he trained his whole life to suppress it to not cause damage to the environments and people around him (perfect contrast to Goku). Jiren should be someone with a true sense of justice and little arrogance, as shown in one of the chapters in the manga, not this "strength is justice" bullshit, which just makes him come off as a villain or lame anti-hero.
But if they did that he would be galacticus and we would find out destroying him destroys all of their universes too. Then he's the most powerful mortal and he has super plot armor. Not just regular teary I don't want to hurt you normal plot armor. Galaxy sized plot armor.
My fan art: