Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Post by Freezerbaby » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Can´t believe that trailer from dragon ball heroes was right all along...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Freezerbaby wrote:Can´t believe that trailer from dragon ball heroes was right all along...
Not really, that showed Goku and Freeza fighting side by side.

Here, Freeza's pretty much defeated and hiding on the sidelines. In fact Goku and Freeza never really teamed up once the entire tournament.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Asura wrote:Every week we hear both Vegeta AND ZenkaiBoosts giving the same speech over and over again. :lol:
At least Vegeta does it one or two times an episode. ZenkaiBoosts does it more than that. He posted 70 times on the last episode thread. I'm not kidding.
Last edited by Torturephile on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:10 pm

precita wrote:
Freezerbaby wrote:Can´t believe that trailer from dragon ball heroes was right all along...
Not really, that showed Goku and Freeza fighting side by side.

Here, Freeza's pretty much defeated and hiding on the sidelines. In fact Goku and Freeza never really teamed up once the entire tournament.
Yes, but It also hinted that golden freeza would be defeated by Jiren in no time, yet I´m still hoping golden freeza teaming up with Mastered UI Goku in some way.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:27 pm

I go to sleep and literally half of the thread is now zenkai boost spamming his opinion down everyone's throats and repeating himself. Dude, you need to chill out, we get you liked the episode but let others have a say without you dominating the thread.

The only way Dragonball could be salvaged at this point is if it ends on a cliffhanger with either Frieza or Jiren winning, otherwise it's like everyone else said: A piss poor rehash of the buu saga in terms of plot points thats rushing to its conclusion, and the buu saga was pretty weak to begin with.

I wouldn't have a problem with Goku winning if it wasn't in the exact same fashion its' been forever, or if they cared to vary it up every now and then. Hell, they hyped up Gohan and Vegeta to have massive power boosts, Vegeta somewhat paid off but Gohan? Pfft, they might as well not have included him.

What's even more annoying is the peanut gallery throwing in "OH YOU DID GOOD", it's so patronizing and its clear the writers are trying to appease those fans of characters who got thrown out, abliet in a shitty way. Vegeta didn't do good, he got thrown out after promising to do everything for his family and Cabba and Goku gets an asspull transformation for just wanting to fight strong guys. Gohan, on the other hand, was hyped to finally have broke through his character flaws but he was the same old hesitant gohan throughout the tournament, zero growth at all.

Honestly it feels like two different shows ever since hte tournament started and before it did, like the writers got all caught up in the action and forgot about plot. I mean this really contradicts what dragon ball is about: If you work hard enough and fight to protect the ones you love you overcome the struggle? Basically the message here is: Hey, doesn't matter if you work hard enough all you need is to want to fight strong guys and have plot armor and you're good. Basically the whole message of dragon ball got thrown out the window for another shoehorned goku glory fest, and Goku didn't even do shit the earn it it just happened, I mean he barely trained before the TOP compared to everyone else, so there's no good reason for him to get this level of a power up over Vegeta, who finally got written back to how he was at the end of the buu saga after being reverted and trained wayyyy harder and longer than goku did in the prep (hyperbolic time chamber yall). It's the biggest appeal, after all, to see hard work rewarded for most of us who watch the show, and its part of why Goku's ssj transformation and Gohan's ssj2 was so great, because we saw them work for it. If DB super had built up UI better I would have been ok with it, and UI is my favorite transformation yet, but it just makes no sense.

Because the show has finally betrayed its own message, I think it's safe to say for me it's jumped the shark.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Torturephile wrote: At least Vegeta does it one or two times an episode. ZenkaiBoosts does it more than that. He posted 70 times on the last episode thread. I'm not kidding.
In 21 pages :shock: wow that's insane.
Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Come on guys, don't be so harsh on ZenkaiBoosts, he just liked the episode and he is very passionate about it, there's nothing wrong with that. Our lives are already full of conflict, many come on this forum to relax and talk about what they enjoy, with people who share the same passion, he doesn't need to be made fun of like that.
Get Fucked, C_unt

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Artorias wrote:I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people give credit to the ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY the fights in this episode had. The animation itself wasn't super impressive or anything, but I thought the bits of actual hand-to-hand combat were pretty well executed and made the fights feel more impactful than they have in recent episodes, despite the lacking direction in this episode. Gave me mad Rocky vibes.
By Super standards, yeah. Still nothing compared to the choreography in Z, though. The Goku vs Cell fight was some of the best choreography in ANY anime fight, period. Super doesn't have anything close to that.

