Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Post by Miracles » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 am

The episode was pretty much building on why Jiren might get defeated. He doesn't trust anybody and since everyone is trusting Goku, this might show Jiren the "true path." Sigh, I hope Toriyama got something else up his sleeve.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 am

sintzu wrote:A great episode and great send off for Vegeta. Looking at him from when he came to earth up till now, I can finally say his character came full circle.
But this is exactly how he was at the end of the Buu Saga before Super regressed his character. Sure it's come full circle, but this is like a 2nd time around the merrygoround? As a Vegeta fan I love seeing him grow, I just wish it was more meaningful and it wasn't retreading old steps.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 am

It's eps like this that prove Vegeta's character has no real place to go. Goku is now likely ahead of him permanently and seeing Vegeta get Ultra Instinct too eventually would be lame. Vegeta essentially repeats the same dialogue and motivations in every single episode and his arrogance is back in full force. Vegeta should have been eliminated by Jiren when he knocked him out 5 eps ago.

The TOP is way too Goku/Vegeta centered to the point where aside from some nice moments with 17 and arguably Freeza, it felt like everyone else barely did much.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:24 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Zagacious wrote:
You do realize you are the only one acting like this ? You are acting exactly like the behavior you're describing. You haven't said very many actual arguments you're just saying people are wrong and you are right. When presented with actual arguments the best you can come up with is everybody loves it except this forum. You've posted the most of anyone here and contributed the least.
Yeah no. I'm not the one acting like this

I actually backed up my arguments telling you WHY Goku actually did awaken Omen

You are the one who completely left out or ignored a crucial part of Goku recalling everyone counting on him

You didmt have to like it. Thats not any issue. Its you leaving out elements of that scene and misinterpreting it

Even Asura layed out a great post telling you that your opinion on Goku getting Omen wasnt well informed

You simply need to relax
No, you really are the only one acting like this in this thread constantly attacking anyone for having a different view and then throwing ad hominem their way
Can you please provide examples of me attacking? Who have I attacked?

And if anyone did feel I did, I apologise.

I've agreed with people who didnt like the episode. So explain that

I havev a feeling you arent actualy reading my posts in this thread

Also go back and reread my responses because I said many times that you have a right to hate all you want

My issue with you and the Jiren AV were your attitudes. I already layed out that people can like and hate anything they want

Just understand that there are differing opinions and negative opinions can be challenged in the same way positive ones are

I'm pretty sure it was you two who first quoted me.

You two are pretty much proving my point. I said cetain people like to call things garbage but cant handle when their negatve opinions are challenged.. just because I'm trying to tell you to be accepting of other view points you instantly claim "I'm attacking you"...

You were calling this episode garbage just because your favorite character (Vegeta) was eliminated. That says it all. I dont need to say anymore

This is clearly going no where. You are free to what ever opinion you want to have. As if i couldnt have said it more so you finally understand. I've said it again and again. Its just your opinion. Its not a fact that Super or this episode was garbage. If you want to continue then PM me. I'm moving on from this

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:24 am

precita wrote:It's eps like this that prove Vegeta's character has no real place to go. Goku is now likely ahead of him permanently and seeing Vegeta get Ultra Instinct too eventually would be lame. Vegeta essentially repeats the same dialogue and motivations in every single episode and his arrogance is back in full force. Vegeta should have been eliminated by Jiren when he knocked him out 5 eps ago.

The TOP is way too Goku/Vegeta centered to the point where aside from some nice moments with 17 and arguably Freeza, it felt like everyone else barely did much.
In every single arc characters like Krillin, Tien, not to mention Roshi, barely did much if anything.

At least in this arc they've got their chance to shine, hell, even their own episodes, so there's no reason to complain at all.

You could've complained if it was established since the beginning of DBS that those minor characters will have a bigger impact on the plot which didn't happen ofc.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:27 am

I liked this episode and how it handled Vegeta's elimination. Jiren beating Goku was tense too and I liked how Ultra Instinct was activated this time. The next episodes will be where the good things happen though, and this one was conservative on the animation side and even had a long flashback for Vegeta.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sunkensheep

Post by sunkensheep » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:02 am

I'm actually surprised that so many of you liked this episode. It had its good moments, but it's something that could have been done in 5 minutes tops instead of dragging for the whole episode. Except for what was already stated in the title (I'm always amazed to see how Toei couldn't care less about spoilers or building suspance) and the last two minutes, nothing happened really. Vegeta's pride and motivation to protect his loved ones had been already stated again and again in the last episodes. If you watch next episode's recap without watching this one you wouldn't miss anything, except for Goku repeating 'Vegeta!' in the first half of the episode to remind us that he's still the protagonist, some redundant comments made by the spectators because they are easier to animate, and a clip show of Vegeta's family moments from the whole show.
It wouldn't bother me much if we had more episodes before the end, but since there are only three left I fear for a rushed ending and I can't help but thinking that this episode's 20 minutes could have been handled better.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Even Asura layed out a great post telling you that your opinion on Goku getting Omen wasnt well informed
Uh... I did?

