Super Episode 127 (11 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 127 (11 February 2018)

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:15 am

That was intense.

17 went out like a boss. Looks like 18 may have a new wish to make (which may put her in conflict with Vegeta).

Jiren has a neat backstory, I hope we see his enemy in the future.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 am

Saturnine wrote: As for base Vegeta hanging in against Jiren, that's sooo fucking Toei... They've been doing this sort of shit since forever. I really hate it, though at least here we have the justification of not being allowed to kill other competitors, so at least we can suspend our disbelief and think Jiren is suppressing himself.
Thats Toriyama's outline/transcript

Where does this misconception that Toriyama isnt involved in the anime come from?

And even when Toei wants to change something they always ask for Toriyama's approval. Everything you see was either from Toriyama's transcripts or approved by Toriyama
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 am

Onibaku wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:Jiren's backstory never had the murderer of his family and friends stated to be defeated. Future arc should Super return? That would be great.
Jiren's backstory was just there. I don't think the writers will base anything off that. It's just that they were reminded to add something to Jiren knowing how bland he's been so far.

Anyway, the episode was good and all but Vegeta's constant shit talking is getting into my nerves too much. I was rooting for Jiren the whole time he was fighting Vegeta. Little piece of shit should know his place for once for fucks sake.

And wow, I didnt expect the best character to get killed off... I just hope he'll get revived by the SDBs.
Its going to be so satisfying when Vegeta finally gets eliminated next week

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Onibaku wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:Jiren's backstory never had the murderer of his family and friends stated to be defeated. Future arc should Super return? That would be great.
Jiren's backstory was just there. I don't think the writers will base anything off that. It's just that they were reminded to add something to Jiren knowing how bland he's been so far.

Anyway, the episode was good and all but Vegeta's constant shit talking is getting into my nerves too much. I was rooting for Jiren the whole time he was fighting Vegeta. Little piece of shit should know his place for once for fucks sake.

And wow, I didnt expect the best character to get killed off... I just hope he'll get revived by the SDBs.
Right? Its gonna be such a sight

DiegoBrando

Post by DiegoBrando » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Saturnine wrote: As for base Vegeta hanging in against Jiren, that's sooo fucking Toei... They've been doing this sort of shit since forever. I really hate it, though at least here we have the justification of not being allowed to kill other competitors, so at least we can suspend our disbelief and think Jiren is suppressing himself.

Where does this monconception that Toriyama isnt involved in the anime come from?

And even when Toei wants to change something they always ask for Toriyama's approval. Everything you see was either from Toriyama's transcripts or approved by Toriyama
You're talking as if Toriyamas involvement and approval is a positive...

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:23 am

I've been watching reaction videos to episode 127, and so many people were crying when 17 sacrificed himself or were legit moved/touched by it

Its easy to be caught up in your own little bubble, but that scene seemed to have been a very impactful touching emotional scene for a lot of people

So many people are hyped for UI perfect Goku vs Jiren 1 v 1 too. Thats what everyone has been waiting for and wants. Its now coming!!!

Here was one of the reaction vids. Its actually really good

She was legit crying

https://youtu.be/CYwxL0P9_C0

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:23 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: - Can 17 sense his ki or is he just reacting to the visual effects of the transformation?
l
Jiren has normal ki, not god ki. Like Golden Freeza. It is just very big.

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am

There was absolutely no point to Jiren "powering up". If you had watched this episode, minus the power-up scene, you would have had no idea that he was supposed to be stronger.

Goku/Vegeta performed identically well against him as they did before, and 17 -- who is undeniably blue+ level for some god forsaken reason -- was able to dodge him, damage him, and resist his attacks.

The thing about Super that sucks, is that nothing means anything. Every second of each episode is written as if nothing has happened before it. I guess when you have a show you're writing for 8 year olds, you figure thought and effort aren't necessary elements to your process, but it still sucks.

And before the backstory flashback, my two main questions about Jiren were

1. How did he get so strong?
2. What's his wish?

One 2-minute flashback backstory later... and I still have no clue what the answer to either of those is. Well done, Toei.

If not for 17's sacrifice this would have been a generically bad, forgettable episode.
Planet Namek Bred

Elvis143BRA

Post by Elvis143BRA » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am

Man, this is the best community to discuss DBS. r/dbz is circlejerk intent on hiding any negative opinions towards DBS, ToP and the writing. This episode was good, but the sour taste from the episode before it is still in my mouth. I couldn't really enjoy it aside from laughing at the ridiculous moments of:

1. Vegeta getting angry and forgeting he's supposed to be out of stamina and going SSB AGAIN,
2. and 17's ki aura (he's not supposed to have ki, that's why in Z he never had an aura),
3. 17's unexplained SSB power level,
4. 17's plot armor green barrier,
5. Frieza showing up just to get rekked,
6. and Frieza all of a sudden hating Jiren more than he hates Goku (what did Jiren do to him????????).

And did they seriously wait until the end to provide the most cliche of all backgrounds they could have given to Jiren? The theory about him have being a GoD from a previously deleted universe was wayyyyyyyyyyyy better.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 am

Could care less for Jiren's backstory or his wish. I didnt really need to see that.