Also for this episode, it bothers me a bit that Goku never thought about Chi-chi and Goten whereas Vegeta thought about Bulma/Trunks/Bulla

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I have a question. What does NEP exactly stand for?
Next episode preview.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Very average episode. Only really served to remove Vegeta from the equation and set up the last couple of episodes.

But oh man that NEP though.... here's where the money is going!

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:10 pm

I enjoyed the episode, granted i enjoyed every ToP episode, with some more than others. I think people are to harsh on these episodes and i think it is because we also need to wait so long in between them. I tend to wait and think with a cool head after watching an episode. Because how i feel about the episode also depends on my mood.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

gofishus wrote:
Artorias wrote:I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people give credit to the ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY the fights in this episode had. The animation itself wasn't super impressive or anything, but I thought the bits of actual hand-to-hand combat were pretty well executed and made the fights feel more impactful than they have in recent episodes, despite the lacking direction in this episode. Gave me mad Rocky vibes.
By Super standards, yeah. Still nothing compared to the choreography in Z, though. The Goku vs Cell fight was some of the best choreography in ANY anime fight, period. Super doesn't have anything close to that.

Also for this episode, it bothers me a bit that Goku never thought about Chi-chi and Goten whereas Vegeta thought about Bulma/Trunks/Bulla
Well yes, Super doesn't have anything like Goku vs. Cell, but neither does most of Z. It's not like every fight in Z was like that. That was an exception. I honestly think the choreography on display here can totally hold up next to the average Z fight. It's actually pretty rare in Z to have a straight up long martial arts hand-to-hand session of back and forth like this. DRAGON BALL on the other hand, now that's a different story. That was the norm.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Artorias wrote:
gofishus wrote:

Well yes, Super doesn't have anything like Goku vs. Cell, but neither does most of Z. It's not like every fight in Z was like that. That was an exception. I honestly think the choreography on display here can totally hold up next to the average Z fight. It's actually pretty rare in Z to have a straight up long martial arts hand-to-hand session of back and forth like this. DRAGON BALL on the other hand, now that's a different story. That was the norm.
The choreography in this episode was awful. Compare this to, Vegeta's last stand against Kid Buu, Super Buu, Fat Buu, Frieza, Zarbon, Recoome, etc. It's very stiff, one dimensional, there is little to no impact or creativity in composition - just an overall mess. Creatively the show has just continued to fail in creating atmosphere, displaying emotions or the character's convictions, or displaying these fighting bouts in any interesting way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW49MyMtdU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LliGkyoEdwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xowoA8aDs

Compared to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh4oT0-S4a0

it's just laughable.
Last edited by supersaiyanZero on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Come on guys, don't be so harsh on ZenkaiBoosts, he just liked the episode and he is very passionate about it, there's nothing wrong with that. Our lives are already full of conflict, many come on this forum to relax and talk about what they enjoy, with people who share the same passion, he doesn't need to be made fun of like that.
He is the one creating the conflict. He's calling out specific posts he doesn't agree with, which is fine, but then he replies without any sort of counter argument and instead saying things like we're just Vegeta fanboys who can't have civilized discussions when pretty much everyone is being civilized except him. On top of that he keeps reposting the same things over and over several times without any sort of organized structure about how this was the best episode ever and if you don't agree then you're not paying attention, youre a vegeta fanboy etc. Its like having some little kid around saying random shit when adults are trying to have a conversation

Just look at the thread he made recently where pretty much everybody who posted disagreed with him and you can see how he reacts to differing opinions. And then he had the audacity to say we are the ones who aren't being civilized and having real arguments.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Zagacious wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Come on guys, don't be so harsh on ZenkaiBoosts, he just liked the episode and he is very passionate about it, there's nothing wrong with that. Our lives are already full of conflict, many come on this forum to relax and talk about what they enjoy, with people who share the same passion, he doesn't need to be made fun of like that.
He is the one creating the conflict. He's calling out specific posts he doesn't agree with, which is fine, but then he replies without any sort of counter argument and instead saying things like we're just Vegeta fanboys who can't have civilized discussions when pretty much everyone is being civilized except him. On top of that he keeps reposting the same things over and over several times without any sort of organized structure about how this was the best episode ever and if you don't agree then you're not paying attention, youre a vegeta fanboy etc. Its like having some little kid around saying random shit when adults are trying to have a conversation

Just look at the thread he made recently where pretty much everybody who posted disagreed with him and you can see how he reacts to differing opinions. And then he had the audacity to say we are the ones who aren't being civilized and having real arguments.
I understand your point of view as well, you too have valid points. I just hate seeing people arguing around here, this is supposed to be a peaceful place for us fans :D
Get Fucked, C_unt

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I've been watching reaction videos to episode 128 for a good while now lol

People were crying. Goku's moment too

So many people were freaking out and losing their minds when Goku went Omen

I can only imagine the hype when Goku transforms into mastered UI. People will be legit having having heart attacks of pure excitement and brain aneurisms of hype lol

And people were losing their minds with hype and going even crazier when Omen Goku landed that devastating body counter on Jiren and we saw Jiren was in legit pain for the first time ever.