Also, I want to hear more opinions on this:
Asura wrote:For people who were disappointed in Vegeta's elimination, what would you have done different specifically for this episode? Like, if you can't change any of the events in the previous episodes but could rewrite this entire episode, how would you have Vegeta go out?

I'm curious because I personally don't see what else they really could have done with him in this episode. Obviously given the chance I'd have rewritten every episode after 122 in terms of Vegeta, but unfortunately we've gotta live with that.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:23 am

On repeat viewing, I'm feeling better disposed toward this episode. It's kind of the opposite of the last one, which had good action and animation but bungled the emotional moments ('Spandex Sasuke' and 'He's dead Dave').

Animation was lacklustre this Ep and the showing of Ultra Instinct was a big letdown from before, but the way they handled Vegeta and Goku's resolve moments was incredible. I especially like the way they tied their respective arcs into the themes of Jiren's character. Jiren may never recover from the damage 127 did to him, but this episode proved that a good writer can make that thematic contrast work.

I haven't enjoyed disliking Super as it fell into a nosedive these past few weeks. I'm hoping the direction set by this episode will be enough to pull it back from the brink. Next episode looks amazing, so fingers crossed.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:29 am

Jiren is starting to come off as completely moronic and incompetent at this point. He is literally running out of time until he goes "poof" but he'd much rather torture and mess about with them. Just grab them and throw them out of the ring, for god's sake.

Vegeta was completely and drained, to the point where he couldn't even transform into a regular SSj, yet somehow is able to provide Goku with enough Ki to go SSJB

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:38 am

Well, not a terrible episode in itself, but I didn't really enjoy it. Most because it was so terribly predictable and absolutely nothing we haven't seen before.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:45 am

Asura wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Even Asura layed out a great post telling you that your opinion on Goku getting Omen wasnt well informed
Uh... I did?

Asura wrote:For people who were disappointed in Vegeta's elimination, what would you have done different specifically for this episode? Like, if you can't change any of the events in the previous episodes but could rewrite this entire episode, how would you have Vegeta go out?

I'm curious because I personally don't see what else they really could have done with him in this episode. Obviously given the chance I'd have rewritten every episode after 122 in terms of Vegeta, but unfortunately we've gotta live with that.
I see what you are doing. You just want me to requote your post and give you more props. Don't you. You sly devil haha j/k

But for real, It's exactly what you did.

"I don't know what people's problems with the Ultra Instinct scene are, I thought it was handled quite well with the new music and Goku thinking of everyone counting on him. I mean, he still didn't mention jack shit about his universe, but at least he realizes people are counting on him"

And good post. Basically exactly what I said

If you were truly following the conversation I was having with Jiren AV.

He was saying that that scene was garbage and didn't make any sense.

It wasn't that he didn't like it.

It's how he was leaving out key events (to exaggerate his "points") and how much he was misinterpreting

I layed out the argument, no heres what happened. "Goku recalling everyone counting on him. Fight or flight response. Here's why it actually made a lot of sense etc"

I personally loved that Goku scene and think it will became an iconic scene/moment in Dragon Ball

His response was basically, "nope, you are attacking, you are wrong and can't accept that" ...which was incredibly ironic .

That's why I made the statements I did. They did very well to prove my points with their own actions

You will notice there are more people in this thread who are shitting on the episode. I feel unfairly, but what can you do. It is what it is. Notice how I didn't respond to any of them.

I didn't care. I don't care. People can have any opinion they want

I've even agreed with posts that didn't like the episode.

So clearly the problem was always just Diccolo and Jiren AV and their attitudes(and hostility toward me)

If you go back you will see that it was Diccolo who first started quoting me. He want after me. To turn around and say that I've been the one attacking is just...It's crazy. But its all moot anyway.

Lets get back on topic

Regarding that post Btw, the soft piano that was playing really was amazing. It fit so well and really drove home the emotion of that scene ten fold.
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 am

AvatarReiko wrote:Jiren is starting to come off as completely moronic and incompetent at this point. He is literally running out of time until he goes "poof" but he'd much rather torture and mess about with them. Just grab them and throw them out of the ring, for god's sake.