The episode was heavy action packed and was pretty good with that. I enjoy seeing Jiren stomp them, was fun.

About 17 blowing himself up, was pretty cool.

So seems NEP, Vegeta gets to be a punching bag for like half an episode so Goku can recover some stamina then Goku goes ssjblue once Vegeta is out, fights Jiren and I assume Jiren hits him hard enough that UI gets activated.

Xehanort

Post by Xehanort » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 am

I literally cannot believe what I just saw...this episode single-handedly almost ruined the entire arc for me.

Say what you want about Jiren, that he's boring, unninsteresting, has no personality (which is horseshit, but fine) and was just an overpowered baddy, but I legitimely thought they did a great job at making us curious to know just what the hell is up with this guy. Everything from his emotional detachment, to unbelievable power, and the fact they kept this mystery around him left me very interested and engaged throughout...and now they finally revealed his backstory...and this is the best they could come up with? Seriously, after so much buildup this is all you got?! This is the most generic, cliche'd, boring and unninsteresting thing they could've possibly done!

I mean I believe there's some people who are okay with this, mostly the same people who thought he was boring and unninsteresting from the get-go, and that's fair I guess but the fact is that the show seemed to be made entirely around hyping this guy up to be the ultimate "villain" and keeping his entire identiy under wraps was intentional to keep us guessing and interested. I seriously believe they did this amazingly well, and then they delivered with that load of crap. I'm really fucking dissapointed!

As for the rest of the episode, I thought it was pretty bad. Vegeta recovering after last episode was complete bullshit, and 17 being able to handle himself so well against Jiren made absolutely no sense. Fight choreography was meh but I thought the animation was decent enough for me to let that slide. I really liked 17's sendoff, after such a great performance in the tournament it was legitimely touching to see him go like that. But it was completely ruined after the single most rushed and poorly thoughtout backstory in the history of anime.

I really cannot believe what I just saw :cry:
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 am

Onibaku wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Onibaku wrote: Jiren's backstory was just there. I don't think the writers will base anything off that. It's just that they were reminded to add something to Jiren knowing how bland he's been so far.

Right? Its gonna be such a sight
I've been waiting for it. Vegeta long over stayed his worth and welcome. It was like enough is enough lol. Now its on to UI perfect Goku vs Jiren 1 v 1 baby. So pumped and cant wait. Have you read the spoilers for episode 128 and 129? Gonna be so epic. 128 hints at some awesome development for Goku before transforming in episode 129 (or maybe it happens end of 128)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am

Xehanort wrote:I literally cannot believe what I just saw...this episode single-handedly almost ruined the entire arc for me.

Say what you want about Jiren, that he's boring, unninsteresting, has no personality (which is horseshit, but fine) and was just an overpowered baddy, but I legitimely thought they did a great job at making us curious to know just what the hell is up with this guy. Everything from his emotional detachment, to unbelievable power, and the fact they kept this mystery around him left me very interested and engaged throughout...and now they finally revealed his backstory...and this is the best they could come up with? Seriously, after so much buildup this is all you got?! This is the most generic, cliche'd, boring and unninsteresting thing they could've possibly done!

I mean I believe there's some people who are okay with this, mostly the same people who thought he was boring and unninsteresting from the get-go, and that's fair I guess but the fact is that the show seemed to be made entirely around hyping this guy up to be the ultimate "villain" and keeping his entire identiy under wraps was intentional to keep us guessing and interested. I seriously believe they did this amazingly well, and then they delivered with that load of crap. I'm really fucking dissapointed!

As for the rest of the episode, I thought it was pretty bad. Vegeta recovering after last episode was complete bullshit, and 17 being able to handle himself so well against Jiren made absolutely no sense. Fight choreography was meh but I thought the animation was decent enough for me to let that slide. I really liked 17's sendoff, after such a great performance in the tournament it was legitimely touching to see him go like that. But it was completely ruined after the single most rushed and poorly thoughtout backstory in the history of anime.

I really cannot believe what I just saw :cry:
What build-up?

I can safetly say that the anime version of Jiren has had no set-up to any mystery relating to his character whatso-ever, we the audience, and the characters, have had no reason to want to learn anything about Jiren.

So again I ask, what build-up? Also, how can they be any build-up to a reveal, if you haven't even set up the fact their is going to be a reveal?

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am

picc wrote:

Goku/Vegeta performed identically well against him as they did before
Goku def held his own better. He avoided the same punch that blew Vegeta out of his form.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 am

Elvis143BRA wrote:Man, this is the best community to discuss DBS. r/dbz is circlejerk intent on hiding any negative opinions towards DBS, ToP and the writing..
From what I've been seeing, talking in general, people with positive opinions seem to get attacked much more often

The people who have the negative opinions always say stuff like "only kids like Super. Its for people who only like flashy things. Youre ignorant if you liked this episode or Super" etc etc

Thats some down right horrible stuff

Only one side seems to be displaying more of this intolerant, harmful attitude. This seems to be the case across the internet. I guess its internet culture now a days. I myself would rather focus on positivity then negativity.
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 am

OKay, this stamina shit is getting a bit bullshit, Vegeta. Goku at least had to wait one minute back in the Buu Saga!