When you only frequent one place or consider yourself an elitest, its easy to stay in little bubble and never understand just how beloved Super/Goku is. You wont realize the impact and reach Super has had (especially these last couple episodes) until you watch reaction videos

Or if you watch with friends like a lot do

Look at this comment from a video about Goku's motivational break through moment/Omen transformation

Over 600 likes.

If you read the rest of the comments. You see many other comments along the lines of "I cried when Goku thought about every one counting on him and refusing to let them down - and that piano playing/the music"

I think some people kind of close themselfes off, or just naturally dont generally feel emotion. There are people out there like that, and so these scenes don't touch them

But if you watch reaction videos to Super episodes 127 and 128, you will see how heavily it touches the average person and how many people have out right cried over 127 and 128
Christ you're annoying.

Here's an idea - stop trying to project your overstated opinion on the episode and getting upset because the majority here disagree with you. It's extremely childish.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
The choreography in this episode was awful. Compare this to, Vegeta's last stand against Kid Buu, Super Buu, Fat Buu, Frieza, Zarbon, Recoome, etc. It's very stiff, one dimensional, there is little to no impact or creativity in composition - just an overall mess. Creatively the show has just continued to fail in creating atmosphere, displaying emotions or the character's convictions, or displaying these fighting bouts in any interesting way.

it's just laughable.
You are over reacting, it isnt that much of a difference TBH, they just had more blood and battle damage back then, that is all.

Also the Cell vs Goku fight, the only good part of it was what was taken directly from the manga, rest was just average stuff with average animation.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:07 pm

buutenks wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:

it's just laughable.
You are over reacting, it isnt that much of a difference TBH, they just had more blood and battle damage back then, that is all.

Also the Cell vs Goku fight, the only good part of it was what was taken directly from the manga, rest was just average stuff with average animation.
Are you serious? I'm not even talking about the detail put into the art that you are referring to but instead the direction, composition, and choreography. If you can't see the drastic difference between them and the same ol' "i'ma throw a flurry of stiff punches in poorly composed shots" in Super than I really can't continue this conversation with you. Comments such as yours are completely biased and have no objectivity whatsoever. You can show all those clips side by side in an animation class, photography class, or directing class and Super's clip would stick out like a sore thumb due to its mediocrity.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Artorias wrote:
gofishus wrote:

it's just laughable.
"The choreography in this episode was awful."

That is an opinion so utterly insane to me that I don't even know where to begin responding. So I guess I won't. It's fine if you think that I guess, but I don't. So...yea.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Artorias wrote:
gofishus wrote:

it's just laughable.
No it is not. Those fights you mentioned barely had any creative choreography of martial arts, mostly repeated frames, (I guess Vegeta vs Reccome was pretty nice, it had some good animation and it was well boarded but pretty standard choreography) and Super has many fights with much better choreographies. This episode had some actual martial arts moves, cool dodging, blocking and flashy moves, something Z didn't often have. It's not even close to the best Super has. Also, how can you call this episode an overall mess and then mention the Goku vs Frieza fight, which is mostly contained of Rough looped frames and an actual mess.

Saiyng it was one dimensional and stiff is super vague, what do you even mean by one dimensional? It wasn't just looped frames of punching, there was quite a bit of variety in the fighting department so it's definitely not one dimensional. As for this being stiff, I don't even know what you mean by that, the way you describe it is missing context. How can a choreography even be stiff, you may not like the animation itself and how the movements looked, but it has nothing to do with actual fighting choreography. Everything else you said about creativity in composition has nothing to do with chroeography so it's irrelevant and also subjective. I strongly disagree about the fighting lacking impact and emotion, I thought the impact was rather strong when Jiren knocked the Blue out of Goku and the rest of the hits, and how both Goku and Vegeta looked desperate with their futile assaults. I have no idea what you mean by creativity in composition, composiotion in animated films is all about the special effects, the colors, matching backgrounds to the animation and the way everything is put together basically, it's vague like I already said.
Last edited by Amir on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.