Vegeta was completely and drained, to the point where he couldn't even transform into a regular SSj, yet somehow is able to provide Goku with enough Ki to go SSJB
Someone told me he just assumed it was genkai energy for some reason and that it provided more of a boost than normal, which is a pretty big leap in logic, but it makes more sense than what we got now I guess.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:57 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:
sintzu wrote:A great episode and great send off for Vegeta. Looking at him from when he came to earth up till now, I can finally say his character came full circle.
But this is exactly how he was at the end of the Buu Saga.
The difference is that we never saw what would be the results of him changing the way he did while fighting Buu as the manga ended and GT didn't do anything with him. From his fight with Beerus in BOG up till him falling out of the ring in the current arc we've seen that it's led to great results as not only has he been able to keep up with Goku but also take down very powerful enemies such as Freeza, Black and Toppo, something he could never do back in Z.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 am

Asura wrote:
Uh... I did?

Also

I can't believe I'm still the only one who mentioned this

No one else thought it was genius how as Goku was being pushed off a literal edge, he was metaphorically being pushed off the edge by Jiren (well past his limits) leading to awakening Omen, which thinking about his loved ones counting on him contributed to as well.

There's an american saying "I'm close to the edge. Don't push me past the edge"

I guess non-native English speakers won't really get that one

It was brilliant imo. What did you think about that?

I'm surprised how this community didn't notice something like that. Super is a lot deeper then it gets credit for and has many of these genius moments

Also the way in which Goku first ever attained Omen was genius. From the interntal struggle within himself to resist being killed by his own spirit bomb allowing him to unlock Instinctual fighting..

Back to episode 128. I also loved how 17's scarficie and his unbelievable quote was apart of Goku's recallings of people he can't let down. Was awesome.

I'm rewatching episode 128..And it's just as amazing

Amazing emotional episode. Don't care what anyone else says

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:No one else thought it was genius how as Goku was being pushed off a literal edge, he was metaphorically being pushed off the edge by Jiren (well past his limits) leading to awakening Omen. It was brilliant imo. What did you think about that ?
Come to think of it you're right and it was amazing when you look at it that way.

These are going to be a hard 2 weeks but serious Goku is always great so it'll be worth the wait.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 am

I really love this review

"Episode 128 was beautiful. The slow, sad defeat of Vegeta who just refused to give up. The steady beatdown of Goku (super well animated too, loved the focus on Goku's footing the whole time), and the final transformation to Ultra Instinct. You could really feel the desperation through the whole episode.

Also I feel like everything clicked about Jiren's character here. They did a great job emphasizing the difference between him and universe 7. He calls 17 a fool for sacrificing himself, he calls Vegeta a fool for still standing, and he calls U7 foolish for putting their hopes on Goku. He doesn't see what they have and what he lacks. He doesn't see that their strength comes from caring for others. In my eyes they convincingly made something special out of Jiren just being an all-powerful asshole by highlighting the contrast between him and Goku in this episode. Excellent stuff."

It's kind of disheartening to see how much overt negative anal nitpicking there is over everything Super over here, when the greater points/touching stuff/genuis little touches are always getting completely glossed over and or just ignored. For some odd reason, it's become all about negativity. Even if you dislike Super, dont you at least want more positivity to counter balance everything and allow for more discord/discussion?

Like, there were so many great things to talk about (like the things the review noted above)...that wouldve truly made for interesting discussion. It's a shame the directions things go instead
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I really love this review

"Episode 128 was beautiful. The slow, sad defeat of Vegeta who just refused to give up. The steady beatdown of Goku (super well animated too, loved the focus on Goku's footing the whole time), and the final transformation to Ultra Instinct. You could really feel the desperation through the whole episode.

Also I feel like everything clicked about Jiren's character here. They did a great job emphasizing the difference between him and universe 7. He calls 17 a fool for sacrificing himself, he calls Vegeta a fool for still standing, and he calls U7 foolish for putting their hopes on Goku. He doesn't see what they have and what he lacks. He doesn't see that their strength comes from caring for others. In my eyes they convincingly made something special out of Jiren just being an all-powerful asshole by highlighting the contrast between him and Goku in this episode. Excellent stuff."
Huh. Where'd you find this?

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I really love this review

Huh. Where'd you find this?
Any reason why?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:45 am

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people give credit to the ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY the fights in this episode had. The animation itself wasn't super impressive or anything, but I thought the bits of actual hand-to-hand combat were pretty well executed and made the fights feel more impactful than they have in recent episodes, despite the lacking direction in this episode. Gave me mad Rocky vibes.