Overall, a very entertaining episode, though the fight got a bit hard to make out sometimes with how bright and prevalent the auras are. 17's interactions are gold, as they have always been for this arc, with his casual dismissal of Jiren's backstory and calling him out for using his team. I'll never get over 17 basically saying to a God "I'm going to use the all-powerful wishing balls to get a boat, duh!". I was surprised at Jiren's backstory, mostly for him having a backstory at all. It was simple, but fitting and yes rather cliche; but using a cliche isn't really a bad thing in of itself. It gave good context to his actions and attitude towards the rest of the Pride Troopers. I also enjoy 17 getting under his skin through words and damaging the suit. You never fuck with a Super Hero's spandex.

So, his vague wish is to "erase the past"? Hmmm, considering the talk of strength being the only thing Jiren had to depend on and losing his attachments and trust, maybe by this he means erasing the last few attachments he has; the foundation of his motivations. Then all that will be left is his strength.

17 did a damn good job this arc and goes down like a boss. I'm starting to think that Vegeta's Final Explosion in the last episode was to lure the viewers into a false sense of security about 17's sacrifice.

Frieza... Keep trying buddy, we know they're keeping you in for a reason. It was fun to watch you get broly'd "What is a Hero to a tyra-"
Artorias wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Bullza wrote:That evil doer will be a villain one day.
Maybe it was Zamasu lol
I seriously thought for a SPLIT SECOND that it was Black. The eyes looked exactly like his did back when he was first introduced, and that whole scene was extremely reminiscent of when he killed Bulma. Obviously when you think about it for 5 seconds that's a dumb idea, but there was a brief moment where it crossed my mind.
I thought for a second that they were reusing the animation from that episode, but with the fire part being purple
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Xehanort

Post by Xehanort » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 am

JazzMazz wrote:What build-up?

I can safetly say that the anime version of Jiren has had no set-up to any mystery relating to his character whatso-ever, we the audience, and the characters, have had no reason to want to learn anything about Jiren.

So again I ask, what build-up? Also, how can they be any build-up to a reveal, if you haven't even set up the fact their is going to be a reveal?
The buildup began after Goku's fight with Toppo, where he stated there was someone even stronger than him which left Goku and the viewers interested. The he appeared in the World of Void, and the sheer energy left Goku and Vegeta (the two most powerfull warriors in all universes) shocked. Then Goku went to say hello to Jiren, and he told him to piss off in the most intimidating of ways. Then they teased at a fight between him and Goku everyone in awhile during the tournament. Then we see Jiren eliminating Maji Kayo (is that his name?) with just the updraft of his fist! Which left Goku visibly terrified. Then 109-110 happened, while Belmod and U11 Supreme Kai were describing him as such a monster, then he eliminated Hit (who was arguably stronger than Vegeta at that point) with relative ease and the following events after that...

I mean you can say that did not leave you interested, and that's fine, but don't tell me there was no build up to his character.
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:43 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:

Where does this monconception that Toriyama isnt involved in the anime come from?

Toriyama doesn't do that. In his manga, you're twice as weak as your foe, you are immediately defeated. He would never write base Vegeta hanging in there against Jiren.
DiegoBrando wrote: You're talking as if Toriyamas involvement and approval is a positive...
It is. If Toriyama's directly involved, power levels at least matter. If he's not, we get THIS. And stuff like Cooler coming back from Hell with his body intact, as he did in GT. Lol.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote: Only one side seems to have this intolerant, harmful attitude, and it isnt the people who like Super. This is across the internet. I guess its internet culture now a days. I myself would rather focus on positivity then negativity
Hey, I can be a pretty intolerant, spiteful bastard when someone disses my cartoons
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 am

What if the villain was Belmoud? What if Jiren is to Belmoud what goku is to Beerus? Maybe Belmoud had a vision about Jirens strength and has a prophecy fish like beerus? So this fish tells him about this tournament and that he'd need a strong muhfucka to fight. So he's flying thrpugh the universe doing clown god shit see's a lil bobble head homie and is all like "damn, this kid's got super mad potential and could save my ass in that shit that's going down in a few years."

So He has khai go to the future to check him out and he's unimpressive to say the least because he's got power but he's a lil' gohan. So he's like i'mma kill lil' homies parents and take the gohan out of the equation. Probably had marcarita fuck with his mind or something "cuz Angel's".

So lil homie Jiren starts training and working out the bitch in him with big poppa flashback mentor, but belmoud thinks he's still to soft and kills his mentor and punks his friends so Jiren flips his fuck it switch, jam's out to U11's Eminem and pre 00's U11 nu Metal, then bench pressing planet's while drinking protein shakes spiked with testosterone enhancers and steroids effectively becoming 100% MAN!.

So check this. Beerus while he's chilling on his Cat god shit he has a premonitions as well about goku because yamoshi. Yamoshi's a wandering spirit so he could he could have wised up on Belmoud and was like "nah fam, shit ain't going down like that cuz". So on some Wandering Lingering Will, Ghost god shit holler's at Beerus and wises him up on Goku. Thus training him to eventually face Jiren?